Songbirds

retread

Say what you want about Roger Waters' politics, and say what you want about Sinead O'Connor's batshit crazy everything, but she's an amazing singer, and this clip of her leading THE BAND on a Pink Floyd tune kinda blows my mind:

Edited by jimmyjazz

I have a friend who books a lot of shows, and he swears Kacey is not a very likable person.

I find it hard to believe.  Whatever, she sings like an angel and writes with a very rare wit.  She can be a bitch in real life and it doesn't change my feelings about her music.

Beauty can be distracting.  If you couldn't rub one out to a stone cold B, then there probably wouldn't be much pron left.

The musically corollary:  If you couldn't enjoy someone's music because they're an asshole/bitch/terrible person, you'd be missing out on a lot of good music.  You could have a never ending thread of Artist X is an asshole because Y.  

I once read a review of about Kelly Willis that said, "She sings like an angel with hell-scorched wings."

And since some asshole already posted Flatt Lonesome, I'll add Alison Krauss.  I remember a review that said, "When Alison sings, angels stop to take notes." 

And how about 3 together...

• Like 2

I don't think we had an appearance of Julie Miller on the other site.  Let's fix that, pronto.  Her health is really bad and she doesn't tour anymore but what a talent.  She wrote this song as a prayer, then put it to music.   Second video has Patty Griffin with the harmony vocals.

Edited by hullabelew

Kim Richey is criminally underrated.  Nevermind her stunning voice......there is so much great stuff in this song she cowrote.  

As she sings "I'm Alright", she delays behind the background vocals.......  Just to let you know that she is trying to convince herself that she is OK.  I can't think of another song where this happens, but it is brilliant writing and execution.  

Brilliant lyrics..... 
A little ragged around the edges,
shot down but I'm still standing,
A litted banged up from the fall,
still shakey from the landing, 
Walking a little wounded, 

Then the bridge:

"And every now and then I think about you
Oh every now and they I cross the line"

I love watching her perform.    Another well written song...lots of great hooks throughout.