Best Round of Golf

Hate

We did this several years ago on Shaggy and it was pretty fun.  We have some new faces since then, so it may be fun to do again here.  

I shot a 78 at Roy Kizer several years ago.  I played just a few minutes after the State Championships has finished, so the course was in great shape.  They had grown the Bermuda rough high enough that if you didn't hit the fairway you were going to have a tough time getting the ball to the green.  Hell, it was deep enough that it might take a while to find your ball in the rough.  The greens were in perfect shape and I made a lot of putts.  I don't play even close to as much as I did back then and can't imagine playing that well right now.  Reminiscing is all I have.

It was a buddy's bachelor party.  July of 2013.  A large group of us were staying at his family's lake house on Lake Okmanpedan, straddling the Iowa/Minnesota border.  The agenda for Day 2 was a round of golf at the local country club.  Tee time was 10AM.

I was up about 6AM, and hit started on the Bloody Marys by 7:15.  By the time we got to the course, I was polluted.

I managed to drink another 6 pack on the course, drive a golf cart off a tee box, ram at least 4 carts as fast as I could, try to drive golf balls like Happy Gilmore, not complete a single hole, and we were asked to leave before we could start a second 9.  It was about 12:30PM at that point.

Best day of golf, ever.

• Like 1

Love how 2 posts in, its no longer best score, but best round.

Best score: tied at 74 32 times.  Once 3 days before my wedding at cowboys golf club.  Was actually -2 through 12 when I realized what was happening and then promptly double bogeyed.  

Matched it a year ago at my old club on a friday playing by myself and even bogeyed 18.

Best Round: First time playing pebble beach with my dad.  Think I shot a 91 but birdied 6 and hit an unreal shot into the green on 18 that I will never forget.  Super special walk with my hero and Ill never forget it. We got LIT up after the round together in the tap room and smoked cigars by the fire pits at spanish bay until late that evening.  Special trip.  

God I love golf.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Longhornanth said:

Best score: tied at 74 32 times.  Once 3 days before my wedding at cowboys golf club.  Was actually -2 through 12 when I realized what was happening and then promptly double bogeyed.  

Matched it a year ago at my old club on a friday playing by myself and even bogeyed 18.

Best Round: First time playing pebble beach with my dad.  Think I shot a 91 but birdied 6 and hit an unreal shot into the green on 18 that I will never forget.  Super special walk with my hero and Ill never forget it. We got LIT up after the round together in the tap room and smoked cigars by the fire pits at spanish bay until late that evening.  Special trip.  

God I love golf.

Very cool.  I've only been to Carmel once (didn't play PB).  The fire pit at SB is a great view.

My best round is a 78.

My best round came this last weekend at the Tour 18 in Humble.

They started us on 10 and I started slow with a couple of doubles in the first 4 holes. Only hit one green in regulation, but rolled in a lot of putts to scramble to a 43 on the front. Made the turn, and something clicked. Played the last 6 holes at 4 under and turned in a 2-under 34 to finish it out for a 77. The 25 putts for the day was a new personal record as well.

Golf is a funny game. I'm a 12 handicap that shot a 101 2 weeks ago at a local muni here in Longview. Made one small change to my setup and the last 2 rounds I've played have been in the 70's.

I don't play or practice nearly enough any more to ever get good again, so my lowest round to date will very likely stay the lowest round of my life.  Practice round for the Central Texas Amateur several years ago (Forest Creek) the day before the event.  Perfect greens, no wind, pins mostly in easy spots...keeping traffic off the tournament locations.  Hit it great, only really made two bad swings and both of them turned out okay.  Fourteen pars and 4 birdies for a 68.

Three career onlys for me that day that I never equaled before or after...round at 4 under, round at 68 (on any par), and bogey free round.

The lights came on the next day and I humped a couple seventy-somethings on it like I'm supposed to.

Best score: 73 at Crooked Cat at Orange County National in Orlando (former Home of pga Q school finals). Missed a short putt on 18 for the 72.

Best round: hard to choose, played all over the world but the two that stand out are Old Head in Ireland and Kauri Cliffs in New Zealand. Both are unreal scenery, great golf courses, and I hit them at nice weather for walking with a caddie. 

Must be 25 years ago, on a public course where I grew up. Playing with my younger brother, and with 2 uncles who were both club champions. I shot a +1 73, missing a 15 footer for birdie on the 18th for even par. My uncle from Texas who was up here (he grew up in the area too) teamed up for a big win that day winning every bet & press.

I used to play a lot back then and would break 80 about 1/2 the time, I played to about a 7 or 8 at the time, and that round was an outlier. Today I'm lucky to shoot 85 or better, when I get out 8-10 times a year.

Best round - it is too hard to pick one, I play of the time spent with friends more than anything else these days; and I'm always hoping my next round will be a great one.

Edited by Wally Fairway

Definitely not my lowest number but I shot 75 at Sawgrass from the back tee and the rough up. Never missed a fairway and had a great caddie reading greens for me. 

Another guy and I have the course record at a local 9 hole course with a 10 under 60.

Spyglass is probably the best course I’ve seen so far. Pebble is a $50 golf course with $1000 views IMO. Torrey was a beast. Still think Crown Colony is a gem. Chenal ranks pretty highly for me as well.

3 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Definitely not my lowest number but I shot 75 at Sawgrass from the back tee and the rough up. Never missed a fairway and had a great caddie reading greens for me. 

Another guy and I have the course record at a local 9 hole course with a 10 under 60.

Spyglass is probably the best course I’ve seen so far. Pebble is a $50 golf course with $1000 views IMO. Torrey was a beast. Still think Crown Colony is a gem. Chenal ranks pretty highly for me as well.

I've heard that about Pebble although I've never played it.  I agree on Crown Colony.

Still have never broken par after all these years through 18 holes.  Best 9 holes was -5 on the back 9 at Lakewood.  Shot 45 on the front.  Only other time I did something like that was at Las Colinas CC where I shot 50-35.

Not sure I can pinpoint a best round ever, but in recent memory the TX-OU two day invitational last fall has to rank pretty highly.  

Texanbychoice losing his shoes and travel bag after about 3 pitchers of Frozen Deep Eddy's was a highlight of the event, for sure.

• Like 1

Day 1 of a 2-day tourney

On the easiest hole on the course, short par-4 #16, I somehow pulled my tee shot dead left into the boulder hole marker and it ricocheted into the woods, causing me to retee and lose 2 strokes.

Shot a 76 which gave me a 10 stroke lead going into Day 2!

087270_C7_DB0_A_4936_A86_D_18_D52_D8_AD7

Best round was a 77 last summer - as they say, I left some out there too.

Most fun on the course was an attempted 9 holes at Crystal Beach GC on Bolivar Peninsula. Absolute gem of a course that should be hosting major championships. Not sure we remembered to pay our "green" fees.

Honorable mention goes to the semi-bladed pitching wedge I dunked for a hole-in-one in front of my future FIL.

Best score:  79.   Sherill Park in Richardson.  Back before the kid and I was able to play at least once a week.  Now I am lucky to play once a quarter.  I miss it so.

Best round:   Edgewood Course in Tahoe in July 2011.   My bachelor party trip with my best man and groomsmen.  Played the course a week after the big celebrity pro am.  Stayed drunk the entire round and didn't play for shit, but didn't care.  So much fun and damn what a pretty course.  #17- Par 3 right on the shore is incredible.    Killed it on the black jack and craps tables that weekend too.  Best trip I have ever had except for the honeymoon in Germany.  (that's where I got the pics of my wife's tits in my avatar).

33 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Worst-best day would be the time on Crystal Falls where I was even through 15 then posted an 11 on the par 4 #16.

Ahh, Crystal Falls where I learned the beautiful game.  Played it so much as a kid that I had to take a break from it for a long time but it definitely improved.   16 can be a deceptive bitch, usually ended up in the shit short and right of the green or in that deep grass bunker....and that green was like a mini golf course...

Best score was 69 (par 71) at the Buckhorn right off I-10 in comfort.  Funny because two days before I shot 87 at Jimmy Clay (I think that’s what it was called).  

Best round was 80 at the Ocean Course on Kiawah Island.  I played it a month to the day before the PGA Championship was going to be played there. Shot 38-42 and bogied 18 from the center of the fairway to miss out on breaking 80.  They had begun the process of getting ready for the tournament and it was really cool to see bleachers and hospitality areas going up as you were playing.

Never gotten below 4 over.  Had alot of chances, but I am classically mentally weak on a golf course.  Way to much in my own head.  Decided I needed to just have fun with it or quit.  Glad I gave up caring about my score as it is a great way to spend a day.  Drinks, friends and laughs beats grinding over a 5 footer by a long shot.

Best score - 73 at Star Ranch. I was even going into 18. I tried to get over the middle bunker in 2 with a 3 wood, ballooned it, wind killed it, fried egg in the bunker.  Chunked it out all of 5 yards. Wedge into green, miss left, another fried egg. At this point I'm thinking I'm about to post a 15. Thankfully I splash out, 2 putt for a 7, finish +2 on the day.

Best round - the final round of any of our golf trips where we play a scramble, everyone is getting hammered, yelling obscenities, and listening to gangster rap. It usually at Ram Rock or Apple Rock so the course is great on top of it all.

The only time I broke 80 was at Kizer.  Late December, temperature about 38 degrees and the wind blowing about 10-15.  Had to walk because it was too cold to ride and playing from the tips.  Parred 18 with a long putt to shoot 78.  Can barely sniff 90 now.

Lowest score was a 77 at Grey Rock; made birds on 17&18.

Best round is a tie both last year:

Pebble Beach. Weather was PERFECT with the highlight being grabbing a half bottle of champagne at the turn and sipping VC from the bottle while walking down the fairways of PB over looking the ocean.

Made a long birdie putt on 17 and walk to the 18th tee with a shot at breaking 90.

Yada yada yada I made an 8 on #18 for a F'n 91.

Still was a great day.

The other was a tournament I played at Hazeltine after having been there the year prior for the Ryder Cup. 

Such a special day, caught fire mid way through the round and ended up winning the tournament (it was handicapped).

Golf gives me the feels...

Best score:  69, going 2 times around at a rinky dink 9-hole course in Eldora, Iowa.

Best competition score:  76

Best golf I've ever played:  -3 after 13 holes on a tough Veenker golf course in Ames, played from the tips (in '86 before technology made old classic courses like that obsolete).  On the 14th tee, sliced one into the woods.  Plopped another down and sliced it into the woods.  It was getting dark so we just called it a day.

Lowest score: 88 at a shit Muni in Irving, TX. It was awesome, though. Threat of rain kept the crowd away and I was able to play by myself with no one in front or behind the entire way. That was pretty liberating for me. I was crushing my tee shots(within reason) and made a couple of legit birdies and a 30ft par putt. 

Best score: Shot even par 72 at Lost Creek when I worked there in college.  Birdied the last 3 holes.  1 over on the tee at the par 3 18th.  Thinking about shooting par, and as a result, hit it onto the fringe of the putting green adjacent to 18.  Holed the wedge shot.  Haven't shot lower than 79 since.

Best round: my grandfather and I won a tournament at his club.  On 18, he played his approach first and put it in the drink.  I knocked mine stiff and tapped it in.  Won by a stroke.

Best 9 score: Estes Park, CO course in which I flew the first green not realizing the higher altitude dictated distance.  Came back to par the 1st hole and shoot a 30 (out of 31).  Doesn't seem that impressive with no par 5's but my short game usually sucks and it was on point.

Best 18: 2nd time playing Man O' War in Myrtle Beach.  Roughs were burned out and made a 40 foot birdie putt on the first hole that I wish I had footage of to this day.  Ended up shooting a 73 and made enough money from side bets to pay off drinks for the weekend.  

Best score: about 10 years ago, 73 at Tijeras Creek in RSM, CA.

A day when SIX birdies wasn't enough to break par. Birdied 7,8 and made a 50-ft snake on 9 for three in a row and -2 on front. Missed 8ft par putt on 18 for E

best Round: Pebble in 2000

birdied 1, lipped out 2 and 3, missed a 2 ft birdie on 7. Stodd on 9 tee at E then went double double. Birdied 13 to back to +3 then shanked a 3i OB on 14 and laid the sod over a sw on 18 for a double to shoot 81.

Honorable Mention: HOCO 1st Edition - hilarious. Scorecard playoff win against Dad and shockingly, found a few new golf buddies!

God I love golf.

Uhhh. Definitely not 32 times. Not yet at least.

2 times. Twice. As Implied by the explanations.

Thanks to spur for the heads up on that one.

A couple of weeks after my divorce was final, my oldest son and I got on a plane and flew down to the Bahamas for a week.  On the second day there, I was getting ready to tee off on the third hole.  I picked my head up and thought for a second, "Here I am at 10:30 in the morning, in the Caribbean teeing off on a Robert Trent Jones course, with a Cuban cigar in my mouth and several beers down with more in the cooler in the cart.  This is pretty good."  I have no idea what I shot or how many balls I lost.  Best round ever.  

Best score was a 78 at Bluebonnet Hill.  Only hit 3 fairways but hit 14 greens.  Irons were dialed in.  Hit some crazy recovery shots from some crazy places.  Most notably on #6 (I think as I haven't played out there in years) that runs along the back of the property.  Yanked my drive into the waste area on the left.  My ass was touching the barbed wire fence making the property line and I hit a low cut 5 iron from a sandy lie that somehow tracked in to about 12 feet pin high.  That was emblematic of that round.  I did go -1 on the par 3s though.  If I could putt it probably would have been a 74.

Best round was probably an 80 at Morris Williams from the "tips" about 20 years ago.  That course is a bitch for my game.

Edited by Felix

I'm not a fan of Crystal Falls either. So much gimmick going on from tee to green.  There are some quality holes but some are just downright comical (two mega downhill par 3's? That par 5 that squeezes down to like 10 yards wide in the layup area? Hole 16 and 17... and 18? That stupid giant tree on the water carry drive on hole 4 I think?). It's a lot better than it used to be but I'm with you, I won't play there unless it's on discount.

Apparently they are ripping up 14 of the holes and rerouting them. I'd be tempted to give them another shot after that. They keep that place in pretty damn good condition year round, I'll give them that. Fix the routing and some of the crazy greens and I think they could have a winner on their hands.

The flip to this is it's entirely possible they are rerouting 14 holes to make room for more houses out there which would put the nail in the coffin for me.

Shooting -1 in college at Lions is what really got me into golf, and have shot under par quite a few times. But my best round ever was probably a 4 over at Pinehurst #2, the day after the North-South Amateur so the course was in tournament conditions. Best I have ever played. 

A few summers ago, I got in a groove where every round was around 76.   One day I shot an even 72 at my home course Gentle Creek. Since then, I think I've only been in the 70's a couple times.  I've been 2 under once on 9 holes, never under par on a full round

One 59 at a 6100 yard, par 70 track. A couple 61s. Those were years ago. Still shoot under par relatively often but don’t get to play or practice enough to shoot anything too low anymore. Need to get the handicap up to member guest standards soon though.

20 years ago on Labor day weekend. Dropped over to Grand National at Auburn on a spur of the moment - need to play some golf. Walked on and shot 81 from the blues. Don;t remember anything spectacualr but obviously I didn't screw up either. Wish I could play that well now but time marches on.

16 minutes ago, Lurch said:

11 under! How perfect/imperfect were you on those days? Ie, after the round were you still identifying shots you “should have made” or did you feel like you squeezed every last drop out of the course?

Definitely felt like i left some out there, but when you get down to it, I definitely make some putts that were definitely far from certain, so it all probably evened out. I hit every green and maybe missed one fairway. Golf is a weird, weird game. The days you hit it well, it seems to be the days you don’t putt as well and vice versa. Rarely does everything align.