Best Round of Golf

Hate

18 hours ago, ocugolf said:

Definitely felt like i left some out there, but when you get down to it, I definitely make some putts that were definitely far from certain, so it all probably evened out. I hit every green and maybe missed one fairway. Golf is a weird, weird game. The days you hit it well, it seems to be the days you don’t putt as well and vice versa. Rarely does everything align.

Truer words have never been spoken.  

1996 at Forrest Creek Golf Club in Round Rock.  37-30 for a 67 from the Blue tees.  The back 9 was magical and it remains one of the two rounds of my life under par.  My other one was a 71 at Onion Creek.  I'm a really shitty golfer now and can barely break 90.  

I aced Hole 4 at Hancock - 139yd 8 iron right on the stick.  Not my best scoring round but definitely my favorite round.   I think I finished one over for the round which at the time was the best score I'd ever shot on 9 holes.

Edited by krevo

On 3/27/2018 at 6:40 PM, Lurch said:

Worst-best day would be the time on Crystal Falls where I was even through 15 then posted an 11 on the par 4 #16.

that course will definitely eat golf balls.  I've had perfectly good (looking) drives just disappear over a hill.  

Shot a 74 at Kizer about 12-13 years ago.  I had a friend that worked with me, and once daylight savings kicked in, we walked as many holes as we could at Kizer or Clay on Wednesdays after work.  Straight from the truck to #1 tee, off and rolling by 5:20 PM.  We usually got 18 in.  Maybe more during June / July / August.

Started fairway-green-3 putt on 1.  Fuck.  Holes 2-18, I hit every GIR.  Got home in two on 14 as well.  Hole 1 was a 3-putt.  Holes 2-13 were 2-putt pars.  14 was a 3-putt par (doh).  15,16,17 were 2-putt pars and on 18, after sticking my approach below the hole with a 15-ft uphill putt for bird, I managed to 3-jack for bogey.  So, a smooth 74 with 18 GIR and 39 putts.  Sixteen pars and two bogies.  The odd thing is, I've always been a pretty fucking decent putter.  I burned lips all day long, they just never fell.

Shot a 74 at Lions that same summer, but that was all over the place with five birdies, four bogies and two doubles.  Had kids shortly thereafter, and my golf game went to shit.  Now, I'm lucky if I play twice a year and I'm glad when I keep it in double digits.

18 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Had kids shortly thereafter, and my golf game went to shit.  Now, I'm lucky if I play twice a year and I'm glad when I keep it in double digits.

Nothing will fuck up your golf game faster.  I'm self taught and was shooting in the low to mid eighties in less than 2 years after picking up the game in '08.    I used to go play Clay/Kizer after work as well when they were offering the Range Grinder for 50 bucks a month.  Had my first kid in '13 and haven't played more than 4 times a year since.  

Nothing will fuck up your golf game faster.  I'm self taught and was shooting in the low to mid eighties in less than 2 years after picking up the game in '08.    I used to go play Clay/Kizer after work as well when they were offering the Range Grinder for 50 bucks a month.  Had my first kid in '13 and haven't played more than 4 times a year since.  

Yep. We had a baby nurse for about two weeks when my first kid was born. I wasn't needed so I played four times in those two weeks. That was more than I played in the next five years.

It's gets better after your youngest is 4 or 5.

4 hours ago, HouTex said:

Yep. We had a baby nurse for about two weeks when my first kid was born. I wasn't needed so I played four times in those two weeks. That was more than I played in the next five years.

It's gets better after your youngest is 4 or 5.

Yep. Especially if they get into golf.  My oldest enjoys playing, so when I do play, it's with him.  He enjoys baseball, hunting and fishing more than golf, so we tend to do that more.  And I a'int complaining.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 1:30 PM, VolenteHawk said:

Three career onlys for me that day that I never equaled before or after...round at 4 under, round at 68 (on any par), and bogey free round.

Shot my 2nd career 68 at Great Hills on Tuesday.  5 birdies and 2 bogies (par 71), I haven't been playing much or practicing at all...but I hit the center of a lot of greens, two putted for birdie twice, and made a couple.

shot 74 in a skins game at Ram Rock. Was windy as shit and the fairways were petty bare. greens were fast as hell. Birdied #8 from the back tees. I havent finished that fucking hole very many times.

was playing with wes short and justin otto. they both beat me.

My best round was an 86, but I think it was a total fluke. It was on the course that used to be part of Carswell AFB before it became NAS- JRB Fort Worth and the base sold the course off. I haven't played in around 15 years though. So I have no idea how well (or not) I could play today.

Edited by HOOK'EMHOOAH

Not sure how I've failed to chime in on this thread. 

Best round is the 70 (-2) I put up last August at Streamsong Red, to win my flight (1st flight but not the open flight, forget the name) at the two-day Streamsong. I hadn't done anything particularly well that week in practice rounds or the day before at Blue, but had at the same time managed to avoid all the big numbers as well. On the day in question, I birdied 3 and 7, made an all-world up and down par on 8, birdied 10, bogey'd 11, then parred in (making ~6' par putts on 17 and 18). Out of body experience, and without an doubt the best I've ever hit a golf ball.

Most memorable round is a three-way tie. Both of my holes-in-one have come when playing with my dad - #13 at Avery, and #7 at Star Ranch. Then in a recent member-three-guest tournament with three gents on this thread, one of those gentlemen split the fairway with a long, soft draw. Just an excellent all around swing. And I put it 40 yards past him. The ball hadn't even apexed yet and I hear one of the other guys say, behind me ... "that was a dick move." 

Similar conversation always happens on the "best course you've ever played" topic. I've never been to Bandon Dunes, but have been fortunate enough to play some PGA tracks, even a few major-championship tracks. Only Olympic in SF has left me speechless. That's an incredible golf course.

Edited by capnamerca

20 years ago on Labor day weekend. Walked on at Grand National outside Auburn. I had played it before and loved it so I tried again. Dropped an 81 from the blues. COuldn't complaign about not getting under 80 because I remember that I did not mishit anything - just a really good time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My lowest score was fifteen years ago, on a cool misty November afternoon. I shot a smooth 79, witnessed by number two son and my late father in law. My best round was 1987, on a rough as a cob West Texas muni.  Played til dark with my wife, and after putting out on the last, she commandeered the cart and headed to the number four green, about a quarter mile from the cart shed. That girl is something. 

• Like 1

Best round is the 70 (-2) I put up last August at Streamsong Red, to win my flight (1st flight but not the open flight, forget the name) at the two-day Streamsong. I hadn't done anything particularly well that week in practice rounds or the day before at Blue, but had at the same time managed to avoid all the big numbers as well. On the day in question, I birdied 3 and 7, made an all-world up and down par on 8, birdied 10, bogey'd 11, then parred in (making ~6' par putts on 17 and 18). Out of body experience, and without an doubt the best I've ever hit a golf ball.

You were in Palmer. Guy won that flight w 73/76 this year. Champ leader went 70/70.

I went 80 (red)/89 (blue)... damnit.

Loved both courses, but Red was the clear favorite

Still a good score. Fun course. Although I hate 10 and 18.

Thanks, 10 and 18 can be tough as hell depending on wind. I’ve never once hit it in the lake on 18 but pushed the hell out of it. Such a choke job, but at least I’m back shooting 70’s most of the time now.

Best round was at Bluebonnet earlier this year. Got out of the car and went straight to the tee. On 1 I took a divot with my driver, topped the second from the fairway, then pitched in for eagle from 50 yards. -2 after 1 and +2 after 3. That trend continued until my hole in one on 17. 

I'm ready for the tour.

Had my first even par front nine on home course.  Was 1 under going into 8 and three putted.  75 yards out on 9 and came up horribly short on wedge.  Nearly chipped in for birdie but it hopped out of the hole to about a foot.

Struggled on the back 9 with 4 bogeys, couldn't make any putts.  Still I think it was my best round from the back tees.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 2:30 PM, bmbmd said:

My lowest score was fifteen years ago, on a cool misty November afternoon. I shot a smooth 79, witnessed by number two son and my late father in law. My best round was 1987, on a rough as a cob West Texas muni.  Played til dark with my wife, and after putting out on the last, she commandeered the cart and headed to the number four green, about a quarter mile from the cart shed. That girl is something. 

Great day!

Most memorable round is a three-way tie. Both of my holes-in-one have come when playing with my dad - #13 at Avery, and #7 at Star Ranch. Then in a recent member-three-guest tournament with three gents on this thread, one of those gentlemen split the fairway with a long, soft draw. Just an excellent all around swing. And I put it 40 yards past him. The ball hadn't even apexed yet and I hear one of the other guys say, behind me ... "that was a dick move." 
Similar conversation always happens on the "best course you've ever played" topic. I've never been to Bandon Dunes, but have been fortunate enough to play some PGA tracks, even a few major-championship tracks. Only Olympic in SF has left me speechless. That's an incredible golf course.

Haha that was my drive and yes it was a Dick move.

• 4 weeks later...

Best score was a 78 at lookout mountain country club in Tennessee

Best score at a historic venue is 83 at pebble

Best overall round i ever played was a 92 at spy glass.  I hit 13/14 fairways hitting the ball long, but was still having to hit 3,4,5 iron into those damn tiny ass elevated greens and then chip and putt.  That course was set up for the tourney so it was brutal. two weeks later Michelson shot 62 there and confirmed how much i suck a golf

Shot 88 at the old course at St. Andrews which was solid given the wind and rain and shit going on that day