Midland/Odessa food & drink

BTW

I always meant to do this on the other site, but thought I'd go ahead and toss it here. Maybe it belongs in Both Tacos?

I know that some of you have to come out here for work/family on occasion.  With the current boom we are experiencing new places are popping up all over the place.  I'll drop a partial list below and try to keep it updated for those who are interested:

Old-ish favorites:

Wall Street Bar and Grill - Old school steak/American restaurant located downtown, decent cocktails and most of the menu items are really solid

Cancun Grill - Peninsula style Mexican food, the corn queso is seriously legit as are most of the menu items. Very well run and also downtown

Luigi's -  Downtown Italian food - has been around a long time and all of the menu items I have tried are delicious

Newer options:

Opal's table - Chef Chip Hight opened this a year or two ago.  It's located downtown and is pretty popular with the lunch crowd.  I've had some really solid items from here and some that are so-so.  The bar/mixology is some of the best in Midland (IMHO). 

Ally Café - recently opened Ally Outdoors gun range has a café that is seriously legit.  Everything I have had here is delicious and Chef Callie is always adding new delicious stuff.  This is located on the northeast part of town.

Cork & Pig - this was opened about 4 or 5 years ago (I think) and is located between Midland and Odessa, but closer to Odessa.  Again, everything I've had is really solid here and it's work the trip out there.  There is a decent bar next door called Proof, but you might want to Uber out there if you are planning to make a night of it.

Taco Del Vino is a new street taco place that is really solid as well.  Great menu, they accept cash only.

Fast options:

We have this Mexican fast food restaurant called Rosa's and it's better than the best of Taco C, Taco Bell and Taco Bueno by a large margin.

Living 360 Organics is actually a pretty solid option for those looking for a healthier option.  They have Smoothies, wraps and Acai bowls.  This is also by far the best people watching as it is inundated at lunch time with MILFs in yoga pants.

Good recs in this thread. Another Midlander here. In addition to what others have said (with which I generally agree), I'd add the following:

1) Blue Door - only real craft cocktail type place in Midland. I'm a bit of a regular there. Not as swanky as Proof over in Odessa.

2) La Condessa for Mexican (that and the previously mentioned La Carreta are my favorites for Mexican)

3) Cane d'Oro pizza truck - check them out on Facebook. They have a couple of places around town where they regularly post up. Pizza is legit.

4) Thai House is pretty decent Thai, no atmosphere.

5) Ohana Poke, new Hawaiian poke place is pretty tasty for lunch. Fish was fresh on their grand opening, hope it stays that way.

Getting out of town as often as possible is definitely a must for my sanity.

• 3 weeks later...

Garlic Press is overrated but the duck with crawfish etouffee is fantastic.

La Condesa is really good Mexican food. Dona Anita’s is great as well.

The best bbq comes from HEB, though Macs can be good if you catch them on a day everything didn’t come out from underneath the heat lamp. Their Mac n cheese is so so good.

The new pho place, Tasty 160, is pretty solid. Egg rolls are fantastic.

2 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Went there once when they first opened and it was decent, but I always forget about it and haven't been back. Is it still open?

It's not bad, but super slow.  It's great for little kids as all the tables are situated around a pond that has a ton of large goldfish in it.  

10 hours ago, tequila said:

The fried pork chops are the best I've ever had.  

This is what I get every. single. time. Two huge chops, mashed potatoes with brown gravy, black eyed peas, and homemade cornbread. 

I've had the meatloaf and just about died (way too much food). Also recommend the chicken fry.

I haven't had the BBQ but it looks generic. I typically don't get BBQ at places that do it as a sideline.

11 hours ago, deadshank said:

El Banquete on Rankin Hwy.  

We eat there often. My boss shares a birthday with one of the daughters, so it's a big deal for him to eat there. Good food. Green enchiladas with a couple of eggs on top will get you going in the morning.

3 hours ago, Equinox said:

We eat there often. My boss shares a birthday with one of the daughters, so it's a big deal for him to eat there. Good food. Green enchiladas with a couple of eggs on top will get you going in the morning.

Their salsa is really good. 

• 1 year later...