Texas State fires Everett Withers - Jake Spavital WVU OC hired

Machinator

8 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Teis is amazingly bad at his job. I know a fairly large donor and they said fuck it with him a few years ago and now keep their cash.

He's got to have nudies of President Trauth - that's the only thing that makes any sense.

Spav needs to get strong support from the President and alumni to accomplish what Herman did to bypass Plonsky..... Texas State could be a much more successful athletic program if Larry Teis goes away..... 

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

Teis is amazingly bad at his job. I know a fairly large donor and they said fuck it with him a few years ago and now keep their cash.

He's got to have nudies of President Trauth - that's the only thing that makes any sense.

in the past I have expressed a pretty strong opinion that Trauth has done a very good job for Texas State academically and I still stand by that for the PAST

she pushed through the name change which I always felt was important even if it made some mad, she has bumped enrollment without totally trashing admissions standards though I feel it is time Texas State starts to bump those up

she got Texas State to emerging research status and into a place where eventually they could get NRUF funding, she has been very successful with starting needed PhD programs not just garbage

their amount of research has grown significantly especially for a university with so few PhD programs, she was successful with the engineering programs (and accreditation for them as early as possible something another university in Texas struggled with) and they are adding another major and possibly one after that

she was successful with nursing and health sciences (although I think those could have been in San Marcos especially now, but at the time the money and population was in Round Rock and so far they have not tried to turn that into another new university that Texas does not need)

she got the new engineering building and has built new dorms, D1-A football with student support, the stajium looks good on the one side and that is all they need right now

she got the Aquarena Springs property

she has done so-so with academic donations with a few heavy hitters carrying most of the weight and it appears they are trying to start another fund raiser though it is not well advertised......they are in place to possibly get NRUF funding after UTA does (Tech, UH and just this year UTD have it and UTA is clearly next in line)....between UTEP, UTSA, Texas State and north Texas State each has their major flaws for NRUF funding, but it appears as of now Texas State could get it before UTEP and north Texas State and depending on the UT System support before UTSA......but UTEP is finally getting rid of their dead weight president and UTSA got rid of Dr. "Brazos" as well, but their new president has not made any major moves....north Texas state is just poorly run (with the exception of athletics right now, but they are flushing UH type money down the toilet on that and that hurts academically and it shows)

but having said all of that I have noticed recently that Dr. Trauth is taking a hard turn towards some hires in multiple departments at Texas State that are centered around "social justice" and less about the actual program those professors were hired for

reading what is going on with the athletics it reads like Kriss Plodsky running a dream athletics program where the mens sports are used to support a lot of women's programs while the men get shit.....Texas State has the budget and in fact a budget larger that north Texas state (both riding the backs of student fees and university subsidies) and the football stajium renovation was a long time ago and the university academic side is covering the expansion and removal of that dumb ass wall in the basketball arena so their budget should be solid.....Withers looked like a good hire to me even if not popular and who knows of Fran would have had the fire or gone full Mack Brown (it looks like Mack Brown with Little Debbie instead of cookies right now)

at this point looking at where academics is heading, considering her age, her lack of real fire for raising private dollars in a strong Texas economy, major donor support dropping out, and her length of tenure as a university president and how UTSA and UTEP both wallowed along under similar long term presidents with only a brief effort pushed by the UT System at UTSA before "Handsy Brazos" was pushed out and even what happened with north Texas state under their failed long term president al "ride the pine" hurley it is time for Trauth to go ASAP.....unlike the others listed she made great strides for Texas State and should be commended for that, but clearly she has lost focus and is trying to change (and harm) the direction of the university in her end years and she needs to go before she does long term damage and as it looks now before something bad possibly happens with a male athlete or athletes (health and physically ) that damages the university (shout out to Maryland)

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Will be held at Texas State in San Marcos, Tx.  Jake Spavital and Herb Hand are providing some of the training......

The Tony Franklin System presents – OC Magic: Join a great lineup of speakers for football’s first ever offensive coordinator & game planning certification school taking place Friday May 10 & Saturday May 11. Learn from 7 of the best play callers in the country on topics like – devising your offense, game day play calling, practice planning, finding match-ups for opportunities & issues, down & distance scripting, calling players plays instead of scheme plays, and so much more. Visit TonyFranklinFootball to reserve your spot today!

Edited by LTtxfan

On 3/19/2019 at 12:19 PM, ButtFumble said:

she pushed through the name change which I always felt was important even if it made some mad,

She literally had zero to do with the name change -- it was done by the student president and VP, Robert Doerr and Justin Fischer, completely without her backing.  She told them she wouldn't support it because it wouldn't get passed.  It had gotten tabled the previous year when Supple tried to get it done.  

Teis is still there because Trauth doesn't care about athletics -- the only thing she wants out of athletics is to not be bothered.  Therefore, avoiding NCAA infractions is #1 on her list, and Larry does that, so Larry is gold to her.  Bailiff, Wright, and Withers all got run off partly because they kept going around Teis and complaining directly to Trauth, which she absolutely couldn't stand.  

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

She literally had zero to do with the name change -- it was done by the student president and VP, Robert Doerr and Justin Fischer, completely without her backing.  She told them she wouldn't support it because it wouldn't get passed.  It had gotten tabled the previous year when Supple tried to get it done.  

Teis is still there because Trauth doesn't care about athletics -- the only thing she wants out of athletics is to not be bothered.  Therefore, avoiding NCAA infractions is #1 on her list, and Larry does that, so Larry is gold to her.  Bailiff, Wright, and Withers all got run off partly because they kept going around Teis and complaining directly to Trauth, which she absolutely couldn't stand.  

it was a long time ago. but I thought Supple was the one against it and even with student presidents and VPs wanting something their input and desires are meaningless if the president desires otherwise

either way it happened early in her watch and it was very important and she has done a lot of other good things, but I think her time to go has come and she should be gone sooner than later without regard to anything athletics related

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

it was a long time ago. but I thought Supple was the one against it and even with student presidents and VPs wanting something their input and desires are meaningless if the president desires otherwise

either way it happened early in her watch and it was very important and she has done a lot of other good things, but I think her time to go has come and she should be gone sooner than later without regard to anything athletics related

Supple, Doerr, and Fischer tried to get it done the previous year, but it got tabled by the legislature.  NTSU had tried several times to drop the "North," but they had gotten shot down by the legislature.  Supple wanted it to be his "going-away present."  Trauth came in, and Doerr and Fischer spoke to her about it, and she said that it wouldn't pass because of what happened the previous year, and that she wouldn't back it.  Doerr and Fischer tried to get faculty support -- they actually came to me and asked if I'd help them (they had taken classes from me) and I told them I didn't think it had any chance of getting through the legislature because Supple couldn't get it done.  So they found a legislator to help them (Jeff Wentworth? or something like that) and he agreed to write the bill. That year, the legislature got pre-occupied on some other issue and the name change basically got rubber stamped because no one was paying attention.  So it was literally done completely without Trauth's involvement.  If you remember, the movement to 1-A was also done completely without her involvement -- a student vote to increase fees to fund the move. 

Completely agree with your last sentence about Trauth -- she made some exceptionally important changes here (when Supple was here, we would basically never even ask for things because we knew the answer would be "There's no money for that."  Trauth really changed that mindset.), but she has gotten very stale the past several years (and not just on athletics), and she has lost a lot of support from the faculty, though she's still popular overall.   

31 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Supple, Doerr, and Fischer tried to get it done the previous year, but it got tabled by the legislature.  NTSU had tried several times to drop the "North," but they had gotten shot down by the legislature.  Supple wanted it to be his "going-away present."  Trauth came in, and Doerr and Fischer spoke to her about it, and she said that it wouldn't pass because of what happened the previous year, and that she wouldn't back it.  Doerr and Fischer tried to get faculty support -- they actually came to me and asked if I'd help them (they had taken classes from me) and I told them I didn't think it had any chance of getting through the legislature because Supple couldn't get it done.  So they found a legislator to help them (Jeff Wentworth? or something like that) and he agreed to write the bill. That year, the legislature got pre-occupied on some other issue and the name change basically got rubber stamped because no one was paying attention.  So it was literally done completely without Trauth's involvement.  If you remember, the movement to 1-A was also done completely without her involvement -- a student vote to increase fees to fund the move. 

Completely agree with your last sentence about Trauth -- she made some exceptionally important changes here (when Supple was here, we would basically never even ask for things because we knew the answer would be "There's no money for that."  Trauth really changed that mindset.), but she has gotten very stale the past several years (and not just on athletics), and she has lost a lot of support from the faculty, though she's still popular overall.   

I was aware that north Texas state wanted a possible name change (before the university of north Texas) and many of their fans blame aggy for blocking that because aggy was worried that a school called Texas State would be viewed as the land grant in the state because of places like OkState, Michigan State, Utah State ect and people often think that Florida State or Arizona State are the land grant schools in those states even though it is Florida and Arizona.....their fans are always full of shit though when it comes to the conspiracy theories about why they still mostly suck as a university it was basically administrative inaction and unwillingness (just like you are saying for Texas State) that really stalled it or the unwillingness to confront aggy and try and get it done even if aggy was against it to any degree

and I thought Trauth was for the move up the D1-A the administration put out "The Drive" and even got private donors (the very major weakness of Trauth private dollars) and they had the website and the clear explanation of the cost and the vote to do so was very public

contrast this to north Texas state where the administration did not allow the athletics department to lobby the students for a fee for Apple Tree Stajium and actually told them not to even mention it and then the fee had a cap placed on it of $10 dollars with a max increase of $1 one time without a student vote....and even when the new administration allowed a student vote to raise that fee over $1 they were very quiet about it to lessen the chances of getting the significant opposition ginned up and even then they still had to have a re-vote because something was done by the student council and the opposition threatened legal action (but it passed)

I will trust that you have the insider info it was a long time ago on the name change and perhaps "The Drive" and all the rest was just half hearted on her part and she hopped it would fail or pass and that would be the end of it......the direction she seems to want to take academics lately is what I see as a concern and the unwillingness to go out and have a very public campaign for private dollars is another and she seems to let a lot of big donors end up pissed off which is not good even if it happens everywhere

the last capital campaign was about the most unpublished and blah campaign I had seen from a university (with the exception of north Texas state that actually did their even worse in a number of ways) and currently there is some type of raise money campaign going on, but the way it is written it is like they are not even really trying to get money and the reasons for it are almost downplayed or minimized

they know they need $400 million as one of the parts of obtaining NRUF funding (that is increasingly being watered down) and they KNOW they will need private dollars to meet other NRUF requirements and yet all I ever see about that are things like this hidden away

https://www.ua.txstate.edu/about/2017EndowmentAnnualReport.html

https://www.ua.txstate.edu/about/2018-endowment-annual-report.html

and shit being at $200 million now even a decent rate of return (and with the annual payouts) you should get close to $400 million raising little if any additional money.....that is about the lowest of the low goals

yet in the main NRUF criteria that has to be met before any others (restricted research) Texas State is kicking ass moving that number especially still offering so few PhD programs and Texas State is moving the total research number up quickly as well.....yet there seems to be this giant unwillingness to raise private money just like UTEP had under their soon to be gone (and none too soon and way too late) president and even like UTSA had until the final years of President "Brazos"

I just don;t get it I think the support id there, they do well to get the word out when they do get money, but there is just no aggression to go get more and really it seems actual desire to not do so and just wait until the money drops in from where ever for whatever (although the money that has come in was for good things)

One of the indefensible marks on Teis is the dropoff in Bobcat Club donations, primarily because he has completely alienated alumni or other boosters (like me), so Trauth being half-assed on fundraising probably also helps explain why he's still employed.  I assume you've met her and know that she is completely devoid of the social skills needed to cultivate big donors (ironically, the opposite of Supple, who just hardly ever put those skills to use). 

IIRC, "The Drive" was done by the Bobcat Club, and was specifically spearheaded by an alum who wasn't even an employee of the university.  He used to be a regular poster at Bobcatfans.com, but now he actually no longer donates to the athletic department. 

no I have not met her, but I know enough to find no surprise at the social skills comments

right now IMO is another pivotal time for Texas State they really need to get athletics moving in a positive direction (that means a bowl game soon) and I had not been a big basher of Ties before, but the Withers hire fell flat from the start and he clearly let that go to shit (the published reports are damning) and the basketball seems like dumb luck and an unwillingness to fire someone might result in an NCAA bid, possibly

but it is hard when the only real chance for that is to win the conference and winning 24 games and going out in the first round of the CIT is pretty "meh"

enrollment is way up and freshman metrics are back to a decent level after a drop for a couple of years, but it is probably time to bump admissions standards while trying to hold enrollment steady or even losing a bit of freshman enrollment while gaining some grad students (but yea gaining grad students takes private dollars to make a difference)

they should be set on student housing for a while now, new civil engineering program (and possibly another I think) and research dollars are moving up at a very good rate and Texas State is finally in the US Snooze "National" category instead of regional which no matter what one thinks of those rankings or even moving categories that makes a difference in terms of eye balls

new presidents at UTD (hardly published), new president at UTSA that so far seems to not be doing a lot, and a new president coming to UTEP and north Texas state with a president that likes to say things and spend way more on athletics while academics plods along (but they did get a large business school donation recently)

Texas State is in position to qualify for NRUF funding probably after UTA (who is clearly next after UTD just did), but with some effort Texas State could do it before UTSA or with UTSA and without effort they could do it well after UTSA and possibly with UTEP or even north Texas state

sadly that funding is just being chopped up between more mouths without new money coming in and getting down to meaningless amounts of dollars....but it is still something for message board shit talking

the enrollment requirements as of now are a bit below UH, pretty much the same as north Texas state and UTA and slightly above UTSA......graduation rates and retention are above all but possibly UH in a couple of them, but still good (relative to in state peers and some out of state peers, but could be better)......a meaningful increase in admissions and some additional grad student enrollment to hold total enrollment steady would really set Texas State up for the future, but I do not think the current leadership cares about that or has it in them to move in that direction

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Will be held at Texas State in San Marcos, Tx.  Jake Spavital and Herb Hand are providing some of the training......

The Tony Franklin System presents – OC Magic: Join a great lineup of speakers for football’s first ever offensive coordinator & game planning certification school taking place Friday May 10 & Saturday May 11. Learn from 7 of the best play callers in the country on topics like – devising your offense, game day play calling, practice planning, finding match-ups for opportunities & issues, down & distance scripting, calling players plays instead of scheme plays, and so much more. Visit TonyFranklinFootball to reserve your spot today!

If Brandon Jones is coaching O-Line for Holgerson at UH, what's Joe Wickline up to? Holgerson didn't take Wickliner to UH with him?

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

If Brandon Jones is coaching O-Line for Holgerson at UH, what's Joe Wickline up to? Holgerson didn't take Wickliner to UH with him?

Joe Wickline is taking the year off..... still getting paid.

https://www.bdtonline.com/sports/tony-bennett-joe-wickline-and-it-all-makes-sense-in/article_fe978f38-5435-11e9-b92e-e701348d9007.html

As you all so well know, West Virginia brought in a whole new coaching staff this year after Dana Holgorsen decided he would accept an offer to coach Houston following what was a disappointing season.

In the transition, Holgorsen’s offensive line coach Joe Wickline lost his job.

Wickline has a son, Kelby, who had transferred to WVU a couple of years ago and who was playing for his father as an OT.

Certainly, it affected both.  Kelby Wickline had a talk with his father when it happened.

I told him I loved him for what he did for me and I loved playing for him. I told him I just wanted to finish my career the right way and I wish him the best,”

Wickline, the coach, opted to sit this year out as he was still being paid. That certainly will make this a year unlike very many in his life for a coach who had coached over the last 37 years at such schools as Florida, Tennessee, Baylor, Ole Miss and Oklahoma State.

Kelby Wickline said he was unfazed, though.  “He’s fine. That’s just the way the business is. It’s the coaching carousel,” he said. ‘I enjoyed playing for him. As a coaches kid, I wouldn’t take it back for anything.”

Kelby Wickline could have left, but that would have been a real hardship. “First, I was a little unsure,” he said. “But Coach (Neal) Brown and all these guys, they’re great guys, and they care about their players. Not to say the former staff didn’t, they were a great staff, too. All-in-all, I feel really comfortable with how the staff is here now.”

“As far as me, this is my last year; I am a redshirt senior. So, I just assume, in my fifth year, I know all the guys here, the relationships. I just thought I’d stay put. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side,” he explained.

He expected to be a key contributor in the offensive line. “Coach Moore moved me to the right side and Colton McKivitz to the left side. It’s going well. I was on the left last year. I’ll go where they want me,” he said, referring to Matt Moore, who replaced his father.

The incident, he said, “helped me grow as a person ... a lot of life lessons.”  And the largest of those life lessons was?  “Take everything with a grain of salt. It is what it is,” he said.

And, in a way, it offers both he and a dad an entirely different aspect to their relationship for this year Joe Wickline will be able to sit in the stands and watch him play without having to grade him out in the post-game film review or chew him out at halftime.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He did a really good job with the Ole Miss WRs. Obviously coordinator is a big leap but he's earned it.

He worked with Spavital at Cal in 2016.  

"In 2016, Peeler assisted with a Cal offense that finished fourth nationally in passing (358.8 ypg), 10th in total offense (513.2 ypg) and 22nd in scoring (37.1 ppg)."

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Goodman said:

I plan on taking the kids down with an ex player friend and his fam if tickets are available. 

I know you have to buy the tickets online ahead of time and I think all tickets are electronic.

Really going to destroy the livelihood of Bobcat football scalpers...

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How did they do on early signing day? Ohio State didn’t sign any recruits today either. They’re already signed and most are already on campus. The February signing day is practically meaningless. 

That picture is for the entire recruiting cycle.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-state/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

The ban on official visits probably hurts Texas State more than most programs. Coaches could sign a lot of 3 star recruits by taking them on a tour to the san marcos river watching the seemingly endless amount of drunk co-eds in bikinis floating down. Can't do that now. They have to "sell" the program in other ways, virtually. Probably challenging.

28 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The ban on official visits probably hurts Texas State more than most programs. Coaches could sign a lot of 3 star recruits by taking them on a tour to the san marcos river watching the seemingly endless amount of drunk co-eds in bikinis floating down. Can't do that now. They have to "sell" the program in other ways, virtually. Probably challenging.

Probably true or he just plans to fill the entire class from the portal, he needs to win quickly. He has 7 3 start transfers. 

44 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Probably true or he just plans to fill the entire class from the portal, he needs to win quickly. He has 7 3 start transfers. 

Yeah, seems like a lot of players that have gone in the transfer portal will be desperate for a spot -- SPAV bringing in more transfers to play in 2021 due to immediate eligibility rule (most say it will be approved) could be good if he can keep his players happy.

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

He must be betting on having a big year with a bunch of transfers and then getting the hell out of Dodge for a better job.  It’s like the CFB equivalent of an 80s corporate raider selling off all the spare parts and moving on to the next gig while someone else deals with the wreckage he leaves behind.   I’d be pissed if I were the Texas State AD.

Their AD is a world-class moron if I remember correctly. He might be blowing bubbles in his office.

here is what they did this year

https://247sports.com/college/texas-state/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

as others pointed out one signed and ten transfers, but they had a huge class last year

https://247sports.com/college/texas-state/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

they enrolled 15, says they signed 3 others, had one more commit, and 9 transfers so that is at least 24 players and maybe as many as 28 last year so with most of them probably opting to stay in San marvelous and fuck chicks and drink in Austin they probably only have room for another transfer or two this year or some late signing of a high school guy

it is a very risky strategy and will require winning this year and probably going to a bowl game to get any new traction with high school recruits for the future, but at the same time they can continue to take transfers if things go well especially being a large school with a lot of "scenery" around campus

the problem is most of the rest of The Sunbelt is not fucking around anymore and playing some pretty good football for a G5 conference and their OOC looks like it could be 2-2 unless they get a win over FIU

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/texas-state/

Baylor is probably a loss, but an easier OOC than last year with SMU, UTSA, BC, BYU where they went 0-4....they did play SMU, BC, and UTSA close though and could have won those games especially the BC and UTSA game

2-10 last year changing to 2-2 in the OOC would be a help, but they have a lot of conference games against teams they lost to badly....and even 6-6 in The Sunbelt might not get them a bowl game which they will badly need to make next year to make this work at all 

No HS signees in the 2021 class: Behind Texas State's bold all-transfer strategy

by Chris Hummer     10 hours ago

There were 2,215 who signed a National Letter of Intent between December’s Early Signing Period and February’s National Signing Day. That’s an average of 17 per FBS school. And exactly none of them – zero, zilch, nada – signed with Texas State.

Bobcats head coach Jake Spavital knows that sounds a bit odd. But he and his staff reckoned with that reality months ago. You see, Texas State wanted to sign high school prospects. It just didn’t get any despite the 100-plus offers the program put out as part of the 2021 cycle.

“Our whole intentions were to sign high school kids. That’s what we do,” Spavital told 247Sports. “But we weren’t lucky to have any guys who wanted to commit. We got to the point where we had to start looking around for some of these kids looking for other opportunities in the portal.”

The result is what 247Sports believes to be college football’s first all-transfer class, a 11-player group of players from the Power Five, Group of Five, junior college and FCS levels. The class includes high-profile former prospects like former NC State QB Ty Evans, a high three-star recruit in the 2019 class, and FCS All-American offensive lineman Liam Dobson, from Maine. 

It’s important to note that Texas State’s 2021 class is not yet complete. The NCAA pushed back the window to sign a NLI in the 2021 cycle to Aug. 1, which gives the Bobcats a few months to use its remaining 10 counters (schools get 25 each year). Spavital said he “intends” to use some of those remaining spots on high school players, but much of that depends on whether Texas State will get the opportunity to scout in person.

Evaluations, or a lack thereof, help explain why the Bobcats went this route. An extended NCAA dead period has prevented players from taking visits and competing in camps since March. Without that data, Texas State’s coaching staff felt it needed to turn to the portal. Transfers have tape (at a minimum in practice) and feedback from college coaches, allowing Texas State to gage their competition level and performance far more easily than they could with five minutes of HUDL highlights from previously fringe high school prospects.

“I recruited Ty Evans when I was at West Virginia,” Spavital said. “When you haven’t seen these kids in person and they haven’t been to your campus, it’s tough to take someone when you at least had a previous evaluation of these transfer kids.”

Texas State’s all-transfer strategy was also propelled by a pair of rule changes. The first is the NCAA’s upcoming blanket waiver that will allow all transfers a one-time exception to play immediately. That’s expected to go into effect this offseason, meaning any transfer additions can play from the jump.

The second occurred when the NCAA paused eligibility for the 2020 season. That means a 2020 true freshman will again be a true freshman in 2021. The result of that is there are up to FOUR classes on college campuses next season capable of being considered underclassmen. For example, a 2018 recruit who redshirted his first year and played in 2019 and 2020 is still a redshirt sophomore. Spavital said some 70% of his 2021 roster are underclassmen.

That eligibility freeze created opportunity. Transfer-heavy classes are considered a win-now strategy as coaches bring in experienced players in a bid to contend immediately. That does come with a cost as programs are only allowed to sign 25 initial counters a year and carry 75 scholarship players. Signing a glut of older players can harm your long-term plans, squeezing numbers a few years in the future after mass graduation of larger older classes and attrition. Just ask David Beaty how his Kansas tenure worked out after inheriting just 39 scholarship players after Charlie Weis’ failed JUCO binge.

But with eligibility paused, Spavital’s 2020 class remains a true freshman group. Texas State can afford to aggressively add talent and experience to a young roster without sacrificing future numbers.

“That (rule) helped a lot,” Spavital said. “It relieves some pressure.”

Thinking about his fall realization that Texas State would not sign a high school prospect in December or February, Spavital stresses a point about the process: Often, transfers reached out to him.

Texas State is located some 30 minutes between Austin and San Antonio, an I-35 hub in the middle of the nation’s most talent-rich state. Oftentimes, players leave the state and just want to come home. SMU took advantage of that immediately in the portal ahead of the 2019 season, and schools located in large, talent-rich metro areas have done the same: South Florida (Tampa Bay), UCF (Orlando), San Diego State (San Diego) and Georgia Tech (Atlanta). 

DeMarrquese Hayes signed with Kansas State in the 2020 class. But when a family situation arose back home in Waco – about a two-hour drive from San Marcos – it was a natural fit for him to pick the Bobcats.

“We put out a lot of offers to high school kids, and we’ll continue to do that for the 2022 and 2023 class,” Spavital said. “But at some point, you get opportunities where people are calling you and reaching out. And it’s tough to say no to these guys.”

Texas State’s all-transfer class is on the highest end of transfer portal aggressiveness. But thinking about the state of college football, Spavital doesn’t think it’ll be abnormal for long.

“This is the way we’ve recruited almost everywhere I’ve been,” Spavital said.

“It’s not like here at Texas State we just woke up and said, ‘We’re going to take every single transfer imaginable.’ No. We’re still doing the proper things … and have relationships with a lot of these high school coaches and we talk to them all the time and make sure we’re doing the right things in terms of trying to sign high school kids. But with this transfer portal, it’s opened up a whole other avenue for conversations with high school coaches about getting their kids to another place after they leave.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-State-football-2021-class-no-high-school-recruits-transfer-portal-signees--160784444/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Saw that article on the recruiting thread.  I just love the framing of this as a strategy. Can think of so many ways this PR gold could be used. 

Strong Arm Tactics: Inside One Man’s Bold Decision to Take Things into His Own Hand

After a string of letdowns and missed connections, local man Jeff Thomas has a new strategy— do what you can, with what you have.  

“The intention was always to have sex with other people ,” says Thomas, 32. “But through high school, college, grad school, and even internships, I just wasn’t lucky enough to get a commit from any of the women who I pretended to be friends with when all I really wanted was sex. As I crossed the threshold into thirty, it really eased some of the pressure to realize there are other strategies.”

Thomas noted that it’s even harder to perform evaluations on potential partners during the pandemic. 

“There are a lot of pitfalls in trying to make that connection and see if it’s a good fit, even more so when everyone has masks on and security insists that you maintain an appropriate social distance from that brunette cashier at the grocery store. That’s why at some point, you go back to who you already have film on, easily accessible via tablet or laptop. And it’s tough to say no to that, especially with a tissue box at hand.”

Thomas is on the high-end of self-love aggressiveness. But given the current state of his personal hygiene, finances, and off-putting demeanor, he doesn’t think his “batin’ only” strategy will be considered abnormal for him and others in his position. 

“I didn’t wake up one day and just say ‘furious auto-erotica will be my preferred method of relieving my sexual urges’. I’m still doing the right things—- waiting to accost that cute barista on her way to the car after her shift ends, composing elaborate justifications for why women owe me sex on message boards, deliberately behaving as though common courtesy from coworkers is in fact a sign of romantic interest. But the advent of OnlyFans, of tube sites, and a community to support my decision— it’s just opened up other avenues for me.”

Edited by 956 Worldwide

• 2 months later...

Coryell is worthless, too.  It's remarkable that Trauth doesn't see that the good administrators in the AD leave for better jobs quickly, and the worthless ones (Teis, Coryell, Tracy Shoemake) hang around forever.  Shoemake and Coryell have actually been there longer than Teis -- WTF?