Drew Brees

Wally Pryor

Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara, and Emmanuel Sanders all immediately unfollowed him on Twitter and Instagram. Not saying that means anything in the long run and I’m sure he’s already talked to all his teammates about what he meant, but it is interesting. Clearly they weren’t happy. 

If he truly feels that way, there's nothing wrong with Brees expressing his viewpoint as long as he is willing to face the music when it comes to fans, the media,  and his teammates. My guess is that he cares too much about his image, and he will walk back his comments with some mush mouth excuse to try and soften the impact. 

• Like 1

I’m a huge Brees fanboy and have been since I was a sophomore and he was a junior at Westlake but this isn’t the first time he’s come off as completely tone deaf on a situation like this. He’ll have a hard time winning back the respect of many of his teammates, fans and NOLA residents. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Brees is a typical Republican racist clown.

Fuck him and his kids to hell.

Ill stick with tone deaf, but from a timing standpoint, it’s gotta be an all time dumbass statement. He wasn’t really backed into a corner. He could’ve easily said something like “it’s not how I would choose to protest, but I know this isn’t about me or about the flag/military (lol). I’ll kneel with my brothers against police brutality”

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

I’m a huge Brees fanboy and have been since I was a sophomore and he was a junior at Westlake but this isn’t the first time he’s come off as completely tone deaf on a situation like this. He’ll have a hard time winning back the respect of many of his teammates, fans and NOLA residents. 

Got a feeling Brees will get the Paul Cruise treatment from his teammates next season. 

No he won’t. Those guys care about winning and their next paycheck. Not in that order. He’s still gonna be one of the best qbs in the league. The better he does, the beater the team probably does. Everyone will wind up with more money down the road. They’ll bitch about it but they won’t risk anything bad happening. They might not like him anymore and he probably won’t give a damn about that either.

It's not about the flag/ anthem, Mr Rodgers?  Kap says it was:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Rodgers is still a fucking moron.  and yes, I wish like Kaepernick had focused on the the latter part of that quote.

That doesn't mean Brees is right either.  The flag has never represented perfection.   The ability to correct this shit is exactly what it stands for.

Will we?  Can we?  together...

Edited by Iceman

30 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Ehlinger seems to get it. Can't imagine Westlake changed much if at all in the years between their attendance. 

uhhhhh, you'd be wrong. Westlake kids these days are woker than ever. certainly more woke than they were 20-25 years ago when Brees went there. to be clear, i'm not saying that Westlake kids actually "get it", because of course they still don't. but yeah, the Westlake kids these days are a different breed from those of the mid 90's.

Just now, Goo Punch said:

uhhhhh, you'd be wrong. Westlake kids these days are woker than ever. certainly more woke than they were 20-25 years ago when Brees went there. to be clear, i'm not saying that Westlake kids actually "get it", because of course they still don't. but yeah, the Westlake kids these days are a different breed from those of the mid 90's.

I’d like to introduce you to Derka, who holds a Masters in Westlake wokeness and a PHD in bad basketball opinions 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I’d like to introduce you to Derka, who holds a Masters in Westlake wokeness and a PHD in bad basketball opinions 

i grew up around westlake kids, i knew Drew and Reid Brees (and their step sister, granddaughter of Harley Clark) growing up, I've been teaching Westlake kids for years, and there's probably not a single poster who's made more accurate takes about Texas basketball than I have. so uh, great post. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

so standing for the anthem is unacceptable now.  what a world. 

No, but why say anything? Look at the world around you. Also, if I’m not mistaken he’s knelt before lol. So it makes it look even dumber. Like he did it that one week just to be fake, but now he can’t live with himself because “he disrespected the flag and his grandpa who taught for our freedom” so he had to get that off his chest RIGHT now. Even if that’s how you feel, maybe just bite your tongue right now. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

And this is why it’s impossible to have any meaningful discussions in this country now. Brees expressed his opinion in a manner that seemed to me to be completely reasonable without resorting to name calling. He also provided his reasoning behind his opinion. The timing may be insensitive, and you and I may completely disagree with him, but your response expressed quite well why the political system in this country is completely broken.

You said what I was thinking. It’s his opinion and his right to say it just like it is the right of someone who disagrees with him to say something about it. Both sides can be right about their opinion. 

11 minutes ago, futureman said:

I think some people feel as strongly about standing for the anthem as the black community feels about kneeling for it. 

I deeply and sincerely want the flag to mean liberty for every American. Right now, it does not.

Fill in the blanks however you like.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 5

Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara, and Emmanuel Sanders all immediately unfollowed him on Twitter and Instagram. Not saying that means anything in the long run and I’m sure he’s already talked to all his teammates about what he meant, but it is interesting. Clearly they weren’t happy. 

This is huge.

Latavius Murray, Lil Jordan and Taysom Hill are going to explode in fantasy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i grew up around westlake kids, i knew Drew and Reid Brees (and their step sister, granddaughter of Harley Clark) growing up, I've been teaching Westlake kids for years, and there's probably not a single poster who's made more accurate takes about Texas basketball than I have. so uh, great post. 

I was friends with the stepsister in HS and didn’t know forever that they were step siblings. Nice girl. 

45 minutes ago, futureman said:

so standing for the anthem is unacceptable now.  what a world. 

I don't know maybe claiming/intimating that it's disrespectful to kneel in the face of all explanations to the contrary by his fellow teammates may be the ultimate point of contention here. 

13 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Respect his position, but it's really bad timing.

I guess that’s my thing. If you’re (IMO) stubborn enough to not be able to look past the actual message, and you’re the type of person that gets all in your feelings when you hear the star spangled banner, fine. The anthem and that flag mean something different to you than it means to other people. And that’s ok. But RIGHT NOW, and maybe like, from here on out, maybe just bite your tongue. Nobody is forcing him to kneel for shit. Just keep your opinion to yourself and and keep it moving. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, futureman said:

I think some people feel as strongly about standing for the anthem as the black community feels about kneeling for it. 

No they don't.  It's just as much of a virtual signaling thing as those who claim the opposite for those on the left. Before this anthem controversy arose all of these stand for the flag loyalist didn't care about people taking a shit or a piss during the anthem nor did they care about people talking to friends, ordering food, or do just about everything other than standing for the anthem. You can go to YouTube videos of the anthem being sung before an assortments of events throughout the 80s and 90s and half the time the give a fuck meter is firmly in negative territory for a shitload people in those crowds all without anyone batting an eye. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Brees is a typical Republican racist clown.

Fuck him and his kids to hell.

God you’re a douchebag  fuck your own face talking s out someone else’s kids. Go back to the CR and jerk Hugo off fuckboy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I was friends with the stepsister in HS and didn’t know forever that they were step siblings. Nice girl. 

indeed, she's good people. and FTR, so is Drew. I dunno WTF this fool was thinking bringing up the whole "disrespecting the flag" argument when it's not even germane to peaceful protest that is kneeling during the anthem,  it in all honesty he's a good role model, a great dad, and just an all around good guy. he's NO's favorite son (adopted son) for a reason. He's definitely going to need to do some serious damage control after this episode though. he's don a ton of good for New Orleans, so I hope that they are quick to forgive, assuming he makes the proper mea culpas.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I deeply and sincerely want the flag to mean liberty for every American. Right now, it does not.

Fill in the blanks however you like.

Exactly, my goal would be that every American genuinely swells up with as much pride as possible anytime they hear the anthem. We're simply not there yet.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Flags are stupid and giving a shit about them is equally stupid. That’s all. 

I have a flag given to my Mom, then given to me, for the death of my Dad who died while in service.  It means something to me.

That said I don't necessarily disagree with you. Seems like the people who advocate the most for RESPECT THE FLAG really have an alternate agenda, one that repulses me.  So on that hand, I agree, I don't give a shit about flags.

Brees has a personal tie to it. I get that. But there's a time and place for everything, and now is not that time.*

*Unless you want to invoke what the flag represents, inclusion of all Americans

Edited by Mach 1
  • Like 9

I'm active duty, i could careless who stands or kneels its your prerogative and your opinion, the amount of fucks I have to give are few and far between, just like its some folks like Drew who believes you should stand.  I have far greater things going on in the world then to care about someones opinion, i give even less fucks about crucifying someone because their views dont align with mine.  I cant imagine being so soft that i lose my collective shit to the world because someone sees a topic different than I.

timing sucks but hes loaded to the gills with millions he will survive and be ok, its not like fred at ace true value losing his job for his opinion and living on the streets after social justice crucifies him

my family and I stand always, free country and all  its all good Im not a bro vet

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The flag isn’t sacred. People make all different types of dumb shit out of the flag. The song isn’t sacred. If the military is sacred to him then so be it but it’s not because of the actual flag. 

You are right.

The flag isn't sacred. The military damned sure isn't sacred.

What it (  is supposed to) represents is very unique with regard to governmental entities within the realm of the history of world governments.  Right now we have a chance to make a correction on what that value or meaning is to every American.

The existence of that opportunity matters.  You'll never convince me otherwise.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The flag isn’t sacred. People make all different types of dumb shit out of the flag. The song isn’t sacred. If the military is sacred to him then so be it but it’s not because of the actual flag. 

No doubt. Google "american flag boxer shorts" and you get hundreds of results. Some of the same people that bitch about Kaepernick  are probably proudly wearing those right now, as they simultaneously deposit skidmarks on their precious flag from their mid-day taco bell chalupa run. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

As a veteran (88-95) I agree with a vast majority of what Drew Brees stated. During my time, many of whom I served with were minorities and some were my best friends.

A lot of what he stated was even the reason I joined in the first place. Many will say it was different back then, but I digress. IMO “service” was always about the bigger picture. I originally went in for 3 years and the “college fund”, but I loved the commraderie and re-enlisted for four more. The concept of race didn’t exist while growing up in SE Texas, thus definitely didn’t exist in the service - IMO (we were all GREEN)!

After my service time was up, living in Austin, I went to school from 8-12, and then worked the night shift at the Williamson Co. Jail. I was a veteran, so it was easy access and a decent job while attending college classes. I know the “criminal element” first-hand from those days. Friday and Saturday nights were a blurr, to put it nicely.

Now I’m just part of the bucket of old men screaming at clouds, as well as not understanding today’s “snowflake” generation. With two kids in college, sometimes I just shake my head!

Rant over, but I love my country and what I believe it stands for. Texan, veteran, husband, Father, and citizen - I do care!

A)kneeling during the anthem has nothing to do with the military or its veterans, and B)the insane and fucked up irony in all of this is that people like you fought for the right to peacefully protest and yet you still somehow find it disrespectful to actually practice that freedom. ugh. 

• Like 2

The flag definitely means something.  As humans symbols can have meaning to us.  We wouldn't drape the caskets of dead soldiers with the flag if it didn't have meaning, nor would players kneel during the anthem as a result of our country's failure to meet those ideals if it didn't have meaning. I just dislike the hypocrisy of people getting up upset at one form of "disrespect" while ignoring all the others. The lack of offense taken at other instances of "disrespect" betrays their true feelings.  

• Like 2