Drew Brees

Wally Pryor

I don't see how in today's world you'd be tone deaf enough to not 'get' kneeling.  You don't have to agree with it, but to act all up in arms if people kneel, is dumb as fuck.  Slavery existed under that flag...that alone should be enough to piss off some black folks.  Fucking deal with the repercussions if you want to speak up against someone that feels that way in today's day and age.  A little self awareness goes a long ways.  Also, we love the my grandpa served 2 tours under that flag stories.  There's also many my great great grandpa was a slave under that flag stories.  The vast majority of people don't have either of those stories on the tip of their tongue and really don't give a shit.  But people still don't see why everyone will never feel the same fucking way about a piece of cloth?  

I like Brees and think he's a great guy.  He didn't think this through and will say all the right things in the next day or two...unlike keyboard warriors here, his words have real repercussions. I think wishing his kids death is a billion times worse than kneeling or not kneeling and those are the type of agitators causing most of the issues we have today.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

wouldn't be surprised if he retires. he just killed his legacy. he can also forget about that announcing gig 

Michael Vick came back and is on TV now and people love dogs more than the flag. People are morons with very short memories. 

• Like 5

People keep having a nonsense argument over the freedom of speech/protest based on their level of reverence for the flag. In the end, he and other kneelers were never under risk of criminal prosecution so their first amendment rights were well maintained. They do choose to work in an entertainment industry, and holding a protest that offends a large portion of your employer’s customers is never going to fly. Protesters can say it has nothing to do with the flag or veterans (except I think the quote above showed Caepernick did think it was about the flag), but that doesn’t offend most NFL fans any less. It’s the equivalent of saying “No offense, but...” and unloading on someone. The kneeling or other protest could have been done in a way to get attention but not disrespect anyone (everyone kneeling during coin flip, before the opening kickoff, before returning to the locker room at halftime, whatever).

Incredibly poor timing by Brees though. 

From my POV, Brees has been one of the biggest supporters of that god awful city and backed it up with his own money. Now because he isn’t going along with the popular opinion Mitches coming out of the wood works to whine. It’s not like N.O. Is filled with a bunch of Karen’s and Dick’s.

The problem with most of these woke ass athletes is that they are really wack ass clowns.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

People keep having a nonsense argument over the freedom of speech/protest based on their level of reverence for the flag. In the end, he and other kneelers were never under risk of criminal prosecution so their first amendment rights were well maintained. They do choose to work in an entertainment industry, and holding a protest that offends a large portion of your employer’s customers is never going to fly. Protesters can say it has nothing to do with the flag or veterans (except I think the quote above showed Caepernick did think it was about the flag), but that doesn’t offend most NFL fans any less. It’s the equivalent of saying “No offense, but...” and unloading on someone. The kneeling or other protest could have been done in a way to get attention but not disrespect anyone (everyone kneeling during coin flip, before the opening kickoff, before returning to the locker room at halftime, whatever).

Incredibly poor timing by Brees though. 

No one would ever notice or care if they kneeled at your suggested times. Kap kneeled during the anthem and it became one of the year’s top news stories. A protest that doesn’t offend anyone or disrupt anything by definition isn’t a protest at all. 

I never really gave a shit either way. I didn’t really like Kap’s protest because it was so vague in its end goal, but I also thought everyone up in arms about it was being an easily offended snowflake. The flag is a symbol, it means different things to different people. Also to me the act of kneeling is usually a gesture of respect, there’s a lot more disrespectful things that they could’ve done.

• Like 1

I really don't understand the idea of professional athletes doing politics.  No matter what you say, somebody is going to be pissed off, raise a stink, chant against you etc...  Were I Drew Brees and somebody asked a question like that I'd say "you know,  I'm not a politician. I can see arguments on both sides.  I leave the politics for folks who are a lot smarter than I am"  and go about my business. Same with entertainers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I really don't understand the idea of professional athletes doing politics.  No matter what you say, somebody is going to be pissed off, raise a stink, chant against you etc...  Were I Drew Brees and somebody asked a question like that I'd say "you know,  I'm not a politician. I can see arguments on both sides.  I leave the politics for folks who are a lot smarter than I am"  and go about my business. Same with entertainers. 

This is the part that makes no fucking sense to me. Just because Donald trump said he doesn’t like kaepernick kneeling for the anthem, that doesn’t make it a political topic. Abortion rights would be a political topic. Gun laws, political topic. Police brutality should bother everyone. Now, if you don’t believe it’s a problem, then that’s a different story. I don’t agree with you, but that’s a different story. But it’s a human rights topic. It isn’t a political topic just because trump talks about it for no reason

Lets just be honest and call it what it is. Some people don’t like it because they don’t think it’s an issue at all. They’ve had good experiences with police, or they know a few, and now they blindly trust most police (while accepting the 1% of bad apples) but they accept how each precinct police themselves. And if that’s what you really believe, and I know enough of you are out there, expect the murders to keep happening and the riots to keep happening. It’s like clockwork. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This is the part that makes no fucking sense to me. Just because Donald trump said he doesn’t like kaepernick kneeling for the anthem, that doesn’t make it a political topic. Abortion rights would be a political topic. Gun laws, political topic. Police brutality should bother everyone. Now, if you don’t believe it’s a problem, then that’s a different story. I don’t agree with you, but that’s a different story. But it’s a human rights topic. It isn’t a political topic just because trump talks about it for no reason

Lets just be honest and call it what it is. Some people don’t like it because they don’t think it’s an issue at all. They’ve had good experiences with police, or they know a few, and now they blindly trust most police (while accepting the 1% of bad apples) but they accept how each precinct police themselves. And if that’s what you really believe, and I know enough of you are out there, expect the murders to keep happening and the riots to keep happening. It’s like clockwork. 

You didn't understand my point.

1 hour ago, Mole said:

I’m just shocked that someone said growing up in SE Texas was colorblind. I guess the invitations to clan meetings were put in black and white mailboxes alike.

don’t let the liberal media tell you how to think and feel.  if you have hate in your heart let it out. 

Random question but who here has played a decent level of football? Reason I ask, how close or 'tight' is a football locker room where you have 75-100 players and different units (offense, defense, special teams). I have no idea personally. 

I just can't imagine what this does to a locker room. I always thought it was odd how no white players ever took a knee for Kaepernick and only a few black players did. It had to have caused a huge diversion in the locker room and they just had to release him. Now you've got this in New Orleans and you really wonder what it will do in that locker room.  

3 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Random question but who here has played a decent level of football? Reason I ask, how close or 'tight' is a football locker room where you have 75-100 players and different units (offense, defense, special teams). I have no idea personally. 

I just can't imagine what this does to a locker room. I always thought it was odd how no white players ever took a knee for Kaepernick and only a few black players did. It had to have caused a huge diversion in the locker room and they just had to release him. Now you've got this in New Orleans and you really wonder what it will do in that locker room.  

I would suppose it's like any other workgroup, with a wide variety of beliefs and values where the work still gets done.

The fact the Brees has a huge amount of credit in the bank as not only a leader but the face of a franchise also matters.  His teammates already mentioned they had discussions with Brees, so it would appear they are not of the "Drew Brees is dead to me" mindset.

8 hours ago, markstanco said:

So Brees thinks of his grandfathers fighting in a war when the anthem is played. Kap and others use it to show solidarity towards an issue.

Tell me again what brees is doing wrong?

Brees comments weren't racist so much as ignorant of the reality minorities faced when they returned from every war they've been part of in this nation.  The flag is supposed to be a symbol of a nation where ALL races are equal, and are afforded equal protection under the law, and the concept of the nation that flag represents.  

He pretty much ignored the entire point of a black man not being so going ho for a flag when too many of it's institutions ( police departments specifically), representing the law under that flag don't like his skin color, and are allowed to get away with murder because of his skin color.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 9

Brees comments weren't racial so much as ignorant of the reality minorities faced when they returned from every war they've been part of in this nation.  The flag is supposed to be a symbol of a nation where ALL races are equal, and are afforded equal protection under the law, and the concept of the nation that flag represents.  
He pretty much ignored the entire point of a black man not being so going hoe for a flag when too many of it's institutions ( police departments specifically), representing the law under that flag don't like his skin color, and are allowed to get away with murder because of his skin color.

The flag is a symbol of what each person wants it to be. Not what you are told what it symbolizes.

In 1777 was the flag meant for all races being equal? No, that wasn't even a concern or issue back then.

36 minutes ago, markstanco said:

The flag is a symbol of what each person wants it to be. Not what you are told what it symbolizes.

In 1777 was the flag meant for all races being equal? No, that wasn't even a concern or issue back then.

I agree the flag represents many things to many people, but the reality is it IS a symbol of a nation that allegedly is based on rule of law, trial by jury, all races are equal. I am telling you that is exactly what the flag means in reality.  You can't pick, and choose to ignore some of those things.

Like I said his comment wasn't racist so much as ignorant of the reality black veterans experienced returning from every war they've been part of.  His comments were exactly what you said his vision of America and the flag.  Doesn't make him racist, just makes him ignorant of a reality for many others, and what role are now rioting over.

C'mon man 1777 ?  Sure the population was much more racist then, and almost entirely caucasian, however it wasn't a nation, and there wasn't a Constitution that codifies the short list of things above that are a pretty big part of that concept America stands for.

EDIT:  Brees has now issued an apology stating he missed the point.  Well he's much pretty dead on right about that.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Drew Brees has brought more “meaning” and influence with his charitable dollars to NO, than the last two decades of Louisiana politicians COMBINED!

I lived in Louisiana from 95-2008, so I know first hand!

Why is meaning in quotes?  

24 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I agree the flag represents many things to many people, but the reality is it IS a symbol of a nation that allegedly is based on rule of law, trial by jury, all races are equal. I am telling you that is exactly what the flag means in reality.  You can't pick, and choose to ignore some of those things.

The flag is a symbol, and that's not how symbols or semiotics works.  So this is incorrect.  It didn't symbolize that for every single American in 1777, and it doesn't symbolize that for every American in 2020.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Just remember that back then it symbolized the fact that a bunch of slave-owning aristocratic white males didn't want to pay their taxes.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say Drew Brees is ignorant of what others are going through or what the kneeling protest were about.  He's an intelligent guy and as his teammates mentioned they've discussed the issue with him a number of times.  However,  I can guess that the main issue people have with his words is his characterization of the kneeling protest as "disrespectful to to flag/anthem/ soldiers".  Given all the discussions he's had with his teammates that's just an incredibly dismissive take to have and conveys the message that he doesn't consider their feelings on the subject valid.  Drew could've easily expressed his feelings for the anthem without totally invalidating theirs.  If a veteran expresses his reverence for the flag because of what it meant for him to see it on the horizon of the battlefield who the fuck am I to try to invalidate those feelings he has.  Drew just did the same to his teammates. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

I understand why Brees feels the way he does about the flag and why he wants to stand. That’s normal for him and many Americans.

But his comments show that he disapproves of Kaepernick or any other playing kneeling, which is dismissive of their cause and completely insensitive to the current problems surrounding race in our country. He picked the worst possible time to voice his opinion and it was completely unnecessary. It’s not like a reporter caught him at the end of a game. He did a Zoom interview with Yahoo of all things.

He’s been vilified and he has now apologized. Hopefully people accept the apology and redirect attention where it’s needed because I also don’t think we as a society should ostracize people for isolated mistakes. Then again, I’m not black and I don’t presume to speak for black people on how Drew Brees should be viewed moving forward.

I think the flag is very important as a symbol of our nation, but I think our nation is currently broken and needs fixing. I don’t expect everyone to want to respect the flag currently, but my hope is that we can improve ourselves to the point that we all feel united in the future and we can all stand proudly together. We obviously aren’t there yet. We have work to do.

• Like 3

Good for him making this right. Regardless of how you feel, just stfu right now. 

It would be nice if this could create a little division in the locker room so the saints can fall off without blaming the refs, but that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen lol

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Why is meaning in quotes?  

The flag is a symbol, and that's not how symbols or semiotics works.  So this is incorrect.  It didn't symbolize that for every single American in 1777, and it doesn't symbolize that for every American in 2020.

There was no country in 1776, and I never said it did symbolize anything for people in 17777.  The flag is indeed a symbol of America, and what it's constitution states clearly. That's what flags of countries do, they represent their countries in a visual format.  I know you wanna disagree everything I say, go ahead, but you're wrong here. That the flag represents different things to different people is understandable, but it's meaning is a visual representation of the country, and the laws it supposedly stands for. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

There was no country in 1776, and I never said it did symbolize anything for people in 17777.  The flag is indeed a symbol of America, and what it's constitution states clearly. That's what flags of countries do, they represent their countries in a visual format.  I know you wanna disagree everything I say, go ahead, but you're wrong here. That the flag represents different things to different people is understandable, but it's meaning is a visual representation of the country, and the laws it supposedly stands for. 

No, I don't want to disagree with everything you say, so you're wrong (again) there.   Surprisingly, I think we agree but it's the wording that's the issue. The key word is in your last sentence--supposedly--which was the entire point of my reply.  I'm not sure how you did not understand that. 

The rest of this conversation doesn't belong in a drew brees thread. 

6 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

The whole “split up the locker room” thing is kinda overblown. It’s entirely possible that players could be on a team together for ten years and never talk.

Problem is Brees is the QB and even if you don’t conversate or have any relationship platonic or worker with him you know who he is and is the unspoken leader.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I understand why Brees feels the way he does about the flag and why he wants to stand. That’s normal for him and many Americans.

But his comments show that he disapproves of Kaepernick or any other playing kneeling, which is dismissive of their cause and completely insensitive to the current problems surrounding race in our country. He picked the worst possible time to voice his opinion and it was completely unnecessary. It’s not like a reporter caught him at the end of a game. He did a Zoom interview with Yahoo of all things.

He’s been vilified and he has now apologized. Hopefully people accept the apology and redirect attention where it’s needed because I also don’t think we as a society should ostracize people for isolated mistakes. Then again, I’m not black and I don’t presume to speak for black people on how Drew Brees should be viewed moving forward.

I think the flag is very important as a symbol of our nation, but I think our nation is currently broken and needs fixing. I don’t expect everyone to want to respect the flag currently, but my hope is that we can improve ourselves to the point that we all feel united in the future and we can all stand proudly together. We obviously aren’t there yet. We have work to do.

This. He’s been told that it’s not about disrespecting the flag or the country or soldiers but about calling attention to inequities that need to be redressed in this country. Surely he knows or was told that there are plenty of black grandfathers who fought under that flag and were greeted back home with dogs and hoses for sitting at a lunch counter. This has been debated for years now and here we are with him yet again claiming it’s disrespect and dismissing their stated intentions. Saying he “missed the mark” is vague as hell. And it’s hard to take him seriously since “the mark” has been stated over and over and over again since Kap first kneeled. This apology may be good enough to move forward peaceably in the locker room but I’m skeptical he truly gets it now after all these years.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 3