Drew Brees

Wally Pryor

lu7y-7AR_normal.jpg
"I could’ve easily got on social media and attacked @drewbrees yesterday. His comments were extremely insensitive, dismissive, and flat out disappointing. Knowing him personally and his character I decided not to do so, and addressed things internally...."

Sure sounds like he DID attack Drew Brees on social media.

TAKE-LOSS-INNA.jpg 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markstanco said:
12 hours ago, Post Oak said:
I'm not thinking he's very sorry.

Do explain here. You don't like his politics correct? Why is he not sorry?

I’m sure he didn’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings so he’s sorry for that. I don’t think that can be disputed. I just thought it was cheesy as fuck, and could’ve been accomplished in a written statement. But I’m also a shitty person who chooses to not see the good in certain situations, so I can own up to that lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m sure he didn’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings so he’s sorry for that. I don’t think that can be disputed. I just thought it was cheesy as fuck, and could’ve been accomplished in a written statement. But I’m also a shitty person who chooses to not see the good in certain situations, so I can own up to that lol. 

Most of these apologies are bullshit and nothing but PR damage control. They are not truly sincere. He's not sorry for making the statements themselves. He's just sorry so many took it the way they did and there is a huge difference. It's like the Fromm situation. He isn't sorry he made that statement. He's just sorry it saw the light of day in public. Most likely both of them will over compensate to try and show they really do and are with the movement. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

I'm sure these guys were already thinking of doing something but I'd imagine this Drew Brees situation helped expedite their message.

Yeaaaa players are going to be able to do whatever they fuck they want during the anthem after all this. Finally.

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

Simple solution: ban the national anthem. Checkmate mother fuckers!

When did the national anthem become a huge thing? I remember not even that long ago the players were still in the locker rooms when it was being played. No one gave a shit about it at all. Well until Kap kneeled for it. When you were at games, people were not even paying attention to it at all and this included military people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Brees' apology is not going to change much with the players around the league. They are going to be ready to knock his head off.

Watching Payton try to navigate being mad about players deliberately trying to hurt his player should be entertaining 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

When did the national anthem become a huge thing? I remember not even that long ago the players were still in the locker rooms when it was being played. No one gave a shit about it at all. Well until Kap kneeled for it. When you were at games, people were not even paying attention to it at all and this included military people.

If the national anthem must be played during domestic sporting events (it really doesn't have to be), then have the players take the field, court, pitch, etc. after the anthem has been played. Simple fix.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Most of these apologies are bullshit and nothing but PR damage control. They are not truly sincere. He's not sorry for making the statements themselves. He's just sorry so many took it the way they did and there is a huge difference. It's like the Fromm situation. He isn't sorry he made that statement. He's just sorry it saw the light of day in public. Most likely both of them will over compensate to try and show they really do and are with the movement. 

I do think there’s something to be said about realizing you’ve legitimately unintentionally offended someone, and owning up to it and apologizing. That is commendable. But yeah, he definitely meant everything he said, and that’s fine. Tone deaf, and ignorant IMO (especially since he’s been in the locker room having the conversations) but fine. It was more about it being historically bad timing.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/05/charles-barkley-calls-reaction-to-drew-brees-comments-overkill/

“Drew’s original statement, I thought, was insensitive. It was very insensitive, especially during this time. But I thought the negative reaction from every talking head on television and some of his teammates was overkill. I never heard a bad word about Drew Brees in my life. He made a mistake. But we’ve gotten to the point in society where everybody on social media thinks they are God, judge and jury. Drew Brees made a mistake,” Barkley said on TNT.

• Like 3

I doubt most people even saw his comments. They see on social media that Drew Brees is a racist and run with it. He was dumb to say anything at this point but the hate he’s getting is mostly built up frustration and he’s the easy target right now because he put himself there. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I doubt most people even saw his comments. They see on social media that Drew Brees is a racist and run with it. He was dumb to say anything at this point but the hate he’s getting is mostly built up frustration and he’s the easy target right now because he put himself there. 

When the social media mob mentality gets ramped up, there’s no stopping it. He’s just gotta weather the storm and get to football season and hope that he hasn’t hit the wall. Because if he plays well and the saints play well, most people will forget about it quickly. But if he doesn’t, and Father Time catches up to him as quickly as it did for Peyton Manning...

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

When the social media mob mentality gets ramped up, there’s no stopping it. He’s just gotta weather the storm and get to football season and hope that he hasn’t hit the wall. Because if he plays well and the saints play well, most people will forget about it quickly. But if he doesn’t, and Father Time catches up to him as quickly as it did for Peyton Manning...

I'm surprised that people with something to lose don't turn their social media over to their agent or publicist.  You cannot win anything but can lose everything over a change in head wind. 

6 hours ago, Chad said:

I don't get this. What is Brees going to lose exactly? He didn't lose his job with the Saints, still has his family, friends, millions from his playing career. He lost some of his "great guy" shine and the trust of teammates. That kind of thing happens when you say something stupid and insensitive. The response seems in fair relation to his fuck-up to me. And if he plays well and keeps from saying anything else stupid it will mostly be forgotten. I assume Drew's vet grandfathers taught him a man is accountable for his actions.

The "cancel culture" that people wring their hands over is really just getting made fun of online for 48 hours. The only way to truly be "cancelled" in a way that sticks seems to be to sexually assault dozens of women. And sometimes not even then. 

• Like 3

As a veteran (88-95) I agree with a vast majority of what Drew Brees stated. During my time, many of whom I served with were minorities and some were my best friends.

A lot of what he stated was even the reason I joined in the first place. Many will say it was different back then, but I digress. IMO “service” was always about the bigger picture. I originally went in for 3 years and the “college fund”, but I loved the commraderie and re-enlisted for four more. The concept of race didn’t exist while growing up in SE Texas, thus definitely didn’t exist in the service - IMO (we were all GREEN)!

After my service time was up, living in Austin, I went to school from 8-12, and then worked the night shift at the Williamson Co. Jail. I was a veteran, so it was easy access and a decent job while attending college classes. I know the “criminal element” first-hand from those days. Friday and Saturday nights were a blurr, to put it nicely.

Now I’m just part of the bucket of old men screaming at clouds, as well as not understanding today’s “snowflake” generation. With two kids in college, sometimes I just shake my head!

Rant over, but I love my country and what I believe it stands for. Texan, veteran, husband, Father, and citizen - I do care!

Msu i prolly ran i to you back then in my former life is was a leo in wilco.
Thank god I got out when I did. Its gotta be insufferable on the job now a days.

17 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Brees' apology is not going to change much with the players around the league. They are going to be ready to knock his head off.

What's changed?  That's been the key to beating the Saints for more than a decade.

I guess they're gonna hit him extra harderer.

10 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I don't get this. What is Brees going to lose exactly? He didn't lose his job with the Saints, still has his family, friends, millions from his playing career. He lost some of his "great guy" shine and the trust of teammates. That kind of thing happens when you say something stupid and insensitive. The response seems in fair relation to his fuck-up to me. And if he plays well and keeps from saying anything else stupid it will mostly be forgotten. I assume Drew's vet grandfathers taught him a man is accountable for his actions.

The "cancel culture" that people wring their hands over is really just getting made fun of online for 48 hours. The only way to truly be "cancelled" in a way that sticks seems to be to sexually assault dozens of women. And sometimes not even then. 

I would be VERY surprised if he’s still NBC’s color commentator for Sunday night football when he retires. Not saying that’s the only gig he’ll ever get, but I’d be surprised if they moved forward with that knowing what they know now. I could be wrong though. He did have that job all but locked up before all of this, right?

11 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I would be VERY surprised if he’s still NBC’s color commentator for Sunday night football when he retires. Not saying that’s the only gig he’ll ever get, but I’d be surprised if they moved forward with that knowing what they know now. I could be wrong though. He did have that job all but locked up before all of this, right?

Maybe he loses a broadcast gig from it but I'd be surprised if this was the reason he isn't hired. All it took was 24 hours and a half-assed apology that amounted to "I'm sorry if you were offended" and basically all his teammates are publicly letting him off the hook. Give this thing a few years and it will be barely a footnote on his bio.

Not really relevant, but the assumption was that he would go directly to the Sunday Prime Time spot as soon as he retires? He never struck me as having the personality that Romo does, I feel like he'd be very boring in the booth. 

18 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The only time I paid it any mind was when I was in JROTC in high school and on the color guard which was...decades ago.  Outside of that, it was always kind of a little warning that the start of the game was not too far off, and finish buying snacks/pissing/whatever.

Shit, it seems like half the time, they don't even show it on TV.

6 hours ago, Deej said:

It'd be easier to identify all the current or incoming students who didn't post racist or offensive statements. 

What they really meant to say was "any current or soon to be student who made insensitive comments and has not paid his/her tuition/room/board will immediately receive a phone call with detail of how we will make your life hell or make everything go away".

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The only time I paid it any mind was when I was in JROTC in high school and on the color guard which was...decades ago.  Outside of that, it was always kind of a little warning that the start of the game was not too far off, and finish buying snacks/pissing/whatever.

Shit, it seems like half the time, they don't even show it on TV.

Maybe this just makes me sound un-American, but every time I hear the star spangled banner it’s usually because a big game is minutes away from going down. So it’s almost like Bruce buffer at a UFC event like “ITS TIME!” followed up with a touching of the gloves and the crowd going crazy. It usually gives me goosebumps, but only because a badass sporting event is about to go down. If it isn’t a big game, they won’t even show it half the time. 

That’s honestly the only time I hear it, and it’s the only thing it makes me think of. Doesn’t really make me think of veterans or really even America. Just...sports. And I don’t think that’s even an unpopular take.

18 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

1941-42: Playing the national anthem before the start of regular season baseball games became the standard. And with the U.S. in World War II now, the National Football League also included the playing of the anthem before games.

1945: NFL commissioner Elmer Layden said, "The playing of the national anthem should be as much a part of every game as the kickoff. We must not drop it simply because the war is over. We should never forget what it stands for."

2009: NFL players began standing on the field for the national anthem before the start of primetime games. Before this, players would stay in their locker rooms except during the Super Bowl and after 9/11.

2015: Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake released a report revealing that the Department of Defense had spent $6.8 million between 2012 and 2015 on what the senators called "paid patriotism" events before professional sports games, including American flag displays, honoring of military members, reenlistment ceremonies, etc. The DoD justified the money paid to 50 professional sports teams by calling it part of their recruiting strategy. However, many teams had these ceremonies without compensation from the military, and there was nothing found in the contracts that mandated that players stand during the anthem.

https://www.axios.com/the-history-of-singing-the-national-anthem-before-nfl-games-1513305769-97a4edd0-6748-432d-b1cc-2b377848e712.html

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is just absolutely incorrect.  Sorry, but wholly fuck.  It'd be like everyone ignoring the Eyes at a UT game, except about 11 billionty times worse.  It just wouldn't happen.  Period.

• Like 1

There is the apology many were looking for initially. I’m trying to not be cynical and believe he really has made the effort to listen and open his mind the last few days. 

The “To President Trump” picture is hilarious though. 

Edited by UncleSonny

21 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

If the national anthem must be played during domestic sporting events (it really doesn't have to be), then have the players take the field, court, pitch, etc. after the anthem has been played. Simple fix.

Maybe people can let them do whatever the fuck they want and not make it into a huge fucking deal

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

945: NFL commissioner Elmer Layden said, "The playing of the national anthem should be as much a part of every game as the kickoff. We must not drop it simply because the war is over. We should never forget what it stands for."

We could use a man like the 4th Horseman again.

6 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

There is the apology many were looking for initially. I’m trying to not be cynical and believe he really has made the effort to listen and open his mind the last few days. 

The “To President Trump” picture is hilarious though. 

It's been 56 years since the Civil Rights Act was passed.  That letter from Brees needs to address a shit ton more folks than just Trump.

I mean is he not allowed to have that opinion?  Whether you agree with him or not the idea that he's a bad person because he said he wouldn't support not standing for the flag is nonsense.  Can't deviate from the narrative at all or people will just jump your nuts.  His apology just made him look like a tool.  In that instance Trump was right.  He shouldn't have to apologize for his opinion.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apex73 said:

I mean is he not allowed to have that opinion?  Whether you agree with him or not the idea that he's a bad person because he said he wouldn't support not standing for the flag is nonsense.  Can't deviate from the narrative at all or people will just jump your nuts.  His apology just made him look like a tool.  In that instance Trump was right.  He shouldn't have to apologize for his opinion.  

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, just as those who disagree with his opinion are allowed to tell him to STFU. 

It goings both ways, just like @bad_teammate