Drew Brees

Wally Pryor

Pretty clear his apologies have been crafted by his agents - too bad he fucked up and didn't let them write the first statement. They must have shit themselves at the thought of losing their tenth or quarter of the next few years' contracts... gotta be millions on the line, potentially...

6 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, just as those who disagree with his opinion are allowed to tell him to STFU. 

It goings both ways, just like @bad_teammate

I agree but it is kind of like he doesn't have the right to say it when the saints say you gotta walk that back to protect our brand.  

11 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

I agree but it is kind of like he doesn't have the right to say it when the saints say you gotta walk that back to protect our brand.  

The Saints and every other non-governmental entity has the right to protect their brand. 

That’s the beauty of the system. Say something stupid, deal with the consequences, good or bad. 

The point of the protests is to shove it in people’s faces that this shit has gone on way too long. When someone actually sees it and admits that they were wrong and they’ll do better are we going to tell them all to fuck off, it’s too late?

Maybe he’s full of shit and maybe he has really seen the light but we can’t shit on everyone that changes their mind on the subject or we’re just wasting our time. 

2 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

The Saints and every other non-governmental entity has the right to protect their brand. 

That’s the beauty of the system. Say something stupid, deal with the consequences, good or bad. 

I understand they have a right to protect their brand.  Doesn't change the fact that he had to change what he said according to the narrative.  So its basically like I said, your'e not allowed to have the opinion if it gos against the narrative.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The point of the protests is to shove it in people’s faces that this shit has gone on way too long. When someone actually sees it and admits that they were wrong and they’ll do better are we going to tell them all to fuck off, it’s too late?

Maybe he’s full of shit and maybe he has really seen the light but we can’t shit on everyone that changes their mind on the subject or we’re just wasting our time. 

This didn't have anything to do with the George Floyd situation though.  He was talking about the anthem.  So I don't know what the protests have to do with it.  Because you can really tell how he feels in what he said just the day before.  People don't just rapidly change their point of view that quickly.  Its obviously pandering which made him look like a tool.  He shouldn't have to apologize for his opinion on that though.  Thats ridiculous.

32 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

I mean is he not allowed to have that opinion?  Whether you agree with him or not the idea that he's a bad person because he said he wouldn't support not standing for the flag is nonsense.  Can't deviate from the narrative at all or people will just jump your nuts.  His apology just made him look like a tool.  In that instance Trump was right.  He shouldn't have to apologize for his opinion.  

His opinion on the flag is not and was not the issue. He received the backlash because his comment had NOTHING to do with the topic being discussed.

Read the IG post to Trump. That's what the discussion is about.

27 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

I understand they have a right to protect their brand.  Doesn't change the fact that he had to change what he said according to the narrative.  So its basically like I said, your'e not allowed to have the opinion if it gos against the narrative.

Again, he didn't have to do anything. No one put a gun to head and made him apologize 15 times. 

It's very simple.  In life, you can say or do whatever you want. Some of those words and actions may have consequences, narrative or not, that's true for everyone. 

What makes this all so hilarious is that he clearly realized his brand was being destroyed, so he quickly changed course. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WJC88 said:

His opinion on the flag is not and was not the issue. He received the backlash because his comment had NOTHING to do with the topic being discussed.

Read the IG post to Trump. That's what the discussion is about.

Exactly thats what I just said.  But the reporter asked him a question specifically about kneeling during the anthem and just gave his opinion on it.  Don't see whats wrong with that. Because you don't discuss further about the issue doesn't make you a bad person.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Again, he didn't have to do anything. No one put a gun to head and made him apologize 15 times. 

It's very simple.  In life, you can say or do whatever you want. Some of those words and actions may have consequences, narrative or not, that's true for everyone. 

What makes this all so hilarious is that he clearly realized his brand was being destroyed, so he quickly changed course. 

Unfortunately that definitely seems to be the case.  How some people equate that with being racist is beyond me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

yeah his worst look in all of this is caving in to pressure.  he had nothing to apologize for and everyone, even on the other side, would have respected him more if he just held true to what he (apparently) believed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah his worst look in all of this is caving in to pressure.  he had nothing to apologize for and everyone, even on the other side, would have respected him more if he just held true to what he (apparently) believed. 

Yep, he could have clarified his remarks about the flag, and his support of the sacrifice folks in the military have made, and than added yes, and I realize it's not the same issues Kap was highlighting.  One could infer from all of the controversy around his comments that standing up for the flag makes you a racist.

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s racist to stand up for the anthem. What Drew needed to apologize for what being so insular in his thinking or so indifferent to the concerns of his teammates that he made zero effort to understand what the protest even was. 

https://www.armytimes.com/opinion/2016/08/30/an-open-letter-to-colin-kaepernick-from-a-green-beret-turned-long-snapper/

Nate Boyer wrote this almost four years ago. No excuse for Brees to say what he did now, especially with all that’s going on. It doesn’t make him racist, but it at least shows him to be some combination of selfish/clueless.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s racist to stand up for the anthem. What Drew needed to apologize for what being so insular in his thinking or so indifferent to the concerns of his teammates that he made zero effort to understand what the protest even was. 

https://www.armytimes.com/opinion/2016/08/30/an-open-letter-to-colin-kaepernick-from-a-green-beret-turned-long-snapper/

Nate Boyer wrote this almost four years ago. No excuse for Brees to say what he did now, especially with all that’s going on. It doesn’t make him racist, but it at least shows him to be some combination of selfish/clueless.

which is why i think his teammates reacted like they did.  how do you spend years around these guys and not pick up on what their going through?  that's the part i was most disappointed with as a fan of his.

2 hours ago, Apex73 said:

The NFL told players to STFU to protect its brand. That was a big part of the problem.

2 hours ago, Apex73 said:

You keep saying “the narrative” as though it’s just something made up out of nowhere. What you’re really talking about is very strong feelings by a lot of players in the NFL. Dismissing it as “a narrative” is just as tone deaf and insulting as Brees dismissing the reasons repeatedly given for the kneeling as not disrespect for the country and soldiers etc. 

Brees had every right to double down if he wanted to and others would have the right to hammer it as dismissive and insulting. He didn’t do that and I hope he’s genuine about it.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I think it takes only about 3 seconds of thinking to come up with that conclusion.

46 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
3 hours ago, Apex73 said:

Do you hate capitalism?

Corrupt capitalism yes which is what we have in America.  Capitalism in theory is a good idea.  The saints putting pressure on him to go back and change what he said made him look like an ass.  

25 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The NFL told players to STFU to protect its brand. That was a big part of the problem.

You keep saying “the narrative” as though it’s just something made up out of nowhere. What you’re really talking about is very strong feelings by a lot of players in the NFL. Dismissing it as “a narrative” is just as tone deaf and insulting as Brees dismissing the reasons repeatedly given for the kneeling as not disrespect for the country and soldiers etc. 

Brees had every right to double down if he wanted to and others would have the right to hammer it as dismissive and insulting. He didn’t do that and I hope he’s genuine about it.

I say the narrative because the news cycle stories change so rapidly.  No one gives a fuck about coronavirus anymore because all this shit started happening.  If you don't think there's a clear pattern of the media manipulating the story thats being told then you are the one who is tone deaf.  Strong feelings or not Drew Brees should have the right to his opinion about anything.  And they are acting like he doesn't was my point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

I guess this what i don’t understand. How much is it actually affecting the brand? If you’re interested in watching, you’re going to watch. You can either choose to not watch the anthem, or you can close your fucking eyes lol. Nobody is forcing anyone to watch that. But if you have a team you want to watch, you’re going to watch. If you have a bet, you aren’t just going to stop watching because of the anthem. If you’re in a fantasy league, you aren’t going to stop watching because of an anthem protest. It just sounds childish to even think anyone would just “take a stand” and stop watching their favorite sport, just because of this lol. Yes the ratings were slightly down, but they were down for everything. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

7 hours ago, BradInATX said:
10 hours ago, Apex73 said:

Do you hate capitalism?

The kind we have in this country which has the gap of income equality at ridiculous levels? Absolutely. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 6/6/2020 at 5:46 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I guess this what i don’t understand. How much is it actually affecting the brand? If you’re interested in watching, you’re going to watch. You can either choose to not watch the anthem, or you can close your fucking eyes lol. Nobody is forcing anyone to watch that. But if you have a team you want to watch, you’re going to watch. If you have a bet, you aren’t just going to stop watching because of the anthem. If you’re in a fantasy league, you aren’t going to stop watching because of an anthem protest. It just sounds childish to even think anyone would just “take a stand” and stop watching their favorite sport, just because of this lol. Yes the ratings were slightly down, but they were down for everything. 

Do I get to opt out of tax incentives so the NFL can build even larger palatial stadia with no water fountains? 

• 5 months later...

Looks like I was right in that other thread about Taysom getting first crack at starting after Brees. I guess Winston finished last game because it was easier to put him in mid-game and run the same system. 

Falcons bout to get that Mormon Missile all up in their face like Texas did over and over. Too soon?

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

Payton loves this shit.  Getting through this stretch depends mostly on ball security and neither guy is very good at that.  It'll be nice to see how we stretch the field though.  

Falcons always make me nervous.  So much talent on offense an we really don't want a shootout this week.  I hope the D continues what they've done the last 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Looks like I was right in that other thread about Taysom getting first crack at starting after Brees. I guess Winston finished last game because it was easier to put him in mid-game and run the same system. 

Falcons bout to get that Mormon Missile all up in their face like Texas did over and over. Too soon?

Its an interesting situation for sure. They have a known entity in Jameis and a completely unknown entity (at QB anyway) with Hill. I think they have to go this route or their decision to give Hill $20 million looks utterly ridiculous. I suspect they will have a quick hook however if Hill can't show that he can consistently throw the ball downfield at the NFL QB level. Nothing about his college stats or meager NFL stats suggest  he has that ability, but the Saints have seen him in practice for the last  3.5 years, so who knows. If he has any chance at the age of 30, they need to know now. I expect  a lot of check down passes to Kamara, so my fantasy team should be happy. 

My wife, who has an inexplicably dominant team just from drafting people she likes (Kamara #2 overall, Stefon Diggs 3rd round because of that catch etc.) Is debating whether to start Kelce or Taysom at TE. Meanwhile I'm trying to decide whether to start Cam Newton or Daniel Jones at QB. Fantasy football is bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Payton loves this shit.  Getting through this stretch depends mostly on ball security and neither guy is very good at that.  It'll be nice to see how we stretch the field though.  
Falcons always make me nervous.  So much talent on offense an we really don't want a shootout this week.  I hope the D continues what they've done the last 2 weeks.
Not even going to lie I'm kinda pumped to see it. Whether it's a trainwreck or Payton genius it'll be more entertaining than 700 screens to AK.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Brees will get pushed down the all time list because of the one ring. Manning basically Von Miller’d his way into ring number 2. 

Brady is the GOAT. Not the flashiest, but he just wins. 

Maybe Saints fan living in Houston will hide out until September. Narrator : You know they won’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1