Drew Brees

Wally Pryor

I’ve gotten a lot of mileage over the years casually dropping he went to my high school. My wife was a Katrina evacuee and we love the Saints.  It’s sad to see him go out like this, but the writing has been on the wall for several years and people have refused to see it, most of all, Drew Brees.  

Still, As a Westlake homer, I’ll always have that first state championship. 

• Hook 'Em 2

What Dennis Taylor wrote above is correct. There is never going to be a serious debate about putting Brees on a "Greatest of..." list. You can count at least 3 of his contemporaries that he won't be ranked above (Manning, Brady and Rodgers) and that's before you get into the Elways and Montanas. But he flat-out exceeded expectations at least 3 major times in his football life. Frankly, because he did that so well, it is more likely that in the years to come, he will be quite underappreciated. 

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

I’ve gotten a lot of mileage over the years casually dropping he went to my high school. My wife was a Katrina evacuee and we love the Saints.  It’s sad to see him go out like this, but the writing has been on the wall for several years and people have refused to see it, most of all, Drew Brees.  

Still, As a Westlake homer, I’ll always have that first state championship. 

Same. It’s always fun when someone asks me why I’m a Saints fan and I drop that he was our HS QB. 

I never thought I’d give a shit about the NFL again after the Oilers left but Drew turned me into a die hard Saints fan. Thanks for 25 years of fun, Drew. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

And San Diego rolled the dice with Phillip Rivers. 

Rivers is an underappreciated quarterback.  I don't think Brees beats the Pats in 2006 with the Chargers or wins a Super Bowl in San Diego with the Patriots in the AFC. Rivers had some years in the late 2000s-early 2010s where he was absolutely brilliant. 

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Rivers is an underappreciated quarterback.  I don't think Brees beats the Pats in 2006 with the Chargers or wins a Super Bowl in San Diego with the Patriots in the AFC. Rivers had some years in the late 2000s-early 2010s where he was absolutely brilliant. 

I was watching the game when Drew got injured (was still a fantasy football buff then). San Diego just never field a complete team. They'd either be limited by injuries or personnel. They were leaning heavily on Tomlinson in those years, if I recall correctly he had over 300 touches in a couple of seasons. You're right about Rivers though, guy was a baller, mouthy but played the game similarly to Drew, no quitting. 

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He probably would’ve won 2 if the refs hadn’t fucked the Saints in that conference championship game against the Rams a few years ago. They got robbed. 

I mean he had the ball again in overtime and could have won the game but what did he do? Choked and threw a pick to set up the Rams to win. But fans don't want to talk about that. Just that the refs fucked them over and make excuses for Brees. And go back further and how the Saints offense settled for so many FGs when they could have put the Rams away and their offense stalled so often. His one ring came because his defense balled out. They picked Favre in the NFC championship when they were about to win and I think made Adrian Peterson fumbled countless times.They pick 6'ed Peyton to seal that game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Drew wouldn't have won a title with the Chargers. One of the more poorly run organizations (that still manages to be competitive).

Absolutely true. Rivers was a damn good QB and had no better luck with the Chargers. Spanos couldn't get out of his own way.

I mean he had the ball again in overtime and could have won the game but what did he do? Choked and threw a pick to set up the Rams to win. But fans don't want to talk about that. Just that the refs fucked them over and make excuses for Brees. And go back further and how the Saints offense settled for so many FGs when they could have put the Rams away and their offense stalled so often. His one ring came because his defense balled out. They picked Favre in the NFC championship when they were about to win and I think made Adrian Peterson fumbled countless times.They pick 6'ed Peyton to seal that game.

Adrian Peterson carrying the football made Adrian Peterson fumble the football. Brett Favre throwing the football cause a pick or two.

He seemed to be good at football, and seemed to be a decent guy.  I wish him well in life after football.  I see his father every now and again around town, he seems happy to have his grandchildren coming back to Texas full-time.  That seems nice.  

On 3/15/2021 at 8:47 PM, Lobo said:

He seemed to be good at football, and seemed to be a decent guy.  I wish him well in life after football.  I see his father every now and again around town, he seems happy to have his grandchildren coming back to Texas full-time.  That seems nice.  

Really? It seems like they plan to live back in SD. 

Probably.  i dunno, i don't care.  Wherever they live in retirement, I'm guessing by nature of not living on the road 6 months a year, means more frequent and predictable stops in Austin for the kids' grandpa.  I think that's swell.  

• 1 year later...