Huge Hit In This High School Football Game

Vic Mackey

We had a safety who used to do that regularly, usually to a receiver away from the ball.  He would get big hit awards, and coaches would give him a little grief for some of the hits, but for the most part it was a different era and those hits weren't generally penalized.  

Last I checked he's serving his 2nd stint in prison, probably won't be out for a while. 

He played baseball here, once happened to see him fight Shane Dronnett at a restaurant on lake Austin.  

8 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

We had a safety who used to do that regularly, usually to a receiver away from the ball.  He would get big hit awards, and coaches would give him a little grief for some of the hits, but for the most part it was a different era and those hits weren't generally penalized.  

Last I checked he's serving his 2nd stint in prison, probably won't be out for a while. 

He played baseball here, once happened to see him fight Shane Dronnett at a restaurant on lake 

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of (westlake?) I thought he was running buddies with Dronett, but he certainly would not have been afraid to do it.  I saw him destroy a guy that outweighed him by at least 100 pounds.  

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That looks like targeting to me. He goes in with his helmet and, I think, hits the other kid helmet to helmet. Fast video though. 

I don't think it was helmet to helmet - but he targeted with his helmet. Might have caught him under the chin a bit. What it looks like is a broken collar bone. 

2wh41g8.jpg

15zmnbb.jpg

Best frames I could get. Kind of hard to see but you can at least see the angle. I think he caught the left side of his helmet helmet to helmet and mostly laid him out with that left shoulder.

So - yeah - a h2h targeting that should have probably been called. But it wasn't an outright spearing imo.

19 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of (westlake?) I thought he was running buddies with Dronett, but he certainly would not have been afraid to do it.  I saw him destroy a guy that outweighed him by at least 100 pounds.  

Ya.  his dronnett fight only people there would believe how it went. 

The good ol' crackback block.  In my day it was a strategy the coaches worked on with the WRs.  The harder you laid a dude out the more stickers you got for your helmet the next day while we watched film.

Never once was a flag thrown for it, even if the kid that got laid out had to be carted off on a stretcher.  Surprised they're still letting folks get away with it in this day and age, however.

• Like 1

De-cleating an opponent is completely unnecessary in executing an effective block or tackle.  It serves no purpose other than to injure an opponent and gain high fives from teammates and oohs and aahs from the crowd.  It should not be taught or encouraged at any level.  It’s going to kill the game.  

• Like 10
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

De-cleating an opponent is completely unnecessary in executing an effective block or tackle.  It serves no purpose other than to injure an opponent and gain high fives from teammates and oohs and aahs from the crowd.  It should not be taught or encouraged at any level.  It’s going to kill the game.  

But but that's the way the game should be played!! This generation is so soft!!

/meatheadrambling 

But you are right. Hell on this play, all he had to do is simply stand in front of him easily block him with his arms. I get keeping your head on a swivel but this hit was unnecessary. 

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think he caught the left side of his helmet helmet to helmet and mostly laid him out with that left shoulder.

1 hour ago, SurlyBDR said:

Looks to be a clean, yet violent as fuck play. Hope that kid is alright. Head on a swivel, son. 

Screenshot-20181118-214827-Facebook.jpg

Good angle. Basically confirms what I thought. 

3 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Cheap shot. Dude should be suspended.

millennial. 

3 hours ago, Marfa Low Crown said:

That's up there with the Coryatt hit. That looks a little too violent to be legal in today's game but I'm too lazy to look it up. 

too violent to be legal?  dafuck?

3 hours ago, Not a cat said:

I know in Minnesota youth ball that would be illegal, but no idea about Texas high school.  If you're blindsiding someone in the open field you can only hit them with your extended arms.  

what game are you describing?  this is a discussion about football. 

3 hours ago, WBT said:

Nice hit

red-blooded american. 

all joking aside, you can’t just run around on a football field without taking stock of your surroundings.  that’s not how the game works.  if you’re oblivious to your opponent you pay for it.  this kid did.  lesson learned.  he’ll probably be more aware the next time he chases down a ball carrier in the flat. 

I agree that it should have been flagged.  You can see him launching himself head first towards a defenseless player.  Cheat shot.  You can easily block him without launching to take his head off when he's not even looking your direction.  Part me understands why they are getting more strict with the rules.  Imagine the shit storm that would ensue if that happened in a big college game on tv and the player didn't get up.

Yeah, I don't think high school kids need to be laying each other the fuck out.  99% of them are never going to play football after the Fall semester of their Senior year.  No point in taking serious damage so a high school coach can get a pay raise when he jumps ship to a bigger school.

I got knocked around pretty good playing offensive tackle, but I got a serious concussion one time.  Went to cut block the opposing DT and his knee caught me on the top of my helmet.  When I came around everyone had already huddled up for the next play.  I literally was seeing green.  Everything had a green tinge to it.  I also couldn't remember simple shit like my blocking assignment for 38 Power or Toss Right.  Never came out of the game.  O-line coach asked me if I was alright and I told him I couldn't remember a damn thing and that he sorta looked like Kermit the Frog.  He told me not to worry and that I'd be fine for the 2nd half. 

Had one of our teammates take a huge hit and he had to be care flighted out.  He almost ended up paralyzed.  Five foot six, 135 pounds, was never going to sniff a football field after that season was over.  Almost ended up a paraplegic over a game. 

I enjoyed my time playing and I suppose it taught me some shit, but it sure as fuck wasn't worth getting a lifetime's worth of damage over.  I think you can encourage not killing each other and still have it be football.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

I think you can encourage not killing each other and still have it be football.

why risk it

aren't we better than this, as coastal Americans? I mean I already know I'm better than the kind of people who like high school football, but why is anyone allowed to be this way.

Edited by SwanderedTalent

Used to love seeing those hits... now I cringe and hope the player is ok. And when they happen in HS games I can't help but think how stupid/dangerous the sport is, and the risk of playing is no where worth it for 95% of the kids. 

Yeah, I’m the same way, and I have been for a while. It happened before my son got a concussion, but seeing what he went through made it even clearer.

Seeing my son at the dinner table crying because of the headache, seeing him take twice as long to do homework, seeing him not wanting to go outside because of the light, it was rough. I don’t wish that on any kid or parent.

• Like 3