OUsux Next DC

TexasFan21

Interesting. First year of "Co-DC" at Alabama, DC at UTSA from 16-17. That's it as far as FBS coordinator experience. Only 34.

I get that pulling someone from the Bama staff is a splash but he is pretty green for a program with the depth of both pockets and defensive issues OU has. No experience in the B12.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Interesting. First year of "Co-DC" at Alabama, DC at UTSA from 16-17. That's it as far as FBS coordinator experience. Only 34.

I get that pulling someone from the Bama staff is a splash but he is pretty green for a program with the depth of both pockets and defensive issues OU has. No experience in the B12.

Ou's cigars will shell out the money. Where it gets interesting is if Riley leaves, who they gonna get? You know that guy is going to want to hire his own people. 

Edit- read that all wrong. 

Edited by BigHorn'13

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I wouldn't touch anyone with any sort of defensive experience in the Big 12.  The defense of every team in the entire conference is dog shit.

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Ou's cigars will shell out the money. Where it gets interesting is if Riley leaves, who they gonna get? You know that guy is going to want to hire his own people. 

I know - that's why I find it pretty odd. Obviously Venables is the biggest fish out there and he is off the table, but there are seemingly better choices. Mike MacIntyre just got fired at Colorado - he is a proven defensive mind, is familiar with recruiting Texas, and needs a high profile landing spot for career rehab. Or if you're going to go for an underling who doesn't really run the defense, why not go with one that has had more time to absorb the system and has more experience? Scalley at Utah or Glasgow from TCU come to mind.

I for for one hope they get a case of what-have-you-done-for-me-lately syndrome and hire Manny _iaz. 

6 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Ranking of likely Riley replacements if he goes

Campbell

Babers

Littrell

Stoops

Seeing this list just reminds me that there just are no sure things as Head Coaches in CFB anymore......

BlowU is damn lucky to have Riley..... he's a brilliant offensive mind, but not sure yet if he's a great HC.....

Some at Clemson wanted to run Dabo off early as their Head Coach.

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Seeing this list just reminds me that there just are no sure things as Head Coaches in CFB anymore......

BlowU is damn lucky to have Riley..... he's a brilliant offensive mind, but not sure yet if he's a great HC.....

Some at Clemson wanted to run Dabo off early as their Head Coach.

He's 22-3.

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

You don’t think he had any input on the guys on offense when he was the OC?

A few..... Most first-time Head Coaches don't start their first year with as great a situation as Lincoln Riley did.  That was a Team capable of winning The National Championship last year......

2 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

BlowU was having trouble getting production out of QBs for a couple years until Riley came along as OC. I doubt that this is a Helfrich/Mariota situation in turd burglar land.

No shit.  Riley kept Stoops from going out the way of bitchtits.  That’s pretty obvious.  

If he stays and lands a good DC (not even great) they’ll compete for titles.  That’s a big if.  NFL has to be really tempting for a guy his age.  

2 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

Rumor is they are targeting Co-DC and ILB coach Pete Golding at Bama.

Will be interesting to monitor given Riley flirting with jumping to the NFL.

Wow. From UTSA to DC after one season.  Best coaching story out of UTSA.  The rest just suck right now. 

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I wouldn't touch anyone with any sort of defensive experience in the Big 12.  The defense of every team in the entire conference is dog shit.

Call me crazy, but I think there may be some sort of correlation with the offenses in the Big 12. 

5 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

Super K been hinting Murray may come back. Think that shits a pipe dream.

Murray would be a dumbass to come back. Then again he picked Aggy the first go round. But as mentioned above...don't think it's up to him. The agreement between him and the A's was that he'd play this year and be with the team in the spring. 

Edited by Happy Gilmore

31 minutes ago, NowThis said:

why does Riley want to leave a cushy job for the bloodbath that is the NFL? Saban could not dominate with superior players and returned to college. Is the pay that much better, because the job security is zero. 

NFL Job is just coaching football with more adults as players.   No more recruiting or Big Money Donors to deal with.

Disadvantages of NFL is difficulty of roster management due to salary cap so harder for quick turnarounds for bad teams.  Read comment by Saban somewhere about how at Bama he signs at least 7-8 1st Rd players with each recruiting class.....

Edited by LTtxfan

34 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

NFL Job is just coaching football with more adults as players.   No more recruiting or Big Money Donors to deal with.

Disadvantages of NFL is difficulty of roster management due to salary cap so harder for quick turnarounds for bad teams.  Read comment by Saban somewhere about how at Bama he signs at least 7-8 1st Rd players with each recruiting class.....

it's a downward move to take an NFL job because you can't choose players and so cannot dominate as in top college programs. 

35 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

There are pluses and minuses to both.  In the NFL, the quality of ownership varies wildly.  Sure, you give up dealing with shady boosters but you have dipshit owners like Haslam and Davis.  The money is only marginally better at the HC level, too.  

Lifestyle is also much better in college.  Better work life balance and the money is equal.

OU football is one of the best jobs in all of sports and Riley isn't leaving it to coach for Jimmy Fucking Haslam.

Lifestyle is also much better in college.  Better work life balance and the money is equal.

lulz

Recruiting never stops. Work life balance isn't better in college and acting like that is what someone who is thinking about jumping to an NFL head coach job is going to base his decision on is silly.

All that matters is whether or not he wants to coach in the NFL. Everything else is irrelevant.
  • Like 1