40 Years Ago Tonight: Earl vs. Miami MNF

MirrOlure

How can the game be any safer now when hardly any pads are worn in comparison to then?

EC was the widest football player I think I ever remember watching play football.  I watched this whole game, huge fins fan.  I might get to see them play 4 x a year back then.  I was disappointed in the loss, but was in awe at what I was watching EC do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

How can the game be any safer now when hardly any pads are worn in comparison to then?

EC was the widest football player I think I ever remember watching play football.  I watched this whole game, huge fins fan.  I might get to see them play 4 x a year back then.  I was disappointed in the loss, but was in awe at what I was watching EC do.

It was awesome.  Truly awesome.

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

Millennials, listen too this video to grasp just how unbelievably bad ESPN has screwed up Monday Nite Football.  Lots of people didn't like Cosell, some didn't like Gifford, but they were a million times better than the abomination that is Tessitore and Witten.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Millennials, listen too this video to grasp just how unbelievably bad ESPN has screwed up Monday Nite Football.  Lots of people didn't like Cosell, some didn't like Gifford, but they were a million times better than the abomination that is Tessitore and Witten.

Or anyone since then.   Cosell, Gifford, and Meredith made Monday Night Football must see TV regardless of who was playing.   

Damn this brings back a lot of memories.  Loved the atmosphere  in the Astrodome during that era.....the crappy  turf with the faded yard lines,  columbia blue, and Earl.     Oh and the Bum.  

I'd love to go back in time in De Lorean to see it again.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Oh, but we didn't get this then:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

EC was the widest football player I think I ever remember watching play football.

Seeing TE Mike Barber in that clip brought back memories.  During my sr year in HS I worked at a grocery store in Missouri City, Barber & his wife shopped there all the time.  That fucker's shoulders damn near took up an aisle. csb

Cosell was greatness, fuck the haters.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I had forgotten just how awful that astrodome surface was.  

I was in marching band back then, HS playoff games were held in the 'dome - and you're damn right that surface was shitty.  Hard as a rock and there were gaps in the turf where I could swear I saw concrete.

25 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The Texans ownership need to pay whatever it costs to go back to the Oilers.

no no, see, the TexansTM are focus-group tested, as is the Lone Star Bull LogoTM and the Official ColorsTM of Deep Steel BlueTM, Battle RedTM, and Legally Enforceable Copyright Form WhiteTM

Edited by SwanderedTalent

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I had forgotten just how awful that astrodome surface was.  

Yes if you wanted to get the feel of how it felt to land on turf surfaces back then, just pretend you are tackling someone on a mini golf  or putt-putt course surface.   It was just carpet glued to concrete, no padding or anything of the such compared to today.  

If I recall, DKR's surface back then wasn't too much better.   The artificial turfs of 70's and 80's, in retrospect really sucked.   I hated seeing baseball played on it and I still do even on the new stuff. 

I was there. What a game and whoever talked about how great the announcers were back then was right. Today, you stick a former jock in the booth. My fondest memories from those days came from the Cotton Bowl when the broadcast started with ...This is Lindsey Nelson and he was wearing    his jacket with 20 different colors.

After the game, I go back to my car and just as I am opening the door, I noticed that both of my back tires had been stolen. Didn't get home till about 4 AM but it was worth it.

23227388812ccac46dffbf3e6b77ba4f.jpg

This right here.....just sprinted 81 yards on his 28th carry, 4th TD....staggering exhausted to the bench with assistance....first thing that pops into his head when he sees the TV camera?

Yep. That and, “hi, mom”, to sweet Anne Campbell.

Geez, I loved Earl. I’d still wear my old “Houston Earlers” jersey if it hadn’t been lost to time all those years ago. What’s cool is that everyone about ~48 and up would know exactly what it meant and nod approval. Hook ‘em, Earl.
  • Like 1

I’ll butcher this story but like the one about an Oilers AC complaining to Bum about Earl not doing a drill where he was to run backwards and Bum tells the AC he doesn’t plan to call any plays for Earl to run backwards.  GD shame they never got to kick in that door. 

26 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I’ll butcher this story but like the one about an Oilers AC complaining to Bum about Earl not doing a drill where he was to run backwards and Bum tells the AC he doesn’t plan to call any plays for Earl to run backwards.  GD shame they never got to kick in that door. 

Renfro scored.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I call bullshit on that

That’s what I saw reported.  Plausible because:

1- Guys can dramatically alter their 40 time with a better start.   So even if it’s a 4.8 total time he could be cruising like a guy with a 4.5-4.6 time over the final 30 yards if his start was really sloppy

2- He’s a guy that was more of a bruiser than a burner.

Edited by S11

18 hours ago, Marshall_Lucky said:

Remember watching that as a 12 year old on a 13” b&w tv in my bedroom. Bum rocking the silk disco shirt and working that chaw of Red Man. MNF was an event back then.

Same here, same age.  I remember watching that last run with his torn jersey flapping, and was so proud to be a Longhorn fan. 

For a good solid 5 year run Earl Campbell was the absolute baddest man walking the face of the Earth.

It's a shame that they ran him into the ground.  I really wish there was a way to go back in time and make the Oilers draft Warren Moon to play quarterback so that they would have been rookies together instead of only getting to play 6 games together when the team was absolute dogshit.

FUCK BUD ADAMS

• Like 1

Watched that game live in our living room. Got to stay up late, because earl.

Till I graduated high school 10 yrs later, I had the next day’s chronicle photo of Earl on his last touchdown run of the night tacked to my bulletin board.

Got to austin a few years later for school. Bumped into Earl at el arroyo (didn’t realize then I’d see him all around town over the next few years). This man was my hero, I had to say something. “Earl, I just wanted to tell you that you were my first hero, and you never let me down.” Shy and quiet as he was, he still smiled and said thanks.

I’ll go to my deathbed loving Earl Campbell.

And yeah...Cosell was magical. MNF will never top that lineup.

• Like 2