American missionary shot full of arrows on remote island

bolverk

An American is reported to have been killed by an endangered tribe in India's Andaman and Nicobar islands.

Fishermen who took the man to North Sentinel island say tribespeople shot him with arrows and left his body on the beach.

Local media say he was a missionary. He has been identified as John Allen Chau.

Contact with indigenous Andaman tribes living in isolation from the world is illegal. Estimates say the Sentinelese number between only about 50 and 150.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46286215

Just now, bolverk said:

The fact there remain these remote tribes isolated from the modern world is absolutely fascinating. I just can't fathom why some people go out their way to fuck with them.

The same reason assholes just HAVE to go on vacations to North Korea or hike the border areas of Afghanistan, because they are assholes.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The fact there remain these remote tribes isolated from the modern world is absolutely fascinating. I just can't fathom why some people go out their way to fuck with them.

Yep they don't fuck with you don't fuck with them. Not really that hard to understand

He was trying to convert them to Christianity and blatantly ignored their rule of law which states don’t come to the damn island. 

But no, he tried to be a hero saying “no one can get on the island, but i can.”  Bitch who the fuck are you?  Oh I know—ya dead. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

He was trying to convert them to Christianity and blatantly ignored their rule of law which states don’t come to the damn island. 

But no, he tried to be a hero saying “no one can get on the island, but i can.”  Bitch who the fuck are you?  Oh I know—ya dead. 

The power of christ compels you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Sentinelese were among the first people to successfully migrate out of Africa and scientists believe they came to the Andaman islands 60,000 years ago.

if you want to see a time capsule of human beings from 60,000 years ago, this is it. It's amazing. Makes me think that the only people out of Africa were the west Africans who may have been the original modern homo sapiens, even though all the earliest fossils are in east Africa, except for a recent one in north Africa which predates all the others. 

Edited by NowThis

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Report I heard says he was an adventure tourists, so I am guessing he went more for the thrill than missionary work.  Either way he bought his ticket.

Maybe they just found him in missionary position and the rest got lost in translation.

AV.gif

• Like 1

That's fascinating. Just the fact that a group of 50 - 150 people could survive 60,000 years is amazing. You'd think a piece of trash with some random virus on it would've washed up at some point and wiped them out.

Weird to read the story of the attempted rescue of fishermen though. An army helicopter was repelled by arrows...I mean, haven't we figured out a way around such advanced weaponry? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

That's fascinating. Just the fact that a group of 50 - 150 people could survive 60,000 years is amazing. You'd think a piece of trash with some random virus on it would've washed up at some point and wiped them out.

Weird to read the story of the attempted rescue of fishermen though. An army helicopter was repelled by arrows...I mean, haven't we figured out a way around such advanced weaponry? 

I am sure the army helicopter was under a strict no fire order.

29 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

The fishermen were dead already.  The helicopter was there to recover the bodies, and it did.

And it is shocking they've survived this long with that small a population.   The bigger shocker is that the Brits left them alone when their first contact failed in 1880.  Those weren't your kinder gentler Brits of today.  Although I suppose they were kinder than the Brits of the 1400s-1700s, so they are lucky they weren't discovered by the East India Company too who would have probably just wiped them out.

Edited by FondrenRoad

29 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The fishermen were dead already.  The helicopter was there to recover the bodies, and it did.

And it is shocking they've survived this long with that small a population.   The bigger shocker is that the Brits left them alone when their first contact failed in 1880.  Those weren't your kinder gentler Brits of today.  Although I suppose they were kinder than the Brits of the 1400s-1700s, so they are lucky they weren't discovered by the East India Company too who would have probably just wiped them out.

i was reading somewhere that one or two elderly natives were captured and taken on board a Euro ship (probably Brit) but died a few days on ship due to lack of immunity. They look west African, although some ancient Malay-Australo peoples like the Australian Aborigines do also, but these people REALLY look west African. I'd love to drop a 23 & me box on them, see if they figure it out. 

46 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Not according to Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sentinel_Island

After the Primrose grounded on the North Sentinel Island reef on 2 August 1981, crewmen several days later noticed that some men carrying spears and arrows were building boats on the beach. The captain of Primrose radioed for an urgent drop of firearms so his crew could defend themselves. They did not receive any because a large storm stopped other ships from reaching them, but the heavy seas also prevented the islanders from approaching the ship. One week later, the crewmen were rescued by a helicopter under contract to the Indian Oil And Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).[22].

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Not according to Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sentinel_Island

After the Primrose grounded on the North Sentinel Island reef on 2 August 1981, crewmen several days later noticed that some men carrying spears and arrows were building boats on the beach. The captain of Primrose radioed for an urgent drop of firearms so his crew could defend themselves. They did not receive any because a large storm stopped other ships from reaching them, but the heavy seas also prevented the islanders from approaching the ship. One week later, the crewmen were rescued by a helicopter under contract to the Indian Oil And Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).[22].

That's not the fishermen.  Fishermen are in this wiki.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese  January 2006.  The islanders never successfully repelled a military helicopter.

31 minutes ago, NowThis said:

i was reading somewhere that one or two elderly natives were captured and taken on board a Euro ship (probably Brit) but died a few days on ship due to lack of immunity. They look west African, although some ancient Malay-Australo peoples like the Australian Aborigines do also, but these people REALLY look west African. I'd love to drop a 23 & me box on them, see if they figure it out. 

That would be interesting.  I wonder if they'd all identify as siblings in a DNA test.

long time ago, someone surmised their origin was Gregory Gym. I don't believe that but whatever!

Now, do they fish? in the middle of the ocean and they don't venture off the island.  Really is very intriguing in all aspects, would be cool to fly a thermo night vision drove over them, see what they are doing. No sign of cooking fires either, no smoke? So it's all lizards and fruit? We should charter a boat and go. 

7 minutes ago, NowThis said:

long time ago, someone surmised their origin was Gregory Gym. I don't believe that but whatever!

Now, do they fish? in the middle of the ocean and they don't venture off the island.  Really is very intriguing in all aspects, would be cool to fly a thermo night vision drove over them, see what they are doing. No sign of cooking fires either, no smoke? So it's all lizards and fruit? We should charter a boat and go. 

Crazily they don't use fire.

From wiki:

"The Sentinelese are a hunter-gatherer society subsisting on hunting, fishing, and collecting wild plants. There is no evidence of agriculture or fire making.[10] The Sentinelese language is an unclassified languageand is not mutually intelligible with the Jarawa language of their nearest neighbours.[5] The Sentinelese are designated as a Scheduled Tribe.[11]"

35 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I wonder if more than half of those cheering for the tribesmen are against the castle doctrine. 

I’ve never seen anyone on this or tos that’s against cd.  The only argument is how it’s accomplished. These folks use bows and arrows so props to them.