American missionary shot full of arrows on remote island

bolverk

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

That has to be one of the craziest stories though right?  Rando shows up out of nowhere with all sorts of info about local towing companies being illegal and how we can all take them down, legally, as far as I can tell, and then ends up being a pederast AND a belligerent rock thrower who endangers the local populace and gets caught within a few months? 

and, he had the AIDS, IIRC

11 hours ago, texashorne said:

Some of you guys are making this tribe out to be some sort of peaceful happy group of people that sit around a campfire and live in some tropical island harmony, fishing and making seashell necklaces. Do some research on the murder, rape, incest and pedophilia that they commit on a daily basis and then form an opinion. This isn't Disney's Moana. Their "Moana" probably got pregnant with her granddad's kid when she was 11. 

Whoa.

Murder, rape, incest, AND pedophilia on a daily basis. Not "or", but "and".

That's quite a claim.

On 12/6/2018 at 1:45 AM, BERT said:

Haven’t read the whole thread, but maybe the tribes people are just trying to keep Kong to themselves?? 

Got damned it Bert, now any thoughts about mythology vs biology are gone...  You are obviously correct.   The answer is BOTH

king_kong_1933-24.jpg

6 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Whoa.

Murder, rape, incest, AND pedophilia on a daily basis. Not "or", but "and".

That's quite a claim.

knowing human history.....what do you think the chances that this tribe somehow rises above every other culture in the history of mankind?  do you think that it is a possibility that 50 to 150 stone age tribespeople are not practicing incest?  What about rape?  do you think that rape never happens?  i have no idea if it is happening daily (and the original comment was not mine) but it is sort of my assumption that when we men are involved....there is going to be a certain amount of men who rape, commit pedophilia and practice incest. not one of those practices has ever made sense to me....disgusts me beyond belief, but we all know how prevalent those are, so why would we cast these tribesman as some strange anomaly to all of human history?  

20 hours ago, texashorne said:

Some of you guys are making this tribe out to be some sort of peaceful happy group of people that sit around a campfire and live in some tropical island harmony, fishing and making seashell necklaces. Do some research on the murder, rape, incest and pedophilia that they commit on a daily basis and then form an opinion. This isn't Disney's Moana. Their "Moana" probably got pregnant with her granddad's kid when she was 11. 

all that murdering going on it seems like they would be extinct in a month.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, texashorne said:

Do some research on the murder, rape, incest and pedophilia that they commit on a daily basis and then form an opinion. This isn't Disney's Moana. Their "Moana" probably got pregnant with her granddad's kid when she was 11. 

well, I just went from six to midnight. 

On December 6, 2018 at 8:45 PM, texashorne said:

Who lived with them long enough to make such observations?

On 12/7/2018 at 10:45 AM, texashorne said:

I imagine the next missionary will be better prepared as he comes ashore.  In addition to his backpack of bibles, he'll mount an M240 on the front of his canoe and carry an M-4 in a 3-point sling.   

Edited by Rockwell Torrey

45 minutes ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

I imagine the next missionary will be better prepared as he comes ashore.  In addition to his backpack of bibles, he'll mount an M240 on the front of his canoe and carry an M-4 in a 3-point sling.   

Nah, just a full body kevlar suit. Then when the natives shoot him full of arrows, and he doesn't die, they'll think he's a living god (SEE: The Man Who Would Be King).

I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck a football and scissors as gifts was going to accomplish.  I mean, wut?

This guy I think partly lost his marbles... from the Chicago Trib (excerpt):

Brahma Chellaney, a professor at the Center for Policy Research in New Delhi, says Chau violated the country's aboriginal and forest protection laws as well as cultural norms.

"He repeatedly trespassed on this island, and they lost their patience with him," Chellaney said. "There is faith, and there is mental illness. . . . He didn't understand the line between faith and doing something that's absolutely nutty."

Chau's diary, which his family provided to The Washington Post, unfolds like the adventure novels he once read. He arrived in the Andamans on Oct. 16 and paid fishermen to take him by boat at night to the island on Nov. 14, evading the lights of patrols on the way. When the sun broke, Chau drew near the tribe. The women began "looing and chattering," he wrote, and he was faced by men armed with bows and arrows. "My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you," he shouted before retreating.

The second day, he kayaked to the island and tried to offer the tribe small gifts - fish, scissors, cord and safety pins. A man in white with a crown, possibly made of flowers, shouted at him. He responded by singing "worship songs and hymns," and the tribe fell silent. A juvenile fired an arrow at him, piercing his waterproof Bible. Chau fled on foot through the mangroves.

"Lord, is this island Satan's last stronghold where none have heard or even had the chance to hear your name?" he wrote.

By the third day, he became convinced he was going to die.

"Watching the sunset and it's beautiful - crying a bit . . . wondering if it will be the last sunset I see," he wrote. He asked the fishermen to drop him on the beach. They returned the next day and saw the tribesmen dragging Chau's body.

Those fishermen have been arrested, as has a friend of Chau's who helped organize the boat trip. Police do not yet have a strategy to retrieve his body or confront the islanders, Pathak said.

Chau's friends from the islands are still grieving and mystified by the whole episode.

"He lost his mind, definitely," Snoeij said. "But ask any adventurer. You have to lose your mind a little bit, otherwise you don't do it."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-missionary-killed-tribe-20181128-story.html

In my phd studies, I did a lot of anthro-ethno studies.  There is a 101 term used, that most of us know... it's called "Going native."  It's when you, even if totally accepted into a society and all their institutions and customs, lose your own identity and actually believe you're more one of them than your natural self.  This is what happened to this guy.  He violated more laws in doing this than you can count on two hands, using trickery, deception, and selfishness to get his way, and yet convinced himself that he was doing this 'for Jesus" as a justification to go crackers.    And bringing scissors, safety pins, a football, and chords?  I mean that's just bizarro.  What the fuck were they going to be for?  Anyway, this guy was crackas.

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck a football and scissors as gifts was going to accomplish.  I mean, wut?

This guy I think partly lost his marbles... from the Chicago Trib (excerpt):

In my phd studies, I did a lot of anthro-ethno studies.  There is a 101 term used, that most of us know... it's called "Going native."  It's when you, even if totally accepted into a society and all their institutions and customs, lose your own identity and actually believe you're more one of them than your natural self.  This is what happened to this guy.  He violated more laws in doing this than you can count on two hands, using trickery, deception, and selfishness to get his way, and yet convinced himself that he was doing this 'for Jesus" as a justification to go crackers.    And bringing scissors, safety pins, a football, and chords?  I mean that's just bizarro.  What the fuck were they going to be for?  Anyway, this guy was crackas.

Hey some of those guys have some QB abilities with all that spear throwing experience I bet.  The next Samoan like college football pipeline..........

On 12/6/2018 at 11:03 PM, Biff Tannen said:

That has to be one of the craziest stories though right?  Rando shows up out of nowhere with all sorts of info about local towing companies being illegal and how we can all take them down, legally, as far as I can tell, and then ends up being a pederast AND a belligerent rock thrower who endangers the local populace and gets caught within a few months?  That has to be a record in the weirdo guiness book, no?

I never bought into that guy's shit. Something just seemed off about him to me.

If they are raping and murdering and pedaphiliaing and incesting all over the island then send in some kind of authority.  What does that have to do with anything  related to the story and why does it give that kid free pass to go fuck with them?

If you’re that concerned about what the tribe is doing, and there’s nothing wrong with you being concerned about that, then maybe there are better ways to approach it. As in actual authorities who can bring law and order. Not some stupid kid that wants to spread his fairy tale  about a magic man in the sky  who spies on everyone in the world at the same time and has a master plan to judge us all  

You can believe that the island is full of terrible savages and still believe that this guy got what was coming to him at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

If they are raping and murdering and pedaphiliaing and incesting all over the island then send in some kind of authority.  What does that have to do with anything  related to the story and why does it give that kid free pass to go fuck with them?

If you’re that concerned about what the tribe is doing, and there’s nothing wrong with you being concerned about that, then maybe there are better ways to approach it. As in actual authorities who can bring law and order. Not some stupid kid that wants to spread his fairy tale  about a magic man in the sky  who spies on everyone in the world at the same time and has a master plan to judge us all  

You can believe that the island is full of terrible savages and still believe that this guy got what was coming to him at the same time. 

Who are they murdering besides him?  And he was tresspassing on their property. Even in Texas, that killing wouldn't actually be murder. 

As for incest and underage fucking, there is little doubt that they do both. Their population isn't big enough to avoid incest. There DNA is probably all damn near identical since their population has likely never been above a few hundred and they have been isolated for 30,000 years. Everyone would be your sibling even when they weren't.

Life is shorter for them too, so puberty probably equals adulthood for them, just like it did for the rest of the world for most of humanity's existence. Its wrong from the context of our society, but not necessarily wrong for theirs. I doubt they are fucking 3 year olds though. They do actually have a society.  Just like anywhere, society members who threaten society are removed from that society. That shit occurs when people are able to operate outside of a society like the serial killer living in his mom's basement. Its much more difficult to operate outside of society in a society as small as the Sentinalese. 

• Like 3

what a thin superficial view. your depictions of John are a caricature.  he wasn't going in preaching.  how could he? he didn't know their language. he was going there to live with them, to become one of them. he wanted to learn the language, culture etc. his desire that they would one day experience salvation was no doubt what drove him to this, but he was there for the entire process.  

As previously mentioned, is it OK for me to move into your house, learn your customs and convert you to the true path of enlightenment via the Mahayana Buddhism, cause the lies you have been told about one of our Bhodistava’s was manipulated into creating a false religion through the perversion of his testimony. You have LHN right?
  • Like 2