The Death of Stalin

Bozo_Casanova

Just saw it Saturday. It's like a Soviet version of Veep, meaning a lot of people die.  

Jeffrey Tambor, Steve Buscemi, Jason Issacs, Rubert Friend, Michael Palin and Simon Beale as Malenkov, Krushchev, Zhukov, Vasily Stalin, Molotov and Beria, struggling for power immediately following Stalin's death. 

currently 96% on RT

Y'all see that.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to finally see this movie when I have some time on business travel.

Random tidbit of information.  First U.S. Citizen to learn of the death of Stalin over legitimate means?  

Johnny Cash.  

I don't know the specifics.  Just that he was listening to some state radio in Eastern Europe during his time in the Air Force.  

I believe Carnac/Karnak held the envelope to his head and said, "Now Deader than the 20 million Russians he killed."

Then he opened it up and it read, "Joseph Stalin."  

There seems to be a trend of British TV comedy writers who are creating really smart drama in or around their comedy.

Auanucci - Veep/Thick of It to Death of Stalin

Charlie Brooker - Yearly Wrap to Black Mirror

Jesse Armstrong - Peep Show to Succession

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this thread because I landed on this yesterday while bored on a Saturday afternoon. I didn’t know of this movie, wasn’t paying a lot of attention to what I was clicking on and thought I was clicking on a history doc for background noise. Funny as hell. I love this period of history and laughed the entire time. Isaacs, Buscemi, and Tambor were hilarious. Beria was a disgusting monster of a human being and I laughed at almost everything he said. 

This is available on Netflix. Watch if you can. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve forgotten most of my Soviet history other than just the highest of high points, and I’d be kind of surprised if my wife knew the name Stalin. Will we still enjoy it?  

You don't really need to know the names.  A bunch of toadies jockeying for favor and to succeed him is all you need to understand.

7 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I watched this based on seeing people praise it here.

I was....

Underwhelmed.    I get the politicking and backstabbing to succeed Stalin.  But it just fell flat.

Wow  really?

Just a question here......do you like Cohen brothers movies?

I know this is not from them but just curious.

11 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I watched this based on seeing people praise it here.

I was....

Underwhelmed.    I get the politicking and backstabbing to succeed Stalin.  But it just fell flat.

Curious to what your reaction was to Iannucci's other film "In the Loop"   In the Loop was an instant comedy classic.   

Cohen Brothers movies are hit and miss for me.  I have not seen the other movie either.
I didnt hate it.  I was just expecting more.

Coen — Sorry. Seeing it twice made me respond.

I love the Coen Brothers though I must admit I haven’t seen several of the newer ones — Hail Cesar and the one with Poe Dameron.

I loved it. Buscemi was greatness. 

He’s great, as is Jason Isaacs, who almost steals the movie.