Mike Gundy solves college football's fake injury problems but not coronavirus or BLM

LTtxfan

Requiring an injured player to sit out the entire possession is too drastic. Most injuries are legit and we can’t have referees trying to determine legitimacy on the spot. You also can’t encourage kids to stay on the field if they are legitimately hurt. I would propose sitting out until the next first down or for a set number of plays, maybe 2 or 3. That would dissuade intentional injuries in key situations and could also allow better evaluation to be sure a kid can safely return (it could be explained as a way to ensure players aren’t rushed back into the field where an injury might be exacerbated). The only way around it would be to have your less successful players fake the injury but you would think in key situations they would want their best players on the field and would prefer to not put in a backup just to fake an injury.

6 hours ago, hpslugga said:

And if you were to count them all on one hand, you’d have superfluous fingers. That’s the point: it’s a very minor amount of “changes” and you guys pitch a shitfit every time it happens and it’s embarrassing to watch.

And you completely missed the point of what I said. I posted that in a broader historical perspective. Over the years, offenses kept getting the short end of the stick even when they were introduced some courtesy. 

“Ok, you can throw the ball but it’s a turnover if it’s incomplete.”

“Ok you can throw the ball, just not to everyone.” 

Those changes are far more restrictive to what an offense should be able to do vs.whatever changes that you feel are restrictive to a defense.

What has never changed is defensive players, coaches, and fans who prefer defensive-oriented games is always find something to bitch about. 

“The pass isn’t real football”

”Chuck and Duck”

”The no-huddle isn’t fair”

and my favorite 

“let’s make a rule that prohibits the offense from speeding up the game.”

Defense isn’t being “legislated out of the game.” The fact is that offenses have evolved and defenses haven’t kept up.

The rule is that the offense can snap the ball whenever they want if they don’t sub where as they have to wait until the substituting defender gets in his position stance if said substitution is in response to an offensive sub. There is no rule in football that says a defense cannot sub unless the offense does. Absolutely none whatsoever.

It does consist of more than that. Merely operating at a frantic pace doesn’t make an offense good. Just look at some of the rankings and you’ll see some pretty fast-paced ones at the bottom of the list. It’s true that the better ones are too, but that’s not the only aspect that makes them good/elite. That also has to do with talent, execution, coaching/scheme, etc.

I'm not a fan of the shift towards defensive line having to be set, it's very inconsistently called and it's usually bullshit when it is.  

The offense controls the snap and has to get set, then can't move until the snap.  The defense should be allowed to move at will as long as they aren't in the neutral zone at the snap.  Imitating a snap count to draw someone offsides is fine as a penalty, but DL moving before the snap absolutely should not be a penalty.  

I have seen several calls where the defender moves and is called.  Saw a play this year where the 4DL for WSU all shifted right 1 slot at the same time and that was a penalty.  I've seen us called because one of our DEs moved before the snap.  But then there's the case where someone enters the neutral zone without contact and gets back, and they initially flagged it but picked it up because of no contact.  Last game I believe. 

Running these hurry up/fast paced offenses sucks. It really takes the strategy out of the game and it's just an endurance contest.

I do not like OU

It’s strategy just like any other. If it works it works. What bothers me is that I rarely get a sense that super fast snap is why our good plays work, but I’ve seen a bunch of times where we fast snap and the offense is just as confused as the defense and the play fails. I’ve also seen where the defense is not fully set but it seems to work in their favor where our play fails spectacularly. Maybe I’m just jaded though.

• 1 year later...

That's why I don't read anything the CDC writes: because it's garbage.  And the head of the CDC that let it come out is garbage. 

Are you kidding me? Where are we at in society today? Come after me, Coronavirus! I'm a man! I'm 40!

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hmmmm

Ah yes, One America News Network - the "objective" and "less drama" choice that *checks notes* just got kicked out of the White House for constantly ignoring social distancing rules (among many other more Cloak Room-y things).

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I hate when people tell players to "just shut up and play." So all I'll say here is, goddammit Mike. God fucking dammit.

Stick to sports, Mike. You’re not a public health expert

57 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Pete Thamel de-mulleting column

aka why he's never leaving OK State

Fuck Pete Thamel, that lying piece of shit. He and his cock holster thayer evans were the lying pieces of shit behind the weak ass nonsense "dirty game" si piece. He must have been infected with the OSU hate hardon while pillow biting with lil' thayer. Fuck him, seriously, forever and always.

I've said my piece on Gundy already, I think you know where I stand on that, but I don't give a single fuck what this over the top diarrhea mouth piece of human garbage has to say about fucking anything. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You gotta look at this from the perspective of an Okie. Fact is, more Oklahomans will die this year in their trailers from a meth related reason, than will die from COVID-19. And they sure as hell don’t shut down football for that shit, do they? Mike is preachin’ to his choir on this one!

“That’s my personal opinion,” he said. “Everyone has a right to an opinion. My opinion is let’s get some of the positive things out so we can continue to fight this.”

This is the problem with our country right now. 

Gundy didn't express opinions. He gave incorrect information. He is at war with facts, evidence and science. 

Unfortunately, when people don't value evidence, there is no evidence you can present to them to convince them to value evidence.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2018 at 10:58 AM, 'stache said:

Requiring an injured player to sit out the entire possession is too drastic. Most injuries are legit 

wrong.

If the injury is bad enough to stop play, then the player should be out until they are safe.

You don't stop play for an ouchy.  You stop play because the player is too fucked up to play.  That's the whole point against the practice itself.

Err on the side of caution and weed out the bullshit.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 3

On 11/22/2018 at 12:13 PM, Hellraiser97 said:

Running these hurry up/fast paced offenses sucks. It really takes the strategy out of the game and it's just an endurance contest.

I do not like OU

It takes the advantage from deeper teams.

I like it.  Always have.  Be in better fucking shape.

Mismatches are a great part of sports.  IDGAF if Saban or anyone else can't get the personnel package on the field they want for every play.  or...

be a fucking man about it and call a timeout.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

wrong.

If the injury is bad enough to stop play, then the player should be out until they are safe.

You don't stop play for an ouchy.  You stop play because the player is too fucked up to play.  That's the whole point against the practice itself.

Err on the side of caution and weed out the bullshit.

I’m coming around to this idea. My worry then would be fake injuries closer to the end zone since the drive is close to ending one way or another, and the fake injuries usually aren’t the star players. This new idea of paying more attention to it seems like coaches will just spend more time teaching the designated injurees to be better actors.

11 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Nah....you are all wrong....he was told..."Mike....if we don't play this fall....you don't get paid....so, you better come up with something."

I will say I fully believe it’s about the players in his mind and the economy in general for working people. He’s just relying on cr sources that are underplaying the seriousness of COVID-19. And I’m almost certain he hasn’t even thought about why even the president has stopped calling it “the Chinese virus,” that’s just what his preferred media is still calling it.

This strikes me as the opposite side of the coin of why I like him so much. He is really open in his press conferences, much more than most coaches, and I appreciate his off the cuff attitude in that regard. He sometimes delves into cr territory and jokes that he should change the subject or Gavin (communications director, not his son) will get on to him. I’m honestly not sure why he was asked to discuss football for an hour yesterday and how they got so far off topic, but he very obviously didn’t have Gavin nearby. 

I seriously don’t think he had any ill intent. I don’t really care if my school’s coaches are with me in cr topics, but this was just stupid to go so far off the topic of football and either not knowing or not caring that the Big XII has already set a date to try and get back to football June 1. So I’ll just say it again. Goddamnit, Mike. Just, goddamnit.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I will say I fully believe it’s about the players in his mind and the economy in general for working people. He’s just relying on cr sources that are underplaying the seriousness of COVID-19. And I’m almost certain he hasn’t even thought about why even the president has stopped calling it “the Chinese virus,” that’s just what his preferred media is still calling it.

This strikes me as the opposite side of the coin of why I like him so much. He is really open in his press conferences, much more than most coaches, and I appreciate his off the cuff attitude in that regard. He sometimes delves into cr territory and jokes that he should change the subject or Gavin (communications director, not his son) will get on to him. I’m honestly not sure why he was asked to discuss football for an hour yesterday and how they got so far off topic, but he very obviously didn’t have Gavin nearby. 

I seriously don’t think he had any ill intent. I don’t really care if my school’s coaches are with me in cr topics, but this was just stupid to go so far off the topic of football and either not knowing or not caring that the Big XII has already set a date to try and get back to football June 1. So I’ll just say it again. Goddamnit, Mike. Just, goddamnit.

I know this hurts you more because you're a Poke, but lack of ill intent (or more appropriately, ignorance) is no justification for Gundy's behavior. Sometimes it's just best to let the experts (medicine, public health) dictate things of this nature. You bring students back to campus, the risk of the disease spreading goes up dramatically. It's as simple as that. And the fact that these athletes are still not getting paid makes it even a worse look for Gundy. If you force them to practice and play, they should be getting hazard pay. And the argument that the kids are young and healthy is by far the dumbest justification for his points. Remember when strong healthy NFL players were getting Staph infections in their own team gyms? I member. And athletes, despite being in optimal physical health, still get viral respiratory illnesses like influenza. Don't believe me, just check any old team injury report. For a condition like COVID-19 which has higher infectivity than influenza, have to be all the more careful and judicious. Come on Gundy, has the entire nation gone crazy shutting down its universities?

Hope the administration pulls Gundy aside and uses this as a learning opportunity. Gundy needs to be reminded that he is a role model and leader of the community, whether he likes it or not, and what he says matters. There are ignorant people all over the country that will hang on to every word a public figure says. Don't believe me? Just take a look at Pedo State - they still are at eating up the late Paterno's denial hook, line, and sinker.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I know this hurts you more because you're a Poke, but lack of ill intent (or more appropriately, ignorance) is no justification for Gundy's behavior. Sometimes it's just best to let the experts (medicine, public health) dictate things of this nature. You bring students back to campus, the risk of the disease spreading goes up dramatically. It's as simple as that. And the fact that these athletes are still not getting paid makes it even a worse look for Gundy. If you force them to practice and play, they should be getting hazard pay. And the argument that the kids are young and healthy is by far the dumbest justification for his points. Remember when strong healthy NFL players were getting Staph infections in their own team gyms? I member. And athletes, despite being in optimal physical health, still get viral respiratory illnesses like influenza. Don't believe me, just check any old team injury report. For a condition like COVID-19 which has higher infectivity than influenza, have to be all the more careful and judicious. Come on Gundy, has the entire nation gone crazy shutting down its universities?

Hope the administration pulls Gundy aside and uses this as a learning opportunity. Gundy needs to be reminded that he is a role model and leader of the community, whether he likes it or not, and what he says matters. There are ignorant people all over the country that will hang on to every word a public figure says. Don't believe me? Just take a look at Pedo State - they still are at eating up the late Paterno's denial hook, line, and sinker.

Oh, I agree entirely. Hence "Goddamnit Coach." The university addressed it yesterday afternoon, for what it's worth. I'm sure he was told the university was going to put this out because his comments are making its way around the internet, but I doubt he was "dressed down" or anything. His sons will probably be more influential in that regard. "Damnit Dad, why the hell is wrong with you!  Stick to football and the funny mullet stuff!"

image.thumb.png.ba5dd11ee07b4dda9c4fdd8427d0dd98.png

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

KiDs ArE yOuNg AnD hEaLtHy...

Donovan Mitchell is 2 years older than most college seniors and got it. 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

KiDs ArE yOuNg AnD hEaLtHy...

Donovan Mitchell is 2 years older than most college seniors and got it. 

That's actually a point in favor of Gundy's idiotic comments.  He recovered and I don't believe he was ever in danger of dying.   

• 1 month later...