Mike Gundy solves college football's fake injury problems but not coronavirus or BLM

LTtxfan

30 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

So now it’s not just trying to listen to recruits’ music on an iPod or honky dance in the locker room, but now you have to promote the politics of 17-22 year old athletes or they will get you fired or blackball you in recruiting?

No, you don't have to promote it.  You simply have to show that you've given them even the slightest bit of consideration and tried to understand their concerns, and he clearly didn't even do that.  

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Some PR statements no one will see; pay Van Jones or someone like that to come speak to the team; do community service they would have done anyway; maybe run out of the tunnel with a "Black Lives Matter" flag. It's over Chuba, good luck in the NFL, we shouldn't hate on you for not being a savior as it seemed you might be for a couple hours today.

Damn. I always figured when Gundy died the first reference on ESPN would be his "I'm a man...I'm forty!" rant. But the OAN fellatio and horribly cobbled together tweet ("wboy culture" wall?) is moving up the charts. 

Now I know why he didn't take the Tennessee job years ago. He fleeced OSU for more money.

I will give Gundy the benefit of the doubt. Maybe some clever pr guy at OAN sent him a shirt last time he brought them up, and maybe he wasn't trying to make any statement. I find it unlikely, but it's possible. 

But if he did wear it intentionally, how idiotic is it to be so into a cable news network that you feel motivated to wear a t-shirt to show how kickass you think their news coverage is. 

I will give Gundy the benefit of the doubt. Maybe some clever pr guy at OAN sent him a shirt last time he brought them up, and maybe he wasn't trying to make any statement. I find it unlikely, but it's possible. 
But if he did wear it intentionally, how idiotic is it to be so into a cable news network that you feel motivated to wear a t-shirt to show how kickass you think their news coverage is. 

He was quoting/referencing OAN at the beginning of all of this. You give him waaaaaaay too much benefit.
  • Like 2

I know it's unlikely, but would be nice if national media press Gundy about OAN this season. Mike Leach gets asked about pirates, Ogeron gets asked about gas station food, why not have Gundy expound in great detail why he's such a fan of OAN? And if "they don't bring all the drama" is the answer, there needs to be some follow ups to that

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

He was quoting/referencing OAN at the beginning of all of this. You give him waaaaaaay too much benefit.

I think it was clear where I was going. Heading off the "HOW DO YOU KNOW HE REALLY CARES ABOUT OAN" nonsense posters at the pass. 

15 minutes ago, TornACL said:

He wore it to go fishing. I dunno about you, but I usually wear something I don’t mind getting dirty when I decide to toss a line. It would probably be perhaps a step above something I do yard work in. Maybe. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

He wore it to go fishing. I dunno about you, but I usually wear something I don’t mind getting dirty when I decide to toss a line. It would probably be perhaps a step above something I do yard work in. Maybe. 

He's a high profile figure in his community and at least known in circles nationwide. He coaches 100+ Gen Z college students who have feelings about the issues. He makes millions. It doesn't matter how dirty he gets fishing, he should stick with team gear 24/7.

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

He's a high profile figure in his community and at least known in circles nationwide. He coaches 100+ Gen Z college students who have feelings about the issues. He makes millions. It doesn't matter how dirty he gets fishing, he should stick with team gear 24/7.

Do you think he wanted to be seen? I'd be trying to go incognito as well, don't need local rubes trying to talk about the triple-belly option while I'm trying to snag some crappie.

1 minute ago, Sandman said:

Do you think he wanted to be seen? I'd be trying to go incognito as well, don't need local rubes trying to talk about the triple-belly option while I'm trying to snag some crappie.

He's Mike Gundy, he was in Oklahoma, doesn't matter if he wanted to be seen, he was going to be noticed.

1 minute ago, Sandman said:

Probably not, but.....he's Mike Gundy.  He's probably asked every day for a selfie with someone (prob multiple times a day), whether or not he wants to comply.  

How do we know that he wore an OAN tshirt?

They posted a picture on the web. He wasn't going incognito. He was bragging on fishing.

The thought that the promo shirt he got for paying to get his brand of news was something offensive to some people was not in his mind. He's not that self aware. 

I don't know if it's over yet. Something like this is corrosive.

Yes, God help a hypothetical football coach who, as a high profile individual, decides to make an overt political statement that he knows will piss off the majority of his roster, the players he is recruting, and the student body of the school he coaches at, as well as the majority of alumni for any school outside SECSECSEC country.
The first amendment establishes protection of the freedom of speech from restriction by the state. It means fuck all when it comes to blowback from your fellow citizens. Freedom of speech is not freedom from reaction, freedom, or consequences. So in the same way NFL fans were within their rights to burn jerseys and curse Kaepernick's name, and teams were even within their rights to not sign him due to his actions, this hypothetical football coach would be very much inviting whatever criticism came his way after making a conscious decision to make a political statement.
Take your victim complex back to texags.

It’s just so hard to be a white man today!

It's been hilarious watching some of y'all, who typically hate Gundy/love making fun of OSU & their Mullet Mikey Marauder, spin your way through this.  

I can get you a shortcut if you need it.  OSU, Gundy, and OAN all represent the absolute worst of America.  We'll be better off when they are all gone from this place. 

17 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

How do we know that he wore an OAN tshirt?

They posted a picture on the web. He wasn't going incognito. He was bragging on fishing.

The thought that the promo shirt he got for paying to get his brand of news was something offensive to some people was not in his mind. He's not that self aware. 

I don't know if it's over yet. Something like this is corrosive.

He wasn’t bragging on anything. The fishing service posted his picture and didn’t tag or identify him. They pulled the picture after the mayhem started. Even money the fishing service didn’t know what the shirt was about. I thought it was a radio station when I first saw the news break. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's been hilarious watching some of y'all, who typically hate Gundy/love making fun of OSU & their Mullet Mikey Marauder, spin your way through this.  

I can get you a shortcut if you need it.  OSU, Gundy, and OAN all represent the absolute worst of America.  We'll be better off when they are all gone from this place. 

Unless OU has already been canceled I take issue with its omission from your list of the worst of America.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s not news. For example they broadcast garbage stats attempting to justify a premise that police violence against black people isn’t that bad. I can see why some black players would think his support for that kind of crap is offensive 

Its a whole lot closer to news than the Clown News Network or MSN.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Eggo said:

That’s BS. And having interacted with several very well known and successful coaches in their off time I can tell you that your idea isn’t remotely adhered to. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

That’s BS. And having interacted with several very well known and successful coaches in their off time I can tell you that your idea isn’t remotely adhered to. 

He doesn't need to stick to team gear only, but he should probably avoid overtly political gear, during a time of high societal tension, in an election year, if he does not want to catch the shitstorm it will inevitably bring. I don't think that's unreasonable.

6 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

When someone says, "Keep politics out of sports." what they mean is "Keep politics I disagree with out of sports."

I don't recall Gundy wearing that shirt on the sideline or insisting that his players watch OAN if they want to play.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

He doesn't need to stick to team gear only, but he should probably avoid overtly political gear, during a time of high societal tension, in an election year, if he does not want to catch the shitstorm it will inevitably bring. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Or, people can get a life and respect his personal free time.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1