Mike Gundy solves college football's fake injury problems but not coronavirus or BLM

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

So radio stations east of the Mississippi have call letters that always start with W

Radio stations west of the Mississippi have call letters that always start with K

And radio stations in your head have call letters that always start with O

Gundy owned up to it.  I think the story is over.  But stuff like this is just beginning nationwide though.  People are gonna have to start owning the little flags they plant to let others know how bold they are.  

Well heck, guess I better not post any pics of my hat...

87C75405-D54E-43E8-97B3-558E221BC134.jpeg

• Haha 1

Considering you helped draw the original U.S. Borders, I am perfectly fine with you sporting that cap, good sir.  You remain an American Patriot in the best sense of the term. 

Can we get a thread title change on this one, @immamac?

"Mike Gundy solves college football's fake injury problems but not coronavirus or BLM" 

Would also accept "Mike Gundy is a mullet-headed moron: all encompassing thread" 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

This isn't true.

I'm not a CNN fan, but they spend actual money to send reporters all over the country and all over the world. They have editorials (written and filmed) that you disagree with or find biased, but comparing OAN to CNN that directly is just ignorant.

It absolutely is true. Turn it on right now and count how many seconds until they say something directly or indirectly critical of Trump. I doubt you get to 60 seconds. No tornado, no floods, no fires, just all Trump all the time. As if nothing else ever happens. That is not news in any form. It is a three year onslaught of negative propaganda directed by Jeff Zuckerberg. As he pointed out, the only real difference from OAN is CNN is given more credibility, which just makes what they are doing all the more irresponsible.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 6

2 minutes ago, Mole said:

If you must “watch” news, watch the PBS News Hour and spend the rest of your time being productive. If you’re willing to read, AP and Reuters shoot pretty straight. BBC is good too, if you find that kind of thing appealing.

Fox is good for daytime car chases; CNN is good for indignation; MSNBC is good for indignation and exercising your thesaurus skills; OAN is good as a proxy for a MAGA hat; Infowars is a good source of supplements.

PBS Newshour is the best news show going. If I'm going to sit down and watch the news it's them 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

It absolutely is true. Turn it on right now and count how many seconds until they say something directly or indirectly critical of Trump. I doubt you get to 60 seconds. No tornado, no floods, no fires, just all Trump all the time. As if nothing else ever happens. That is not news in any form. It is a three year onslaught of negative propaganda directed by Jeff Zuckerberg. As he pointed out, the only real difference from OAN is CNN is given more credibility, which just makes what they are doing all the more irresponsible.

Price is right losing horn. Thanks for signing up at 3am to post your first post about CNN. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

It absolutely is true. Turn it on right now and count how many seconds until they say something directly or indirectly critical of Trump. I doubt you get to 60 seconds. No tornado, no floods, no fires, just all Trump all the time.

YEAH MAN, THEY MAKE IT SEEM LIKE HE IS CONSTANTLY FUCKING SHIT UP AND A TOTAL FUCKING CHUD BABY OR SOMETHING!!!#q#!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Price is right losing horn. Thanks for signing up at 3am to post your first post about CNN. 

Being a long time member of this board must be one of your most significant achievements in life. Congratulations. If you are saying the topic we are all discussing is trivial nonsense, I can't argue that point, I think i'll go do something else

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Being a long time member of this board must be one of your most significant achievements in life. Congratulations. If you are saying the topic we are all discussing is trivial nonsense, I can't argue that point, I think i'll go do something else

Just put him on ignore.  Best path moving forward.  I put a lot of these clowns on ignore.  It’s much better reading the boards that way.

20 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

PBS Newshour is the best news show going. If I'm going to sit down and watch the news it's them 

Judy is a saint. It’s always jarring going from them or BBC’s news programs to CNN or Fox News as it’s a night and day difference in terms of how they present the news or even opposing arguments. 

Edited by GabrielsHorn
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

The only difference?  I don't watch either channel, but in the last few days I've seen concrete evidence that OAN is pushing a dangerous, divisive agenda.  Saying BLM is a farce and a terrorist group.  Their "theory" about that the old man is Buffalo is  pretty awful.  I keep hearing CNN is the devil, but nobody presents any evidence of this other than they criticize Trump.  What is it that they are doing that's so irresponsible?  Telling an anti-Trump audience they are correct doesn't seem dangerous.  Telling an anti-POC audience* that they are right seems worse to me.  

* not everybody, I know.  But if we can agree there are a lot of people in this country who are racist as fuck, we can also agree they are probably watching OAN.  

26 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I really need a 24 hour PBS Newshour network. I miss CNN when they weren't all opinion driven shows and Crossfire-lite. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mole said:

If you must “watch” news, watch the PBS News Hour and spend the rest of your time being productive. If you’re willing to read, AP and Reuters shoot pretty straight. BBC is good too, if you find that kind of thing appealing.

Fox is good for daytime car chases; CNN is good for indignation; MSNBC is good for indignation and exercising your thesaurus skills; OAN is good as a proxy for a MAGA hat; Infowars is a good source of supplements.

I think it's time for "The Surly News Network" to be born and go on the air nationwide.

8 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

This isn't true.

I'm not a CNN fan, but they spend actual money to send reporters all over the country and all over the world. They have editorials (written and filmed) that you disagree with or find biased, but comparing OAN to CNN that directly is just ignorant.

CNN is more incompetent and sensationalist than propagandist. Is there a left lean? Yes, media has historically had a slight liberal bent. They've taken on a crusade against 45, that's for sure. But OAN is so far right of center -- and as alluded to above -- has the production value (and news sense) of a HS RTF program.

EDIT: CNN's editorial stuff can be cringe-inducing.

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

What is it that they are doing that's so irresponsible?  Telling an anti-Trump audience they are correct doesn't seem dangerous.  Telling an anti-POC audience* that they are right seems worse to me.  

well there's your answer fishbulb

Edited by SwanderedTalent

42 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I've told people this for years, but tbh I've generally just given up these days.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I really need a 24 hour PBS Newshour network. I miss CNN when they weren't all opinion driven shows and Crossfire-lite. 

I disagree. NYTimes has a good article with John Stewart today that summarizes my feelings. Whenever we get these 24 hour networks, they have to create urgency through crisis and conflict for everything to generate ratings. Sadly, the ratings only increase when everything reported is breaking news as opposed to nuanced discussions or reports that take quite some time to research and report that you find on PBS. 

That being said, I wish their coverage of live events like the primaries, elections, and the protests would be better, but they seem like they actively stick to their values of taking time to digest and report, which I really appreciate and what sets them apart. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That was literally the only problem I had with it and it seems like he called himself out for it. Go talk to him about where you stand and ask him where he stands. This going to social media shit is weak IMO. You go to social media after you’ve talked to him and he’s told you to fuck off. That’s a last resort. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I think it's time for "The Surly News Network" to be born and go on the air nationwide.

Hosted by Idleman, Bonugli, and Sterling.  It will look just like Fox News, except without human penis Tucker Carlson.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Are you saying that it's a slippery slope?

No, I’m saying it’s a chickenshit way to handle things with people you know and interact with, and doubly so when you consider the possible implications for the man’s career over a fishing shirt. Not a even a shirt with something incendiary on it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

No, I’m saying it’s a chickenshit way to handle things with people you know and interact with, and doubly so when you consider the possible implications for the man’s career over a fishing shirt. Not a even a shirt with something incendiary on it. 

Fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

So you're saying in the Mike Gundy-Chuba Hubbard relationship that concern for the other's future career implications should be basically the top thing on their mind?

It's like rain on your wedding day.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I don't think it was a "fishing shirt", but you're right it did not have anything inherently incendiary on it.  We are just moments away from many logos on shirts being considered un-woke because they use child labor/unfair labor practices abroad.  

Having said that, I envision a OANN line of "fishing shirts" that just scream "I'm an indoorsy type"  

21 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

That depends on his career.  If that career’s main focus is developing young men, 75% of whom are black and he’s wearing that shirt it’s a lot different than the manager of your local laundromat.  If you can’t see that you’re being obtuse on purpose.  You have enough posts here that most know you’re not that stupid.  

edit:  if you’re saying it’s wrong but Chuba should have approached Gundy first, that’s fair.  Not sure if that’s the main issue in all this.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So you're saying in the Mike Gundy-Chuba Hubbard relationship that concern for the other's future career implications should be basically the top thing on their mind?

It's like rain on your wedding day.

Chuba is making Gundy a millionaire by destroying his body in the hopes to have a 3-5 year NFL career as a RB before his body breaks down.   But Chuba should definitely care more about Gundy's future. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

If Chuba believes in the BLM movement, than his head coach wearing a tshirt endorsing a "news" network that says BLM is a farce and a terrorist organization seems incendiary to me. Gundy isn't naive here, he knows what OAN is all about. Its certainly his right to wear the shirt, but its also his responsibility to defend his actions. He didn't even apologize in his video. Just said it was unfortunate. 

I grew up in that shithole state, I know the prevailing attitudes. This will bubble up again later in the fall as the shitshow of the election brings racial issues to the forefront repeatedly. Gundy has  his work cut out for him, because I can promise you that the black athletes on his team don't think BLM is a farce or terrorist organization. This isn't a one off for Gundy. His players will come to realize that. Consider this quote from Gundy: 

https://oklahoman.com/article/5659723/osu-football-read-the-entirety-of-mike-gundys-viral-opening-statement-on-coronavirus-and-football

“I tell you what's funny is, I was flipping through stations. I found one — I don't even know if anybody knows about this — it's called OAN. It's One America News. And it was so refreshing. They just report the news. There's no commentary. There's no opinions on this. There's no left. There's no right. They just reported the news. And I've been watching them the last week, because they're given us the news and given us more information — in my opinion — some of the positives are coming out. So, that was refreshing.

Gundy isnt trying real hard to hide his political opinions. This shit ain't over in Stillwater by a longshot. The topic will come up repeatedly, and Gundy will have to do better than his lame ass first attempt at trying to deflect attention. Or he can just recruit a bunch of white guys from OK that feel the same way.  

Edit - if the local reporters are worth a shit, at the first opportunity they should ask Gundy specifically about OAN's view on BLM and also his claims that OAN only presents the news. He is on record that he believes OAN speaks the truth with no opinions, so how does he balance that with OAN's views on BLM. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Blowing it up on social media is the only reason he would even be heard.

Again, anyone here calling a world-class athlete "chickenshit" is just telling on himself. Chuba has more moral and physical courage in his toes than his critics here have in their entire bodies.

This. People are perfectly happy to hear out differing opinions and criticisms, as long as it doesn't make them uncomfortable, doesn't make them question something that they believe, doesn't make them look bad publicly, or doesn't involve a flag. Other than that, go nuts.

I personally think Chuba should have just screamed his thoughts into a pillow and gone back to studying Gundy's playbook. 

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Like 1

Just now, UncleSonny said:

I personally think Chuba should have just screamed his thoughts into a pillow and gone back to studying Gundy's playbook. 

Look, for four hours he was clearly upset about it.  He wasnt going to play another down at OSU.  After he did a ton of soul searching, had probably a long 10 minute talk with the coach, he made a video with him and hugged it all out.  It not like he got over it in 30 minute or an hour.  It was four long hours of pain.

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

This. People are perfectly happy to hear out differing opinions and criticisms, as long as it doesn't make them uncomfortable, doesn't make them question something that they believe, doesn't make them look bad publicly, or doesn't involve a flag. Other than that, go nuts.

Shut up and run the ball. 

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That depends on his career.  If that career’s main focus is developing young men, 75% of whom are black and he’s wearing that shirt it’s a lot different than the manager of your local laundromat.  If you can’t see that you’re being obtuse on purpose.  You have enough posts here that most know you’re not that stupid.  

edit:  if you’re saying it’s wrong but Chuba should have approached Gundy first, that’s fair.  Not sure if that’s the main issue in all this.  

A little bit of both. Whatever happened between the two of them  was enough for Hubbard to walk back his stance. It was BS to handle it like he did. 

And it’s BS to go after someone over differing political beliefs like that on social media. If Gundy has to be wary of his choice of fishing shirts then Hubbard needs to understand that his platform can destroy a coach’s career. The coach doesn’t have to endorse some movement or else. Does he treat those around him respectfully and appropriately is all that matters  

Gundy has had something like 550 scholarship athletes in his program during his time at OSU. I’m sure some guys do/don’t like him as is the case in any program, but we’d have a pretty good idea if Gundy had racial issues or otherwise before now in a world of constant monitoring of all things social media. 

I don’t care that he’s goofy, dislikes scissors but loves hair gel or has a tendency to talk out of his ass. And I LOL at the people saying he was making a statement. To who? The fish? Think his family doesn’t know what he believes? Get a life. 

38 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

This is bullshit. OAN is a propagandist network that dog whistles constantly, outright lies about BLM and other events, incites anger towards minorities, and spreads fake news that a large percentage of the country then run with to support beliefs that negatively affect people like Chuba.

Gundy doesn’t have to wear a shirt that outright says the 75 year old man brutalized by Buffalo PD was an Antifa plant or “BLM is a farce!” In order for that shirt to be incendiary. 

Your pleas for Gundy’s privacy and ability to wear an OAN shirt without negative consequences are ridiculous. He’s a public figure and the second highest paid state employee in OK. He doesn’t have a right to privacy when going to a public business to fish, and he doesn’t have the right to be free from consequences when he openly supports a news network that actively attacks and undermines most of the players he claims to be mentoring, developing, and coaching. 

45 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That was literally the only problem I had with it and it seems like he called himself out for it. Go talk to him about where you stand and ask him where he stands. This going to social media shit is weak IMO. You go to social media after you’ve talked to him and he’s told you to fuck off. That’s a last resort. 

saying that people who are not in a position of power must go to their superiors quietly and keep everything in house is weak doesn’t make sense. Even after going on social media, he had to record a hostage video walking some of his comments back, do you honeslty think that would’ve gone better for him if he never said anything publically? Not to mention his tweet made other ex-OSU alums openly being called thugs at practice and sent back to the hood if they don’t peform better. Publicity is what forces change from people in positions of power. Posting about these things on social media is necessary. 

14 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I guess we need to stop football then. 

Or, you know, we could just get rid of pointless, hypocritical rules that don’t allow these guys to profit (at least from third parties) off their work and sacrifice.
But you’re probably right, abolishing football is a much better option. I’d way rather lose football all together then let these college athletes commit unspeakable atrocities, like run camps in the offseason or get paid for endorsements. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Does he treat those around him respectfully and appropriately is all that matters  

Again, total bullshit. I don’t care if Gundy’s nice to Chuba’s face. If he’s openly supporting OAN, then there should absolutely be negative repercussions for someone in his position who’s entire livelihood is based on the performance of young black men. Being nice to their face, but then openly supporting dog whistling and systemic racism (which is absolutely what supporting OAN entails) should have consequences. 

If he wants to go into a different profession, then he can be free to wear his OAN t-shirt and support the network all he wants. No one’s making him be a football coach, but if he wants to do that, then there are certain personal freedoms he sacrifices just like other public figures.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

saying that people who are not in a position of power must go to their superiors quietly and keep everything in house is weak doesn’t make sense. Even after going on social media, he had to record a hostage video walking some of his comments back, do you honeslty think that would’ve gone better for him if he never said anything publically? Not to mention his tweet made other ex-OSU alums openly being called thugs at practice and sent back to the hood if they don’t peform better. Publicity is what forces change from people in positions of power. Posting about these things on social media is necessary. 

I’m not saying he MUST do anything. Just be a fucking man. If you disagree with someone who you are in contact with on a regular basis, to the point where you know it’s going to cause conflict, go talk to him man to man. if you even have an ounce of respect for that person (and i imagine he does considering Gundy recruited him) I would think you would go to him and be like “hey, wtf man. That’s pretty offensive to me and I want you to either clear this up or double down so I know where you stand.” If he doubles down and tells you to fuck off, then you resort to social media. That shouldn’t be your first thought. THAT, in my opinion, is weak.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is bullshit. OAN is a propagandist network that dog whistles constantly, outright lies about BLM and other events, incites anger towards minorities, and spreads fake news that a large percentage of the country then run with to support beliefs that negatively affect people like Chuba.

Gundy doesn’t have to wear a shirt that outright says the 75 year old man brutalized by Buffalo PD was an Antifa plant or “BLM is a farce!” In order for that shirt to be incendiary. 

I’m sorry, but there are equally egregious propaganda platforms posing as news outlets for the left. Most of which have been caught flat out altering or editing footage and recordings, reporting partial statements to shape narratives or flat out making up their own shit. And people buy into them hook line and sinker.  They’re entitled to without fear of being publicly and socially ostracized and possibly have their careers out in jeopardy just because someone disagrees with them. Just like Gundy. 

But it’s antithetical to Hubbard’s beliefs you say. So the F what?  Does Gundy treat him appropriately and with respect is the only thing that matters. A whole life of work can be flushed away because you don’t support x activist organization of today?  F that. 

Just now, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m not saying he MUST do anything. Just be a fucking man. If you disagree with someone who you are in contact with on a regular basis, to the point where you know it’s going to cause conflict, if you even have an ounce of respect for that person I would think you would go to him and be like “hey, wtf man. That’s pretty offensive to me and I want you to either clear this up or double down so I know where you stand.” If he doubles down and tells you to fuck off, then you resort to social media. That shouldn’t be your first thought. THAT, in my opinion, is weak.

I understand what you’re saying and would agree with that most of the time, but in a situation where the power dynamic is that unbalanced, I think the only way to even the  leverage is to post about it publicly, and  it also raises awareness to other people in a similar position as Gundy that they need to be careful about their behavior.