Mike Gundy solves college football's fake injury problems but not coronavirus or BLM

LTtxfan

On 6/18/2020 at 8:15 AM, texasstrong12 said:

It's almost like Gundy drew attention to himself by wearing an OAN shirt. Shit from your past pops up when you're an idiot. 

It's  hard to say "it's  just a shirt":

When you have fired a past construction worker for wearing an OU shirt in your house...

• Like 2

On 6/18/2020 at 9:46 AM, Iceman said:

and again, philosophical differences come down to IQ slams.   LOLz.

Convincing argument, Sir.

Ask Drew Brees if it's about grovelling.     Gundy's gonna grovel to keep his job.  It's a requirement.

He doesn’t have to grovel; he can stand his ground and say “Fuck you, I’ll say what I want and wear whatever shirt I want”. If enough people feel the way he does and are willing to speak their minds to OSU brass, then he has nothing to worry about.

Or do you think that most of the BMDs at OSU are black?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

He doesn’t have to grovel; he can stand his ground and say “Fuck you, I’ll say what I want and wear whatever shirt I want”. If enough people feel the way he does and are willing to speak their minds to OSU brass, then he has nothing to worry about.

Or do you think that most of the BMDs at OSU are black?

Frankly, I would love to see Gundy do just as you lay out as an option.  If that happens, then we'll have a very interesting experiment.  It will be entertaining to see Oklahoma State try to supplant UT as the last last all white team to win a national championship.

I'm sure OSU loves the publicity.  Might make recruiting a bit harder.

Surely this is the death knell..

I grew up in OK, went to OSU when Gundy was the quarterback and always liked him as “our guy.” Having suffered wandering through the desert during the near-death penalty years with Pat Jones and after I always figured that dealing with the redneck mullet was just the price we paid for fielding a (usually) decent football team. And compared to what what’s been going on at UT (my second alma mater) in the same time frame, it didn’t seem much worse.

All that said, I’m done. I don’t see how OSU moves forward with Gundy as head coach.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/osu/bill-haisten-oklahoma-state-s-17-million-mystery-mike-gundy-s-employment-status/article_15bbe03f-26c4-563c-951a-313ab1f15b1d.html

Whether you’re a university official or a season-ticket holder, this is exactly what you do not want.

On the ESPN.com college football home page, positioned next to an Oklahoma State logo, is this header: “MIKE GUNDY CONTROVERSY.”

Any summer focus on Oklahoma State football should center on the potential for a special season.

Instead, there is the “MIKE GUNDY CONTROVERSY,” a situation that for 10 days has been a grinding source of stress for those in the OSU administration and football office.

It’s a frequently asked question: In advance of what would be his 30th season with the OSU program, will the 52-year-old Gundy be fired?

I don’t know because, apparently, no one knows.

It hasn’t been determined, I’m told.

Apparently, it’s still a discussion topic at the highest level of the Oklahoma State pyramid.

Apparently, there hasn’t been a defining determination as to whether Gundy violated terms of his contract.

Such a violation, according to his contract, would include “becoming involved in any situation, occurrence, or activity that brings (Gundy) into public disrepute, contempt, scandal, or ridicule, or that reflects unfavorably on the reputation or the high moral or ethical standards of (OSU).”

Spoiler

What I can do today is bundle the information I’ve gotten from sources and share this speculation: There seems to be a 70% likelihood that Gundy will survive and coach a 2020 Cowboy squad that has the pieces required for a run at the Big 12 championship.

That would leave a 30% possibility of a dismissal and, presumably, an interim head coach arrangement for the upcoming season.

A firing would not occur solely on the basis of reckless comments made by Gundy in April and the mistake of him having publicly worn a One America News network shirt. From Chuba Hubbard and several teammates, there was angry reaction to the tweeted Gundy image.

“I stand for what’s right,” Hubbard said during an appearance on ESPN’s “First Take” show, “and I felt what (Gundy) did wasn’t right. I feel a lot of people need to be educated, including myself. It’s my job to educate myself first and then to educate people who aren’t educated.”

Gundy also got some ESPN face time, referring to himself as having been a “dumb ass” for wearing a shirt that promoted a network that has been critical of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Gundy-OSU disharmony dates to 2012 and a contentious contract negotiation. A wedge seemed to have been driven between the coach and the administration.

Specifically, Gundy was on one side. Athletic director Mike Holder and donor T. Boone Pickens were on the other.

The three most powerful people in the OSU system were not on the same page or, at times, on speaking terms.

If money were no object, a firing might have happened last week, with Gundy’s T-shirt having been the final straw. Money is a massive object, though. Gundy’s buyout currently amounts to $17 million.

During a good year — with no pandemic impact on finances — a $17 million settlement would be extremely painful for OSU. In 2020, with the certainty of significantly impacted revenue for the athletic department, a $17 million settlement would be impossible.

On Monday, Cowboy basketball coach Mike Boynton performed beautifully during a Zoom conference with media members. The session was scheduled in response to five-star recruit Cade Cunningham’s announcement that he would honor his signed letter of intent and play for the Cowboys in 2020-21.

The positive glow from Boynton’s Zoom was zapped 25 hours later, when Yahoo Sports released a scathing piece on Gundy. Pete Thamel wrote that Gundy is “so distant from his program and consumed by his own ego that he’d lost touch with his team. ... Burns Hargis, who is napping in the twilight of his (OSU presidency), has long been afraid to publicly confront and mentor Gundy in the way Hubbard did.”

“Holder is the former golf coach who got promoted to athletic director on the qualification that he was chummy with (Pickens),” Thamel wrote.

In the Yahoo piece, Gundy got rocked. Hargis and Holder got popped. Hargis and Holder can’t be happy right now.

While sources insist there aren’t race-related problems in the OSU program, there are acknowledgements that Gundy hasn’t developed actual relationships with most of his players.

The $17 million questions: whether the Cowboy football program, especially in recruiting, is so stigmatized that the damage is irreparable; and whether Gundy can avoid another “CONTROVERSY” while keeping promises to make personal and program changes.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Is his new contract incentive laden? Maybe he gets an extra $500k if he avoids embarrassing the school in a calendar year? Excluding on field embarrassment, of course.

So about the same likelihood of Jimbo cashing in his National Championship bonus at any point.

• Like 2

Also read that his buyout went from 75% to 50% of the remaining contract. So by my calculation it went from $19 mil ($5.125 x 5 years x .75) to about $8 mil ($4.125 x 4 years x .50). My guess is he wants a few good season to go out on and get past this mess then hang 'em up. He said at one point in time he didn't want to coach past 60 and this is probably something he is willing to not have to deal with anymore. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29405112/oklahoma-state-coach-mike-gundy-agrees-take-1m-pay-cut-review

A "humble, remorseful" Mike Gundy has agreed to take a $1 million pay cut and amend his contract after a two-week review of the football program, Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder said Friday.

"The changes were offered up by Mike Gundy and I commend them for that. It was his idea to take a million-dollar pay cut," Holder said. "I think it really demonstrates his commitment to being a better coach. He wanted to make a statement that assured all the players that this wasn't just about talk, this is more about action, and that's the first step."

In addition to the pay cut, Holder said the contract length was shortened from five to four years, his buyout was cut from $5 million to $4 million, and his guarantee dropped from 75% to 50%.

"I want to emphasize, every one of those was offered up by Mike Gundy," Holder said.

The review, by Holder and deputy athletic director Chad Weiberg was prompted by criticism of Gundy after Cowboys running back Chuba Hubbard blasted him for wearing a T-shirt from OAN (One America News) in a photo that appeared on social media.

One America News is a far-right news network that is often cited by President Donald Trump and has tried to position itself as a place for a pro-Trump audience that believes other conservative news outlets have become too mainstream in their reporting. It has criticized the Black Lives Matter movement.

Gundy apologized for the "pain and discomfort" he caused his players and others, and he vowed positive changes in his football program.

In addition, Alfred Williams, a former star linebacker at Colorado, told The Oklahoman last month that he wanted an apology from Gundy after renewing an allegation that the Pokes coach called him the N-word in 1989, when Gundy was a quarterback at OSU. Williams told the newspaper that he doesn't want Gundy to be fired but does want to see "some growth."

Holder said he spoke to "20, maybe more" OSU players, but did not talk to Williams.

"That was 31 years ago. That was resolved at that time," Holder said. "I think everyone's moved forward since then. Mike Gundy addressed it, denied it, and moved on. I think the actions of Mike Gundy since he's been our head coach are more important than what happened 31 years ago."

But in talking to current and former OSU players, Holder said a common theme emerged.

"This wasn't about a T-shirt," Holder said. "This was about a lot of things. The missing link has been a more personal relationship with their head coach. They respect him as an excellent game-day coach but they want more coaching on a personal level. This crosses all racial lines. To a man, our players want a better connection to Mike Gundy. They view him as a difference-maker and they want him to help them grow as leaders."

He said Gundy was "humble, remorseful and committed to change," after hearing the feedback.

"As uncomfortable as the last two weeks have been, I believe this experience has changed Mike Gundy and our players will be the beneficiaries," Holder said.

Holder said the players should be commended for raising the issue.

"All the players should be commended for having the courage to speak out," he said. "We need more of that in society, not less. That doesn't mean the players are in control."

The result of the review and the players' input has been positive, in Holder's view. He said he believes Gundy, who has been outspoken and controversial at times, has learned from this experience.

"I think it's just reconfirmed and emphasized in his mind that he needs to be very guarded in what he does publicly. Everywhere he goes he's a very public representative of our university," Holder said. "What he wears, whatever he says, it's his responsibility to represent us in a way that unites rather than divides. Things are going to be a lot less controversial going forward."

According Holder, Oklahoma State has had 14 positive coronavirus tests. He said 12 of those have been football players, with the two others from the baseball team.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

They’re going to go full retard and “Leach” themselves aren’t they? 

Why?   This is from April right after her said that complimentary shit about OAN.  They heard what he said, asked him if he wanted some free stuff, and he took it.  Of course, at the time he had no idea OAN was a network for right wing conspiracy theory nut jobs.  Or so he says.  Either way, it's old news and until he says the next dumbass thing, it's behind us.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Why?   This is from April right after her said that complimentary shit about OAN.  They heard what he said, asked him if he wanted some free stuff, and he took it.  Of course, at the time he had no idea OAN was a network for right wing conspiracy theory nut jobs.  Or so he says.  Either way, it's old news and until he says the next dumbass thing, it's behind us.  

Yeah, no new bombshells here. Just confirming Gundy's stupidity. The coronavirus stuff would have passed but to be that ignorant of BLM and that networks stance is just full retard for Gundy. We're still going to be completely fucked by negative recruiting for the foreseeable future. And we later learned that he has been distant with players. I'm ready for him to retire. Hopefully Dunn has some serious success as OC and can take over, because I like him a lot, and it would be huge if we could hire a homegrown Black HC to get past this shit sometime in the next 2-5 years.

16 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Yeah, well, y'all better watch out for the thought police. They're coming and this time they got a warrant.

However, things just may turn out all right after all (substitute Gundy for Dean):

Sent to first base as a pinch-runner in Game 4 of the 1934 World Series, Dean attempted to break up a double play on a groundball. The second baseman's throw ended up hitting him square in the head, knocking him unconscious. Dean's X-ray at the hospital came back negative -- giving way to a supposed newspaper headline of "X-rays of Dean's head show nothing." That nothing came back to pitch in Game 5 and toss a World Series-winning, complete game shutout in Game 7.

Edited by The Marsellus Wallace

8 minutes ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

Yeah, well, y'all better watch out for the thought police. They're coming and this time they got a warrant.

You can think what you want. But if it makes you worse at your job you probably shouldn't wear a t-shirt about it.

Edited by texifornia

15 minutes ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

I guess you'd prefer that players and recruits be thought policed to "shut up and play."

2 minutes ago, ousux said:
On 6/15/2020 at 12:02 PM, mdmost said:
We identified the OAN viewer. 

I'd never heard of OAN before all this, but fact is CNN and MSNBC are just as laughably biased as Fox News and others of that ilk..

Georgia and Alabama are cheating but so is Texas.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ousux said:
On 6/15/2020 at 2:02 PM, mdmost said:

I'd never heard of OAN before all this, but fact is CNN and MSNBC are just as laughably biased as Fox News and others of that ilk..

Everything has a bias, but claiming that OAN is equivalent to Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC is ridiculous. I strongly loathe all the cable news networks but let's not go crazy here.

5 hours ago, ousux said:
On 6/15/2020 at 2:02 PM, mdmost said:

CNN and MSNBC offer slanted takes on the facts.  They editorialize.

Fox News and OAN offer slanted takes on "facts" that they made up.  They're basically selling: 2 + 2 = 5 and here's why it's the Democrats' fault.  If a person's only source of news is Fox or OAN, that person has no idea what's actually going on in the world.

It isn't even close to the same thing.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

CNN and MSNBC offer slanted takes on the facts.  They editorialize.

Fox News and OAN offer slanted takes on "facts" that they made up.  They're basically selling: 2 + 2 = 5 and here's why it's the Democrats' fault.  If a person's only source of news is Fox or OAN, that person has no idea what's actually going on in the world.

It isn't even close to the same thing.

While I generally agree with this, Fox at least is somewhere in the realm of reality. OAN went full North Korea News Network once they realized they might be able to get some of the Trumps to do shows for them after he's out of office.

• Hook 'Em 1