TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Austin just got a direct to AMS on KLM.  Didn't see that posted.  Sweet

More info:

Austin travelers will soon be able to fly to the Netherlands on a nonstop basis.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines announced it would operate direct service between Amsterdam and the Texas capital starting in May 2020. A news conference at Austin City Hall regarding a new international destination from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport was set to begin at 10 a.m. on Sept. 24.

The KLM Royal Dutch Airlines route will fly three times a week, Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, beginning on May 4, 2020, according to the announcement.

Flights will be on Airbus A330-300 aircraft and will have a capacity of 292 seats.

"We have built up a robust transatlantic network thanks to our joint ventures with Air France and Delta Airlines," KLM CEO and President Pieter Elbers said in a statement, referencing service to Boston and Las Vegas as well.

In 2018, Delta Air Lines flew from Austin to Amsterdam for the South by Southwest festival.

Other European nonstop destinations from Austin-Bergstrom include London Heathrow by British Airways, London Gatwick by Norwegian Airlines and Frankfurt by Lufthansa.

Traffic is surging at Austin-Bergstrom — 9.9 passengers passed through the airport from January to July this year, up 9% from the same period last year. The airport opened a $350 million, nine-gate terminal expansion in February and is pushing a 2040 master plan that would add a second terminal with 32 more gates.

ABJ: https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2019/09/24/austin-lands-another-nonstop-flight-to-europe.html

• 3 weeks later...

United making changes to MIleage Plus program.  Of course, there will be winners and losers.  My take...they're recognizing fliers for spend and frequency over miles.  Generally I think that's a good direction.  Flyers can't control the miles between destination, but they can control what they spend.  It will be interesting to see how this is received.

https://onemileatatime.com/united-airlines-status-changes/

While the spending requirement is changing, there are more things that will qualify towards the requirement as well.

As before, the following will count towards the spending total:

• Base fare plus surcharges
  • Economy Plus seating or subscriptions
  • Preferred seat purchases
  • With the new program, the following will additionally qualify towards your spending:

MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays

• Paid upgrades
  • Flights ticketed and operated by Star Alliance partners
  • How Many PQF & PQP Do You Have To Earn For Status?

Starting in 2020 you can earn MileagePlus elite status either exclusively through PQP (how much you spend), or through a combination of PQF and PQPs(how much you spend and how many flights you take). Again, the distance flown is no longer a factor in any way.

With the new program:

• Premier Silver requires 12 PQF and 4,000 PQP, OR just 5,000 PQP
  • Premier Gold requires 24 PQF and 8,000 PQP, OR just 10,000 PQP
  • Premier Platinum requires 36 PQF and 12,000 PQP, OR just 15,000 PQP
  • Premier 1K requires 54 PQF and 18,000 PQP, OR 24,000 PQP
Edited by gecko

Ya, but the net spend is going from 3k to 4k for the lowest tier status.  To get real status the jump is even higher.  I've been sticking with United but won't hit Platinum this year, so I might need to take a look at Delta again.

With my travel pattern I will be a huge benefactor.  I'm mostly domestic (one or two intls), tend to fly on refundable tickets, and can purchase BC on any flight over 3 hrs.  I've already earned 1K under current and future rules.....hope I hold my GS, but that's the great unknown.  If I lose GS I'll wish I never earned it.  It's glorious.....

On 9/24/2019 at 10:51 AM, creasy said:

More info:

Austin travelers will soon be able to fly to the Netherlands on a nonstop basis.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines announced it would operate direct service between Amsterdam and the Texas capital starting in May 2020. A news conference at Austin City Hall regarding a new international destination from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport was set to begin at 10 a.m. on Sept. 24.

The KLM Royal Dutch Airlines route will fly three times a week, Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, beginning on May 4, 2020, according to the announcement.

Flights will be on Airbus A330-300 aircraft and will have a capacity of 292 seats.

"We have built up a robust transatlantic network thanks to our joint ventures with Air France and Delta Airlines," KLM CEO and President Pieter Elbers said in a statement, referencing service to Boston and Las Vegas as well.

In 2018, Delta Air Lines flew from Austin to Amsterdam for the South by Southwest festival.

Other European nonstop destinations from Austin-Bergstrom include London Heathrow by British Airways, London Gatwick by Norwegian Airlines and Frankfurt by Lufthansa.

Traffic is surging at Austin-Bergstrom — 9.9 passengers passed through the airport from January to July this year, up 9% from the same period last year. The airport opened a $350 million, nine-gate terminal expansion in February and is pushing a 2040 master plan that would add a second terminal with 32 more gates.

ABJ: https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2019/09/24/austin-lands-another-nonstop-flight-to-europe.html

spacer.png

One thing I'm not clear on is what is a PQF?

If I fly to Frankfurt and decide to connect through DC, is the round trip 2 flights, or 4 flights?

I fly to Europe 4-5 times a year and maybe that much domestically, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm a winner, loser, or about the same in the deal.

I usually have no problem hitting Gold, and really that's all I care about maintaining so I get lounge access on the intl flights. Platinum doesn't have any major benefits over gold that I would utilize, and I have no desire to fly enough to reach 1K.

4 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

One thing I'm not clear on is what is a PQF?

If I fly to Frankfurt and decide to connect through DC, is the round trip 2 flights, or 4 flights?

I fly to Europe 4-5 times a year and maybe that much domestically, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm a winner, loser, or about the same in the deal.

I usually have no problem hitting Gold, and really that's all I care about maintaining so I get lounge access on the intl flights. Platinum doesn't have any major benefits over gold that I would utilize, and I have no desire to fly enough to reach 1K.

Looks like PQF is one takeoff and one landing.  So in your example, that's 4 flights.  Most of my flights are coast-coast.  I suppose now there's an incentive to connect instead of going direct.  Only reason I've stuck with United in the past few year anyway is cuz I'm now about 100,000 miles short of making a million.  They aren't changing lifetime status thank god.

Booke Spain for next May.

295000 Aeromexico miles in business class for two from JFK to Mexico City for a long weekend then Mexico City to Madrid.  Amex transferred at 1:1.6 so that part of the trip cost me 184000 MR points. 

Coming back I booked on Iberia from Madrid to JFK in business class for 68000 Avios for two.  Amex transferred at 1:1.4 so that part of the trip cost me 48500 MR.  At 24250 MR points for business class that's a fantastic redemption.

By tranferring to Iberia Avios I avoid having to pay those huge surcharges that British Air charges.

• Like 2

How much do you travel? What types of items are you typically carrying?

My rec changes if you're a once or twice a year family vacation traveler who's mostly carrying the entire family's clothes, vs a weekly business traveler carrying some samples, demo parts, and just a set or 2 of clothes.

If you travel enough to justify it, Briggs and Riley luggage is a splurge, but is very functional and truly lifetime. Don't pay full price.

13 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

How much do you travel? What types of items are you typically carrying?

My rec changes if you're a once or twice a year family vacation traveler who's mostly carrying the entire family's clothes, vs a weekly business traveler carrying some samples, demo parts, and just a set or 2 of clothes.

If you travel enough to justify it, Briggs and Riley luggage is a splurge, but is very functional and truly lifetime. Don't pay full price.

I fit into the 3-4 times a year, solo traveler. I usually just go places for a few days so a carry-on usually does the trick but I'm going out of country for a work conference next week and thinking I'll need something bigger to check. I like the look of hardside luggage but knowing the way airlines handle that shit, I can't see it lasting very long without wheels getting broken off, dents, etc.

9 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

I fit into the 3-4 times a year, solo traveler. I usually just go places for a few days so a carry-on usually does the trick but I'm going out of country for a work conference next week and thinking I'll need something bigger to check. I like the look of hardside luggage but knowing the way airlines handle that shit, I can't see it lasting very long without wheels getting broken off, dents, etc.

Luggagefactory.com. I travel about 40 weeks a year for last 20 years and just get best Travelpro brand available. Manga 2 is it now. Probably only had 4 in that time. Last one I just got tired of color and bought a new one. 

Whatever you do, don't get 4 wheel luggage. Takes up extra storage space and wants to "scoot out" going up or down escalators or any slight incline. Had 1 about 4 weeks and just gave it to wife. Now we look stupid as couple with matching luggage. 

I carry a 40l Eagle Creek backpack for most travel. I travel light and like having my hands free. I use a lot of public transpo so a backpack works better for me. For 2-3 day business trips a hard side roller since I'm going straight to a rental car and then straight into my hotel.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:20 PM, Hmbre97 said:

In the market for some new luggage and I need opinions on hardside vs soft luggage. Personal preferences?

I travel frequently for work and have an ebagback that I love. I do need a new carry-on and will be going hardsided for sure 

Just announced: AUS - CDG 3Xs weekly on Norwegian (starts May 2020). https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/287106/norwegian-adds-paris-cdg-austin-service-from-may-2020/

Norwegian from May 2020 plans to launch new Trans-Atlantic route from Paris CDG, as the airline opened reservation for Paris CDG – Austin route. From 06MAY20, Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner to operate this route 3 times weekly, switching to 2 from 25SEP20.

Stupid question time, I haven't flown overseas in almost 20yrs.  Scouting out airfare for the family for AUS --> DUB, then return LHR --> AUS for next July. I've been watching prices for a little while, but for a general reference, is ~$1500 per person in the reasonable range for Premium Economy (AA/BA)?  I don't have to hit a home run on the airfare, but I'd like at least a solid base hit.

Anyone have experience with the Premium Economy on BA's direct LHR --> AUS flight? 

2 hours ago, Damor said:

Stupid question time, I haven't flown overseas in almost 20yrs.  Scouting out airfare for the family for AUS --> DUB, then return LHR --> AUS for next July. I've been watching prices for a little while, but for a general reference, is ~$1500 per person in the reasonable range for Premium Economy (AA/BA)?  I don't have to hit a home run on the airfare, but I'd like at least a solid base hit.

Anyone have experience with the Premium Economy on BA's direct LHR --> AUS flight? 

I think someone already mentioned on here to avoid LHR, you pay extra for that.  

Yep, I'm looking around at other options, but it may come down to trading money for the most efficient use of time.  I'm also trying to simplify things as much as I can since this will be my boys' first trip overseas -- the less time I spend herding cats through the airport, the less my family will hate me.

5 hours ago, Damor said:

Yep, I'm looking around at other options, but it may come down to trading money for the most efficient use of time.  I'm also trying to simplify things as much as I can since this will be my boys' first trip overseas -- the less time I spend herding cats through the airport, the less my family will hate me.

Look into Aer Lingus if you can manage connecting through Boston. 

On 10/22/2019 at 7:17 AM, Shaddie said:

Luggagefactory.com. I travel about 40 weeks a year for last 20 years and just get best Travelpro brand available. Manga 2 is it now. Probably only had 4 in that time. Last one I just got tired of color and bought a new one. 

Whatever you do, don't get 4 wheel luggage. Takes up extra storage space and wants to "scoot out" going up or down escalators or any slight incline. Had 1 about 4 weeks and just gave it to wife. Now we look stupid as couple with matching luggage. 

This.

I have Travelpro stuff and it's excellent. Two carry-on, suitcase, and backpack (which is fantastic.)

The 4-wheeel is ok, but you do need to use more caution with it. The biggest issue I have is the wheels are smaller and can be a pain on older infrastructure/stairs/cobblestone/etc.

While not as convenient, I prefer the normal roll-aboard.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:46 PM, Js1 said:

I think someone already mentioned on here to avoid LHR, you pay extra for that.  

ONLY on the outbound, in terms of taxes. BUT there is a premium price to fly into LHR just because it's LHR.

If you do your homework, you can fly in/out of somewhere like CDG, and then either grab an internal flight or the train and still come out ahead over LHR. Although there are deals now and then, typically in the low season.

Edited by thunderlounge

9 hours ago, midtown said:

Or AMS.  And since the OP said "boys" a Eurostar ride would be a fun experience for kids.

Exactly. Add a couple days to the beginning and ending of the trip, and enjoy the time.

Hell, I'm 43 and really enjoyed the Eurostar, and other trains as well. The kids would love it. Just remember you can get Eurostar tickets 6 months in advance (where regular trains are usually 90 days or a little less.)

Dammit, assholes, I'm already having to cut shit out of my itinerary,  Quit giving me ideas.

Appreciate the recommendations.  Looked around at other airports, but the best current price seems to be reversing the trip and doing AUS-->LHR then returning DUB-->AUS.  Tickets for 4 in Premium Economy (BA metal) are ~4800 (a big drop from 6200 just for flip-flopping).  For those with more recent experience, is that decent enough for summer travel season to go ahead pull the trigger, or is it worth watching prices longer?

On 10/21/2019 at 8:20 PM, Hmbre97 said:

In the market for some new luggage and I need opinions on hardside vs soft luggage. Personal preferences?

I got a carryon by Away two years ago for Christmas. At first I wasn't too excited - a bag is a bag, after all. But I have to admit I like it a lot. It comes with a rechargeable lithium battery, international adapters, laundry bag, etc. It's been plenty durable and while I didn't buy it I don't think it is terribly expensive. For the money it is a pretty solid bag. I'm sure they do larger luggage as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have one credit card over 10 yrs old. Credit score pretty solid. Looking to take out a mortgage in the next year. 

Any guidance/recommendations on a card to start with? I’m leaning toward the Chase with the smaller annual fee. A domestic trip this coming year is all I’m considering. Maybe Mexico City or Vancouver. 

I’ve heard both ways on getting a new CC near to a mortgage. What says Surly?

8 minutes ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

I have one credit card over 10 yrs old. Credit score pretty solid. Looking to take out a mortgage in the next year. 

Any guidance/recommendations on a card to start with? I’m leaning toward the Chase with the smaller annual fee. A domestic trip this coming year is all I’m considering. Maybe Mexico City or Vancouver. 

I’ve heard both ways on getting a new CC near to a mortgage. What says Surly?

Chase is the way I’d go for first card. I’d also get the freedom or freedom unlimited as well (no fee). 

As for the mortgage. I signed up for a new card three months before I got a mortgage and it was not mentioned. I did put 20% down though and credit score was 800+.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

No. 

You don't do customs. If you're plane is on time, you have plenty of time to transfer. Air Canada will be aware of your situation if you are running behind, they may hold the flight if its close since a group of the people on your flight will be getting on your red eye, if that's what it is.

• Like 1

Last week I just got the email that my American Airlines concierge key status was renewed for next year. They also allowed me to “gift” executive platinum to someone of my choosing. All I need to do is provide their name and AAdvantage number. 

Is there a market for this if I wanted to sell it?  A guy at the bar last night offered me $1,000 which got me thinking.