TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

20 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Last week I just got the email that my American Airlines concierge key status was renewed for next year. They also allowed me to “gift” executive platinum to someone of my choosing. All I need to do is provide their name and AAdvantage number. 

Is there a market for this if I wanted to sell it?  A guy at the bar last night offered me $1,000 which got me thinking. 

Don’t do it. AA has pretty good investigative techniques and cancel a decent amount of accounts based on selling SWU or miles. 

Last week I just got the email that my American Airlines concierge key status was renewed for next year. They also allowed me to “gift” executive platinum to someone of my choosing. All I need to do is provide their name and AAdvantage number. 
Is there a market for this if I wanted to sell it?  A guy at the bar last night offered me $1,000 which got me thinking. 

Top shelf humble brag.

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Someone please explain why Group 2 on American has about 30 people boarding on any given flight. Only Exec platinum and business class are for that group and there is no way a lot of those folks are Exec plat.

Depends on the route.  On most flights, Group 2 has a couple of people and they go straight to 3.  On some routes (looking at you DFW:SMF on a Monday or Friday), it is loaded with EPs and they take up all the overhead space in the front half of the plan.

15 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Uh. It’s bad enough that I have to fly commercial, so don’t hate. 

How about a really nice steak dinner as a TY for the status gift?

I haven't made it to EP in quite a while and Platinum Pro get's you no upgrades.

Edited by ZB'Tejas

16 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

What were you really being offered $1000 for at the bar?  :)

On 12/9/2019 at 8:47 AM, Dbeasy said:

Someone please explain why Group 2 on American has about 30 people boarding on any given flight. Only Exec platinum and business class are for that group and there is no way a lot of those folks are Exec plat.

That's easy. They're aren't really Group 2. They're probably 3, 4, or even 5. Fucking gate lice mother fuckers. Shit would be so much better if the damn kettles would just stay back, and wait for their group. Nope, don't happen. They either end up clogging the line, or trying to go through with a higher group. Sometimes they make it, sometimes they get moved to the side. Depends if a GA is scanning tickets, or letting people scan themselves.

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

That's easy. They're aren't really Group 2. They're probably 3, 4, or even 5. Fucking gate lice mother fuckers. Shit would be so much better if the damn kettles would just stay back, and wait for their group. Nope, don't happen. They either end up clogging the line, or trying to go through with a higher group. Sometimes they make it, sometimes they get moved to the side. Depends if a GA is scanning tickets, or letting people scan themselves.

My observation is that most gate attendants wont do anything, other than Southwest.  Of course, they let anyone that wants to preboard.

I’ve have a Chase sapphire Preferred for the past 48 months and want to upgrade to the Sapphire reserve to get both the greater 3x as well as the sign in points.  Do I downgrade the CSP to the Freedom card then apply for the CSR to get the 50k bonus?  If I understand correctly, if I ask for the upgrade w/o the “downgrade”, I don’t get the 50K signin bonus.  Also, I have 200k credits on the CSP, my understanding is those drop to 1x when I downgrade to the Freedom.  What happens to these credits when I then get the CSR? Also, if I pay the extra 75 to add the wife, is she able to get the same benefits (300 travel credits, lounge access, 100 back for Global entry, etc)?

Edited by Grimas

8 hours ago, Grimas said:

I’ve have a Chase sapphire Preferred for the past 48 months and want to upgrade to the Sapphire reserve to get both the greater 3x as well as the sign in points.  Do I downgrade the CSP to the Freedom card then apply for the CSR to get the 50k bonus?  If I understand correctly, if I ask for the upgrade w/o the “downgrade”, I don’t get the 50K signin bonus.  Also, I have 200k credits on the CSP, my understanding is those drop to 1x when I downgrade to the Freedom.  What happens to these credits when I then get the CSR? Also, if I pay the extra 75 to add the wife, is she able to get the same benefits (300 travel credits, lounge access, 100 back for Global entry, etc)?

You should be fine downgrading the card then applying for the reserve card & bonus. I would downgrade to Freedom Unlimited and use that card for daily spending that doesn't meet the criteria for Reserve. As for your UR reward points, they shouldn't be reduced like that. Once you earn them, you earn them. They'll be put into the new account you downgrade to and you can just swap them over to the Reserve card no problem. If your wife wants the benefits then she'll need to apply for her own card. Adding an authorized user doesn't double your benefits.

On 12/9/2019 at 8:47 AM, Dbeasy said:

If you are flying ORD to DFW there are 100 legitimate Group 2's.

Edited by Rougarou

2 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

When I boarded DFW-MCO a couple weeks ago, I'd say 50% of the plane was boarded in Groups 1-3.  I felt so pedestrian with my measly Group 4 status...

And you should have felt that way... the tiered system works and you should know your place, pedestrian.

5 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

You should be fine downgrading the card then applying for the reserve card & bonus. I would downgrade to Freedom Unlimited and use that card for daily spending that doesn't meet the criteria for Reserve. As for your UR reward points, they shouldn't be reduced like that. Once you earn them, you earn them. They'll be put into the new account you downgrade to and you can just swap them over to the Reserve card no problem. If your wife wants the benefits then she'll need to apply for her own card. Adding an authorized user doesn't double your benefits.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

And you should have felt that way... the tiered system works and you should know your place, pedestrian.

I traveled with my old man who is global service to Sydney recently. We were so special we boarded before the tiered system even began and even before the handicap folk. It is nice to be recognized as being better than everyone else. 

Just now, Telegraph_it said:

I traveled with my old man who is global service to Sydney recently. We were so special we boarded before the tiered system even began and even before the handicap folk. It is nice to be recognized as being better than everyone else. 

See, that’s how you do it. All hail King Telegraph_it Sr.

4 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

who doesn't want to sit on the plane as early as possible when flying to australia?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just got back from Europe and will never book a connection through Chicago again.  We wanted a direct flight out of Denver but couldn't get any rewards flights from here, so we did Chicago instead.  I fucking hate that airport.  Ended up doing the OJ Simpson through the C terminal to make our Connection.  Wouldn't have made it without Global Entry and Pre Check.

Business class on SAS is quite nice, though.  Made that 8 hour flight fly by in both directions.  I've got to get back to Stockholm (and elsewhere in Scandinavia) soon.  You can keep Germany (and the Germans with sticks up their collective asses), but I really enjoyed Sweden.

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Just got back from Europe and will never book a connection through Chicago again.  We wanted a direct flight out of Denver but couldn't get any rewards flights from here, so we did Chicago instead.  I fucking hate that airport.  Ended up doing the OJ Simpson through the C terminal to make our Connection.  Wouldn't have made it without Global Entry and Pre Check.

I prefer LX and OS for EU-US so I'm usually captive to ORD, against lack of real alternatives.  Kinda sucks to have a nice comfortable long haul leg, and then clear immigrations and ride the damn monorail thing before the TSA rigamarole to finish the trip

29 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I prefer LX and OS for EU-US so I'm usually captive to ORD, against lack of real alternatives.  Kinda sucks to have a nice comfortable long haul leg, and then clear immigrations and ride the damn monorail thing before the TSA rigamarole to finish the trip

Monorail is down for repairs, so ORD is even more fun now.  Gotta take the fucking bus from the international terminal to the domestic ones.

We flew SAS and it was fantastic for the long haul, but we had 2 shitty ends on either side of the trip.  DEN-ORD and ARN-MUC.  Munich and Stockholm both have very nice airports, especially Munich.  ORD is such a shithole I can't handle it.

What are y'all's thoughts about getting a good amount of points, but not using them right away?

I've got 300K AMEX MR points, 450K Hilton points, 200K AA points and about 200K Marriott points. I travel 4-10 times a year, both for business and personal (and I have cards that give me extra points on all of those). I was thinking about letting things build up for several more years (possibly until I retire somewhere between 5 and 9 years from now).

Then, I'd use the absolute shit out of them until they were gone.

Or, should I slowly bleed them out every year as I do my personal travel? FWIW, I do at least one trip to the Caribbean/Belize and at least one trip to New Orleans a year...

Up until now, I've spent them here and there, but I'm looking at getting some bigger vacations later

2 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

What are y'all's thoughts about getting a good amount of points, but not using them right away?

I've got 300K AMEX MR points, 450K Hilton points, 200K AA points and about 200K Marriott points. I travel 4-10 times a year, both for business and personal (and I have cards that give me extra points on all of those). I was thinking about letting things build up for several more years (possibly until I retire somewhere between 5 and 9 years from now).

Then, I'd use the absolute shit out of them until they were gone.

Or, should I slowly bleed them out every year as I do my personal travel? FWIW, I do at least one trip to the Caribbean/Belize and at least one trip to New Orleans a year...

Up until now, I've spent them here and there, but I'm looking at getting some bigger vacations later

The Marriott points are worth what, like three nights in Tokyo? I looked it up, it's three nights at the Ritz Carlton, or six at the Westin.

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

ORD is such a shithole I can't handle it.

Try PHL or CLT, there are also others which suck worse.

On 12/16/2019 at 12:55 AM, Grimas said:

On 12/16/2019 at 1:15 AM, Grimas said:

Also, what’s the delay? I’m planning a trip over Christmas so should I wait until the trip is over in January before doing this? I’m not sure the delay in downgrading the CSR and the application and approval of the CSP lag...

There is a bit of a process to this, and you MUST take absolute caution or Chase will fuck you.

1) Make sure the time lines are good. It's not 48 months of having the card, it's 48 months from when your bonus posted. So it could be up to 52 months from card opening. And they will nit pick it to death.

2) Downgrade your CSP to the Freedom, or Freedom Unlimited.

3) Wait 30 days. (This will let all of Chase's internal systems catch up to your change.)

4) Apply for the CSR, cross your fingers, and watch out for your cornhole.

At any point something isn't right in the timing, they will deny you. If you're off on #1, you're fucked and will have to wait a bit to apply again.

If you're too short on #3 and move to #4, it may take some work on the reconsideration line to show them you downgraded that card. You may even want to hold at #3 until you have a statement that says Freedom/Freedom Unlimited on it.

Now for your points... your point balance is your point balance. They don't go back and change multipliers from the card. You'll be fine. Once you get the CSR, just transfer your points from the Freedom(U) and be done.

Now what will happen in the interim is your points go from the "1.25¢/pt" value in the travel portal to 1¢, but once you flip them to your CSR they're worth 1.5¢.

This is a first time encounter for me.  All flights on LH through FRA/MUC subject to reduced or no food/beverages service due to strike of union of caterers for Skychef.

Free snacks provided at certain gates or flyers can apply for reimbursement after the flight.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:10 AM, thunderlounge said:

Try PHL or CLT, there are also others which suck worse.

There is a bit of a process to this, and you MUST take absolute caution or Chase will fuck you.

1) Make sure the time lines are good. It's not 48 months of having the card, it's 48 months from when your bonus posted. So it could be up to 52 months from card opening. And they will nit pick it to death.

2) Downgrade your CSP to the Freedom, or Freedom Unlimited.

3) Wait 30 days. (This will let all of Chase's internal systems catch up to your change.)

4) Apply for the CSR, cross your fingers, and watch out for your cornhole.

At any point something isn't right in the timing, they will deny you. If you're off on #1, you're fucked and will have to wait a bit to apply again.

If you're too short on #3 and move to #4, it may take some work on the reconsideration line to show them you downgraded that card. You may even want to hold at #3 until you have a statement that says Freedom/Freedom Unlimited on it.

Now for your points... your point balance is your point balance. They don't go back and change multipliers from the card. You'll be fine. Once you get the CSR, just transfer your points from the Freedom(U) and be done.

Now what will happen in the interim is your points go from the "1.25¢/pt" value in the travel portal to 1¢, but once you flip them to your CSR they're worth 1.5¢.

Thanks!  I had seen these steps posted somewhere but couldn't find them...  I just checked and my original points posted in my November 2015 bill so I should be good to start the process (after a trip next week so i can get 2X points)

12 hours ago, Grimas said:

Thanks!  I had seen these steps posted somewhere but couldn't find them...  I just checked and my original points posted in my November 2015 bill so I should be good to start the process (after a trip next week so i can get 2X points)

You're welcome. It's obviously a fucking game within a game, and a pain in the ass. Chase is the "worst" for the games, but they obviously have the most desirable products overall too. Just be careful, and take your time through the process. The biggest kicker is not being able to hold another sapphire product when you apply. The saddest part is how long it can take Chase's internal systems to all sync up and know you have a Freedom instead of a Sapphire Preferred. I guess it's effectively a billing cycle or something, but how it can take any longer than a day or two is beyond me.

Although maybe I should be thanking Chase at the moment. A while back they had a bonus for transferring out to BA. Took advantage of that and just scored an open jaw biz award into Lisbon and back from Barcelona for next July. Even better was it was a partial cash payment, so I end up getting credit for the flight too. Less points, a little cash, and full earning. Alright alright alright.

• 2 weeks later...

Which hotel points should I start chasing if starting from scratch? Upcoming trips being NOLA, Cabo, Bahamas and a Pacific NW visit. Pending companion pass will open up a few more trips as well.

Can't decide which route I want to go down to start earning some status.

42 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

Marriott / Starwood just has the sheer number of properties that gives way more optionality for redemption. I can't speak to value but imagine Hilton / Hyatt likely better. 

We use Marriott properties as much as possible, both for my business travel and pleasure, and combine it with a Marriott credit card (or better yet the Ritz card, though I think that is limited issue now).  In addition to the "stay" points, you get 6 points per dollar spent at Marriott properties.  Easy to get elevated status that way, which generates higher point credits on the stay itself.  They also have properties everywhere.  We've been Platinum elite for several years.

I will say their program has been a little "tighter" the past couple of years.  That said, we did points stays at Rancho Mirage RItz and Waikiki Ritz in 2019 year, and have already booked points stays in Florence (Westin) and Venice (JW) for April.  Still have points left.

I was previously all over the Marriott/SPG program and had a couple of the SPG cards, so I'm fairly familiar with how those redemption points got nerfed.

Hyatt would likely be my preferred choice, but their points are a little harder to come by and properties are more limited than the other options.

Guess I really should have asked what the rewards programs looked like between Marriott and Hilton at this point.

The real answer is, "it depends."

It depends on where you're traveling, and what the groups footprint is. I use Hilton primarily, and have IHG as a backup. Between the two there has been very, very few places I couldn't find something from either of those.

With Hilton, get their Amex card. One is 12x at Hilton, and 7x for gas groceries. The other is 14x at hilton, and like 6x? for something. Can't remember, but the 14x has a $450 AF, and Diamond status. I took the 12x and Gold for a $95AF.

IHG also has a card through Chase (and is subject to 5/24, just sayin) with an $89 AF. Plat status with it, as well as a free night cert every year.

Marriott's program was pretty weakened with the Starwood merger (and Starwood really got fucked.) But if Marriott has better coverage where you're going (probably not) then whatever works. The key to it all is finding the most coverage for where you're going, so you get the most points.

Flying Blue is the miles program for Air France and KLM, it codeshares with several other airlines as well.  You can transfer points in from most of the major credit card company rewards programs.  They are having a sale right now flying out of Houston Bush International, 10,750 points each way to select cities in Europe up until late April.  Just booked an open jaw into Dublin and out of Edinburgh for Mrs ZR and I.  43K points and under $200 in taxes and fees.  Don't like the idea of flying coach but with all the miles I'm saving, I'll upgrade the hotels I stay at.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, midtown said:

Chase SWA with 75000 bonus right now. I just grabbed mine.. I've got one more under the 5/24.. Then I'll hit a Barclay

Damn, I applied on the in-flight webpage for the personal card the other day with a 50,000 point offer.  Oh well, at least I got the 80,000 point business card offer to qualify for companion pass.

I keep seeing that Chase Sapphire Preferred is going to increase its annual fee but nit offer much in return. I haven’t had time to do the deep dive and was wondering if anyone here has.

Btw, just booked trip to Colombia for spring break on miles and found a trip to Heathrow this summer for 60k there, 69k back from CDG. All on AA.

34 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I keep seeing that Chase Sapphire Preferred is going to increase its annual fee but nit offer much in return. I haven’t had time to do the deep dive and was wondering if anyone here has.

Btw, just booked trip to Colombia for spring break on miles and found a trip to Heathrow this summer for 60k there, 69k back from CDG. All on AA.

Lyft and DoorDash are the new benefits but only for the first year or two.  Maybe they rotate some other partner in after that.

• The annual fee will increase from $450 to $550.
  • The higher fee will apply to new applicants as of Sunday, Jan. 12, 2020 (so if you want to avoid the increase, apply quickly).
  • The higher fee will apply for renewals as of April 1, 2020.
  • Cardholders will be eligible for one free year of Lyft Pink (valued at $19.99 per month) and 10x points on Lyft rides.
  • Cardholders will receive $60 in annual DoorDash statement credits in 2020.
  • Cardholders will receive $60 in annual DoorDash statement credits in 2021.
  • All new benefits will begin Sunday, Jan. 12, 2020.

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Preferred or Reserve?  I've seen the Reserve changes, but had not heard anything on changes to Preferred?

• Like 1