TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

Have had the CSR since launch and will keep it. To me and my situation it still provides better value than the AmEx Platinum or Citi Prestige.
I'm on the fence.. I got the 100k so even at $550 minus the $300 travel credit I'm only paying 250 a year plus the value of the points I received and used. I'm way ahead. Lyft pink doesn't do much for me since I use my delta amex with lyft for the extra points. And I get a monthly credit on Uber with amex plat. Door dash I could use instead of Uber eats I guess. Priority pass sucks and I already get that through amex plat plus the amex lounges and delta lounges when flying delta. Points are definitely more valuable through the Chase portal.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:29 PM, Zone Read said:

Damn, I applied on the in-flight webpage for the personal card the other day with a 50,000 point offer.  Oh well, at least I got the 80,000 point business card offer to qualify for companion pass.

Same situation with my player 2. Had her send Chase a sweet secure message asking if they'd match the 75k offer. They gladly agreed for an additional spend of 5k in 6 months.

2 hours ago, midtown said:
On 1/12/2020 at 9:37 AM, The Ace of Aces said:
Have had the CSR since launch and will keep it. To me and my situation it still provides better value than the AmEx Platinum or Citi Prestige.

I'm on the fence.. I got the 100k so even at $550 minus the $300 travel credit I'm only paying 250 a year plus the value of the points I received and used. I'm way ahead. Lyft pink doesn't do much for me since I use my delta amex with lyft for the extra points. And I get a monthly credit on Uber with amex plat. Door dash I could use instead of Uber eats I guess. Priority pass sucks and I already get that through amex plat plus the amex lounges and delta lounges when flying delta. Points are definitely more valuable through the Chase portal.

I agree with you on all these points, I have the Amex platinum and CSR.  One exception, Priority Pass using the CSR is not the same as through Amex Plat.  CSR allows you to use more lounges and isn't closed off as often to members during certain peak hours.  AMEX PP doesn't give you restaurant credits at airports anymore like CSR PP does.  But AMEX lounges are the best of the best and only available using AMEX Platinum.  

I'm almost never use PP.. Flying out of SA I'm usually connecting through an airport that has a AXP lounge or is getting one. The only exception is Atl but that's where the delta lounges come in.

The more I think about it the more likely I will cancel and stick with AXP Plat. AXP delta plat, Barclay's AA and now the SWA Chase.

My understanding is that CSR is now $550 for new applications but it won't increase for existing customer renewals until April 1. I just paid my annual fee in December so I should be good until next December, at which point I'll probably consider dropping it and switching to something else for my base card.

The added CSR benefits don't do much for me:

-Lyft Pink - I use Lyft but the only Lyft Pink perk that would help me is 15% off rides. What does priority airport pickup even mean? The 10x points earning will also be nice I guess.

-DoorDash membership and credits - I don't use the service and don't have much interest in it. I either cook at home or I eat out. Not interested in having restaurant food get cold on its way to my house and wondering if the driver is helping himself to some of my fries.

10 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

My understanding is that CSR is now $550 for new applications but it won't increase for existing customer renewals until April 1.

I just looked.  Paid mine in Oct so I guess Ill keep it and see if the new bene's do me any good and use my $300 travel credit like normal.

I've been out of the game for a year or so but I'm ready to jump back in. I currently have CSR (primary card), Capital One Venture (don't use it but no fee), Citi AAdvantage (helps with baggage fees mainly), and the Hyatt Visa.

I like Chase Ultimate Rewards for the flexibility but the only good option seems to be the Chase Ink Business Preferred. I don't have a small business, although my wife does have a small business with an LLC and tax ID number. Should I do it in my name and make up a small business or do it in her name and use her actual small business? Or both? If connected to her business, it would be used exclusively for our personal purchases because it would muddy the waters of her business finances if everything got mixed up.

I'm also interested in the SWA RR offer for 75k points but it seems like this would be best paired with a SWA business card to get the total 125k points needed for a CP, which would be valid through Dec 2021. That would bring up the same dilemma as above on the small business ownership issue.

Thoughts?

This is off topic to credit cards, but still relevant to this thread...

Since I was AA Gold/Platinum for a number of years earlier because work made me travel, the last 2 years, when I haven't made Gold, AA has offered to let me pay for a Status boost so I at least get Gold.  I did it last year and plan on doing it again this year.   I've got till 1/31 to sign up.  Currently, it's $595, but I'm waiting to see if it will drop price again (initial offer was $735).

I travel 4-8 times a year (at least twice to the Caribbean) so it seems to make sense.  I get to purchase premium seating up front, which I like.   And I can do 500 mi upgrades.  Plus, now that I live in Corpus, a lot of my flights will be CRP-DFW, and I've got about a 60% hit rate on auto upgrade on those.

Any downsides that I haven't thought of (yeah...the money, I got that)?

And towards the CC side, I've got an AMEX Plat for lounge access (and I can get 5x points booking through them) and just got an AA Executive card for the sign up and discounted Admiral's Lounge (I've noticed that I always seem to end up closer to one of those rather than a AMEX lounge).  Thoughts on that strategery?

19 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Discounted Admirals Club?  My Executive card gives a guest and me full access to the lounge.  I know there's a $450 yearly fee for the card but if you use the other perks the card offers that fee pretty much is a wash.

Same here — access is “free.”

Slight topic hijack:  My lounge preferences:

1. Centurion (but limited locations, of course)

2.  Delta Sky Club

3. Admiral’s club

Delta has, IMO, upped their game. The big one in Atlanta gets crowded, and some others vary, but the one in Austin is almost Centurion quality.  Have not tried one of the Flagship lounges, but I know access is limited and they have limited locations

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Discounted Admirals Club?  My Executive card gives a guest and me full access to the lounge.  I know there's a $450 yearly fee for the card but if you use the other perks the card offers that fee pretty much is a wash.

When I said discounted, I was referring to getting the access for less than actually buying a membership (I.e. the annual fee for the card is less than a membership). I guess I phrased that poorly.  Mea culpa.

Any thoughts on if flying commercial is worth the points. I fly about twice a month for work but take private for convenience since the company pays for it. I always debate if I’m screwing myself on miles. 

Edited by LABEVO

1 hour ago, LABEVO said:

Any thoughts on if flying commercial is worth the points. I fly about twice a month for work but take private for convenience since the company pays for it. I always debate if I’m screwing myself on miles. 

i have a similar question. Should I take the Hawker or the King Air? I mean the Hawker gets me there faster but I feel guilty about it, given the cost and environmental considerations, etc... What do y'all recommend?

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2020 at 3:01 PM, Ag with kids said:

This is off topic to credit cards, but still relevant to this thread...

Since I was AA Gold/Platinum for a number of years earlier because work made me travel, the last 2 years, when I haven't made Gold, AA has offered to let me pay for a Status boost so I at least get Gold.  I did it last year and plan on doing it again this year.   I've got till 1/31 to sign up.  Currently, it's $595, but I'm waiting to see if it will drop price again (initial offer was $735).

I travel 4-8 times a year (at least twice to the Caribbean) so it seems to make sense.  I get to purchase premium seating up front, which I like.   And I can do 500 mi upgrades.  Plus, now that I live in Corpus, a lot of my flights will be CRP-DFW, and I've got about a 60% hit rate on auto upgrade on those.

Any downsides that I haven't thought of (yeah...the money, I got that)?

And towards the CC side, I've got an AMEX Plat for lounge access (and I can get 5x points booking through them) and just got an AA Executive card for the sign up and discounted Admiral's Lounge (I've noticed that I always seem to end up closer to one of those rather than a AMEX lounge).  Thoughts on that strategery?

AA Executive cards gets you basically all the perks of Gold+lounge access. I can't really see paying up for Gold and paying the annual fee on teh card.  Only incremental benefit appears to be priority for 500M upgrades, which only hit (out of AUS at least) if you are selective on the routes (ORD seems to get fairly frequent hits). 

1 hour ago, LABEVO said:

I was wondering if I should have someone come over and kick me in the nuts.  Is it worth it?  I mean, I like not getting kicked in the nuts, but if there are some side benefits to it, I'm willing to do it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

AA Executive cards gets you basically all the perks of Gold+lounge access. I can't really see paying up for Gold and paying the annual fee on teh card.  Only incremental benefit appears to be priority for 500M upgrades, which only hit (out of AUS at least) if you are selective on the routes (ORD seems to get fairly frequent hits). 

I think the only real extra is that I can get complementary under-500 mi upgrades and then do the 500 mi upgrades.  I'm in Corpus now so any work flights are routing through DFW.  I seem to have at least a 50% hit rate for getting upgraded there (complementary).  And I've gotten several on my personal travel too (I flew SXM-SAT after Christmas and my GF and I got upgraded on both legs.

I know if I'd paid to fly First each of those times it definitely would have cost more than $595.  And I'm at that point in my life where I don't mind spending a little extra for the comfort factor...

So, I'd hate to lose that.  Unless one of the cards can get me that...

I can stomach the CSR fee price wise since it's technically only a $40 a year increase after you max out DoorDash credit. I do targeted spending so most of my points come from CFU and CF. I need to use the Global Entry/TSA PreCheck credit this year and reevaluate in 2021 I guess. 

6 hours ago, LABEVO said:

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just as a PSA, if you've got an AMEX that has an airline credit, buying 500 mile upgrades from American WILL trigger the credit.  Just did it on a couple of my cards (AMEX Platinum and AMEX Business Platinum).

Before you ask, I have the Business Platinum because I actually have a business and I just got the personal Platinum.  I'll have to reevaluate when the Business card comes up for renewal whether it's worth it.  I can write off the annual fee to help offset the AF, so that's a plus.  And the airline credit gets me another $200 towards AF.  Plus, if I do any business traveling, I can get 5x MR points booking it thru AMEX.

On 1/17/2020 at 5:02 PM, Ag with kids said:

Just as a PSA, if you've got an AMEX that has an airline credit, buying 500 mile upgrades from American WILL trigger the credit.  Just did it on a couple of my cards (AMEX Platinum and AMEX Business Platinum).

Before you ask, I have the Business Platinum because I actually have a business and I just got the personal Platinum.  I'll have to reevaluate when the Business card comes up for renewal whether it's worth it.  I can write off the annual fee to help offset the AF, so that's a plus.  And the airline credit gets me another $200 towards AF.  Plus, if I do any business traveling, I can get 5x MR points booking it thru AMEX.

What other interesting ways are people using that airline credit? I used to purchase the vouchers until they stopped allowing it. Then I started just buying liquor on the plane but that doesn't work very much since I'm often in AA Extra seating where it's free. 

12 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

What is the best hotel rewards card with most benefits? My fiancé has a southwest rewards card so I was thinking more along the lines of getting a hotel one for us.

Depends on what hotels you like.  We decided a few years ago to go with Marriott (which now gives us the old SPG hotels as  well).  Amex Bonvoy Brilliant is the current best offering.  Easy to rack up points, and instant Marriott Gold status.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:05 AM, AustinMT said:

Same here — access is “free.”

Slight topic hijack:  My lounge preferences:

1. Centurion (but limited locations, of course)

2.  Delta Sky Club

3. Admiral’s club

Delta has, IMO, upped their game. The big one in Atlanta gets crowded, and some others vary, but the one in Austin is almost Centurion quality.  Have not tried one of the Flagship lounges, but I know access is limited and they have limited locations

I’m at the Terminal B Sky Club right now; place is more crowded than 606 was for 10 cent drink night back in the day....

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 1

Was just through the DFW one (again) on a domestic itinerary yesterday. It’s pretty solid. Chicago’s is nice as well, and Miami isn’t bad.

Agree with your assessment on those particular Flagship lounges. The best deal is the unlimited and extensive booze selection.

My question to you is, how do you get access to Flagship Lounges on a domestic itinerary? I thought it was only for Biz/First Class international flight passengers?

44 minutes ago, DallasGatr said:

Agree with your assessment on those particular Flagship lounges. The best deal is the unlimited and extensive booze selection.

My question to you is, how do you get access to Flagship Lounges on a domestic itinerary? I thought it was only for Biz/First Class international flight passengers?

I credit to BA, where I’ve shuffled between silver and gold.  At their silver level, you’re a one world sapphire and get domestic lounge access. 

As Chase transfers to BA and not AA, it all works out for the better for me. Lounge access isn’t a sole reason to do that, but since it comes with the territory I take full advantage.

My Tier Point year ends the first part of August. Right now with what I have scheduled I’ll be 60 TP’s shy of gold again. Going to have to figure out a short r/t flight between now and then. 

• Like 1

On the one hand, lounge access is huge. I've been stranded plenty of times in various places and it was a miracle. On the other hand, if it all works out, I don't really need it. Regardless, I'll have a platinum card soon and it should help with a bunch of international travel. Sucks that the Uber credit is only domestic. 

6 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

On the one hand, lounge access is huge. I've been stranded plenty of times in various places and it was a miracle. On the other hand, if it all works out, I don't really need it.

Kinda like car insurance. The Aangels in the lounges are the real miracle workers. Suck it Harry Potter. 

In the AUS AC right now, and may need those fine folks when I get to Dallas. We’ll see. If not, still hittin the self pour top shelf. Fuck it o’clock at 7am, it will be. 

15 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I’m at the Terminal B Sky Club right now; place is more crowded than 606 was for 10 cent drink night back in the day....

Try the DFW Terminal D Centurion in the morning.  As they bring food out, it's like the student section trying to get into the stadium for an LSU game.  As nice as that club is, I have left to go to Admiral's for some avocado toast in a quiet and soothing environment, compared to the chaos at Centuron.

But the desk staff at Admiral's club has saved my ass after delayed or canceled flights many times.  Well worth it to me via my Citi Exec Card that also gets me 10K EQMs per year.

5 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

Try the DFW Terminal D Centurion in the morning.  As they bring food out, it's like the student section trying to get into the stadium for an LSU game.  As nice as that club is, I have left to go to Admiral's for some avocado toast in a quiet and soothing environment, compared to the chaos at Centuron.

But the desk staff at Admiral's club has saved my ass after delayed or canceled flights many times.  Well worth it to me via my Citi Exec Card that also gets me 10K EQMs per year.

The DFW Centurion is poorly laid out — not sure why they didn’t do something better when they rebuilt it.  They also seem slow to get food out compared to other locations.

• Like 1

I gave up my Centurion Lounge access because I couldn't find a lot of value in it. I fly AA or SWA from Terminal B at LGA, so it's right there. I've never been impressed with their offerings. Add to the fact that it's pre-security, and I'd rather just go to the AAdmiral's club, which is post-security. As someone above pointed out, lounges are great when you have a long layover or a delay. I'm not going to get to the airport early just to have a glass of booze. 

Not to mention that in an IRROPS situation the lounge agents can work crazy miracles. Lots more access/privileges/power than any gate or phone agent. 

Slipped into the term A club in Dallas this morning as I was changing terminals. Wasn’t there long, but they had stuff out to make breakfast tacos. Good idea, right up to the corn tortillas. Fall apart city right there. 

It’s still a nice space though, so there’s that. Fresh guac in the evening is nice. 

5 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Slipped into the term A club in Dallas this morning as I was changing terminals. Wasn’t there long, but they had stuff out to make breakfast tacos. Good idea, right up to the corn tortillas. Fall apart city right there. 

Pro-tip:  run the corn tortilla through the toaster conveyor belt thing to warm it up and get it soft.  

I need to get 5 people to Basel or Zurich in business class Dec 2020. I have AA gold status, 25k AA miles, 100k Marriott points.  Unfortunately just burned through a bunch of both to schedule some family travel in Jan and Feb so fairly depleted at the moment. Help me make it happen.  Not opposed to coming out of pocket a fair amount if necessary, but trying to do this as efficiently as possible. Ill open cards and shit and anything else if necessary for the lay flat. 

Edited by Anastasis

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I need to get 5 people to Basel or Zurich in business class Dec 2020. I have AA gold status, 25k AA miles, 100k Marriott points.  Unfortunately just burned through a bunch of both to schedule some family travel in Jan and Feb so fairly depleted at the moment. Help me make it happen.  Not opposed to coming out of pocket a fair amount if necessary, but trying to do this as efficiently as possible. Ill open cards and shit and anything else if necessary for the lay flat. 

I don't want to be a downer, but the reality of it is you're going out of pocket for most, if not all of that.

You might be able to get 1 r/t ticket, but first you're going to need over 500k miles (more like 600k, and most likely more than that) for 5 tickets, and that's if you found a miracle of 5 biz savers. Around Christmas can be brutal for awards. Even moreso than most other times. There's typically "Anytime" awards, but that would double your mileage requirement, or more.

There really aren't enough cards you could open to get there. At 50k/card, you're talking a minimum of 10 cards, most likely 12+. Even then you're looking at cards that transfer to BA.

Now we're getting somewhere. You won't get it all, but you might be able to get 25% of it with miles, maybe a little more if you can work some different angles. The key here is you want cards that have BA as a transfer partner, or actually earn BA's avios. Realize that for this to work, you're going to have to open 3-5 cards, and so will your wife. These cards are going to most likely have minimum spends of $5k in 3 months. That's translates to $15k-$25k of spend for both you AND your wife, or $30k-$50k combined.

You both will need BA account to transfer into, and will need to combine them into a household account. This lets you pool their points, and is crucial.

Once you've got this handled, and points transferred over to BA, then look for your tickets through the BA Holiday site. You go to the main BA site, and then book a holiday. You can then offset the cost with however many points you have.

It's not the top end of point value, but it's about the best you're going to get to even sniff your requirements. I just did something similar. I picked up 2 r/t biz tickets into Lisbon, out of Barcelona, for $1250 + 50k avios and had the choice of some good AA metal as well.

For what the above is going to take, you may as well just go to the BA Holiday site and just pay for it. They'll let you pay it off over a few months if you want.

Or you can also hunt, hunt, and hunt, waiting and not knowing. All to end up short on time and booking for twice what you would have 5 months earlier.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I don't want to be a downer, but the reality of it is you're going out of pocket for most, if not all of that.

Yeah, I might have fucked up burning a couple hundred thousand points on trips to NC and CO that I should have sat on for europe. 

Long time lurker here but I've followed this thread since page 1.  It feels like this is a full time job to keep up with all of these offers and to play the chess game correctly.  It all just makes my brain hurt.  Being Surly, I doubt anyone will take any pity on me and that's cool with me.  However, I'm hoping a few of those that appear to be winning at this credit card game would consider helping an old and talk to me like I'm a five year old.

My scenario is that my wife (no pics) and I currently have one Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select for personal and one Aadvantage CitiBusiness Select for business transactions (we are a small business owner).  We have both cards tied to one AA member number so all miles are consolidated.  We've had these cards for 20+ years and have never even considered another card out of sheer laziness to look around.  However, I clearly see we are missing out on maximizing rewards.  These two AAdvantage cards do nothing for us except offer 1 mile per $ spent.  Currently, we charge all of our monthly personal expenses on our personal card, pay as much of our business expenses as we can on the business card and then pay off the balances at the end of each month.  Thus, we currently have approx 1.2M AA miles.

My goal at this time is to get a new business card in order to capture as many rewards as possible.  Our goal is to complement all of the AA miles that we can use to fly with a card that will allow us the best opportunities for cheap and/or free hotel rooms/resorts.  Our business expenses that we charge to our business card currently average about $20-30k per month.

So I come to you assholes for advice.

My questions are what would you do and what's the best way to maximize rewards?  Should I open a new business card and have my wife apply separately as well?  If we did that, can rewards be merged into one account?

Chase Ink Preferred for each of you gets you kicked off with 160K points you can transfer between accounts.

One of you will apply with the business EIN and the other will make up a business and use their social. Google how to open a business account without a business so you don't trip over your own dick in the process.

Give it a month or so and then get the Sapphire Preferred. That'll get you another 50k. I'd suggest she do the same, but separately. Don't make the other partner an authorized user.

That'll get you started. Basically, you want your first 5 cards to all be in the Chase family. After that, it's all fair game.