TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

5 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Tell me your interest in the following

• International flights
  • Business class vs premium economy vs economy
  • Airport lounges and spending any time in them before flights
  • Hotel and how much you demand VIP treatment

There's so many options for you but it really depends on your interest in those topics. 

Not a damn bad place to start there. Good thoughts, damn right.

On 11/14/2020 at 9:44 AM, HRSchenker said:

• International flights

There's so many options for you but it really depends on your interest in those topics. 

I don't have status anywhere so first class and premium stuff is pretty low on my priorities.  I really just would want to benefit from accruing free flights and the like.  I say SWA b/c Love is close to me and flights direct to most of my territories.  Hotels?  Kind of same as flights.  Never really had to regularly stay at "premium" type of hotels but wouldn't say I'm opposed.  Really all I've heard is to big a hotel chain and stick with them to earn points.

On 11/14/2020 at 8:44 AM, HRSchenker said:

• International flights

International business class 

Is there anyone else that has this unreasonable fear that rewards points and miles will just go away some day? I have this massive buildup of United miles, and there is this nagging fear that one day United will just bite the dust or cancel the frequent flyer program. Given the limited opportunity for travel these days, there must be a massive liability accruing for these airlines as people continue to build up balances through credit card spend etc, but not spend it.

11 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Really all I've heard is to big a hotel chain and stick with them to earn points.

I'm going to be the dissenter on this one.    Yes if you are traveling to places where all they have are large chains like Marriot, Hyatt, etc AND you plan to use your points to stay on their properties for your pleasure travel then yes.   My situation is different.    I don't travel but once or twice a year for work and that's to Lubbock.   The rest of my travel is international where they may or may not have any of the big chains and in most cases they don't; and even when I'm going to a destination that does have the chains I'd prefer to stay somewhere with more character and in the exact part of town that I want.   For that reason I use Hotels.com for a lot of my bookings and I get free nights that I can use on ANY property anywhere.   

Ok....so, just got an AMEX offer for my Platinum.

A free 1 year subscription to Uber Eats Pass.  So...$0 delivery and 5% off the restaurant price (according to the deal).  I opened my Uber Eats App and it was right on top.  A few clicks and I was signed up.

That's a free $119 perk.

NOTE:  It will auto renew next year, so if you don't want to continue, set a calendar alarm.

I use Uber Eats enough that I KNOW this will be worth WELL MORE than the $119 I would have spent without the promotion or even if I didn't sign up for it.

On 11/17/2020 at 7:20 AM, Enchubben said:

Is there anyone else that has this unreasonable fear that rewards points and miles will just go away some day? I have this massive buildup of United miles, and there is this nagging fear that one day United will just bite the dust or cancel the frequent flyer program. Given the limited opportunity for travel these days, there must be a massive liability accruing for these airlines as people continue to build up balances through credit card spend etc, but not spend it.

Don’t think you are in any trouble. 
American Airlines put up AAdvantage program as collateral for gov loans. 
The airlines themselves may change a lot of stuff but their programs are pretty much their cash cows. 
Of course another Great Depression then all bets are off, but most of aren’t going to be flying then anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

Points and miles might phase out and go away eventually, but not overnight.  Im not sure if any program has just suddenly shuttered.  The programs themselves are typically profitable, even if the underlying airline isnt, and theyre quite detachable parts of the business that can and do get spun off. 

They can always sell the miles and points off to partners to bring in revenue.  As far as liability, thats a pretty simple problem to solve -- the motherfuckers just devaluate their redemption! 

So no, you wont lose all your miles and points.  But yes, you should always try to use them asap

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Points and miles might phase out and go away eventually, but not overnight.  Im not sure if any program has just suddenly shuttered.  The programs themselves are typically profitable, even if the underlying airline isnt, and theyre quite detachable parts of the business that can and do get spun off. 

They can always sell the miles and points off to partners to bring in revenue.  As far as liability, thats a pretty simple problem to solve -- the motherfuckers just devaluate their redemption! 

So no, you wont lose all your miles and points.  But yes, you should always try to use them asap

Ah...the Central/South American solution to monetary problems....

Your Dollar?  It's worth 10 pesos today but 20 pesos  next week.😉

6 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Ah...the Central/South American solution to monetary problems....

Your Dollar?  It's worth 10 pesos today but 20 pesos  next week.😉

honestly, travel currency seems like the best business to be in.

all youre doing is selling fictitious points, the value of which you can legally set on a whim.  no inventory, no supply chain, no manufacturing.  just inventing numbers on a ledger.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Quantas did it better a few months ago, also from their 747's. They sold the bar carts fully stocked. I learned about it too late or I'd have bought one for a bar decoration:

https://www.businessinsider.com/qantas-put-fully-stocked-bar-carts-from-747s-sale-2020-9

yeah that looks like a nice corner accessory.  decent deal if you get krug.  not so much if taittinger

• 2 weeks later...

And to expand on that.   AMEX UR pts are valued at .02 per pt.  So that's $2500 in travel alone.   If you can utilize the Uber credits that's just a bonus this year.   Unless you are traveling the airline credit is probably a dead issue.   I do pick up $100-200 a year in bonus credits but that's not a plat only benefit.

And to expand on that.   AMEX UR pts are valued at .02 per pt.  So that's $2500 in travel alone.   If you can utilize the Uber credits that's just a bonus this year.   Unless you are traveling the airline credit is probably a dead issue.   I do pick up $100-200 a year in bonus credits but that's not a plat only benefit.
Not traveling this year, but we do use points for travel. Will look into it, thanks.

Which UR points are you talking about that you can get .02 per?

Uber credits have been a thing for the past few years. This year has a new deal with Uber Eats.

My wife got a 100k offer as well we might take advantage of versus her having a card on my account. Also saw this for another $200 value this next year:

8c0ece7d8092e615b5a0d941f70a3dee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, midtown said:

I meant membership reward pts for AMEX.  .02 is the valuation by TPG.   Last time I checked.

Ah. I think if you use them to book in AMEX directly that's what you get. But using them for other things it ranges from .006 to .015 or so

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/monthly-valuations/

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ultimate-guide-amex-membership-rewards/

Has anyone flown premium class recently? Looking at trips to Hawaii in the spring and wanted to book first but wondering how the service is? Can you still order cocktails and are you getting normal dinner service?

I'd consider pushing this out to later in the year but wanted to travel before my little one is 2 so I can get out of buying 4 seats. However I did want to ensure I'm enjoying the trip as much as possible. Any chance beach resorts are operating somewhat normal by mid year?

On 12/15/2020 at 9:27 AM, midtown said:

Not great but not terrible.  

Would you go Chase Sapphire preferred or this:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/platinum/?eep=26129&extlink=af-us-ccsg-PLALM&irgwc=1&veid=29xyQfz4GxyLWNfwUx0Mo38YUkE330Rnpwl%3A080&affid=1193684&pid=IR&affname=NerdWallet%2C Inc.&sid=14011830016&pmc=137&BUID=CCG&CRTV=controlaffcps&MPR=03

Or do you think it's best to combine what I have with the Chase bonuses at $95 annually vs $550.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Or do you think it's best to combine what I have with the Chase bonuses at $95 annually vs $550.

Why not both?  Unless you are at your Chase 5/24 limit and holding off for another Chase card.  AMEX Plat is really about travel.  If you don't travel it's a tougher choice.   One thing that isn't talked about much is AMEX offers.  I can usually save $300-400 in a given year with statement credits and bonus pts on shit I spend money on already.   Also there was just a 100k offer and AMEX is a one time only so you hate to take a 75k considering that's all you will get.  I assume a lot of these big offers are covid related and might not be as robust in the next year. 

6 minutes ago, midtown said:

Why not both?  Unless you are at your Chase 5/24 limit and holding off for another Chase card.  AMEX Plat is really about travel.  If you don't travel it's a tougher choice.   One thing that isn't talked about much is AMEX offers.  I can usually save $300-400 in a given year with statement credits and bonus pts on shit I spend money on already.   Also there was just a 100k offer and AMEX is a one time only so you hate to take a 75k considering that's all you will get.  I assume a lot of these big offers are covid related and might not be as robust in the next year. 

I don't travel that often and was just trying to get maximum benefits over the next 3 months in stuff I have to pay for regardless.

Also forgot about the Chase Sapphire Reserved.

1. use 5x office supply card (Chase Ink OG card, Ink cash, etc)

2. go to Office Depot/Max

3. Buy 2 x $200 visa gift cards w/$6.95 fee

4. enjoy promo for $15 back

5. profit: get $400 in gift cards for $399 and 2,000 Chase points

there is some expert level shit with getting even more back with the rebate companies but I aint got time for that

Edited by 4th and 5

• 2 weeks later...

An AMEX Platinum PSA:

I just got back from my yearly Christmas vacation in St Martin this weekend.  I was drinking last night, so I got on AMEX Travel to start planning next year (why not, right?).  Right away, there's a splash screen that informs me that I can get a $200 Travel Credit by booking through AMEX Travel and using my Platinum card.  I checked a bit and this appears to be in addition to the $200 Airline credit I get with the card.

Just thought I'd let you know about this new benefit AMEX is handing out...

An AMEX Platinum PSA:
I just got back from my yearly Christmas vacation in St Martin this weekend.  I was drinking last night, so I got on AMEX Travel to start planning next year (why not, right?).  Right away, there's a splash screen that informs me that I can get a $200 Travel Credit by booking through AMEX Travel and using my Platinum card.  I checked a bit and this appears to be in addition to the $200 Airline credit I get with the card.
Just thought I'd let you know about this new benefit AMEX is handing out...
That's been out there for a while and it's on this thread but good reminder.

Also Amex added a papal credit if you link your plat. Tons of new offers hit this year. Good ones to

6 hours ago, midtown said:
On 12/22/2020 at 1:57 PM, BurntOrange&White said:
Is it worth it to transfer my chase points to United mileage plus? To pay for some flights?

Pretty sure chase dropped united

Wait, what?  I have a Chase Explorer United card that I have been hammering.  I had everything tied to it that I could (Marriott, Hertz, Corporate travel when I did that.)

Edited by Macanudo

On 1/4/2021 at 4:44 PM, midtown said:

That's been out there for a while and it's on this thread but good reminder.

Also Amex added a papal credit if you link your plat. Tons of new offers hit this year. Good ones to

The PayPal credit is $30 a month until June... pretty nice.

I wonder if you can buy something expensive and use the PayPal pay over time to get the full credit each month.

1 minute ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I wonder if you can buy something expensive and use the PayPal pay over time to get the full credit each month.

That would be nice.  They also added a $50 best buy credit that you can do twice. And one for Home Depot as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, midtown said:

That would be nice.  They also added a $50 best buy credit that you can do twice. And one for Home Depot as well.

I saw and added both of those too. Think you have to buy online though but I am looking to get some outdoor speakers so might be time to make that happen.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:57 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Is it worth it to transfer my chase points to United mileage plus? To pay for some flights?

Depends. Chase UR points can be used to book travel directly at 1.25-1.5 cents per point depending on your card. So if United is giving you better value than that on a per-mile basis, transferring is worth it. If not, you get more value out of using them to book through Chase.

On 12/16/2020 at 8:46 PM, ZB'Tejas said:

Has anyone flown premium class recently? Looking at trips to Hawaii in the spring and wanted to book first but wondering how the service is? Can you still order cocktails and are you getting normal dinner service?

I'd consider pushing this out to later in the year but wanted to travel before my little one is 2 so I can get out of buying 4 seats. However I did want to ensure I'm enjoying the trip as much as possible. Any chance beach resorts are operating somewhat normal by mid year?

I’ve flown International and domestic business in august, October, and November. 

It depends on the airline but it’s definitely less of an experience than it used to be. I’ve still been getting cocktails on delta international but its airplane bottles not the pours from Fifths. I flew Turkish international though and they only had wine in the 187 ml servings. 

Dinner was still good but also a little more congested with all the plastic coverings and bullshit. 

On 1/13/2021 at 12:40 AM, Johnny Chimpo said:

I’ve flown International and domestic business in august, October, and November. 

It depends on the airline but it’s definitely less of an experience than it used to be. I’ve still been getting cocktails on delta international but its airplane bottles not the pours from Fifths. I flew Turkish international though and they only had wine in the 187 ml servings. 

Dinner was still good but also a little more congested with all the plastic coverings and bullshit. 

I've had a few upgrades to First on AA this past year.  They announced they are not doing any drink service of the PA and then proceeded to give me the booze I asked for.  But, food was just upgraded snacks and maybe a sandwich or something.  Less than you normally got.