TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

I need some help deciding between two cards: Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Freedom Unlimited. I'm about to start traveling quite a bit for work, mainly to Oklahoma City, Wisconsin, and Minnesota via SWA.

From only looking at the introduction benefits, I'm leaning towards CFU. Thoughts? Any other cards to consider?

Edit: at this stage, I'm unlikely to churn credit cards. My other main 2 cards are the AMEX blue cash and Fidelity visa
cdb877525bab7166f10146598c79ad79.jpgd432f169d9c930531c27ce30195821da.jpg

Anybody on here doing run at Hyatt Globalist status? Normally need 60 nights but only 30 right now. Hyatt Credit card gives you 5 (or 10 if you signed up last year). You get 2 nights for a very $5K on the card, and an extra free class 4 night after $15K spend, so that is up to 16 nights. Stays through February earn 2 nights each and points get a 25% refund. So in all I only need 7 nights at 5K per night = 35K points or 26,500 after refund.

That gets you Hyatt Globalist status through Feb 2023, which is probably the best elite hotel status you can get. Plus when you get Globalist status you get ANOTHER class 4 night.

BTW the Hyatt card gives you 50K points itself, so net the challenge gives you 23,500 points, 2 free class 4 stays and Globalist status. Not bad.

I need some help deciding between two cards: Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Freedom Unlimited. I'm about to start traveling quite a bit for work, mainly to Oklahoma City, Wisconsin, and Minnesota via SWA.

From only looking at the introduction benefits, I'm leaning towards CFU. Thoughts? Any other cards to consider?

Edit: at this stage, I'm unlikely to churn credit cards. My other main 2 cards are the AMEX blue cash and Fidelity visa
cdb877525bab7166f10146598c79ad79.jpgd432f169d9c930531c27ce30195821da.jpg

If you are traveling SWA get the SWA Card. Right now its 80k bonus. Use it for everything SWA. With a decent amount of SWA travel plus the points you will qualify for a companion pass. Then also get the freedom

Also if you are going to be going to the same 6-10 cities etc and are going to be using the same 6-10 hotels then pick a brand and consider one of the hotels branded cards as well. 
Is there a chain thats more preferable from a perks or miles standpoint?

And with 5x on travel, etc why would anyone even mess w the other Chase Sapphire card(s)? Is there something I'm missing?

There are chains that are preferable for better tier perks (guarantee room upgrade, free breakfast, lounge/club access, etc) or better redemption rates for free stays, etc. Others are better for availability in random places. Depends what you want/will use.

Also, if one chain clearly has better hotels or better location next to your job sites, your decision might be made for you. (Conversely, if another chain simply doesn't have hotels in your job cities, again, decision is made for you.)

On 1/19/2021 at 11:07 PM, Spur08 said:

Is there a chain thats more preferable from a perks or miles standpoint?

And with 5x on travel, etc why would anyone even mess w the other Chase Sapphire card(s)? Is there something I'm missing?

Well, I just figured out my own answer.  Can't earn 5x on flights if you don't book through their portal -- which I'm going to have to do since we fly SWA.  

I've been looking at booking an international trip this fall using my AA miles. Had one planned for last September to Italy that we had to cancel. On that one I booked business going over since it's overnight and coach coming back since it's during the day and all you do is sit and watch movies. Had plenty of miles and would still have some left over. Now business class rewards are through the roof. I have more miles in my account now, and still don't have enough to book the same way. I can do premium economy, but that's it. It's crazy. 

46 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I've been looking at booking an international trip this fall using my AA miles. Had one planned for last September to Italy that we had to cancel. On that one I booked business going over since it's overnight and coach coming back since it's during the day and all you do is sit and watch movies. Had plenty of miles and would still have some left over. Now business class rewards are through the roof. I have more miles in my account now, and still don't have enough to book the same way. I can do premium economy, but that's it. It's crazy. 

I have a $2k credit for BA from last summer, gotta use it (and fly) by April of '22. Should be using it this summer, but I'm 99.9% sure there won't be any shows with 60k people this summer.

Thinking December should be alright enough to trek around the Christmas markets and hang out for a couple weeks.

Not 100% sure where yet, but probably similar overall to last run through in '18. (Paris, Manchester, London, Brussels, Paris.) Have to find an in/out point first, but we'll see I guess. Hopefully the restrictions are loosened a bit by then.

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

I have a $2k credit for BA from last summer, gotta use it (and fly) by April of '22. Should be using it this summer, but I'm 99.9% sure there won't be any shows with 60k people this summer.

Thinking December should be alright enough to trek around the Christmas markets and hang out for a couple weeks.

Not 100% sure where yet, but probably similar overall to last run through in '18. (Paris, Manchester, London, Brussels, Paris.) Have to find an in/out point first, but we'll see I guess. Hopefully the restrictions are loosened a bit by then.

I saw that Romania has already lifted the travel ban for anyone who can show they've received both vaccination doses. I'm guessing more countries will be doing the same. That's hopeful. 

13 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I saw that Romania has already lifted the travel ban for anyone who can show they've received both vaccination doses. I'm guessing more countries will be doing the same. That's hopeful. 

I think so, yes. Most should be vaccinated by then, and it shouldn’t be terrible. Mutated strains may be a pain in the fucking ass though, but we’ll see. 

Not sure if I can cash the voucher in or not. Guess I could always blow it on avios, then book AA flights domestically. (Wonder if I still get BA credit for number of flights?)

• 2 weeks later...

This has been discussed before, but I want to make sure I have it right.  I want to get rid of my Chase Sapphire Reserve card and get the Sapphire Preferred. My annual renewal fee on the Reserve card is due on March 1st, so I want to close it out before the fee is charged.  So that I won't lose my "age of credit history" with the Reserve, should I call Chase and ask to have it downgraded to the Freedom Flex card? (I already have the Freedom Unlimited.) My other two cards I have only had about 1 year each (Freedom Unlimited and Chase United Explorer card.)  My credit score is about 800 if that matters.

March 1st is also my 4 year anniversary with the Reserve card, therefore, once I downgrade that one, I want to apply for the Preferred card to get the bonus points. Before I do anything with the Reserve card I understand that I need to transfer the points to my Freedom Unlimited card, then I can transfer all the points to the Preferred card once approved.

This will give me 4 credit cards:  Chase United Explorer, Preferred, Freedom Unlimited and Freedom Flex.  I don't really need that many cards and would like to only have one of the Freedom cards, but I would like to avoid losing my age of credit history with the Reserve card, unless that really is not that big of a deal.

Appreciate any advice.

• 1 month later...

I have about 500,000 Marriott points and about 200,000 Southwest points right now.  I've accumulated them through my business by using my cards for business purchases and employee travel.  I'm guessing I'll have about double that by this time next year. 

For Spring Break 2022, I'd like to take my wife and two of my kids on a tropical vacation (probably 5 nights).  Thinking Hawaii, Costa Rica or somewhere in the Caribbean.  I've done some high-level searches for hotels and flights, but the bottom line is, I'm trying to maximize my points value.  Ultimately, I'd love to find a location with nearly direct service via Southwest (we don't mind a 2-hr drive), and a Marriott branded hotel with a points upgrade option to a 2-bedroom suite.  I have Ambassador Elite status as well, so may be able to get upgrades, but that's not guaranteed.

Seems like the 2-bedroom suite ask is going to be the deal breaker.  It either pushes the points threshold beyond the level of value of there just aren't any options there.   For example, the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua has a killer 2-bedroom suite... for 5,000,000 points. 

Any suggestions?

I’m about to take the family to the Mauna Kea hotel on the Big Island. It was running 50K per night, but $800 if paying cash rates. I thought that was an amazing redemption for Marriott. Not sure if they have suites.

The SWA flight from Austin to Kona is 10 hours and includes a 1 hour layover in San Jose. On the way back we are doing a 1 night stopover in San Francisco.

On 3/24/2021 at 7:00 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

I have about 500,000 Marriott points and about 200,000 Southwest points right now.  I've accumulated them through my business by using my cards for business purchases and employee travel.  I'm guessing I'll have about double that by this time next year. 

For Spring Break 2022, I'd like to take my wife and two of my kids on a tropical vacation (probably 5 nights).  Thinking Hawaii, Costa Rica or somewhere in the Caribbean.  I've done some high-level searches for hotels and flights, but the bottom line is, I'm trying to maximize my points value.  Ultimately, I'd love to find a location with nearly direct service via Southwest (we don't mind a 2-hr drive), and a Marriott branded hotel with a points upgrade option to a 2-bedroom suite.  I have Ambassador Elite status as well, so may be able to get upgrades, but that's not guaranteed.

Seems like the 2-bedroom suite ask is going to be the deal breaker.  It either pushes the points threshold beyond the level of value of there just aren't any options there.   For example, the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua has a killer 2-bedroom suite... for 5,000,000 points. 

Any suggestions?

We did Maui on Hyatt points a few years ago and just booked two adjoining rooms because suites were hard to come by.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone read or heard anything on what might be motivating Chase to give 3x on dining for the Freedom Unlimited?

3x is the Sapphire Reserve level, and the damn Sapphire Preferred is only 2x. 

Maybe there isn’t much going on with the Reserve, maybe even Preferred, with all the travel shit being slow. 

Still seems pretty damn odd, and not really inspiring for people to keep the Reserve (even though there are more perks that that of course.)

I can see keeping the Preferred since it’s a significantly less AF, and still gives you the access for point transfers to partners. If you travel even twice a year, the travel insurance is at least useful, and if you were buying outright saves you some. Of course travel being slow for the most part kind of wiggles that, but it will come back.

Anyway just kind of wondering if anyone had read or knew anything that might give some insight as to why they thought it was a good idea. I guess it could simply be the obvious of trying to get as many swipes as possible to get as much from interchange fees as possible.

Not that it matters I guess, just feels weird using the freedom for dining now instead of the Sapphire.

11 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Anyone read or heard anything on what might be motivating Chase to give 3x on dining for the Freedom Unlimited?

3x is the Sapphire Reserve level, and the damn Sapphire Preferred is only 2x. 

Not that it matters I guess, just feels weird using the freedom for dining now instead of the Sapphire.

My Sapphire benefits show Earn 3X points on travel worldwide immediately after earning your $300 annual travel credit. Plus, earn 3X points per $1 spent at restaurants - from fast food to fine dining.

4 hours ago, mycox said:

My Sapphire benefits show Earn 3X points on travel worldwide immediately after earning your $300 annual travel credit. Plus, earn 3X points per $1 spent at restaurants - from fast food to fine dining.

For the Reserve, yes. 

4 hours ago, midtown said:

That's the reserve right?  

My CSP shows 2x on Travel and Dining and 2x on grocery.

That’s what mine shows for CSP. 

So my noAF FU has better dining points than the $95AF CSP. 

CSP is still worth it to me for the travel insurance and a few other things, but damn the reserve looks like a sucker deal right now really.

• 1 month later...

Anybody know when airlines change the number of miles needed for award trips. I'm guessing it's all based on number of seats sold and the like. I'm looking to book an international flight with miles and one day I'll look and "X" amount of miles are needed. I look on another day and a different number of miles are needed, sometimes higher sometimes lower, depending on the ticket class. Are there any tricks for when the lowest number is posted? Something like early Sunday morning, middle of the night, etc.? Or is it just check back often and hope to get lucky? 

11 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Anybody know when airlines change the number of miles needed for award trips. I'm guessing it's all based on number of seats sold and the like. I'm looking to book an international flight with miles and one day I'll look and "X" amount of miles are needed. I look on another day and a different number of miles are needed, sometimes higher sometimes lower, depending on the ticket class. Are there any tricks for when the lowest number is posted? Something like early Sunday morning, middle of the night, etc.? Or is it just check back often and hope to get lucky? 

I've heard to book on Tuesdays but don't know how true that is.

Disable cookies in your browser. They’re tracking you every time you check so it goes magically higher.

Bastards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Any consensus on the best card for points for a business?  I have CSR for my personal card.  I also have an Amex that I rarely use.  Most points are in Chase's system.

Doesn’t Chase still have one that’s similar to a CSR for biz? Maybe can even pool points with your CSR? 

Either way I would try to keep your spending focused on points you already earn. Easier/quicker to earn when you’re only focused on one or two programs.

• 2 weeks later...

Credit card dummy here. I’ve had the same Cabelas Club card for 15 years and use it and pay off monthly. I don’t shop at Cabelas/Bass Pro enough anymore to get much benefit.

I’ve got excellent credit, over 800, and am wanting something for trips etc. We’ll be spending a week at the Gaylord Texan in June so I’ve looked into the Marriott card some but am wondering/open to if there’s a better option.

Thanks in advance.

On 5/17/2021 at 3:44 PM, burns_312 said:

We’ll be spending a week at the Gaylord Texan in June so I’ve looked into the Marriott card some but am wondering/open to if there’s a better option.

Really depends how much you travel.  If it's once a year I probably wouldn't get into a travel based card, especially one that is tied to a single brand.  Although you could transfer pts and the current Bonvoy bonuses are pretty good.  I think Bonvoy transfers to AA.    You might just look at a good cash back card but of course the bonuses don't go as far IMO.    

I actually came here today to see if anyone has seen anything bonus wise.  I have two slots in my 5/24 with another one dropping at the end of the year.  I have every major airline already so I was thinking I'd grab the Bonvoy at 100k pts and/or the Capital One Freedom.    I COULD consider the Citi AA card at 50k.  I already have the Barclays AA.   I could do all three which would mean I wouldn't be eligible for a Chase until late 2022.

Edited by midtown

United Quest Card is offering 100k miles. Not a bad deal if you frequently fly United. $250 annual fee with $125 annual reimbursement of United travel purchases.

3X miles on United purchases
2X miles on all other travel
2X miles on dining
Two 5,000-mile anniversary award flight credits

Really depends how much you travel.  If it's once a year I probably wouldn't get into a travel based card, especially one that is tied to a single brand.  Although you could transfer pts and the current Bonvoy bonuses are pretty good.  I think Bonvoy transfers to AA.    You might just look at a good cash back card but of course the bonuses don't go as far IMO.    
I actually came here today to see if anyone has seen anything bonus wise.  I have two slots in my 5/24 with another one dropping at the end of the year.  I have every major airline already so I was thinking I'd grab the Bonvoy at 100k pts and/or the Capital One Freedom.    I COULD consider the Citi AA card at 50k.  I already have the Barclays AA.   I could do all three which would mean I wouldn't be eligible for a Chase until late 2022.

Probably average 25-30 nights a year in a hotel. I pulled the trigger on the Bonvoy.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ported over from one of the other travel threads.  How are we all feeling about the AMEX Plat price increase?

At first I was definitely going to cancel.  Esp since on the last three tries I've been denied entry into their lounges due to capacity limits.   That was always one of the biggest benefits for me.   Upon further inspection I do think the card pays for itself still.  My annual is in September so I won't see the price increase for almost a year since it's not hitting until 2022.

Ported over from one of the other travel threads.  How are we all feeling about the AMEX Plat price increase?
At first I was definitely going to cancel.  Esp since on the last three tries I've been denied entry into their lounges due to capacity limits.   That was always one of the biggest benefits for me.   Upon further inspection I do think the card pays for itself still.  My annual is in September so I won't see the price increase for almost a year since it's not hitting until 2022.

I have a NYT subscription so that particular perk canceled out the annual fee increase and then some, but that’s pretty niche. Though with the $200 hotel credit, which is more than the AF increase, if it was worth it before I don’t see how it isn’t worth it now.

15 minutes ago, midtown said:

AMEX Platinum is a tough one to get rid of. The $200 credit for airline fees, $185 for Uber/Uber Eats, $100 annual credit at Saks, $240 digital entertainment credit and $179 credit with CLEAR makes it real hard to cancel. Not to mention, Centurion Lounge access. They just rebuilt and reopened the CL at LGA post-security, so it's actually worth it now, which is good since I fly Southwest out of LGA a lot. DFW-JFK is my most frequent return route, so that's not an issue accessing the CL with the Skylink. 

Not thrilled with the increase, but I look at it as paying a retainer fee to cover purchases that you would have already made throughout the year to get all the benefits of the card. It's a hell of a mechanism for rental cars and travel insurance.

$200 airline credit

$200 Uber credit

$200 Hotel credit

$179 CLEAR credit

That's over $700.  If you are a one of those annoying people with a pelton you can add another $200.  If you live in a major city with an Equinox that's another $200.  

I usually eat and drink at least another $200 in the lounges.

On 7/8/2021 at 8:40 AM, midtown said:

$200 airline credit

$200 Uber credit

$200 Hotel credit

$179 CLEAR credit

That's over $700.  If you are a one of those annoying people with a pelton you can add another $200.  If you live in a major city with an Equinox that's another $200.  

I usually eat and drink at least another $200 in the lounges.

My uber use is sporadic so the $15 monthly credit is worth maybe $45 to me. I get food delivered once in a while but ubereats sucks in many ways and I don't use it.

$200 Hotel credit - okay this will be nice but I tend to favor vrbo/airbnb these days.

Clear - haven't seen the benefit of it since I often fly premium class, and have tsa pre. I'm more of the get to the airport early type anyway. I'll get it because it's now free but it's really just a nice to have.

We got the plat because way back when we needed amex for costco and saw value in the airport clubs, hotel status and FHR. I can't remember the last time I saw a hotel worth booking through fhr rather than direct with the hotel. This temporarily changes with the temporary extra $200 credit for booking with amex travel. Hilton and starwood low status pretty much sucks these days and I wouldn't stay at either chain as a first or 2nd choice.

Haven't shopped at Saks in years. Maybe it's worth talking the wife into shopping there instead of nordstrom for the $100 credit but I doubt it.

The $240 "digital entertainment" credit. I don't subscribe to any of those and in fact make a conscious effort to buy as little as possible from amazon (audible) and while I can appreciate some of what the nyt does, overall my feeling is fuck the nyt. I already have a lifetime sub to sirius and I rarely use it. A spotify credit or even pandora would have had more use for me.

I don't think there's an amex peloton credit any longer, just equinox and that benefit isn't worth a mention for anyone outside of NYC.

The $695 annual fee, plus 175$ for the wife's card means, for me, the amex annual fee has reached the stage of being a nuisance. I just learned, however, about a deal through Morgan Stanley where they'll credit you $695 for the plat if you jump through all of their hoops https://www.morganstanley.com/what-we-do/wealth-management/cashplus , so I'm considering the value of signing up for that account. I'm also seeing a lot more businesses that don't take amex so maybe I'll just ditch it at the next renewal.

Edited by Chopper

I'm in a similar boat, the 200 travel credit is about all I can use. No Clear airport, no Uber, none of the random subscriptions/fitness clubs, and the hotel credit has been false economy each time I've compared booking through Amex vs booking the same thing outside for less.

The recent AMEX Plat $30/mo Paypal thing was useful.  Then sporadically this year there's been useful ~$50-100 sized promos at Home Depot, Best Buy, Dell, etc.

AMEX Plat has a new one where you get 20k points for enrolling in Pay over Time (i.e. carry a balance) on $100.  That's a good tradeoff for a few dollars worth of interest payments.