TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

Anyone got the X1 card? 

The X1 Card Pushes the Envelope on Rewards and Security

This "smart" credit card offers unique virtual card capability and rewards -- and up to five times the credit limit of a traditional credit card.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/credit-cards/x1-smart-credit-card/

Edited by TurkeyChew

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

All I know is that airfare is expensive AF right now.  Two tickets round trip from Austin to New Orleans costs like $1K.  F that. I picked the wrong time to lose my Companion Pass.

Get the SWA Visa TODAY (it expires tomorrow).  Then 3 months to spend $5K and you get 30K points AND a Companion Pass...

37 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Nope. I'll drive before I spend $1K to fly that far.

I have travel credit that expire literally at midnight tomorrow (from American Airlines, completely forgot about them until last week and nobody I know needs them). If I can somehow get them to you, I will. I’ll look into it tmw AM.

Edited by TurkeyChew

10 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

I have travel credit that expire literally at midnight tomorrow (from American Airlines, completely forgot about them until last week and nobody I know needs them). If I can somehow get them to you, I will. I’ll look into it tmw AM.

You might be able to get them extended if you are an Advantage member.  I called and got a travel credit pushed back from a mid-April expiration to the end of May. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Appreciate the thought.  I think we are just going to go to Colorado instead. I can get a roundtrip to Denver the same weekend for 10K points.

On a related note, has anyone been to Vail or Beaver Creek in late April?  I'm assuming the slopes will be closed by then, but thinking we could do some spring hiking or snowshoeing. Alternatively we could just stay in Denver or Boulder.  This is just a quick getaway for wife and I to burn some Marriott free nights and get away from the kids.  Any opinions?

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Appreciate the thought.  I think we are just going to go to Colorado instead. I can get a roundtrip to Denver the same weekend for 10K points.

On a related note, has anyone been to Vail or Beaver Creek in late April?  I'm assuming the slopes will be closed by then, but thinking we could do some spring hiking or snowshoeing. Alternatively we could just stay in Denver or Boulder.  This is just a quick getaway for wife and I to burn some Marriott free nights and get away from the kids.  Any opinions?

Vail actually announced they are extending their season to May 1. 

Vail Mountain is extending is ski season by one week (denverpost.com)

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Don't go if the mountain is closed.  Everything else will be closed, too.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I am a lazy mofo and don’t want to go back and reread all the stuff.  

Probably taking another job that you use personal CC for all. Currently use company Amex and can’t buy into anything good with it. Spend about 6-8k a month. 

Lifetime Plat on AA but good chance I won’t be flying as much as 20-25% will be in Texas. 

My 1st thoughts are AA card, Hilton CC or cash back card. Any ideas from those who are into the game?

Edited by Shaddie

3 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Ok. I am a lazy mofo and don’t want to go back and reread all the stuff.  

Probably taking another job that you use personal CC for all. Currently use company Amex and can’t buy into anything good with it. Spend about 6-8k a month. 

Lifetime Plat on AA but good chance I won’t be flying as much as 20-25% will be in Texas. 

My 1st thoughts are AA card, Hilton CC or cash back card. Any ideas from those who are into the game?

Amex Plat or CSR are the way to go, IMO.  Pick which one suits your needs best.

Well first of all.  Don't just get one card.  Get several.   Hilton has a good card right now.  My biggest issue is that if you have the Hilton AX it really benefits you to have evevry stay be with Hilton and for me thats not always the best choice hotel wise.  Amex is great for the traveler. 

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Amex Plat or CSR are the way to go, IMO.  Pick which one suits your needs best.

Agreed. Although I am currently working Amex Plat with CSP right now. Decided to downgrade to preferred when Chase ran the 100k point promotion. 

I just picked up the United Club Infinite card since they were running a 120k mile promotion. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 10:21 PM, Telegraph_it said:

I just picked up the United Club Infinite card since they were running a 120k mile promotion. 

I'm about to do this as well.  Esp with the Plat lounges being a joke these days and San Antonio only has a United Club.  Per the Chase associate even though I got the United Explorer card and 70k pts a year ago I can still get the infinite 120k bonus.  Per my spreadsheet I just moved down to 4 on the Chase 5/24 rule as of a week ago.   I'd probably go ahead and dump my CSP and as soon as I finish my UK trip next month on AA I'll close my Barclay to lose some annual fees.  That would leave me with AX Plat, Hilton Amex, Delta AX, Chase freedom (which I might also close) SWA and Citi Premier. 

Has anyone successfully called Chase and found out if you are under the 5/24?

Replaced CSR with United Club Infinite card last week. Flying out of San Antonio. 

FWIW We called Chase to ask about just simply upgrading our MileagePlus Explorer card with a soft pull but were told we couldn't get the 120k bonus without a hard pull application. 

On 4/18/2022 at 10:50 PM, midtown said:

Well first of all.  Don't just get one card.  Get several.   Hilton has a good card right now.  My biggest issue is that if you have the Hilton AX it really benefits you to have evevry stay be with Hilton and for me thats not always the best choice hotel wise.  Amex is great for the traveler. 

Decided on Hilton Surpass. Don’t need card to get diamond since I do that organically. I figure with the card plus organic I can get about 5-6 hundred K points a year. My thinking is (I know it is an extremely bad devaluation) that 2-3 hundred a month wife spends on Amazon will now be free. 
Still haven’t figured out if AA upgrade policy will factor in LP or just $. I book lots of last minute flights but still get upgraded about 90% based in DFW or at least 1 on list. But if not flying as much who cares. 
Will look at AA card if too much slips or I fly more than I thought. 

Edited by Shaddie

Just used the Centurion Club in Terminal D DFW for the first time. Im a Delta guy so I am in the Sky Clubs around the country quite frequently.  I am a Amex Platinum Card holder.

I was not overly impressed with the Club.  Way too crowded, hardly any place to sit.  I found it to be very loud, more of a "bar" vs a private club.  The Sky Clubs (especially at SLC, Reagan, and B terminal ATL) are just as nice if not nicer, imo.

7 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

I was not overly impressed with the Club.  Way too crowded, hardly any place to sit.

That's the bugbear of all lounges.  The capacity is more important than the amenities.  Some of my favorite are a nightmare at the wrong times.  Though the DFW Centurion at the right time is better than any United Club anywhere

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

It should get better next year when the new club access rules take place.  Fingers crossed.

The issue is that AMEX approved anyone with a 600 credit score for the Plat card so they could capture the fee and the higher processing fee.  I think the Plat is double what it is for say a green.   I was recently in the Delta club in SLC going and SEA coming back ironically because the AMEX club was full and it was just as busy and just as loud as the AMEX club.   I've also been in a sky club in ATL recently and it was pretty full but it was like a library and the only sound were people ordering drinks.   I'm not going to lie. I take my teenagers in the DFW when I travel with them but they act like adults and are just there for the free food.   The last time I was in the DFW lounge I felt like I was at a day care. 

Edited by midtown

I've got a flight coming up to SYR.  I've looked at a couple options and the one that looks best (i.e. shortest) is:

DFW->DCA->SYR.  But, there's only a 45 min layover in DCA.

I've never been through that airport so I can't judge if that's long enough.  I'll just have my backpack with me so I don't have to lug a bigger carryon.

Any experienced DCA folks here to help me out?

If this was at DFW I wouldn't have a problem with that no matter which terminal I landed it and had to take off from but for all I know DCA could be a nightmare.  I'll be flying AA fwiw.

53 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I've got a flight coming up to SYR.  I've looked at a couple options and the one that looks best (i.e. shortest) is:

DFW->DCA->SYR.  But, there's only a 45 min layover in DCA.

I've never been through that airport so I can't judge if that's long enough.  I'll just have my backpack with me so I don't have to lug a bigger carryon.

Any experienced DCA folks here to help me out?

If this was at DFW I wouldn't have a problem with that no matter which terminal I landed it and had to take off from but for all I know DCA could be a nightmare.  I'll be flying AA fwiw.

DCA is small and easy to get through.  You have plenty of time.  If you think 45 is enough time at DFW, you'll be able to buy a beverage or two at DCA.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Snacks said:

DCA is small and easy to get through.  You have plenty of time.  If you think 45 is enough time at DFW, you'll be able to buy a beverage or two at DCA.

Ok...cool.  Like I said, I've never been there but I know it's in the shit show area of the east coast so I wasn't sure.

I saw another one through ORD after I posted this that's a little bit shorter flight with a longer layover.  I've been through ORD so I know it better.  Although the hub/spoke design of the "terminals" sucks if your gates are both at the end of the spokes.  I may take that one one.  It wasn't available when 

And it sucks that when I get there, I still have an hr drive to Rome, NY.  I told my admin that I wanted a hotel in Syracuse for the last day (can't get home the last day of the conference from there, no flights that late).  Flight out is 0700 and I am NOT driving an hour from Rome to SYR to catch that fucking flight.  Good thing is I'll get to my house about 1230 on Friday so the day drinking can commence.

9 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Ok...cool.  Like I said, I've never been there but I know it's in the shit show area of the east coast so I wasn't sure.

I saw another one through ORD after I posted this that's a little bit shorter flight with a longer layover.  I've been through ORD so I know it better.  Although the hub/spoke design of the "terminals" sucks if your gates are both at the end of the spokes.  I may take that one one.  It wasn't available when 

And it sucks that when I get there, I still have an hr drive to Rome, NY.  I told my admin that I wanted a hotel in Syracuse for the last day (can't get home the last day of the conference from there, no flights that late).  Flight out is 0700 and I am NOT driving an hour from Rome to SYR to catch that fucking flight.  Good thing is I'll get to my house about 1230 on Friday so the day drinking can commence.

When I was a DC regular, I avoided Dulles at all costs. DCA is definitely faster for travel into DC, and I imagine it's faster for connections. No people movers and whatnot... 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would compare DCA to SAT in terms of ease of getting around, but DCA is a way nicer airport. My brother-in-law lives in Alexandria and I so wish we had a SAT -> DCA direct.

Those SAT improvements can't get here fast enough. 

Edited by Eggo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I fly mostly AA out of DFW so I'm not sure the United Infinite card is worth it to me. The 120,000 mile signup bonus is tempting but the $525 AF not so much and the other perks I wouldn't use too much.

I am in need of a new card though. I currently use CSR for everything, which is great and versatile, but I haven't had a new card with a decent signup bonus in a while. I already have an Amex, and I've done SWA in the past 24 months. It's been about 36 months since I've done the Barclay and CITI AAdvantage cards. Not sure what the reset time is on their bonuses?

Any other recs?

Edited by wild_turkey

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I fly mostly AA out of DFW so I'm not sure the United Infinite card is worth it to me. The 120,000 mile signup bonus is tempting but the $525 AF not so much and the other perks I wouldn't use too much.

I am in need of a new card though. I currently use CSR for everything, which is great and versatile, but I haven't had a new card with a decent signup bonus in a while. I already have an Amex, and I've done SWA in the past 24 months. It's been about 36 months since I've done the Barclay and CITI AAdvantage cards. Not sure what the reset time is on their bonuses?

Any other recs?

So, what kind of card?  General Travel?  Airline Miles?  Hotel Points?

And what AMEX?  They have a bunch.

Maybe somebody here can help me because I'm new to status and all.

I got an AA platinum card several years ago because I started flying into Waco a few times a year for family and AA is the only airline serving ACT. Asside from that, im probably do 1 or 2 business trips in a year, maybe a weekend getaway or 2, and an international trip somewhere at least once a year with my vacation time just because I enjoy seeing the world.

Normally AA is useless getting me anywhere I want to go internationally from SFO because they require numerous or super long layovers, so I just find a good flight on Kayak or something and ride with them, losing out on any miles.

Suddenly this year I was given Gold status, which I've never had.

Now I'm planning a trip to Croatia this summer. I'd like to use AA/OneWorld because of upgrades available now that I'm gold, but all the connections suck and the costs are significantly higher than say Lufthansa, Swiss Air, or Turkish. I hate Heathrow even if BA had a decent flight (they don't). Iberia has something through Madrid that may work, but the connection back is an overnight.

2 questions for the veterans. What's the best way to take advantage of my new status getting to Croatia? And should I be doing something better than flying AA and using their card for status/awards? As regularly as I fly AA into Waco, I wish they were Star Alliance. Star Alliance can get me almost anywhere I want to be with minimum hassle from SFO, other than Waco.

Thanks for any advice.

Bad news Gold won’t get you much. Upgrades would only be on domestic portions and even then extremely unlikely. 
1 checked bag free. You won’t even be able to pick an extra room seat in coach until 24hrs before flight. Almost always gone by then. 

Possibly could get a miles plus cash upgrade on international AA flights only but for your status unicorns are more likely. Partner flights won’t get anything either. 

• Like 1

Bad news Gold won’t get you much. Upgrades would only be on domestic portions and even then extremely unlikely. 
1 checked bag free. You won’t even be able to pick an extra room seat in coach until 24hrs before flight. Almost always gone by then. 

Possibly could get a miles plus cash upgrade on international AA flights only but for your status unicorns are more likely. Partner flights won’t get anything either. 
That helps. Thanks.

6 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Any other recs?

Just my $.02, but it sounds like if you've already done the things that are useful to you, you might as well just stick with the CSR. The only reason we swapped out is because United/Star Alliance had the majority of flights we frequent out of SAT and the enhanced travel day experience was worth more than versatility. I see no use in bonus hunting for the sake of it. 

So, what kind of card?  General Travel?  Airline Miles?  Hotel Points?
And what AMEX?  They have a bunch.

Problem with hotels is that I stay almost entirely in boutique hotels that are single location. There isn’t a card for that. I can sometimes use Hyatt or Marriott points but I don’t look forward to it.

I have the gold Amex. Can I do the platinum and get a new signup bonus through that?

Airlines are better for me. What’s the refresh rate on the AA cards? Or what about the British Airways card?

10 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Problem with hotels is that I stay almost entirely in boutique hotels that are single location. There isn’t a card for that. I can sometimes use Hyatt or Marriott points but I don’t look forward to it.

I have the gold Amex. Can I do the platinum and get a new signup bonus through that?

Airlines are better for me. What’s the refresh rate on the AA cards? Or what about the British Airways card?

Yes.  You can get usually get the Platinum even if you have the Gold.  Although sometimes it'll want you to upgrade - don't do that since you won't get the bonus.  

I don't know if it's still available but the BA Chase card was offering 100K Avios earlier this year.  Not sure on the AA cards.

11 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Have you tried redeeming through the Amex travel portal?  There is access to tons of non-branded hotels.  Same with the Chase travel portal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Have you tried redeeming through the Amex travel portal?  There is access to tons of non-branded hotels.  Same with the Chase travel portal.

This.  You can add the Citi premier.  AX and Citi offer a hotel credit as well.  I find Citi and Chase give you the most bang for your buck on hotels through their portals.  Otherwise i'd suggest using hotels.com so you are getting "points" for your hotel stays.

2 hours ago, midtown said:

btw.  the AX Walmart/Exxon gas .10 reduction works like a charm.    By my math it would save me $10-15 a month in fuel costs so a little over $120 a year and I dont really drive a ton working from home 3x per week

Which AX is this on?  Are you saying you can use the AX at Walmart AND Exxon?

My GF and I don't drive that much anymore since we moved to Corpus (we live on the island and work in the Bluff).  I may do 8K miles a year and she's about 10K.  But, we both drive Jeeps so the mpg blows ass.  But, doing some quick math that looks to also be about $120/yr for me.