TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

This thread is incredibly insightful and useful. I wish I had a lot of this knowledge a year ago. 

For a few years, my wife and I had our own SWA premiere cards, but with my work travel (2-3x per month mostly on SWA) my card was sufficient for status, companion, and necessary points to book recreational domestic travel. We canned my wife’s card to avoid the annual fee and put her as an AU on mine to get more spending points going to my RR account. However, I changed jobs in late 2017 with significantly less business travel, then lost SWA companion status starting 1/1/19.

I contemplated canceling my SWA card, waiting a month, then reapplying for a new 50k point bonus, but the stupid bitch at Chase told me my wife could open a new card and direct all points to my RR account. 60 days later, we see the bonus hit her count and we were like WTF? Chase says the first lady was incorrect and points can only go to account with same SSN between card and frequent flyer holder. Now we are almost halfway through 2019 and I don’t think I’ll hit companion soon, so might as well wait to run the “SWA scam” in early 2020 to get companion through 1/1/22. 

We plan to continue taking ~4 domestic trips per year for us and our two young ones between family visits and vacation, but we are completely reassessing our credit cards right now from ground zero. We don’t put a lot of travel expenses on our personal credit cards, but we do eat out a fair amount, so not sure about CS/CSP/CSR. The conservative play for our lifestyle seems like a cash back card like Freedom or some Discover card. I have always enjoyed Southwest, and would do the personal and business SWA cards if I get the full bonus (when I called this year for a business one, and I have a legitimate but very small $ consulting business, chase gave me shit about not having an LLC # from the State of Texas and wouldn’t issue the card. How do you normally deal with that to get a business card?). Or are we better off doubling down in the “Thunderlounge” method and applying CSR points towards our SWA travel? Most of our trips will be for 4 people, not 2, so companion only gets us about 25% free airfare (before cashing in points) and limits our travel to SWA (probably our favorite airline so not a deal breaker).

I have no new issued credit cards in >3 years and have never had a Sapphire. My wife’s only recent new card was the SWA (above) that she had for less than 90 days, we tore Chase customer service a new asshole, then they closed the account, refunded her the annual fee, but let her keep the 40k SWA points for the trouble. We have pretty evenly distributed expenses between dining, grocery, department stores, and shit off Amazon. From 2013-2019, we had traveled for free solely off SWA points (and free Marriott nights via business trips). Should the wife and I divy up the Freedom, FU, and CSR between us and can the SWA?

Anyone have experience using a SWA companion pass with someone that doesn't have pre check? I'm assuming mine will not carry over to the companion reservation but online answers seem inconsistent.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Anyone have experience using a SWA companion pass with someone that doesn't have pre check? I'm assuming mine will not carry over to the companion reservation but online answers seem inconsistent.

No experience with SWA passes, but I have bought tickets for people who weren't TSA Pre a few times and only once did they not get TSA Pre on their boarding pass too. Not sure what the criteria for the decision is.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Not going to carry over unless they get lucky. 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to open a card that has 0% APR for at least 12-15 months that I can earn good points on.  My kids' private school offers a tuition break if you pay it all upfront, and since I'm not Surly elite, I want to put it on a card and pay it off over time.  The balance will be >$15,000 and my credit score is >800.  What would be my best option?  I have a Chase Freedom that I opened when I was in college just to establish credit, and an Amex Platinum that I rarely use.

Anything with a 0% intro will be a straight cash back card. Most are 1.5%, a rare few can be 2%.

There is the citi double cash card, which is 1% when you buy, 1% when you pay. 

If you already have a relationship with Chase, then maybe the freedom unlimited. Depends on how much credit Chase is willing to extend via credit lines, but typically half your income seems to be the typical. Not sure what else you have with Chase, but at least that route if they started you off with a 10k Limit, you could move some around to get up there. 

It’s all a numbers game. Be warned though, the hit on a card that’s almost maxed out can bring your score down a good bit. Have you opened any credit cards in the past 2 years? More than 4? If more than 4, chase will be out  

Edited by thunderlounge

9 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Anything with a 0% intro will be a straight cash back card. Most are 1.5%, a rare few can be 2%.

There is the citi double cash card, which is 1% when you buy, 1% when you pay. 

If you already have a relationship with Chase, then maybe the freedom unlimited. Depends on how much credit Chase is willing to extend via credit lines, but typically half your income seems to be the typical. Not sure what else you have with Chase, but at least that route if they started you off with a 10k Limit, you could move some around to get up there. 

It’s all a numbers game. Be warned though, the hit on a card that’s almost maxed out can bring your score down a good bit. Have you opened any credit cards in the past 2 years? More than 4? If more than 4, chase will be out  

That Chase 4x24 thing or whatever (I think you are implying it, if you open 4 cards in 24 months you are auto-denied no matter the credit worthiness), do you or anyone else know if it applies to upgrading a card? Here is my example why I ask, I opened a Chase IHG card on the behest of the manager at an Interconintental I was staying in a year ago. It's been fine, I only use it for when I check into IHG, which is not rare by any means, but I came to find out that Chase actually has two classes of cards for this IHG card and I got the lesser one (the traveler vs. the premier). Is an upgrade to the better IHG card (the premier) considered by Chase to be an inquiry and a separate card to get that would count against the 4? I ask because I can't get a clear answer from the chatbot or the website. I know Amex would just upgrade it and let you keep the same account numbers and log-ins, etc. but JPMC is no AMEX

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Most $0 annual fee and 0%APR cards probably have caps on how much cash back you can earn in a month or year. Does the school not charge you a 2-3% fee for paying by credit card?

It does but last year we were able to use a convenience check from the CC company.  Hoping for the same thing this year.

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Quick ? for the travel pros.  How long will it take me to get from terminal A to the international terminal (F I believe) at ATL?  

About 10 minutes on the train. The walk to the train from A and to your gate in F you can probably add another 5-15 minutes or so total.

2 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

About 10 minutes on the train. The walk to the train from A and to your gate in F you can probably add another 5-15 minutes or so total.

Do you have to go through security again?  My cheapest option has me going from DFW to ATL with 50 minutes between the connecting international flight.  That seems really fucking tight to me.

37 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Do you have to go through security again?  My cheapest option has me going from DFW to ATL with 50 minutes between the connecting international flight.  That seems really fucking tight to me.

No, you don't. The train is inside security. It's pretty tight, but doable with no delays. What airline(s) are you flying?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Quick ? for the travel pros.  How long will it take me to get from terminal A to the international terminal (F I believe) at ATL?  

If on one airline not impossible. Not optimum. 

IF on Delta check how many flights to final destination they have from ATL. If you miss original they can usually get you on next flight. 

If only 1 a day don’t do it. No matters whose fault your stuck at least 24 hrs. 

If 2 airlines I would NEVER do that. Reason is if you miss international flight, neither airline is responsible and theoretically you are stuck buying a new ticket. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

IF on Delta check how many flights to final destination they have from ATL. If you miss original they can usually get you on next flight. 

If 2 airlines I would NEVER do that. Reason is if you miss international flight, neither airline is responsible and theoretically you are stuck buying a new ticket. 

1 a day on Delta.  I never fly Delta because I’m DFW based, but they are the best option for this trip.  I’ll look at all of my options to get to ATL a little earlier.  Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

I'm going to disagree with this in part. The premise is there, but there are a couple of things to consider going forward:

-If two airlines in the same alliance, you don't have to worry. Someone is responsible and they will work together to get you there.

-Even if they're not, and they're bought using separate tickets, almost every airline has what's called a "flat tire rule," which would certainly be applicable for situations like this. It would take something truly extraordinary for them to make you buy a new ticket.

Where are you going, @conVINCEd? And when?

13 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

I'm going to disagree with this in part. The premise is there, but there are a couple of things to consider going forward:

-If two airlines in the same alliance, you don't have to worry. Someone is responsible and they will work together to get you there.

-Even if they're not, and they're bought using separate tickets, almost every airline has what's called a "flat tire rule," which would certainly be applicable for situations like this. It would take something truly extraordinary for them to make you buy a new ticket.

I did say theoretical. Also let’s face it the only partner airline from Dallas to Atlanta would be BA. Very unlikely that routing is going to be cheaper than direct from Dallas. 

I am just relaying info to try and make travel less stressful. Worst way to start a vacation is travel issues. 

Just realized I assumed OP was in Dallas. Doesn’t matter though. So much depends on op’s travel reasons. If my biz is paying I’m not as concerned. If I’m paying, big difference. 

Oh wait, I haven’t paid for travel in 20 years. All real flights are paid by company and all personal travel is using miles. 

Edited by Shaddie
Doh

43 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

I did say theoretical. Also let’s face it the only partner airline from Dallas to Atlanta would be BA. Very unlikely that routing is going to be cheaper than direct from Dallas. 

I am just relaying info to try and make travel less stressful. Worst way to start a vacation is travel issues. 

Just realized I assumed OP was in Dallas. Doesn’t matter though. So much depends on op’s travel reasons. If my biz is paying I’m not as concerned. If I’m paying, big difference. 

Oh wait, I haven’t paid for travel in 20 years. All real flights are paid by company and all personal travel is using miles. 

This is personal travel to JNB that will be paid for in some way with miles.   Direct flights from the us to SA are extremely limited, there are 2 that I am aware of.   I would like to make it work through ATL, because it shaves at least 7 hours off of my travel time.  Next best option is through one of the Middle East carriers which, while cheaper, I’d rather not do.  I’m off to Delta’s website to see if I can tweak the google flights itinerary.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

This is personal travel to JNB that will be paid for in some way with miles.   Direct flights from the us to SA are extremely limited, there are 2 that I am aware of.   I would like to make it work through ATL, because it shaves at least 7 hours off of my travel time.  Next best option is through one of the Middle East carriers which, while cheaper, I’d rather not do.  I’m off to Delta’s website to see if I can tweak the google flights itinerary.

Dafuq? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Dafuq? 

I would rather keep my number of hours at 35,000 feet to a minimum.    I hate flying, but accept it as a necessary evil to seeing some cool shit.  Total trip time through ATL is 18 hrs., total trip time through the Mideast carriers ranges from 25-35 hours. I want to get there as quickly as possible, and the ATL-JNB flight is the best way to get that done provided the cost isn’t insanely more expensive.  The last time I went it was substantially more expensive to go direct through ATL so I routed through London because that was the cheapest way to get there.  This time the cheap route takes me through Dubai or Doha, but the price difference isn’t so drastic, so I’d rather get there quicker.

On 6/30/2019 at 2:50 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

This thread is incredibly insightful and useful. I wish I had a lot of this knowledge a year ago. 

For a few years, my wife and I had our own SWA premiere cards, but with my work travel (2-3x per month mostly on SWA) my card was sufficient for status, companion, and necessary points to book recreational domestic travel. We canned my wife’s card to avoid the annual fee and put her as an AU on mine to get more spending points going to my RR account. However, I changed jobs in late 2017 with significantly less business travel, then lost SWA companion status starting 1/1/19.

I contemplated canceling my SWA card, waiting a month, then reapplying for a new 50k point bonus, but the stupid bitch at Chase told me my wife could open a new card and direct all points to my RR account. 60 days later, we see the bonus hit her count and we were like WTF? Chase says the first lady was incorrect and points can only go to account with same SSN between card and frequent flyer holder. Now we are almost halfway through 2019 and I don’t think I’ll hit companion soon, so might as well wait to run the “SWA scam” in early 2020 to get companion through 1/1/22. 

We plan to continue taking ~4 domestic trips per year for us and our two young ones between family visits and vacation, but we are completely reassessing our credit cards right now from ground zero. We don’t put a lot of travel expenses on our personal credit cards, but we do eat out a fair amount, so not sure about CS/CSP/CSR. The conservative play for our lifestyle seems like a cash back card like Freedom or some Discover card. I have always enjoyed Southwest, and would do the personal and business SWA cards if I get the full bonus (when I called this year for a business one, and I have a legitimate but very small $ consulting business, chase gave me shit about not having an LLC # from the State of Texas and wouldn’t issue the card. How do you normally deal with that to get a business card?). Or are we better off doubling down in the “Thunderlounge” method and applying CSR points towards our SWA travel? Most of our trips will be for 4 people, not 2, so companion only gets us about 25% free airfare (before cashing in points) and limits our travel to SWA (probably our favorite airline so not a deal breaker).

I have no new issued credit cards in >3 years and have never had a Sapphire. My wife’s only recent new card was the SWA (above) that she had for less than 90 days, we tore Chase customer service a new asshole, then they closed the account, refunded her the annual fee, but let her keep the 40k SWA points for the trouble. We have pretty evenly distributed expenses between dining, grocery, department stores, and shit off Amazon. From 2013-2019, we had traveled for free solely off SWA points (and free Marriott nights via business trips). Should the wife and I divy up the Freedom, FU, and CSR between us and can the SWA?

I know this is a very late reply BUT I would never use UR points for SWA flights. Get the SWA card and earn miles through your spending on that card. With UR points you will lose a lot of value by wasting them on southwest flights. 

17 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

1.  even if on a protected ticket, simply missing an international flight is a gigantic hassle given the scheduling frequency, checked luggage, other prearranged transport and lodging, etc

2.  flat tire rule is unpublished, unofficial, unguaranteed, and ultra sketchy especially given the above.  and a carrier today rescheduling you on another carrier (at a $$ to them) when they've got zero legal obligation to do it?  ohhh boy dont bet on that

32 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I know this is a very late reply BUT I would never use UR points for SWA flights. Get the SWA card and earn miles through your spending on that card. With UR points you will lose a lot of value by wasting them on southwest flights. 

Ok thanks. I am ignorant on Chase rewards. I assumed earning 2x with Sapphire Preferred (or 3x with Reserve) on travel purchases would earn points at the same rate the SWA card would have, with added flexibility that the purchases could come from things other than SWA; and that the points could transfer 1:1 for Rapid Rewards points to book flights on SWA. So the only thing I’m losing by not having a SWA card is I’m not building status on the airline. 

95% of our personal travel is on SWA or JetBlue due to the nonstop routes we take. If neither are closely tied with Chase Sapphire, should we look for a different travel card?

4 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

This is terrible advice. 

I transfer UR points to SWA all the time.

I earn points at 2-5x on Chase cards and then transfer. Coupled with my companion pass, we travel the US free whenever we want.

Why would you want to accumulate 1x points on the SWA card when you can multiply and transfer?

There are only 2 reasons to use a SWA Chase card:

1. to run the CP scam

2. you fly SWA for business frequently

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

This is terrible advice. 

I transfer UR points to SWA all the time.

I earn points at 2-5x on Chase cards and then transfer. Coupled with my companion pass, we travel the US free whenever we want.

Why would you want to accumulate 1x points on the SWA card when you can multiply and transfer?

There are only 2 reasons to use a SWA Chase card:

1. to run the CP scam

2. you fly SWA for business frequently

I think it depends on what your end goal is with UR spending. I save up for bigger trips so I can fly and stay at hotels essentially for free. SWA doesn't get me enough $/point to be worth it so I look at point transfers to that airline as being a waste of money.

14 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I think it depends on what your end goal is with UR spending. I save up for bigger trips so I can fly and stay at hotels essentially for free. SWA doesn't get me enough $/point to be worth it so I look at point transfers to that airline as being a waste of money.

Not sure, maybe I'm missing something. Like 4th above, I transfer points to SWA when flights are available for few points and then couple with a companion pass to get the highest $/pt value I see in all of my uses.

• Like 1

I just looked up a random flight. DAL to LAX. 4694 points or $87 so 1.8 cents a point. I'm getting 8-9 cents a point when redeeming through United or transferring to Hyatt or Marriott. So I think it depends on your end goal. I redeemed a flight from DFW to NRT at about 7 cents a point so I'd rather pay cash for southwest flights and earn points through the CSR rather than redeeming at a lower rate.

We fly AUS-BOS several times a year, so we never fly United because they don’t offer nonstop. However, my business travel has decreased dramatically the last 18 months to the point I lost Companion status and won’t get it this year either. I may do the SWA card two-step to jump straight into Companion status early next year, but for day to day purchases I wanted some cards with more utility than the Chase SWA cards. Since I don’t travel nearly as much as the points savants, I just was looking for advice on 1-3 cards to maximize what we are looking for (free/discounted airfare on SWA or JetBlue, cash back, maybe other rewards we didn’t realize we wanted or know about).

10 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I just looked up a random flight. DAL to LAX. 4694 points or $87 so 1.8 cents a point. I'm getting 8-9 cents a point when redeeming through United or transferring to Hyatt or Marriott. So I think it depends on your end goal. I redeemed a flight from DFW to NRT at about 7 cents a point so I'd rather pay cash for southwest flights and earn points through the CSR rather than redeeming at a lower rate.

My head just exploded. Thanks

11 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Bro....you hitting the sauce?

Explain your rationale…

A flight from DAL-LAX is $87.00 or 4,694 points on Southwest. That imputes a value of 1.9 cents per UR point. The same flight on United would probably be more expensive, but let’s assume that it was priced the same. United has a uniformed points redemption model. A domestic one-way flight is 12,500 United miles. So, at this valuation, you are receiving $0.007 cents per point. (Not to mention, United doesn’t fly this route direct from DFW) But let’s ignore that and say that the redemption valuation is identical at 1.8 cents per UR point. How is it better to transfer 12,500 UR points to United instead of 4,694 UR points to Southwest? You are expending an additional 7,806 UR points by going that route. Even if you are getting $0.02 per UR point based on the airfare cost, what advantage are you receiving by getting a better per points value when you are spending more UR points to achieve it?

With regards to transferring to Hyatt or Marriott, I don’t understand how this could ever be a good value except in limited circumstances where you are a little short on an award stay and need to top off. Even at a 2:1 exchange rate, it would cost you 12,500 UR points to get one night at a Courtyard Marriott with a redemption value of 25,000 points per night. That’s enough for almost 3 segments of flying DAL-LAX based on the model above. Or, since the actual exchange is 1:1, 3 roundtrip flights from DAL-LAX on Southwest. (Plus an additional 3 tickets for your travel partner if you have a Companion Pass) Assuming that the room costs $200.00 per night, which is average for that redemption level, you are leaving a lot of value on the table. Hotels are slightly better redemption values than gift cards.

• Like 1

Just posting up to say thanks once again to @Spankytoes who got me in the game years ago on TOS.

I just got back from 20 days in Europe. SAAver award from AUS-DFW-AMS (direct) at 57.5k in biz and DUB-DFW-AUS (direct) at 57.5k. Wasn't easy to get 4 DFW directs in biz done, but it got done due to some finagling, sheer determination to game the system and some luck. My kids loved the dreamliner. Then AMS-Marseille,  MRS-Caen, and CDG-DUB all on points. Hotels all over France on points. Dublin hotel on points. All I paid for was 3 days houseboat in Amsterdam, 2 days hotel in Bayeux, a rental car via Costco app (got bumped up to a Mercedes), and a first class train ride to Paris. It was a hell of a vacation.  

I tip my cap to you @Spankytoes

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Just posting up to say thanks once again to @Spankytoes who got me in the game years ago on TOS.

I just got back from 20 days in Europe. SAAver award from AUS-DFW-AMS (direct) at 57.5k in biz and DUB-DFW-AUS (direct) at 57.5k. Wasn't easy to get 4 DFW directs in biz done, but it got done due to some finagling, sheer determination to game the system and some luck. My kids loved the dreamliner. Then AMS-Marseille,  MRS-Caen, and CDG-DUB all on points. Hotels all over France on points. Dublin hotel on points. All I paid for was 3 days houseboat in Amsterdam, 2 days hotel in Bayeux, a rental car via Costco app (got bumped up to a Mercedes), and a first class train ride to Paris. It was a hell of a vacation.  

I tip my cap to you @Spankytoes

That’s awesome man. Thanks for the shoutout. I hope that more people travel the world playing the points game as it makes things extremely affordable. Half the fun is figuring out how to maximize your efforts to get the best value. I will be in Paris/Caen/Mont St. Michael/Normandy next month myself. 

10 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Explain your rationale…

A flight from DAL-LAX is $87.00 or 4,694 points on Southwest. That imputes a value of 1.9 cents per UR point. The same flight on United would probably be more expensive, but let’s assume that it was priced the same. United has a uniformed points redemption model. A domestic one-way flight is 12,500 United miles. So, at this valuation, you are receiving $0.007 cents per point. (Not to mention, United doesn’t fly this route direct from DFW) But let’s ignore that and say that the redemption valuation is identical at 1.8 cents per UR point. How is it better to transfer 12,500 UR points to United instead of 4,694 UR points to Southwest? You are expending an additional 7,806 UR points by going that route. Even if you are getting $0.02 per UR point based on the airfare cost, what advantage are you receiving by getting a better per points value when you are spending more UR points to achieve it?

With regards to transferring to Hyatt or Marriott, I don’t understand how this could ever be a good value except in limited circumstances where you are a little short on an award stay and need to top off. Even at a 2:1 exchange rate, it would cost you 12,500 UR points to get one night at a Courtyard Marriott with a redemption value of 25,000 points per night. That’s enough for almost 3 segments of flying DAL-LAX based on the model above. Or, since the actual exchange is 1:1, 3 roundtrip flights from DAL-LAX on Southwest. (Plus an additional 3 tickets for your travel partner if you have a Companion Pass) Assuming that the room costs $200.00 per night, which is average for that redemption level, you are leaving a lot of value on the table. Hotels are slightly better redemption values than gift cards.

My big point goal has been to save up enough to get business class to Hong Kong. I took 3 SWA flights since January 2018. Just assume that they're all wanna get away fares at $87 or 4694 points. That's $18,776 that I have to spend to make up the point difference on my CFU for everyday spending or $9,388 on my CSR for restaurant/travel. So I could pay $522 for 3 roundtrip flights and not have to worry about making up that ground or I could use points to pay for the SWA trip and either spend my way to business class at a price of $8900 or push the flight back 10 months. I'd rather pay $522 and redeem a business class flight for 5 cents a point than pay $8900 and redeem 3 round trip economy flights for 1.8 cents. 

He isn't willing to spend valuable points on cheap flights or hotels. I'm the same way.

I just booked 2 tickets on ANA F IAH-NRT RT. 240k UR points. Face value on those tickets is $46k. I would rather spend my points on that experience than booking several SW RT domestic fares throughout the year that I could easily afford. To each his own.

• Like 1

The point is to optimize your redemption over your own personal travel plan.

A fare might be 23k usd face value, but if you wouldnt have bought it for that much (and nobody else would have ever bought it for that much), it's doesn't have that value to you, in per-point calculation. 

If I would have never ever visited Japan, but instead paid money to visit my Aunt Sally in Portland a few times a year, then the points are better spent covering that expenditure than a hypothetical trip that'd never happen. 

There are people who have more points and miles than free time.  To them, those instruments are effectively worthless.

@thunderlounge @4th and 5 et al. Sapphire pro’s,

Chase is currently offering 60k welcome on CSP compared to 50k on CSR. Is it feasible to apply to CSP and then 3-4 months from now request a product upgrade to CSR?

Freedom Unlimited is currently offering 3% or 3x on all purchases for 12 months ($20k limit). I think I’m going to start with this and one of the Sapphires. 

22 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The point is to optimize your redemption over your own personal travel plan.

A fare might be 23k usd face value, but if you wouldnt have bought it for that much (and nobody else would have ever bought it for that much), it's doesn't have that value to you, in per-point calculation. 

Had this exact argument with a buddy. Not sure where I stand on it now/

13 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

@thunderlounge @4th and 5 et al. Sapphire pro’s,

Chase is currently offering 60k welcome on CSP compared to 50k on CSR. Is it feasible to apply to CSP and then 3-4 months from now request a product upgrade to CSR?

Freedom Unlimited is currently offering 3% or 3x on all purchases for 12 months ($20k limit). I think I’m going to start with this and one of the Sapphires. 

I’m not in a good spot to really give you a good response. I can take a better whack at it late Tuesday or Wednesday when I’m home. 

• 3 weeks later...