TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

Any tips on using the AMEX Plat travel rewards ($250 I think) when you are not traveling? 

I've been trying to justify this card this year where I'm not really traveling much. On top fo the Uber monthly credits you now have what $20 in streaming and $20 in wireless credits? I've found that through VZ I can take advantage of the wireless credits because to do that I need to pay with the AMEX which would essentially remove the already $20 credit I get for auto pay.

What are the others I'm missing to try and make this worthwhile?

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I've been trying to justify this card this year where I'm not really traveling much.

Same.  Without the travel credit you just have to take it for a bit.    That and the lounges for me are where you get the bulk of your fee back and both are closed out right now.

On 9/23/2020 at 1:45 PM, thunderlounge said:

So we have a september opening. Good there.

Next question is, when did you get your bonus? I'll have to double check, and will report back if its different than this, but I think the date goes by bonus awarded, and not the account date. Assuming that to be the case:

a) call chase and do a product change (downgrade) to Freedom Unlimited in the next few days

b) wait out the bonus anniversary

c) apply for CSP a couple days later

If the bonus goes back to 60k points between now and then, at least you're still getting UR points. :)

Paging thunderlounge.... I very much appreciate your advice and guidance in this thread.

I'm in an almost identical situation to midtown. My first purchase on my CSR was 9/21/16, the first annual fee was 10/1/16, and the 100,000 point bonus was on the 11/12/16 statement.

My next annual fee is due 10/1/20, which will be $450 for me + $75 for my wife as an AU. Yes, I know listing your spouse as AU is frowned upon, and I do typically get her the same promos as me (she had the original 100,000 point bonus on her own CSR which was then closed during the first year). So that's $525 total, which after the $300 bonus, I'm not sure I really get $225 value out of this card at the moment.

So I need to switch and I'm considering the same thing you just advised midtown. My understanding is this:

1. Call Chase now and request a product switch to CFU. There is $0 AF and I won't get the bonus, but it gives me a place to park my ~80k UR points.

2. Wait until December (I'm in no rush) and apply for CSP. There is $95 AF and current offer is for 80,000 points.

I'm at 3/24 on my applications currently. Will this process simply increase me to 4/24 (adding one for the CSP but not for the CFU)?

Also, can I put my wife on the sideline through this process and then get the same CSP bonus for her? I unfortunately don't have a record of when her CSR was opened, AF, bonus, etc. I'm assuming it was 1-2 months after mine. She is at 2/24 currently. Obviously I wouldn't list her as an AU on my CSP application, but does it matter if she is an AU on my CFU in the interim?

Thanks so much.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
21 hours ago, midtown said:
Same.  Without the travel credit you just have to take it for a bit.    That and the lounges for me are where you get the bulk of your fee back and both are closed out right now.

Toll roads count as travel if you have any near you.

You're confusing CSR travel credit with AMEX Plat airline credit.  CSR is any travel.  Including gas, toll roads etc.  With Amex you have to chose one airline and you are reimbursed for non-ticket related expenses.  Seat upgrades, drinks, wifi, etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Paging thunderlounge.... I very much appreciate your advice and guidance in this thread.

I'm in an almost identical situation to midtown. My first purchase on my CSR was 9/21/16, the first annual fee was 10/1/16, and the 100,000 point bonus was on the 11/12/16 statement.

My next annual fee is due 10/1/20, which will be $450 for me + $75 for my wife as an AU. Yes, I know listing your spouse as AU is frowned upon, and I do typically get her the same promos as me (she had the original 100,000 point bonus on her own CSR which was then closed during the first year). So that's $525 total, which after the $300 bonus, I'm not sure I really get $225 value out of this card at the moment.

So I need to switch and I'm considering the same thing you just advised midtown. My understanding is this:

1. Call Chase now and request a product switch to CFU. There is $0 AF and I won't get the bonus, but it gives me a place to park my ~80k UR points.

2. Wait until December (I'm in no rush) and apply for CSP. There is $95 AF and current offer is for 80,000 points.

I'm at 3/24 on my applications currently. Will this process simply increase me to 4/24 (adding one for the CSP but not for the CFU)?

Also, can I put my wife on the sideline through this process and then get the same CSP bonus for her? I unfortunately don't have a record of when her CSR was opened, AF, bonus, etc. I'm assuming it was 1-2 months after mine. She is at 2/24 currently. Obviously I wouldn't list her as an AU on my CSP application, but does it matter if she is an AU on my CFU in the interim?

Thanks so much.

You got it pretty much.

1. Product change to CFU.

2. wait until thanksgiving to apply for the CSP outright. 

The product change will not trigger an inquiry, nor will it take a slot. This is pretty basic, but think of your account being in a basic spreadsheet. One column is product type. It’s pretty much just switching that value from CSR to CFU. Obviously more to it, but the account itself won’t change. The card number may not, even. 

Unless you tell them otherwise, they’ll keep your wife as an AU. Won’t hurt anything and everything will be as it is now with slots and so forth.

2 hours ago, midtown said:

You're confusing CSR travel credit with AMEX Plat airline credit.  CSR is any travel.  Including gas, toll roads etc.  With Amex you have to chose one airline and you are reimbursed for non-ticket related expenses.  Seat upgrades, drinks, wifi, etc. 

Gas is not included, unless that is an extremely recent change. 

Tolls? Yes. Hotels? Yes. Air/train/bus tickets? Yes. Uber/cabs? Yes. Parking lots? Maybe, depends. The deciding factor on it all actually comes down to the category (code) the business classifies as on its payment setup. 

Example, you open a business and take payments through square. If you code it as a travel, or sub category of travel, business, it’ll trigger the extra points. 

A buddy of mine runs a shop and I keep trying to get him to recode his type so I get better points. He hasn’t bit yet. :D

Gas stations code as just that. Gas/grocery. Unfortunately not part of the travel category. 

19 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

The product change will not trigger an inquiry, nor will it take a slot. This is pretty basic, but think of your account being in a basic spreadsheet. One column is product type. It’s pretty much just switching that value from CSR to CFU. Obviously more to it, but the account itself won’t change. The card number may not, even. 

When I did the product change from Sapphire to FU late 2019, our number did not change.  

For those who carry Chase Ink, how do you link that account with your Sapphire to transfer the points there?  

That pretty much kills my thought to move to Plat. At least right now.

I don't really use my Amex Gold anymore (all spending is on CSR) and we zeroed out our points balance several months ago when we took a big trip.  Should I just downgrade it to green?  Just got the annual fee on the statement and I don't want to pay $160 to have a card in my wallet.  Does the green still get points?

On 9/25/2020 at 3:12 PM, thunderlounge said:

You got it pretty much.

1. Product change to CFU.

2. wait until thanksgiving to apply for the CSP outright. 

Unless you tell them otherwise, they’ll keep your wife as an AU. Won’t hurt anything and everything will be as it is now with slots and so forth.

Gas is not included, unless that is an extremely recent change. 

Tolls? Yes. Hotels? Yes. Air/train/bus tickets? Yes. Uber/cabs? Yes. Parking lots? Maybe, depends. The deciding factor on it all actually comes down to the category (code) the business classifies as on its payment setup. 

Example, you open a business and take payments through square. If you code it as a travel, or sub category of travel, business, it’ll trigger the extra points. 

A buddy of mine runs a shop and I keep trying to get him to recode his type so I get better points. He hasn’t bit yet. :D

Gas stations code as just that. Gas/grocery. Unfortunately not part of the travel category. 

If you do that and everything (on Visa, for example) clears as something other than CPS-Hotel, CPS- Rental, etc then Square will reclass him within 60 days, if not shut him down altogether 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

And how the fuck do you know whether youve drained the $300 CSR credit, besides calculating it manually.

I've traveled so damn minimally this year, but not sure if I've thrown hotels on it or whether they even qualify

Nm I burned through it in January.  BUT they credited me with only 296$ in January, and 4$ in preceding December...so how the fuck does that work.  I thought it was 300 on annual basis

9 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

What's your reasoning for the downgrade? Just don't want to deal with the annual fee?

I’ve got 6 months until I would theoretically be eligible for another Sapphire sign-up bonus. Also the covids have diminished the value of CSP as has been discussed (spending less on travel/hotels, less opportunity to redeem travel points). I’ve done better points-wise this year with the rotating bonus categories on the free Freedom cards, Discover, and my wife’s Amex Blue (6% on groceries, 3% on gas) and BOA Platinum (5.75% on all online purchases).

On 10/6/2020 at 10:25 AM, 52-80 said:

Anyone flying recently.  Do you need to do temp check, or proof of covid to board for certain routes or destinations?

Gonna fly Frankfurt to IAD to Houston with United

No issues coming back into the US on that route.  No tests required and no quarantine once you're back.  On United you'll have to wear a mask and answer a few questions (have you been to a hot spot country, do you have any symptoms, etc.),  but that's it.

Edited by b_p

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize ahead of time because this was covered above, I just want to make sure I have this right. I got my 100k CSR bonus on my 12/21/16 statement, due date 1/19/17. I just canceled my card before the annual renewal and signed up for a CFU to move my points. I now know I should have just leveled that down. The question is when I sign up for a new CSR card? I think it is after 1/19/21, or is it after 12/22/20? Thanks for the help. I’m in awe of you guys. I thought I’ve done pretty well working the rewards over the years but you guys are next level.

You are correct in that you fucked yourself a bit by closing and not downgrading. Not the end of the world, but every tick helps.

You would be free to apply from Dec 22nd and on. I would wait until after the first of the year though. Are you getting another CSR, or a CSP? There's a big difference, and I honestly would have to look up how long you have to wait between closing a card and getting the same one again (bonus qualifications aside.)

There may be no waiting period, and you can dump a card and then get another one within a month or so. There may be some stupid hidden rule about not being able to apply for the same product if you have closed it within the past year. I just don't remember when it's the same product. If you meant CSP, then all is well from 12/22 and on.

Now, if there isn't some weird rule in play for another CSR, "most" of the time people would tell you to jump on it ASAP, get your card number virtually (or have it shipped overnight if you ask really really nicely), then you would have a few days where you could eek out some of the annual credits for calendar year 2020. Most likely with everything going on, it wouldn't be so easy. If it were a week earlier, then maybe. But that's an awful lot of hustle right at Santa time as well, and could be a wasted effort. Easier to just wait until after the first of the year and go from there.

I was thinking about getting another CSR card. I thought I read in the thread above you could cancel, then as long as it was past 48 months all was good. Maybe I misunderstood that. I need to look at the benefits between the CSR and CSP I guess. When they upped the annual fee I wasn’t sure if it was worth the $250 fee (after 300 travel reimbursement). I liked the 50% uplift when going through portal on travel. I should probably look into it in more detail. The 100k bonus at the time made it a no brainer, especially for the fee back then.

It's been waaaay too long since I've kept up with the Chase Ur game but I wanted to ask the questions to your gurus.....questions that I'm pretty sure I know the answers to anyways.

I've had my sapphire preferred for just at 3 years.  When I got it, it was 24 months per sapphire for reward but it's since gone to 48. Theres no such thing as being grandfathered to the 24 is there?  Meaning I can't downgrade, then apply for a new preferred and get the 80k?

My wife is an AU on the same card.  I don't know how/why we ended up doing that and I know its stupid.  Obviously her account would be even newer.  Is she able to downgrade hers to a non-sapphire and apply for the 80k preferred?

I also noticed (remember, I haven't been paying attention) that the preferred is only giving 2% on dining now and my freaking freedom unlimited card with no annual fee gets 3%.  Cats living with dogs man. 

On 10/21/2020 at 11:12 PM, deft said:

I've had my sapphire preferred for just at 3 years.  When I got it, it was 24 months per sapphire for reward but it's since gone to 48. Theres no such thing as being grandfathered to the 24 is there?  Meaning I can't downgrade, then apply for a new preferred and get the 80k?

My wife is an AU on the same card.  I don't know how/why we ended up doing that and I know its stupid.  Obviously her account would be even newer.  Is she able to downgrade hers to a non-sapphire and apply for the 80k preferred?

My understanding is that the 48 month waiting period applies to everyone regardless of when you initially signed up. 

As for your wife, did she originally have her own CSR and get a signup bonus of her own? If so, then she has to wait 48 months from that date. You could both downgrade to the CFU and then leave her as an AU on that, then she would be free to apply for her own CSP or CSR once her 48 months have passed.

Perhaps thunderlounge can confirm all of this since he is the expert.

CSR users will now get $120 Peloton statement credit per year and CSP users will get $60 statement credit per year. As someone who recently bought a Peloton, this is useful to me. It may have been enough to prevent me from downgrading my CSR last month, but I can still follow through with my intended CSP application and 80,000 point bonus and collect the $60 credit. Seems like a win either way.

On 10/27/2020 at 7:49 PM, wild_turkey said:

CSR users will now get $120 Peloton statement credit per year and CSP users will get $60 statement credit per year. As someone who recently bought a Peloton, this is useful to me. It may have been enough to prevent me from downgrading my CSR last month, but I can still follow through with my intended CSP application and 80,000 point bonus and collect the $60 credit. Seems like a win either way.

My work already reimburses me for my Peloton subscription, so hey, free money.

So why do I still have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card?  My other credit card is the Chase Freedom Unlimited, which currently offers 5% back on travel, 3% on dining, 3% on drugstore and 1.5% on everything else.  The Reserve card has 3 points per dollar spent on dining and travel and 1 point for everything else, and from Nov. 1st until April 30th, 2021, you can get 3 points per dollar spent at the grocery store up to $1,000.  

What am I missing? It seems to me the Freedom card is the better card outside of buying groceries at the moment.  I guess if you travel a ton and take advantage of the airport lounges, the Reserve has more value.  I do plan on downgrading the Reserve to the regular Chase Unlimited card and then applying for the Preferred card to get the bonus, but my 48 months with the Reserve card does not roll around until April.  This is also the same time my Reserve annual fee is due.  :(  Anyway to avoid that fee when I do the downgrade and apply for the Preferred?

The only thing I see is you only get that 5% travel on purchases in the Chase portal. Those aren't always the best deals. Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you 3% on all travel and lodging (any hotel, AirBnb, and airline).

I think I'm done with the Chase Sapphire Reserve after 2021. Basically a $150 fee after renewing my global entry and $300 travel credit next year.

Edited by mycox

2 hours ago, mycox said:

The only thing I see is you only get that 5% travel on purchases in the Chase portal. Those aren't always the best deals. Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you 3% on all travel and lodging (any hotel, AirBnb, and airline).

I think I'm done with the Chase Sapphire Reserve after 2021. Basically a $150 fee after renewing my global entry and $300 travel credit next year.

You're right, I misread that. The 5% back is only on travel purchased through Chase ultimate rewards. So I guess travel/lodging and groceries go to the Reserve card then.  Freedom Unlimited for everything else.

I applied for the CSP after calling Chase to confirm that i met all the requirements for the spend bonus.  Applied 10/29/20.   A/O this morning still no approval but an email over the wknd saying they need to review my application.   I have an 800 credit score so I assume their underwriters were looking at my 5/24 etc.  I called their card application department and after a 30 min hold finally got someone.   Another hold and she came back on and said "we had to clear some blah blah on your application but you're approved"

Technical travel questions.   I went ahead and booked a trip in Dec.   Amex agreed to change my airline to United which I'm flying so I could use my $200 in airline credits.  I can upgrade my entire flight to either first or plus and use up all my credit.   My question is;  Do airlines drop their cost to upgrade as the travel date gets closer or do the prices go up.  TY

As soon as I typed this I went and looked at the seat upgrade costs and they'd gone up quite a bit in just two days so I went ahead and grabbed seats in plus for 3 legs and business class on second leg. 

Edited by midtown

On 11/9/2020 at 7:27 PM, thunderlounge said:

Bomb bomba bomb, ba bomb bomb bomb. 

Define what you’re looking for in a tip? General travel, games to the system, or what exactly?

Both, I suppose.  Anything that a beginning road warrior should know or do.  I've opened "loyalty" accounts to both Enterprise and National and already have one for SWA.  I'm waiting to get a travel card until things really open back up and my travel will full throttle.  Already pre-check cleared.  What else should I look into or be aware of?

17 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

already have one for SWA.

If you are going to be largely flying SWA.  Get a SWA credit card.   I got the 90k a few months ago.  Not sure what it is now.   If you time it right with cc points and miles and possible SWA Biz card you can easily find your way into a companion pass if you have an SO to take places. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Both, I suppose.  Anything that a beginning road warrior should know or do.  I've opened "loyalty" accounts to both Enterprise and National and already have one for SWA.  I'm waiting to get a travel card until things really open back up and my travel will full throttle.  Already pre-check cleared.  What else should I look into or be aware of?

Interesting aspect of it. Certainly. 

If going international even once in a 5yr period, sign up for global entry, and skip pre check. Do NOT pay for both, and GE has P-CK attached and GE is like $25 more than pck.

I always take a backpack as one carry on. One of the travel pro’s. Worth it. 

I keep things like chargers/cords/international power adapter. Shure/Shore (or whatever it is) in-ear monitors, laptop, an ipad loaded with offline tv/movies, 2-days worth of necessities, etc. 

I also take a 3-outlet power strip that has 3 usb ports as well. And also a small 6” usb fan. Finally, a big anker battery pack/power source brick thingy. Don’t leave home without it.

The general travel tips apply as well of course. Shit like travel light, don’t check a bag, even if free, unless you really, really need to. Saves all that time waiting for your bag to show up. 

If in the OneWorld camp, look into crediting to BA Exec Club. Once you hit BA Silver, things get good. It won’t get you on the upgrade list, but it will give you a lot better perks overall, like access to any one world lounge (Special access ones may require more) including international lounges like the Flagship Lounge. This is regardless of international or domestic travel. So I can fly ORD-DFW-LAX for example, and use all 3 Flagship Lounges. Without BA Silver (or higher) you would have to be flying past LAX to an International destination and be traveling in at least Business Class.

I’ll try to think of some more general stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Tell me your interest in the following

• International flights
  • Business class vs premium economy vs economy
  • Airport lounges and spending any time in them before flights
  • Hotel and how much you demand VIP treatment

There's so many options for you but it really depends on your interest in those topics.