TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

I never bothered with AMEX FHR stuff but realized it has a banging deal.  Staying in Park Hyatt Hamburg for $250 charge. 

FHR will credit back $200

amextravel will credit back $200

FHR will give $100 property spending

FHR will give breakfast

amex will give 5x points for the charge 

Net-net that's an insane deal. 

Considering ditching my CSR for Amex Plat before the increase this year. Not so much concerned with the delta in costs, but the CSR side benefits have gone to shit (I don’t own a Peleton and that’s not anywhere near as good as the previous Lyft or Doordash perks)

Still pretty easy to do a change of service with them and downgrade the card?

19 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I never bothered with AMEX FHR stuff but realized it has a banging deal.  Staying in Park Hyatt Hamburg for $250 charge. 

FHR will credit back $200

amextravel will credit back $200

FHR will give $100 property spending

FHR will give breakfast

amex will give 5x points for the charge 

Net-net that's an insane deal. 

I'm not very savvy playing the points game, but I do use FHR every chance I get.  Have had some good luck with room upgrades while the $100 spending credit, wifi and breakfast keep ancillary costs down.  

Checked in once at the same time as the couple traveling with us.  Buddy's wife was PISSED when they upgraded us and read off the perks, after they were just given their keys and told to enjoy their stay.  He was carrying and paid with the card but didn't book with FHR.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 10:54 PM, Sam Lin said:

I'm in a similar boat, the 200 travel credit is about all I can use. No Clear airport, no Uber, none of the random subscriptions/fitness clubs, and the hotel credit has been false economy each time I've compared booking through Amex vs booking the same thing outside for less.

Amex intro'd a new platinum perk a few months ago and coincidentally I was able to put it to use last week. Damage (or loss or theft) insurance for cell phones. I had overlooked the coverage because it was rather quietly rolled out a couple months ago. There's a $50 deductible and covers damage up to $800. My phone went flying as I exited my vehicle in some parking garage last week and the screen cracked, even though I have a reasonably rugged case on there. First cracked screen I've ever had. $320 for a new screen. I've never had cell phone coverage before but I guess I'll have to take it into account if I ditch the plat card. Though I will say the paperwork to file the claim took at least an hour.

Edited by Chopper

• 1 month later...

note this SWA promo

Here is how to receive your Promotional Companion Pass:

1. Register and purchase a round trip or two one-way flights by 9/9
  2. Travel by 11/18
  3. Companion flies free*Does not include taxes and fees from $5.60 one-way. Limited time. Restrictions apply. with you 1/6/2022 – 2/28/2022

21 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

note this SWA promo

Here is how to receive your Promotional Companion Pass:

1. Register and purchase a round trip or two one-way flights by 9/9
  2. Travel by 11/18
  3. Companion flies free*Does not include taxes and fees from $5.60 one-way. Limited time. Restrictions apply. with you 1/6/2022 – 2/28/2022

That sure seems like a lot of hoops for a companion pass for two months during a pandemic.  I guess if you have a trip to take in the next two months with another one planned in the first 50ish days of next year with a companion that makes sense. 

Edited by midtown

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, a lotta info in this thread, and trying to distill it down.  My only travel-benefits card has been the Chase SWA visa, as most of my work travel (and even domestic vacation travel) has been on SWA.  Has given us plenty of free tickets over the years, but our travel patterns are changing.  I'm traveling less for work, and as a family, we're traveling more internationally. AND, AA has upped its schedule game here in Austin, and in a lot of cases has more and cheaper flights from Austin than SWA.  So, here's what I'm trying to think through -- I'd like the following things, in about this priority:

1 -- a card that helps me rack up miles/status, PROBABLY on AA, but am open to the idea of flexibility

2 -- a card that has other travel-related benefits (lounge access, free extra checked bag, priority boarding, hotel deals/offers, etc.)

3 -- the various and sundry other benefits that can come with it (credit for things like streaming subscriptions, other miscellaneous shit)

I've looked at the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MC, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and AMEX Platinum.  But again, tough to sort through the pros and cons.  For what I'm looking for, what are y'all's experience and recommendations, and is there a card option that's NOT on my list, but should be?  

Thanks.  I freely confess to being rather naive on this topic -- we've just not been big/fancy travelers until recent years, and I've already wasted some spending on international flights without getting benefits, I'd like to start getting benefits when I do so.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay, a lotta info in this thread, and trying to distill it down.  My only travel-benefits card has been the Chase SWA visa, as most of my work travel (and even domestic vacation travel) has been on SWA.  Has given us plenty of free tickets over the years, but our travel patterns are changing.  I'm traveling less for work, and as a family, we're traveling more internationally. AND, AA has upped its schedule game here in Austin, and in a lot of cases has more and cheaper flights from Austin than SWA.  So, here's what I'm trying to think through -- I'd like the following things, in about this priority:

1 -- a card that helps me rack up miles/status, PROBABLY on AA, but am open to the idea of flexibility

2 -- a card that has other travel-related benefits (lounge access, free extra checked bag, priority boarding, hotel deals/offers, etc.)

3 -- the various and sundry other benefits that can come with it (credit for things like streaming subscriptions, other miscellaneous shit)

I've looked at the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MC, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and AMEX Platinum.  But again, tough to sort through the pros and cons.  For what I'm looking for, what are y'all's experience and recommendations, and is there a card option that's NOT on my list, but should be?  

Thanks.  I freely confess to being rather naive on this topic -- we've just not been big/fancy travelers until recent years, and I've already wasted some spending on international flights without getting benefits, I'd like to start getting benefits when I do so.

The Citi Executive MC gives you Admirals Club for you and up to 2 guests.   That's a $200 discount on the AC.  Earn miles on every purchase and 2X on AA purchases.  Free bag/pp

The AMEX Plat gets you Centurion Club access for you and 2 guests (but I believe the guests go away in a few years).  Platinum has a TON of goodies that basically make up for it's HUGE annual fee.  Points can be spent on a lot more things.  If you book points travel through their website many flights will get you a 35% refund of the points.  I just got 2 RT tix from DFW-SXM over Christmas for 90K points after the reimbursement.  Gets you Gold status at Marriott and Hilton.

Chase Sapphire Reserve as stated above is better than the Preferred - but more expensive.  Chase is subject to the 5/24 rule.  Reserve can get you some Club access.  Elite status with auto rental places - upgrades are nice.  TSA/Global Entry fee credit.  PRIMARY car rental insurance which is a BIG thing - any issues don't go through your normal auto insurance.

I'm a fan of my AMEX Plat.  Just seems all around to get me everything I want - plus it's good for the occasional "OOOOH, that's heavy" when you pay with it.  Oh and the Centurion Lounge is pretty nice - free drinks (not just well drinks, either) - free chef inspired food.

Edited by Ag with kids

The Citi Executive MC gives you Admirals Club for you and up to 2 guests.   That's a $200 discount on the AC.  Earn miles on every purchase and 2X on AA purchases.  Free bag/pp

Had this when I traveled internationally for worked, and loved it. Most of my travel was to Central and South America so AA worked great for me. One World also gave me access to other airlines that worked. 

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay, so it seems like the Citi Exec MC (for AA) or Amex Platinum are my top two.  Any other thoughts on these?  I really do appreciate folks sharing their experiences and recommendations.

Between those two, I'd say the AMEX Plat is the better choice.  Points are considered more valuable than the AA miles and are easier to use IMO.  LOTS more perks

$200 Travel credit

$179 CLEAR Credit (this is really handy at quite a few airports - especially since so many people have TSA Pre so the lines aren't that much shorter)

Centurion Lounge access (and Priority Pass lounges)

$200 Uber Cash

And more...

As you can see above, just those 3 credits above pretty much pay for the annual fee ($595)

Now...I don't really have much experience with the Chase Sapphires...so you might want to wait and have someone with more experience with them let you know if it's better than the Platinum.

The only downside I've found with the Platinum is that every once in awhile some place won't accept AMEX (paid a bill yesterday on my condo and that happened).

6 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Between those two, I'd say the AMEX Plat is the better choice.  Points are considered more valuable than the AA miles and are easier to use IMO.  LOTS more perks

$200 Travel credit

$179 CLEAR Credit (this is really handy at quite a few airports - especially since so many people have TSA Pre so the lines aren't that much shorter)

Centurion Lounge access (and Priority Pass lounges)

$200 Uber Cash

And more...

As you can see above, just those 3 credits above pretty much pay for the annual fee ($595)

Now...I don't really have much experience with the Chase Sapphires...so you might want to wait and have someone with more experience with them let you know if it's better than the Platinum.

The only downside I've found with the Platinum is that every once in awhile some place won't accept AMEX (paid a bill yesterday on my condo and that happened).

CSR does the following:

• $300/year travel credit
  • refunds Global Entry/TSA Pre for one person per year
  • Priority Pass lounge access (no Centurion, though)
  • Trip cancellation insurance
  • Primary rental car insurance
  • $120/year free Peloton membership

I am a big fan of the Sapphire Reserve.  Travel credit alone takes the $550 fee down to $250.  And it's broad enough that mine is usually used up in January.  I also have always had good luck with Amex, but don't see a reason to carry both cards.  Either one would work well, though.

I need some help with the best way to use credit cards to help with flights in summer 2023. Will be flying from DFW to Athens, and returning from Rome (family obligation cruise). 2 adults and 2 kids. Would ideally prefer business class. Only have about 90k American miles. Any suggested credit card strategies and carriers to partner with? Should only have 0-1 credit cards over last 24 months. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

On September 28 I searched car rentals on Expedia in the following cities for a sample October 23-30 trip. Here were the lowest available daily rates: 

• Austin- $65
  • Denver- $43
  • Honolulu- $32
  • Las Vegas- $36
  • Los Angeles- $26
  • Maui- $48
  • Miami- $11
  • Nashville- $43
  • Orlando- $20

Prices are getting lower.  Austin is nuts!

On 9/29/2021 at 8:25 AM, Brisketexan said:

Okay, so it seems like the Citi Exec MC (for AA) or Amex Platinum are my top two.  Any other thoughts on these?  I really do appreciate folks sharing their experiences and recommendations.

The amex plat doesn't give you free luggage but each year you are able to designate on airline for a travel credit that credits you back for up to $200 annually when you charge luggage or food/drinks on the flight of the airline you've chosen. AA is one of the airlines you can choose to designate for which to receive the benefit.

The amex plat doesn't give you AA lounge access. If the airport you're at has a centurion lounge you can use the centurion lounge. You can also use certain other airline's lounges through the (I think it's called) Priority Lounge program. However you have to be flying on that airline in order to use that airline's lounge. For example, Delta at AUS is available if you're flying Delta.

There are only 13 centurion lounges. AUS doesn't have one but DFW and IAH do. However amex is working on expanding the network.

I’m still waiting to visit one of the CSR affiliated lounges that doesn’t feel like a strip club with the lights on.   Plus they are always crowded with the travelers that think free food is preferable to something a little more delicious (not hating but seems like a lot of Indians and Asians).  

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

The amex plat doesn't give you free luggage but each year you are able to designate on airline for a travel credit that credits you back for up to $200 annually when you charge luggage or food/drinks on the flight of the airline you've chosen. AA is one of the airlines you can choose to designate for which to receive the benefit.

The amex plat doesn't give you AA lounge access. If the airport you're at has a centurion lounge you can use the centurion lounge. You can also use certain other airline's lounges through the (I think it's called) Priority Lounge program. However you have to be flying on that airline in order to use that airline's lounge. For example, Delta at AUS is available if you're flying Delta.

There are only 13 centurion lounges. AUS doesn't have one but DFW and IAH do. However amex is working on expanding the network.

FWIW, Centurion Club >>> Admirals Club

Admirals Club charges you for drinks if you're not getting well liquor or the bottom end beer.  And food selection is meh.

Don't get me wrong, though, it's better than NO lounge by a long shot.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:59 PM, shadetree said:

I need some help with the best way to use credit cards to help with flights in summer 2023. Will be flying from DFW to Athens, and returning from Rome (family obligation cruise). 2 adults and 2 kids. Would ideally prefer business class. Only have about 90k American miles. Any suggested credit card strategies and carriers to partner with? Should only have 0-1 credit cards over last 24 months. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I used to know a lot more about using points than I do now so don't rely on my word. But imo 4 biz class tickets using points for 4 ppl on the same flights to and from europe in peak season (summer) are likely either going to cost (more than) a ton of points or be really challenging to find. Of course the big unknown is what the economic situation looks like at the time.

I'm trying to plan a couple trips of my own and I'm in a new location/home airport, so I'm kind of making myself dizzy with status, points and miles details.

Here's an article you might find useful The 7 best ways to redeem points and miles for flights to Europe

Another suggestion is to look for a refundable ticket (not just changeable) that's affordable and purchase it now or soon. Consider that your backup plan in case all else fails. Then, closer to the date of your departure (6 months to a year out, again at 3 or so months, and then again within 1 or 2 weeks) you could then look for biz class using points and if you get lucky, get a refund on the tickets you're holding. 

Another option is to buy premium economy tix. Supposedly air canada has a nice prem economy cabin. On AA the main value of PE is that they're upgradeable to biz, if you find inventory, and include, I think, luggage and food.

You could also use miles to fly the family to either the east coast (re-position the fam), and then purchase tix or use points from that location. If you're intent on flying Biz class the money you save on a round trip ticket could make it worthwhile. The NYC airports or Boston can be good airports to try to target. Also Jet Blue just started flying to LHR from JFK. If you ended up at LHR, British Avios are supposed to be good currency for intra-european trips, and you can get 100k points on Chase sapphire reserve right now - those points are transferable at a 1 to 1 ratio to avios.  Chase points also transfer to KLM/Jet Blue or to Iberia or Jet Blue among others. However I was just reading that 100k offer is going away on Wednesday. Supposedly. For $95 for 100k points you can't go wrong

Also if you focus on what looks like the most straightforward and easy way to fly out of DFW by banking AA miles for say the next year or 18 months, be aware that there's a real risk that AA might, in the meantime, make it much more expensive, possibly even cost prohibitive, to use those miles by instituting "dynamic pricing." Delta already did it and that's why nobody talks about all the great, free Delta flights they scored anymore. AA is deeply in debt.

Edited by Chopper

11 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Admirals Club charges you for drinks if you're not getting well liquor or the bottom end beer.  And food selection is meh.

Flagship lounge over both of those. 

Flying AA, domestically, I can walk right into one and head straight for the self pour bottle of woodford. 

No questions asked. Welcome, Mr Thunder, if we can be of any assistance or an issue arises, we’ll take care of you. 

It’s glorious. If you fly international once a year (to Europe or beyond) it is easy as hell to get   that access with a few domestic trips as well. With a guest allowance too. How? Don’t keep points with AA, for starters. Instead, keep them with BA and use that number with AA or other oneworld members. 4 segments with a BA flight #, and 600 tier points. Sounds like a lot, but it isn’t. Domestic F nets you a minimum of 40/segment. That’s 160/round trip with a connection. Easy shit right there. 

The access to the agents is worth it alone of something goes wrong. 

Fuck crowded ass centurion or priority pass whatever lounges.

On 10/4/2021 at 3:21 PM, Ag with kids said:

Agreed. However, American has the Flagship Club in Miami that was really nice when we used it. Temporarily closed for now but I’m Centurion Club and Flagship Club now whoever we travel through Miami. 

26 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Agreed. However, American has the Flagship Club in Miami that was really nice when we used it. Temporarily closed for now but I’m Centurion Club and Flagship Club now whoever we travel through Miami. 

Don't have Flagship access...The advice above was a little cryptic in trying to get it too...

Now, I just did a status challenge with AA today so I'm Platinum now,.  Maybe that'll help.

9 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

segments with a BA flight #, and 600 tier points.”

Um….. yeah….

4 segments with a BA flight #, and 600 tier points. Sounds like a lot, but it isn’t. Domestic F nets you a minimum of 40/segment. That’s 160/round trip with a connection. Easy shit right there. 

Where do you tell me anything about BA Silver in this?  Or oneworld lounge access?

How do I get 600 tier points?  Is it related to  the 40/segment?  But, then, 4 segments only gets 160 which is <<< than 600 for the 4 segments.

Do you see how that could be a bit cryptic?

BTW, totally unrelated to the spat above...

If you're AA, check your account.  I had a Status Challenge to Platinum available yesterday.  3 months at Plat and you get to keep it if you meet the criteria, I think 12K EQMs and $2K EQDs or something close to that.

Allowed me to bump my seats for my next 2 trips up to Main Cabin Extra for the legroom at least.

Also if you're banking a shitload of aa miles like me, you might want to try to dwindle down that balance asap. Any miles rez made now can be cancelled for free and the miles redposited so if you can't use it, there's no harm, no foul. AA has not been subtle that there's a coming devaluation. I don't know how much time they'll give between the announcement and enactment.

10 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Also if you're banking a shitload of aa miles like me, you might want to try to dwindle down that balance asap. Any miles rez made now can be cancelled for free and the miles redposited so if you can't use it, there's no harm, no foul. AA has not been subtle that there's a coming devaluation. I don't know how much time they'll give between the announcement and enactment.

I looked at going Biz from Austin to Rome next summer and it was like 315K miles plus $850 per seat. wtf 

That's terrible.

2 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I looked at going Biz from Austin to Rome next summer and it was like 315K miles plus $850 per seat. wtf 

That's terrible.

Holy crap. I thought the current published mileage charge is about 240k miles round trip and that a saaver is just 120k. I think the only way to avoid the massive fees they charge for biz class flights to europe is to avoid flying into LHR. But there's probably only one nonstop a day scheduled right now. Either DFW, ORD or JFK to FCO, or JFK to MXP.

Another suggestion is to book 2 one ways instead of a RT. Easier to change it if you need and also easier to look for cheaper alternatives when scheduling. For example using the calendar search option for July 2022 on a DFW-FCO flight in biz class, there's currently a few 111k one-way dates, nonstop. (July 11, 12, 19,23, 30 &31). That's obv full price and I didn't test if more than one (seat) is bookable right now but if you have the miles and think you might be able to use  the ticket, I don't see the downside in grabbing it. What sucks almost as bad is the prem econ aadvantage ticket is almost as expensive (86k) as biz class right now.

edit: also from what I can tell some One World airlines -- Finn Air  for example, seem to currently make their ff mileage seats available to AA only within a couple weeks of departure. I've been playing around with a spur of the moment northern europe trip.

Edited by Chopper

7 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Where do you tell me anything about BA Silver in this?  Or oneworld lounge access?

How do I get 600 tier points?  Is it related to  the 40/segment?  But, then, 4 segments only gets 160 which is <<< than 600 for the 4 segments.

Do you see how that could be a bit cryptic?

Only if you have the IQ of a salad bar, or have a low reading comprehension, or most likely, running a fuck aggy mouth about situations you really aren’t smart enough on to just come out swinging. 

Asking instead of aggying out with shit comments about cryptic shit when it’s right there in black and fucking white. 

It wasn’t a class on how the BA program works, just what you need to hit. 

Yet again though, even in your last reply you still are so fucking off the pace you can’t grasp that somehow you managed to catch part of the conversation at the grown up table. 

We’re speaking now, so go mind your business. 

If you cared to fucking read any of it, you would know you answered your own fucking question. 

17 minutes ago, Chopper said:

If you're flying international biz or first on AA, lounge access is included, or at least it used to be.

International, yes. 

Hit BA Silver and you get access domestically too. AA doesn’t allow domestic access for elites (ck maybe?) and want you to pay for an AC membership. 

4 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

International, yes. 

Hit BA Silver and you get access domestically too. AA doesn’t allow domestic access for elites (ck maybe?) and want you to pay for an AC membership. 

No, you're right. Int'l only. It's definitely worth having status if you fly domestically a lot. That's an interesting short cut I didn't know existed. Still, my new home airport (DEN) is now dominated by UA and SW so One world status no longer has the attraction it did when I was in atx.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 I think the only way to avoid the massive fees they charge

Which is why I convert BA Avios to Iberia Avios and fly on Iberia.  Better redemption rate and you don’t get hit with the outrageous fuel surcharge.  Amex also offers a bonus conversion on Avios that exceeds 1:1.   You still get a nice pod for the flight and all the perks that go with it.  Make your connection through Madrid and spend a weekend there before continuing your trip. Or not but it’s a way to see another culture and visit another place you may want to spend more time in  

Spend a little time and learn the game. It’s not that hard and you can get a great flight experience every time. 

Caveat.  I earn a shitload of MR points through my business so your experience may not be the same as mine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/4/2021 at 6:50 AM, Cairn Horn88 said:

On September 28 I searched car rentals on Expedia in the following cities for a sample October 23-30 trip. Here were the lowest available daily rates: 

• Austin- $65
  • Denver- $43
  • Honolulu- $32
  • Las Vegas- $36
  • Los Angeles- $26
  • Maui- $48
  • Miami- $11
  • Nashville- $43
  • Orlando- $20

Prices are getting lower.  Austin is nuts!

So, the GF is flying tomorrow in to FLL to see her mom.  2 weeks ago, cars were $150/day.  I said fuck that, I'll check back.  For the last week, there are no cars available.  None.  She's taking the train/uber to Mom's. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

No, you're right. Int'l only. It's definitely worth having status if you fly domestically a lot. That's an interesting short cut I didn't know existed. Still, my new home airport (DEN) is now dominated by UA and SW so One world status no longer has the attraction it did when I was in atx.

I can see that. Are they not competitive, or looking at a lot of direct options vice a connection?

I’m kind of an outlier and will take a connection over direct if the times are alright. Twice the tier points per trip, etc. 

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So, the GF is flying tomorrow in to FLL to see her mom.  2 weeks ago, cars were $150/day.  I said fuck that, I'll check back.  For the last week, there are no cars available.  None.  She's taking the train/uber to Mom's. 

I have an appt to take my car for a little paintless cosmetic work at the end of November and the price is about what it was when I checked a couple months ago. About $100 a day for an economy. Fort Collins, CO.

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Which is why I convert BA Avios to Iberia Avios and fly on Iberia. 

I have a sl of amex points and i fucked up and forgot to take advantage of the last bonus for transfer to avios. I hear British avios are also good to use for purchasing short, domestic AA flights.

You're able to find good availability and redemption rates on Iberia I take it?

8 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I can see that. Are they not competitive, or looking at a lot of direct options vice a connection?

I’m kind of an outlier and will take a connection over direct if the times are alright. Twice the tier points per trip, etc. 

I try to fly direct but also it surprised me how few flights AA has per day out of DEN. They're all to AA domestic hubs and the departure times seem to suck. OTOH I'm also surprised how few int'l flights leave or arrive in DEN.  I haven't been up here long so hopefully the int'l flights pick up next year.

5 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Only if you have the IQ of a salad bar, or have a low reading comprehension, or most likely, running a fuck aggy mouth about situations you really aren’t smart enough on to just come out swinging. 

Asking instead of aggying out with shit comments about cryptic shit when it’s right there in black and fucking white. 

It wasn’t a class on how the BA program works, just what you need to hit. 

Yet again though, even in your last reply you still are so fucking off the pace you can’t grasp that somehow you managed to catch part of the conversation at the grown up table. 

We’re speaking now, so go mind your business. 

If you cared to fucking read any of it, you would know you answered your own fucking question. 

You do you....

5 hours ago, Chopper said:

segments with a BA flight #, and 600 tier points.”

That's 2 separate requirements, not one, @Ag with kids 

If you're flying international biz or first on AA, lounge access is included, or at least it used to be.

I understood that they were 2 separate requirements.  AA has requirements like that.

But, I thought he was discussing getting the status PAST that flight.

And WTF did the 40/segment x 4 = 160/segment shit  come into play in that discussion?

I'm going to guess that not everyone on here works for TPG and speaks in travelese....

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

I hear British avios are also good to use for purchasing short, domestic AA flights.

Absolutely. Did a nested one-way a few days ago. Through BA I got 2 tickets at 5k each plus the $5 and change tax. So 10k and $11 something total. Oneworld Sapphire meant MCE free. 

The funny shit is that the r/t around it nets me just over 5300 avios after status and cabin bonuses. So the avios used for the one ways are effectively covered from just that. 

If the travel pattern fits it can be a really great option.  

8 hours ago, Chopper said:

You're able to find good availability and redemption rates on Iberia I take it?

Absolutely.  Just have to play with dates a little at times.  Iberia also has a ton of off-peak days for the better redemptions.

You can transfer BA Avios directly to Iberia.  It's a bit of a process the first time but seamless afterwards.  Yes, BA Avios are great for AA flights domestically (short flights) but the availability isn't good from my experience in trying to book flights that way.  I just convert them from MR points when there's a transfer bonus so I always have a bucket of Avios.

I try to fly direct but also it surprised me how few flights AA has per day out of DEN. They're all to AA domestic hubs and the departure times seem to suck. OTOH I'm also surprised how few int'l flights leave or arrive in DEN.  I haven't been up here long so hopefully the int'l flights pick up next year.
Yeah, we have Frankfurt, Iceland and not much more direct (maybe Zurich?). You would think we would have more, but every international trip we take involves a stop somewhere in the US, which sucks.