I Like Pie

Armybrat

On 11/21/2020 at 2:16 PM, Buzzrock said:

One regular one bourbon chocolate. 

FEF58DD6-96EA-484D-A060-46B1ACC546F5.jpeg

Got a recipe for the bourbon chocolate?

Have you ever tried a pecan pie with cane syrup?  I'm looking for a good recipe since I have some Steen's left over from something else

16 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Have you ever tried a pecan pie with cane syrup?  I'm looking for a good recipe since I have some Steen's left over from something else

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/chocolate-pecan-pie-recipe/

I think it needs some tweaking. It came out kind of soupy and the crust didn’t want to release from the bottom of the pan. The result was kind of a mess instead of nice uniform slices. But it tasted awesome. 

16 hours ago, Spur08 said:

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/chocolate-bourbon-pecan-pie-recipe

I've been using that one for several years.  I toast the pecans, and I don't boil the bourbon with the first set of ingredients- I let the oil, etc. boil and then add the bourbon for just a minute or so, just long enough to let the alcohol steam off.  

I don't know how you all remember to take pictures before eating the pie. I've made a bunch of pies this summer and fall and have zero pics. But I also have a lot of pie eaters hanging around asking when they can eat said pies, so yeah. Anyway, in the run up to Thanksgiving my last batch was rhubarb last week (husband is always very fond of this one) and last night I made banana cream pie and thought of this thread AFTER we had already dived in, so I guess I ought to put a sticky note on the fridge or something.

A couple of pages back, someone asked about sweet potatoes? Here's what I do when a recipe calls for mashed sweet potatoes (whether for pie or for the baked casserole that has gobs of butter, walnuts, and brown sugar).

I scrub the taters and then boil them in lightly salted water for about 30-35 minutes until tender. Then I remove them to a plate and let them get cool enough to handle (but not completely cold) and slip the skins off. The skin usually peels off easily. I then toss them back into the drained pot, mash them, and then stick them in the fridge until I use them in a day or two. It always turns out fine that way and keeps me ahead when prepping for the big turkey day.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nice looking edges on that crust.

When I roll out the crust, I sometimes have a difficult time getting it even so that it is easier to form the edges. I go back and forth between a butter crust and a Crisco shortening crust. My mom preferred the butter crust, but my husband actually likes the shortening crust but it is finicky sometimes if you don't add just the right amount of water.

at the beginning of coronatime i made a strawberry pretzel pie from an NYT recipe that was pretty fucking epic.  you could put whatever seasonal fruit you want on it and it'd be great. 9" regular pyrex pie pan was a a bit small, you could probably use a 10" cast iron and have enough crust and filling. 

Edited by elfenix

We need to have a talk about meringue. No one in my family likes traditional American meringue aka 'calf slobbers'. They are fresh whipped cream all the way, or store brand whipped topping if I'm pressed for time. I'm not a novice baker so I know how to make it but as no one in the family cares for it, I seldom do. When making a lemon pie, for example, I just use a whipped topping instead of meringue so it becomes a lemon pie as opposed to lemon meringue. All of the custard based pies I make: chocolate, banana cream, etc have a whipped topping. They aren't opposed to egg whites in general, just meringue on pies.

Do you all think that there are some pies where that is heresy? Where it is necessary to impart the lighter airy texture?

I liked the meringue my grandmothers both made.  Some people fuck it up and it's terrible though.

I do like fresh whipped cream though too.

On a store-bought pie, there's no fucking way I'm getting their attempt at meringue.

I like meringue, don't always need it on a pie but it's a good touch.  Sometimes people add too much and you have way too much meringue-pie ratio going on and that can be a problem.  There are also the people Slorch mentions who just fuck up the meringue which I have never understood.  It's not some complicated procedure, you just have to not be a lazy ass and pay attention....which is probably why so many people fuck it up.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

My late grandmother used to scorch her meringue and growing up, I didn't care for it. Now she was a wonderful pie baker, taught me growing up, and I miss her so very much. But....after leaving home I did improve upon her meringue. So, it could be that it's a texture issue for them; mouthfeel is something that influences people's preferences. I get that and it's why I have no issue with it. Food is personal, so I enjoy hearing from others and make no trouble one way or the other.

My favorite will always be cherry, it was the first pie she taught me how to make. When you have stood together from young child to teen, watching and learning and listening to the stories as the flour was mixed, the crust was rolled out, and the filling carefully placed inside, you learn a lot more than just the art of the pie.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 4 weeks later...

I posted my pie in the wrong thread. I learned my Grandmother's apple pie recipe from my mom a few years back and have been taking requests from the in laws for Holiday dinners over the past few years. I also have a peach tree and this year for the first time it bore a lot of peaches. I skinned and blanched and then vac sealed them. I busted them out for a pie a few weeks ago. It's not as pretty but it was delicious. The blueberry I made here for Christmas Eve at the in laws is probably the best tasting pie I've ever made. 

50771599001_d1e6954777_c.jpg

50755345227_82a4dda2be_c.jpg

50755725088_fde3e40405_c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

• 10 months later...

No pics because I am incredibly forgetful about it, but this year's contribution was pumpkin pie, cherry pie, and southern peanut pie. All were consumed and enjoyed. We usually host, but this year met up with friends. They are from Georgia and already had a pecan pie ready and we were tasked with making the rest so I tried to bake a range of flavors. The peanut pie was in homage to their goober roots and was a big hit. Normally cherry pie is a summer pie, but my husband loves it so and is not a fan of pumpkin pie (I know, I know, but it's one of his quirks) so I traded apple for cherry.

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Damn that looks tasty, never had a butternut squash pie.  Love butternut squash bisque though.

Happy thanksgiving dude, hope your mustang is well.   It’s a pretty easy recipe- make 2 cups of squash purée, either by steaming or roasting (purée is just squash, mashed with 2tbs butter and a little salt and pepper), then to the purée add 1 cup milk, 2 eggs, 1 tsp onion powder, a little sage and 1/4 cup at least of good Parmesan cheese.  I added green onions because I had some, and sprinkled smoked paprika on top.  Bake on 425 for 15 minutes, lower to 350 and bake another 45 minutes until done.  I ended up wrapping the crust in foil for a bit. 

Next time I’m tweaking it and adding 1tbs of maple syrup just to give it a hint of sweet.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

42 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Happy thanksgiving dude, hope your mustang is well.   It’s a pretty easy recipe- make 2 cups of squash purée, either by steaming or roasting (purée is just squash, mashed with 2tbs butter and a little salt and pepper), then to the purée add 1 cup milk, 2 eggs, 1 tsp onion powder, a little sage and 1/4 cup at least of good Parmesan cheese.  I added green onions because I had some, and sprinkled smoked paprika on top.  Bake on 425 for 15 minutes, lower to 350 and bake another 45 minutes until done.  I ended up wrapping the crust in foil for a bit. 

Next time I’m tweaking it and adding 1tbs of maple syrup just to give it a hint of sweet.  

Yeah you to man.  The Mustang has been undriven since I've been living/working from the Beach the last 2 months, and wasn't ever able to get it down here (need to buy a trailer).

I've made the bisque before. This Christmas I'll try the pie recipe.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah you to man.  The Mustang has been undriven since I've been living/working from the Beach the last 2 months, and wasn't ever able to get it down here (need to buy a trailer).

I've made the bisque before. This Christmas I'll try the pie recipe.

Post the bisque recipe when you get time.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...