I Like Pie

Armybrat

• 1 year later...

Rhubarb pie is the goat IMO but it’s seasonality keeps it off a lot people’s radar.  

Best apple pie I’ve had in a long time was the apple pie I bought at Schobel’s in Columbus Texas about 5 years ago. Pic is from google.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Covri
Better pic of the top
  • Hook 'Em 2

Pumpkin pies are pretty easy to make, but you need about 4-5 hours to do it right. Whole Foods has a good frozen pie crust and filling. 

I want to make my own sweet potato pie, but I can’t find the filling anywhere. It is on Amazon, but you have to buy a prepper bunker amount in bulk. 

If you’re in Houston, don’t wait in line at Flying Saucer. Pie Factory off Bellaire Blvd is better and no lines. They’re sweet potato pie is phenomenal. 

My Granny make a pie that was out of this world. I only heard it called Mother's Pie, never knew the real name or if there even was one. It was sort of a cross between pecan and mince meat (but it wasn't mince meat or as sweet as straight pecan). We searched through her recipes, but there wasn't one. I guess it died with her, but what I wouldn't give to have one more slice.

It might be a version of this. It looks close, but I could have sworn there was chopped apple in it. Been 40 years since I had a bite so I could be wrong.

Firstly, this recipe does not use corn syrup, which is a major ingredient in most pecan pie recipes. The result is that this pie, while still being rich, does not have the heavy stickiness that so often occurs with pecan pie.

Secondly, there is something about the addition of raisins in this filling that creates an element of perfection that you never realized was missing before. The crunchy, toasty pecans pair perfectly with the chewy fruitiness of the raisins; combined with the silky, buttery filling and a perfectly flaky crust…well, say goodbye to pie as you once knew it.

You’re going to be ruined after one bite. Just like my uncle.

dsc03075-1024x768.jpg

I do have an affinity for a good Peanut Butter pie with Oreo crust.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

I love pecan pie as well, It’s in my top three. I’m in the camp of chopped fine pecans for the pie, I know lots of folks that prefer pecan halves. I also like chocolate pecan pie and bourbon pecan pie. I make lots of pies throughout the year.  Any of you pie dorks ever had a Jeff Davis Pie?  It’s so damn good, similar to a chess or custard pie. I don’t make it very often, wife thinks it’s overly sweet, which means I eat most of it. 

@RPM,  wish I could help out with a recipe for your grandma’s pie recipe, my grandma made mincemeat cookies but not a pie.

Edited by RMac5

On 10/16/2020 at 2:04 PM, Armybrat said:

First pumpkin pie of the year - tuning up for Thanksgiving...

B9F1C4A4-AA43-4CBC-9073-F352D369A413.jpeg

image.png

Same. Working on it. Except these are pies #3, #4 and #5 (in the oven). And as you can see from the Tupperware full of purée and the half pumpkin remaining to be puréed, there will be many, many more.

My 6-year-old planted pumpkin seeds last year. I told her they probably wouldn't grow; she planted them too late. The 23-pounder that's being processed/baked into pies here, and the 30-pounder not in the photo, say otherwise.

My Granny make a pie that was out of this world. I only heard it called Mother's Pie, never knew the real name or if there even was one. It was sort of a cross between pecan and mince meat (but it wasn't mince meat or as sweet as straight pecan). We searched through her recipes, but there wasn't one. I guess it died with her, but what I wouldn't give to have one more slice.
It might be a version of this. It looks close, but I could have sworn there was chopped apple in it. Been 40 years since I had a bite so I could be wrong.

Firstly, this recipe does not use corn syrup, which is a major ingredient in most pecan pie recipes. The result is that this pie, while still being rich, does not have the heavy stickiness that so often occurs with pecan pie.
Secondly, there is something about the addition of raisins in this filling that creates an element of perfection that you never realized was missing before. The crunchy, toasty pecans pair perfectly with the chewy fruitiness of the raisins; combined with the silky, buttery filling and a perfectly flaky crust…well, say goodbye to pie as you once knew it.
You’re going to be ruined after one bite. Just like my uncle.
dsc03075-1024x768.jpg

This right here. Shady Grove had one that kicked a shitload of ass.

Pumpkin pie is really good, and it makes me thankful a) for the autumn and holiday season and 2) that I'm not a basic white girl (as far as I know).

Sweet potato pie is superior, though... and I say this as a life long pie scholar and aficionado. But it's incremental- Pumpkin's range is 7- 8.5, Sweet potato starts with a baseline at an 8.5.

While I'm here, let me repeat myself and echo the testimony of my brothers and sisters in this congregation: Pie is superior to cake. Pie takes craftsmanship and artistry, Cake is a icing transportation device.

Edited by NWBuck

11 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Pumpkin pie is really good, and it makes me thankful a) for the autumn and holiday season and 2) that I'm not a basic white girl (as far as I know).

Sweet potato pie is superior, though... and I say this as a life long pie scholar and aficionado. But it's incremental- Pumpkin's range is 7- 8.5, Sweet potato starts with a baseline at an 8.5.

While I'm here, let me repeat myself and echo the testimony of my brothers and sisters in this congregation: Pie is superior to cake. Pie takes craftsmanship and artistry, Cake is a icing transportation device.

You're eating the wrong cakes.  Tres leches and tiramisu are as good as any pie (except fur pie) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You're eating the wrong cakes.  Tres leches and tiramisu are as good as any pie (except fur pie) 

That's true (especially Tres leches)... but as a category, Pie is still superior.

(and let's not kid ourselves... I'm still eating both pie and cake like a stoned Johnny Cash)

QkK57RM.png

On 10/18/2020 at 8:50 AM, RPM said:

Based on Page 1 of this thread, I'm guessing she told you the recipe and you just forgot it

And apple pie a la mode, chocolate pie, pecan pie, pumpkin

Edited by Spur08
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

mind expanding on this almond butter glaze?!

Butter, sugar, almond extract, water. heat and melt and reduce a bit on the stove. Stab the pound cake a zillion times with a toothpick. brush over glaze, so it soaks way down into the cake. Let dry

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Another brother here. I would add apple to the pie list. German Chocolate Cake is the best cake ever created.

MyMan.gif

I'll eat apple but it would be further down the list. I go through phases on pumpkin, hate it, love it, hate it, etc...  have never tried sweet potato pie but I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes.  And I'd probably go Pie, Cobbler, Cake in that order. 

re: Almond Butter Glaze

18 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Butter, sugar, almond extract, water. heat and melt and reduce a bit on the stove. Stab the pound cake a zillion times with a toothpick. brush over glaze, so it soaks way down into the cake. Let dry

hilariously enough, I was thinking of almond butter glaze - not an almond + butter glaze

thanks for the info haha can't believe I screwed that one up

Star Trek Reaction GIF

• 4 weeks later...

I like cake too, but had never cared for the bunt or rum types until we got a recipe from my SIL. Damn good (Chopped pecans baked into the top with a Bacardi rum glaze soaked in nicely) especially with a scoop of ice cream. This one - Mrs. Brat’s second effort - is for our granddaughter’s 28th birthday (no pics).

CFEC0003-1A6A-4E3B-BA2A-7ED5DEC1D7CB.jpeg