Game 5: Texas vs. UNC, 6:30 PM, FS1

Machinator

54 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

J’Covan’s performance at Allen Fieldhouse in ‘11 is probably the best in a big win in recent memory, but this game by Roach is up there as well.

oh yeah, that was another great one. he came out hot and didn't let up. mercurial for sure, but when he was rolling it was awesome. 

I had to watch on DVR, so I didn't follow the thread, and I don't have it in me to go back and review.  Two questions:

1.  why the hell didn't Roy stay with the zone?  One alley oop and he bailed.  That is not our bread and butter play.

2.  was I high (no) or was there nowhere near 1.4 seconds left on the clock when UNC called that last timeout?  The announcers kept talking as if it was a done deal, and I kept thinking "he signaled at about 0.8 seconds".

We've been wanting to see havoc, which this wasn't , since Shaka got here, but this was closer than I can recall.  It's about all we can throw at opponents.  I think there are two dozen teams (at least) that could deal with us fairly easily, but in a weird way I'm not sure UNC is that overrated.  I just think we have very little answer when forced to create shots other than dribble drive, and our defensive letdowns (box out anyone? several times it was maddening) just drive me nuts.

Regardless, great win.  Hope they don't read their press.

51 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

It was close. Coby White was awesome, and the battle they had was epic. 

Offensively it was close. Defensively it was not. Roach clearly was better overall. It wasn't close. White was just plain bad on defense. Williams complained about his defense at half  and it's probably why white had some quality bench time in the second half.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Does Shaka get some credit for Roach's development or nah?

I'm sure he's partially responsible, but Roach also has a personal coach who he trains with a crazy amount of the time. Roach has seriously put in the work during off days and the off-season. He's a gym rat. 

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I had to watch on DVR, so I didn't follow the thread, and I don't have it in me to go back and review.  Two questions:

1.  why the hell didn't Roy stay with the zone?  One alley oop and he bailed.  That is not our bread and butter play.

2.  was I high (no) or was there nowhere near 1.4 seconds left on the clock when UNC called that last timeout?  The announcers kept talking as if it was a done deal, and I kept thinking "he signaled at about 0.8 seconds".

We've been wanting to see havoc, which this wasn't , since Shaka got here, but this was closer than I can recall.  It's about all we can throw at opponents.  I think there are two dozen teams (at least) that could deal with us fairly easily, but in a weird way I'm not sure UNC is that overrated.  I just think we have very little answer when forced to create shots other than dribble drive, and our defensive letdowns (box out anyone? several times it was maddening) just drive me nuts.

Regardless, great win.  Hope they don't read their press.

1.   I first guessed that too at the time.

2.  Had the same question.  All I could figure was that their coach was calling it before the player.  But you could not see that on replay so then why would they go to the replay.  Anyway if we make a couple more free throws down the stretch that wouldn't have matter.  I mean, DO airballed one

Some here wonder why we don’t play that way all the time and here’s the reason.

UNC and Michigan st have top rated athletes and will play man the majority of the time which actually helps Texas to utilize our athletic ability. It’s hard to play uptempo when teams play pack the lane zone, unc played tight man and didn’t sag a lot but I expect that to change tonight with MSU. 

Texas will always look better against teams that play tight intense man defense and not look good against teams that run 2-3 zones or matchup zones or even the old “pack line” man defense which keeps 2-3 guys always guarding drive lanes into box. I actually love the pack line defense as it guards the lane and keeps all the shooters in front of your face and you can recover out to 3 point shooters. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

He wasn’t always that way....Shaka has made a difference.

sure, his head coach has had some impct on him, but the overwhelming majority of Roach's work on his personal game and his personal goals has come with his trainer on his own time. Talking upwards of 90%of the work on his individual game. The credit goes to Roach for working tirelessly to improve his own game. Roach works with his trainer first, then his position coach (Lucas) when it comes to his own personal growth. His head coach spends very little time working with him on his game, because that's just not his job at the end of the day. 

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

sure, his head coach has had some impct on him, but the overwhelming majority of Roach's work on his personal game and his personal goals has come with his trainer on his own time. Talking upwards of 90%of the work on his individual game. The credit goes to Roach for working tirelessly to improve his own game. Roach works with his trainer first, then his position coach (Lucas) when it comes to his own personal growth. His head coach spends very little time working with him on his game, because that's just not his job at the end of the day. 

Not the coaches job? Thats absurd even for you.  You have no idea how much time he spends with his players. Does that go for Coach Barnes as well or is it just you attempting to take a cheap shot at Coach Smart.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Not the coaches job? Thats absurd even for you.  You have no idea how much time he spends with his players. Does that go for Coach Barnes as well or is it just you attempting to take a cheap shot at Coach Smart.

Yes it absolutely goes for Coach Barnes as well. This is common knowledge, so your incredulity perplexes me. Shaka has about 100 things in his every day list that are ahead of "work one in one with Kerwin Roach". We don't pay him millions of dollars a year to personally tutor one player, we pay him to oversee the men's basketalll program at Texas. There aren't near enough hours in the day for the HC to spend a substantial amount of time working one on one with his players, players who are also students and who have NCAA sancrioned limits on practice time at school.

Also, yes I do know how much time they spend together. Aside from just generally knowing how college basketball works, todays player broadcasts his entire life on social media. I've watched Roach participating in these workouts for his entire career. It's right there for anyone to see.

Your combative nature is such a goddamn beating. 

• Fuck You 1

57 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Just so I’m clear, if the player develops it’s on him. When he doesn’t, it’s Shaka’s fault?

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Just so I’m clear, if the player develops it’s on him. When he doesn’t, it’s Shaka’s fault?

are we still talking about Kerwin Roach, or are you making up some dumbass hypothetical in hopes of starting an argument? Jesus fucking christ you people are ridiculous. How in the hell did you turn this into something about Shaka? And why haven't you you quoted anything specific that I've said if you disagree? And in the one who starts shit. Christ that's fucking dense.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

Jesus christ you fucking mongoloid, you are bending over backwards to start a fight about Shaka Smart. 

Like seriously, you have to not know jack shit about college hoops to even be asking this stupid shit. Individual players have unlimited time to work out a personal trainer. This is where the overwhelming majority of work on a player's personal game comes from. It's up to the player how much time he spends doing this, and Kerwin Roach has spent an exorbitant, commendable amount of time on this. Praising him for this has nothing to do with Shaka. I never made it about dissing Shaka, your dumb ass did. I even said that the exact same thing goes for Rick Barnes, and every other fucking coach in the country. 1)Personal trainer 2)Position coach 3)Head coach. That's the order, and it ain't spread out evenly.

Shaka is responsible for running the entire program; every player, all of his assistants, practice regimens, study hall, diet and nutrition, strength training and cardio,recruiting, traveling, doing ambassador and representative work, studying film, game planning, and in and on and on. He does not have time to be fucking around with individual players and working with them like a personal trainer whose sole purpose is personal growth does. This is the same for every college coach in america. Fuck you for not knowing this, and fuck you for making this into some diss on Shaka Smart. Don't you ever have the gall to complain about me dissing him again. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

wow. so you ask about Roach's progression, refuse the answer that you get because you don't like it, you somehow warp the conversation into a fight about Shaka, insisting that I'm dissing him when i'm clearly not, and now you're neg repping every post I've made. Take it from me, that is some grade A derka'ing you've just done. Top notch stuff, that's exactly how it's done. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

wow. so you ask about Roach's progression, refuse the answer that you get because you don't like it, you somehow warp the conversation into a fight about Shaka, insisting that I'm dissing him when i'm clearly not, and now you're neg repping every post I've made. Take it from me, that is some grade A derka'ing you've just done. Top notch stuff, that's exactly how it's done. 

You started negging them first, don't go there.

3 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

You started negging them first, don't go there.

because his posts deserved a neg. serially neg repping someone for answering your questions is some childish, petty shit. negging posts which deserve to be negged on merit is SOP. Not even remotely similar. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

Ill give you a concrete example to illustrate my point. Roach just took a step back jumper, off the dribble from the right elbow. How many times do you think Roach has worked on that exact shot during Texas practices? How much time do you think we dedicate during a practice to Kerwin Roach practicing tgat shot? The answer is "not a lot". Now how many times do you think he's practiced that exact shot with his trainer? Hundreds? Thousands? Too many to count? Well there you go. This shit is obvious, and you are oblivious. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Ill give you a concrete example to illustrate my point. Roach just took a step back jumper, off the dribble from the right elbow. How many times do you think Roach has worked on that exact shot during Texas practices? How much time do you think we dedicate during a practice to Kerwin Roach practicing tgat shot? The answer is "not a lot". Now how many times do you think he's practiced that exact shot with his trainer? Hundreds? Thousands? Too many to count? Well there you go. This shit is obvious, and you are oblivious. 

For whatever reason, basketball coaches are actually allowed to spend much more time with their players during the offseason than football coaches. In fact, most of the work they do during the offseason are individual workouts. So I'm guessing that Shaka spent a considerable amount of time with Roach on stuff like that during the offeseason. However your overall point is true, much of the work done by Roach was on his own with a skills coach/trainer. Somehow I doubt you'd become this pendantic if the subject of improvement was about our post players and Darren Horn's work with them. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

you don't know shit about fuck, and you just went way out of your way to invent a fight about shaka with me. who's an idiot?

You're the idiot because you have no clue what you're talking about. There is a lot more to development than being in the gym. You think that because you see something on social media, you know whats going on. You have no clue. You don't know crap about Roach or any other player.. You're a fan who thinks that he knows more than you do. And you didn't answer 512's question.

Do the board a favor. Go start your own thread...Shaka Sucks and just make all of your posts there. That way we can actually have discussions with out our resident fan know it all. And on the thread, you can whine about Ehlinger as I believe you have done on the past.

57 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

For whatever reason, basketball coaches are actually allowed to spend much more time with their players during the offseason than football coaches. In fact, most of the work they do during the offseason are individual workouts. So I'm guessing that Shaka spent a considerable amount of time with Roach on stuff like that during the offeseason. However your overall point is true, much of the work done by Roach was on his own with a skills coach/trainer. Somehow I doubt you'd become this pendantic if the subject of improvement was about our post players and Darren Horn's work with them. 

My response is 100% due to the fact that Kerwin Roach has put in an exorbitant amount of work in on his own time, a point which I've made and maintained from the beginning. It's a fact. The question was about Roach's personal growth, and in his specific case his growth is overwhelmingly due to the work that he has put in on his own time with his trainer. That's simply the truth of the matter.

Actually if we're being honest what happened was that the original question was posited in a way where the OP was looking for some sort of congratulations towards Shaka Smart for his role in Roach's growth, and when it turned out that Roach has been working tirelessly on his own time to become a more well rounded player then OP went full Derka. So you'll have to excuse me if I roll my eyes and scoff at the idea that *I* am the one with ulterior motives here. 

I may not believe in Shaka as a head coach at this level (not yet- one day though), and I may not like the job that he's done at Texas, but at least my opinions and feelings on the matter are honest and fact based, and posited in the appropriate forums. I say what I believe when it's the appropriate time and place to do so, and if it's not always popular, at least I'm not going out of my way to shit on the guy, which is more than I can say for several posters here in regards to starting shit with me. Revolution512 is just the latest to do so. This entire argument has been completely invented and is insanely childish, and I haven't said a bad word about Shaka Smart during any of it. It's only other posters who have relentlessly inserted the "Shaka sucks" slant into this discussion, and the lack of self awareness there is frankly pathetic.

And finally, not that I haven't already said as much, but I don't give Rick Barnes credit for DJ Augustin mastering the Steve Nash style of play while he was at Texas, because the majority of that work was done by Augustin and his trainers and cohorts on his own time. In fact I don't recall ever once saying that Rick Barnes was responsible for any individual player's growth as it pertains to his active skill set ever, so the idea that I'm dissing Shaka by saying the same about him and his impact on Roach's growth is laughable. This has literally nothing to do with either coach, no matter how much R512 wants it to.

The head coaches are responsible for player growth within their own system first and foremost, and they simply just do not spend as much time doing one on workouts individual training with players as their trainers do. It's a fact. It didn't always used to be this way, but it has been this way for some time now, and the fact that my pointing this out has turned into such a giant clusterfuck is par for the course when it comes to this board. We have a cadre of posters who've decided that everything I post is incendiary, and they must take exception to everything I say, never once stopping to ask themselves if they aren't doing the very thing they accuse me of in regards to my feelings towards Shaka. Had Machinator been the one to respond to R512 none of this would have ever taken place, and that is a fact. The problem wasn't what I said, the problem was that I was the one who said it.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

My response is 100% due to the fact that Kerwin Roach has put in an exorbitant amount of work in on his own time, a point which I've made and maintained from the beginning. It's a fact. The question was about Roach's personal growth, and in his specific case his growth is overwhelmingly due to the work that he has put in on his own time with his trainer. That's simply the truth of the matter.

Actually if we're being honest what happened was that the original question was posited in a way where the OP was looking for some sort of congratulations towards Shaka Smart for his role in Roach's growth, and when it turned out that Roach has been working tirelessly on his own time to become a more well rounded player then OP went full Derka. So you'll have to excuse me if I roll my eyes and scoff at the idea that *I* am the one with ulterior motives here. 

I may not believe in Shaka as a head coach at this level (not yet- one day though), and I may not like the job that he's done at Texas, but at least my opinions and feelings on the matter are honest and fact based, and posited in the appropriate forums. I say what I believe when it's the appropriate time and place to do so, and if it's not always popular, at least I'm not going out of my way to shit on the guy, which is more than I can say for several posters here in regards to starting shit with me. Revolution512 is just the latest to do so. This entire argument has been completely invented and is insanely childish, and I haven't said a bad word about Shaka Smart during any of it. It's only other posters who have relentlessly inserted the "Shaka sucks" slant into this discussion, and the lack of self awareness there is frankly pathetic.

And finally, not that I haven't already said as much, but I don't give Rick Barnes credit for DJ Augustin mastering the Steve Nash style of play while he was at Texas, because the majority of that work was done by Augustin and his trainers and cohorts on his own time. In fact I don't recall ever once saying that Rick Barnes was responsible for any individual player's growth as it pertains to his active skill set ever, so the idea that I'm dissing Shaka by saying the same about him and his impact on Roach's growth is laughable. This has literally nothing to do with either coach, no matter how much R512 wants it to.

The head coaches are responsible for player growth within their own system first and foremost, and they simply just do not spend as much time doing one on workouts individual training with players as their trainers do. It's a fact. It didn't always used to be this way, but it has been this way for some time now, and the fact that my pointing this out has turned into such a giant clusterfuck is par for the course when it comes to this board. We have a cadre of posters who've decided that everything I post is incendiary, and they must take exception to everything I say, never once stopping to ask themselves if they aren't doing the very thing they accuse me of in regards to my feelings towards Shaka. Had Machinator been the one to respond to R512 none of this would have ever taken place, and that is a fact. The problem wasn't what I said, the problem was that I was the one who said it.

No, the problem is what you said AND that you said it. Your opinion is always right and everyone else is always wrong. You're wrong a lot more that you're right. No one cares that your feelings got hurt when Coach Smart became our newest coach and since you haven't been paying attention, last night he beat a Hall of Fame coach and tonight, he gave another HOF coach all he could handle.

Like I said earlier,, go start your own thread.