Hardiplank

After a year or so of putting it off, I had some rotted siding abutting our roof replaced with hardiboard.  Best suggestion I could offer, depending on how big the job is is find a reliable one-dude carpetry type operation and get him to source the material.  The markup was almost nothing in our case and the labor was super reasonable.  Lining up a few projects for this guy in the future.  

They have made a lot strides in OSB type siding in the past years.  I use a little local lumberyard and he's been supporting something like the Louisiana Pacific Smartside Siding.

He is saying the dust off the Hardie Plank product is getting to be problematic.  "Stuff will kill you."   I think he means for installation.  Also the Hardie product doesn't have much texture, it's pretty bland, especially the 4x8 sheets.

I am looking at the shakes and shiplap siding for to replace some old vinyl siding. 

They also make soffit and fascia boards to match.

16 hours ago, woohorn said:

I had some hardiplank on my gable (horizontal planks) split in half and wondered about the warranty.
Is it that great a product?

True Hardiplank comes with a 50 year warranty. We’ve had ours for 20 years now without one problem. Great stuff.