Top Chef: Kentucky

spystud13

7 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

Very happy with the result.   From the beginning, at just about every challenge Kelsey put out the dish I would most like to eat.  And, slowly I recognized that not only was it good, soulful cooking, it was pretty damn sophisticated too.  Plus, she seemed like a good person who knew how to throw a good party.  I'd do a tasting menu at her restaurant tomorrow.

100% agree. it doesn't have to be fancy or crazy to be great food.

That sucked for Eric, and I agree with those who thought it was unfair to eliminate one after the first course.  A whole season of competition, you are going to send one of the final three home like that?  Whatever.  I understand why Eric chose his dish for the first course, but I wish he had done something a little more subtle.  I also thought choosing Michelle was a mistake.  The last person to get eliminated is always a bit shell shocked and not ready to bring it all for someone else.  In the least, Eric should have taken charge of every component of the appetizer to make sure it was perfect.  I think he peaked too soon.

Sara and Kelsey both really stepped it up at the end of the season.  I'm still not a Sara fan, but have to give her credit for bringing it when it mattered most. 

I thought Kelsey drafted extremely well. She got the one with Asian knowledge and a guy with good knife skills. Both went home early so they wouldn’t be pissed to be a sous chef and would be great supporters and hard workers. 

Sara also did well by choosing Eddie and then cooking two meat courses. He crushed them. I thought he should of won the whole thing. 

Happy that Kelsey won and I was fooled by the editing.  Thought Sara was gonna take it.  Did not like the way the finale was structured.  Both with Eric going out after one dish and the courses not being served head to head.  Good season overall.  

Any guesses for the location next season?  They've not done an international season yet.

The judges must have one hell of a palette.  Duh.  For example, the final.  I have no idea how they can go through 8 rounds of judging and not be influenced by how full they are.  When I'm really hungry, In & Out tastes gourmet to me.  Consequently, by the time I've had, say, 7 rounds of food, ain't nothing going to taste good to me.  I always assumed those that went last - restaurant wars for example - were at a disadvantage.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:54 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I did not, but that doesn't surprise me.  She kind of had a shitty, passive-aggressive attitude.

she was also the most average chef in the competition.  Never did anything that was great, but never went home due to never really making an giant error either.  She was a solid yet unspectacular chef pretty much the entire time.  And she seemed pretty petty to boot.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I still want a texas re-do an focus on one city.  I'd like it to be Houston with such an international cuisine theme and I think gulf coast cuisine in general is an interesting melting pot, but would be find with just dallas, Austin or san Antonio.  Their texas season was frankly terrible with every shitty texas cliché known to man and no real focus.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have a cast. Still 3 months away though (March 19). 

Facing off against each other in Season 17 will be 15 chefs, including finalists, frontrunners, and fan favorites, from seasons past:

• Eric Adjepong (Season 16: Kentucky)
  • Karen Akunowicz (Season 13: California)
  • Jennifer Carroll (Season 6: Las Vegas, Season 8: All Stars, and Last Chance Kitchen Season 7)
  • Stephanie Cmar (Season 11: New Orleans)
  • Lisa Fernandes (Season 4: Chicago)
  • Kevin Gillespie (Season 6: Las Vegas)
  • Gregory Gourdet (Season 12: Boston)
  • Melissa King (Season 12: Boston)
  • Jamie Lynch (Season 14: Charleston)
  • Brian Malarkey (Season 3: Miami)
  • Nini Nguyen (Season 16: Kentucky)
  • Joe Sasto (Season 15: Colorado)
  • Angelo Sosa (Season 7: Washington D.C., and Season 8: All Stars)
  • Bryan Voltaggio (Season 6: Las Vegas)
  • Lee Anne Wong (Season 1: San Francisco, and Last Chance Kitchen Season 7)

The contestants will be joined, as usual, by host Padma Lakshmi, head judge Tom Colicchio, and judge Gail Simmons (who was absent from Season 16 due to being on parental leave during the majority of filming). The season takes place in Los Angeles, also the site of the competition in the second season.

• Like 1

FUCK YES.  Unfortunately I'll catch the premiere and then I'm immediately gone for 5 months mostly without TV, so I won't be able to watch it all the way through in real time.

Jenn Carroll back for more pain.  I think she's too neurotic.

Lisa Fernandes, eyeroll.

Kevin Gillespie, hell yeah.  He should be a favorite.

Brian Malarkey, hey good to see you pal.  I just finished re-watching Season 3 and he was good.

Joe Sasto.  Also should be favorite.  Nice stache.

Of course Voltaggio.

Lee Anne Wong.  GTFO.  She fucking works for Top Chef.  Should not be allowed to compete.

Overall super pumped for another All Stars.  I can't imagine Tom continues that much longer.  They are coming up on 20 seasons.

On 12/14/2019 at 7:49 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Kevin Gillespie, hell yeah.  He should be a favorite.

Missed him the first time through.  I think Season 6 in Vegas is the strongest one ever.  Both Voltaggios, Jenn Carroll before she went nuts and Kevin.  Getting 3 of them back for this season is a good thing.  Kevin was my favorite that season but the Voltaggios are really good and very consistent.