Top Chef: Kentucky

spystud13

Watched the 4-person LCK cause I was bored, can’t believe all the eliminated chefs have to stick around for nothing. Let them go home, & fly them back for the finale. 

And here’s an article from a Louisville writer that ate at Thistle. Interesting to hear what she liked & didn’t compared to what we saw. 

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/television/2019/01/03/top-chef-kentucky-inside-restaurant-wars-season-16/2448926002/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Fuck yeah, the perfect two eliminations. 

Agreed. Although Nini's team didn't do a whole hell of a lot to help her fix her massive fuck up she had to go. And even if she had the best FOH staff in the world she is horrible at that role. 

Speaking of my time in restaurant management right out of college back in the day there is NOTHING worse than when everything goes to shit and the kitchen is fucked. It's like a awful nightmare that you just can't wake up from and the time moves so fucking slow. When that happens you are just praying for the rush to be over, the night to end and the last ticket sold out of the kitchen. I don't miss the long hours and ass beating that the job was but it sure was a hell of a lot of fun. 

• Like 3

It sounded like the inexperienced wait staff was an intentional twist.  I'm not sure I like it, but clearly some teams adapted just fine.  It was unusual for a line cook to go home.  Pablo's dishes must have really sucked.  Executive Chefs all seemed to get passes this time.  I'm not sure why.   

Speaking of Waffle House guy, Brother and Natalie sent him home from LCK.

After a the double elimination in Restaurant Wars, there was another in LCK, with Brother and Nini sending Natalie and Pablo to the bench.  Brother and Nini then had a mini Restaurant Wars competition with the remaining 10 Top Chef contestants being brought in to help.  The winner gets to return to the main competition, but, of course, we won't know who that is until next week.

It appears that this will be the end of LCK for this season.  It's a significant change from previous seasons, where the LCK winners returned relatively late.  Since they have already had Restaurant Wars, the odds of a good chef getting screwed is diminished, though there will definitely be more team challenges, so there is still some risk of that.  I'm not sure how I feel about this change, but I've been somewhat iffy on LCK since it was introduced.  This at least makes it have less of an impact. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 10:10 AM, idigTexas said:

It appears that this will be the end of LCK for this season.  It's a significant change from previous seasons, where the LCK winners returned relatively late.  Since they have already had Restaurant Wars, the odds of a good chef getting screwed is diminished, though there will definitely be more team challenges, so there is still some risk of that.  I'm not sure how I feel about this change, but I've been somewhat iffy on LCK since it was introduced.  This at least makes it have less of an impact. 

I hope this is incorrect, as there are times later in the season when a great chef can get fucked.  LCK is a good way for them to come back.  Look at Kristen and Joe Flamm.  They both came back through LCK late and won the whole fucking thing.

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

My only problem with this show is when it sends people home for non-cooking talents. 

Front of the house? Who gives a shit?

Agree with this to a point.  The show assumes that most of these chefs have the ultimate goal of opening their own restaurant, which is mostly true, so RW has relevancy.  FOH does matter, but I like seasons where they don't have to worry about decor and plates and other such frivolous niceties.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I hope this is incorrect, as there are times later in the season when a great chef can get fucked.  LCK is a good way for them to come back.  Look at Kristen and Joe Flamm.  They both came back through LCK late and won the whole fucking thing.

Great chefs can get fucked at any time, but I don't see them bringing back a second one later.  It will be Nini or Brother, the end.  I actually prefer this to seasons where they have brought back the LCK winner at the very end, especially when it has been someone who was just eliminated.  I always felt that was unfair to the remaining chefs who would not get a second chance.  If there has to be a LCK, this seems the better way to do it. 

If a great chef does get fucked later, they can be in LCK next season to earn another shot.

• Like 1

LCK should be for a spot on the next season. Give them the chance to run the gauntlet next year.

I’m not sure how many chefs would want to do back to back seasons. Long time away from home and family and business. And prevents them from pouncing on any immediate opportunities that arise from having been on Top Chef.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Where were decor & plates Nini’s downfall? She failed at every single facet of the challenge & was never held at gunpoint to be FOH to begin with. When you are easily the worst contestant in a challenge, you get housed. 

I wasn't being specific to Nini.  Just in general.  Yes, Nini was awful and deserved to leave.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, JimmyHoffa said:

Agreed. Although Nini's team didn't do a whole hell of a lot to help her fix her massive fuck up she had to go. And even if she had the best FOH staff in the world she is horrible at that role. 

she should have known better than to pick ice cream and done something easier for them to work with. they couldn't go and re-spin her ice cream in the middle of service 

that said, even if it was amazing when the FOH was that bad i don't think she deserved to stay at all. she screwed up everything that she possibly could there (based on editing)

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 10:10 AM, idigTexas said:

it looks like there are only going to be 14 episodes this year?

but still coming in from LCK at episode 6 of 14 (57% of season left) vs 11 of 16 (31% of season left) is kind of a weird move - especially when the winner came back from LCK last year after being eliminated fairly late in the season, episode 9, last year. 

It is definitely a change, but I think it is a good one.  Last season was a perfect example of how it was somewhat unfair.  Joe got eliminated late, only had to win one or two LCK challenges, and then was right back in the main event.  It was unfair to the other great chefs who had just sent him home. By the time you are down to 10 chefs, everyone should have acclimated to the rigors of competition cooking, and most of the posers should be gone.  Someone may still get eliminated as a result of team challenge bullshit, but it's less likely with RW already done, and a Top Chef should be able to persevere in any challenge.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

she should have known better than to pick ice cream and done something easier for them to work with. they couldn't go and re-spin her ice cream in the middle of service 

that said, even if it was amazing when the FOH was that bad i don't think she deserved to stay at all. she screwed up everything that she possibly could there (based on editing)

This. As I said before FOH should be a layup. Make a safe "good" dish that is easy to prep and prepare. Help other chefs prep the rest of your time and then get your ass out front and train the fuck out of the staff. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 10:15 AM, JimmyHoffa said:

Speaking of my time in restaurant management right out of college back in the day there is NOTHING worse than when everything goes to shit and the kitchen is fucked. It's like a awful nightmare that you just can't wake up from and the time moves so fucking slow. When that happens you are just praying for the rush to be over, the night to end and the last ticket sold out of the kitchen. I don't miss the long hours and ass beating that the job was but it sure was a hell of a lot of fun. 

This is so spot on.  There is no better place to be than a kitchen that is firing on all cylinders.  Time just evaporates, the shift is over basically right after it began.

When you are in the weeds, time stops and the gates of hell open.

12 hours ago, spystud13 said:

And of course LCK ain’t done yet. 

It's stupid and annoying but it drives traffic to their website. So Meh. 

I still think they should cap LCK at like the final 5 or 6. I think it's stupid a person that has just been beating one other eliminated chef every week has a chance to win the season while basically not even being a part of the actual season. 

23 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

So disappointed...and Brother gets yet another chance to return and repeat the same mistakes. 

Once again, I spoke too soon.  For those who don't watch LCK, they interviewed Brother after his elimination, and he looked totally defeated.  He took himself out of any further competition.  Good for him. 

To fill the spot vacated by Brother, they brought back the 5 chefs from this season who had been eliminated.  The challenge was "cook anything," with Tom doing a  blind taste test.  Surprisingly, Pablo ended up winning it, so he is now back in LCK with a chance to return to the main event. 

I do not like all of these LCK twists. 

Edited by idigTexas

On 1/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, idigTexas said:

Once again, I spoke too soon.  For those who don't watch LCK, they interviewed Brother after his elimination, and he looked totally defeated.  He took himself out of any further competition.  Good for him. 

That makes me like him a lot more. Respect. 

On 1/10/2019 at 8:02 PM, spystud13 said:

Damn, the judges did NOT like those bottom dishes. Tom looked physically pissed.

Shit, they were downright giddy last week compared to this one. Thought Tom was gonna get up in the middle of dinner & start stabbing folks. 

Glad pretty boy is gone. 

Probably the most disappointing food of the season in both challenges. 

They have a world class butcher in front of them and they all absolutely fucked themselves by overthinking it. I would have sent Brian home alone for taking that beautiful bone in Rib loin and cutting the ribs off and feeding them two fucking bites. IDIOTS.

And what the fuck was Sara thinking not grilling her sausage to begin with?   

4 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

especially after she talked shit about beating the other dude he had a hot brown on his menu at his restaurants.  

Speaking of he was on the past season/current season of Iron Chef America and beat Chef Guarnaschelli with Lamb. Dude can cook. 

What a waste of great ingredients.  I would have been so disappointed if I were judging.  I'm pretty sure they made the butcher cry.  The fact that a glorified lettuce wrap won tells you all you need to know, though I'm sure it was a great lettuce wrap. 

To celebrate Brandon's slimy tartar, LCK had a slimy food challenge.  Brandon made a dish using mountain yam noodles and snails, and knocked out Pablo, who featured okra and jellyfish. 

On 1/18/2019 at 8:56 AM, JimmyHoffa said:

Speaking of he was on the past season/current season of Iron Chef America and beat Chef Guarnaschelli with Lamb. Dude can cook. 

Yeah, he's one of the frontrunners methinks.  This season is pretty subpar overall though.  I think my top two seasons, not including All-Stars of course, would be Las Vegas and Colorado.