Top Chef: Kentucky

spystud13

Not too much deadwood left.  Brian and Sara need to pick it up or they will be gone soon.  Michelle is hanging out in the middle.  That works early, but there won't be a middle for much longer.  Eddie has been thew best by far, with Eric and Adrienne looking to be the most likely to challenge him.  Eddie has a bit of Richard Blais in him...always nervous while kicking ass.

On 1/19/2019 at 6:35 PM, idigTexas said:

Not too much deadwood left.  Brian and Sara need to pick it up or they will be gone soon.  Michelle is hanging out in the middle.  That works early, but there won't be a middle for much longer.  Eddie has been thew best by far, with Eric and Adrienne looking to be the most likely to challenge him.  Eddie has a bit of Richard Blais in him...always nervous while kicking ass.

Eddie in no way resembles the complete waffle dick that is Richard Blais 

So, much of this show is just about being smart.  Picking the dish that will work under the circumstances.  This episode highlighted that with a terribly conceived fake porchetta and a hot dumpling soup on a boat party.  But, also in the picking of the teams.  As soon as I heard what the challenge was and that Eddie could pick the teams, I sorta yelled at the TV:  "Pick Kelsey!".  Not only has she shown that she can cook, but she throws these sorts of parties for Southerners for a living.  It is literally her thing.  And she nailed it, party favors and all. 

Edited by DFWTexEx

26 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

eddie definitely chose poorly when compiling his team.   

And Brian chose poorly with his dish. I mean, come on, who cooks freaking porchetta for a BOAT PARTY???

And the Blue Team, as a whole, failed to get that it was supposed to be a party, not a wake.

Edited by AustinMT

35 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

And Brian chose poorly with his dish. I mean, come on, who cooks freaking porchetta for a BOAT PARTY???

And the Blue Team, as a whole, failed to get that it was supposed to be a party, not a wake.

but he served it while standing in a hot tub, I mean, how does that not scream lake party?  All that after he proclaimed he was "going to show the judges he knows how to do meat".  Not so fast, my friend.  

15 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Eddie in no way resembles the complete waffle dick that is Richard Blais 

You may not see it, but I do.  Both are very talented.  Both have a lot of self-doubt.  Of course, I don't think Blais is the douchey waffle dick that some think he is either, so there's that.  I think his passion for food and analytical personality make him appear to be more of an ass than he is.  I think he enjoys being hypercritical a bit too much, but having been on the other side of it, he has earned a little of that.

No surprise seeing Brian go home.  He was the weakest left in my opinion.  In LCK, be squared off with Brandon (who also isn't as douchey as he appeared top be in the first episode), and the challenge was eccentric pork parts (ears, tails, feet, etc).  Both made really good dishes.  Tom gave the win to Brandon, as he did a better job of featuring the pork. 

15 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Good episode, good result. 

Would not have hated to see Kelsey in a bikini. 

Ha, what was weird is in the preview last week they showed her going down the slide and that wasn't at all a part of the episode last night. She seems super cool and down to earth as well. 

Damn, that does suck. 

4 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Ha, what was weird is in the preview last week they showed her going down the slide and that wasn't at all a part of the episode last night. She seems super cool and down to earth as well. 

That’s exactly why I made the post, them previews lied to us. 

5 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

Kentucky chick is where my money is on next eliminated.  She, to me, is now the weakest link.

I agree that she is the weakest, but she may be this season's "chef who sticks around longer than they should," especially since she is representing Kentucky.  They usually like to keep at least one the local chef around as long as possible, but we may be past the point in the season where they care about that.   

those were three pretty talented chefs in the bottom 3.  we're getting down to the muscle.  am still thinking kentucky chick is the least talented left but damn if she didnt nail it at the right time.  i'm shocked that the girl that threw up on the way, and so sick she looked like death, won the quickfire.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

those were three pretty talented chefs in the bottom 3.  we're getting down to the muscle.  am still thinking kentucky chick is the least talented left but damn if she didnt nail it at the right time.  i'm shocked that the girl that threw up on the way, and so sick she looked like death, won the quickfire.

And what the hell did she do to that steak??? Butterfly it after she cooked it? I have never seen that before in my life. 

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I would have been really pumped about eating food cooked by someone who has a stomach bug.

I assume that she was at least checked by docs top make sure that she wasn't contagious.  I haven't seen any stories addressing it, which is odd, since a lot of people must be wondering the same thing. 

3 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Previews for next week look fun with Sara breaking down. 

And Ashley Judd damn well better be making an appearance at Rupp. 

After being called out for using boxed waffles, she fucking deserves it. At this point they should know better than that.  

That Louisville writer attended the QF & Rupp challenge. 

MORE BEHIND THE SCENES

► At the quickfire challenge, the seven competing chefs were tasked with opening a locked box by either solving four clues that would provide the combination — or counting a jar of beans that would produce the number. The beans were not mentioned in the episode, probably because the task was too tedious for any of the chefs to take seriously.

► The code — 4582 — is the amount of gold in metric tons that's stored at the U.S. Bullion Depository in Fort Knox.

► The quickfire challenge was filmed on June 10, 2018, two days after the death of chef Anthony Bourdain. Bourdain had been a guest judge on "Top Chef" in previous seasons, and he worked with Louisville chef Ed Lee on season three of "Mind of a Chef." Both host Lakshmi and Lee were still mourning their friend during the challenge.

► Judge Elliot tried to wear red shoes to Rupp Arena. "They told me I couldn't."

• Like 1

I agree that Sara was excessively whiny.  Adrienne was on point.  If you don't want to be called out for using a box mix, don't use a box mix.  The only time a Top Chef should use a box mix is when it is a required product placement challenge. 

It was funny watching Eddie not know what to do with himself.  I thought for sure there was going to be some twist involving him.  Nope. Eddie Money gets a day off.

Michelle made the fatal decision that a lot of Top Chef contestants seem to make, trying to make a dish that can't be done well in the allotted time.  Once the challenge of "game day food" was announced, she was making ribs come hell or high water.  If they only had 5 minutes to cook, she was still going to make ribs.  She does not have the creative flexibility to be Top Chef, but she may get another chance.

In LCK, Michelle knocked out David on another "game day food" challenge.  She apparently learned from her mistake, and opted to make pasta with chili in 30 minutes instead of more ribs.  I know when I think "game day food" pasta chili is always at the top of my list.  David made meatballs.  The curve ball was that there was only one knife for them to share, with a 30 second shot clock controlling possession of it.  The other spin was being forced to use Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing in their dishes.  Michelle's reaction to hearing that was pretty funny.  I'm surprised it wasn't cut.  

LCK finale is next week, so the winner between Michelle and the loser to be named later will re-enter the main event.  Interestingly, Michelle said that she wanted a showdown with Sara.  I hope she gets her wish and sends Sara home for good.     

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I agree that Sara was excessively whiny.  Adrienne was on point.  If you don't want to be called out for using a box mix, don't use a box mix.  The only time a Top Chef should use a box mix is when it is a required product placement challenge. 

It was funny watching Eddie not know what to do with himself.  I thought for sure there was going to be some twist involving him.  Nope. Eddie Money gets a day off.

Michelle made the fatal decision that a lot of Top Chef contestants seem to make, trying to make a dish that can't be done well in the allotted time.  Once the challenge of "game day food" was announced, she was making ribs come hell or high water.  If they only had 5 minutes to cook, she was still going to make ribs.  She does not have the creative flexibility to be Top Chef, but she may get another chance.

Sara's awful decision to use a box mix (seriously how fucking stupid do you have to be?) was saved by Michelle's equally dumb decision to try and make something that can't be made properly in the amount of time they were given. Just plain stupid. 

They are the two weakest chefs left so I do hope it comes down to them for who goes home for good. 

The Muhammad Ali challenge seems like an interesting idea.  

I would defend the box waffle mix.  HOnestly, it's just flour with the baking powder and baking soda already mixed in for you.  Is it REALLY that different if you buy flour, baking soda and baking power separately and mix them yourself to make "homemade waffles"?  Really?  That was a non-issue if we are being honest here.  It's not like she bought frozen waffles.  Her issue wasn't that she bought flour, baking soda and baking powder pre-mixed, the issue was she didn't cook the waffles properly.  Of course, to me, that is a way lesser sin than cooking the inferior fried chicken.  

Edited by pepper brooks