Franklin BBQ

swTXSU

• 8 months later...

20 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

How's the wait these days? I just moved back after 5 years. It's probably buried somewhere in the BBQ thread, but that sumbitch is long. 

Pre-order is your friend.

https://preorder.franklinbbq.com/

Tuesdays-Thursdays are available about a week out.  You have to go a couple weeks to get a Friday, and maybe 3-4 weeks to get a Saturday or Sunday.

20 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

How's the wait these days? I just moved back after 5 years. It's probably buried somewhere in the BBQ thread, but that sumbitch is long. 

There's a reason the BBQ thread is long. In addition to Franklin, there are 10 other places you need to try in Austin since you were here last.

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

There's a reason the BBQ thread is long. In addition to Franklin, there are 10 other places you need to try in Austin since you were here last.

I'm working through that thread. I like immediate gratification. I plan on trying them all. Especially since this pre-order thing is a minimum of 5 pounds. That's a weekend eating commitment for a loner like me. 

48 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Last time I did it, super easy. Special window all the way around in the back and had special parking spaces right there.

Correct. It's in the old trailer on the north side of the building with its own designated parking spots.

3 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Last time I did it, super easy. Special window all the way around in the back and had special parking spaces right there.

Thanks.  I will go this route then.  Need to check this off my BBQ bucket list. Mainly so if I get asked by out of state folks if its really that good and from there I recommend it or steer them elsewhere.  

Will be in Austin next Tuesday morning and was thinking of getting an online order for that night's wedding anniversary but was wondering it being kept warm that long would affect it. I would be driving back to Dallas and can put it in a cooler to stay warm for the trip.
Would it be best just to get a whole chilled brisket and warm it up when I get home?
This would be my first Franklin experience so I want it to be good.
The other thought is to just sit in line that morning and eat it fresh for lunch and order enough to take home.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Will be in Austin next Tuesday morning and was thinking of getting an online order for that night's wedding anniversary but was wondering it being kept warm that long would affect it. I would be driving back to Dallas and can put it in a cooler to stay warm for the trip.
Would it be best just to get a whole chilled brisket and warm it up when I get home?
This would be my first Franklin experience so I want it to be good.
The other thought is to just sit in line that morning and eat it fresh for lunch and order enough to take home.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pre-order is amazing, can't recommend it enough, especially on a Tuesday - can pick your time and rock and roll from there. 

any chance you have a sous vide or access to one? if so that is far and away the easiest way to reheat it, they are already vacuum sealed. 

I believe they are going to be wrapped in peach paper so they should travel halfway decently!

54 minutes ago, NoName said:

pre-order is amazing, can't recommend it enough, especially on a Tuesday - can pick your time and rock and roll from there. 

any chance you have a sous vide or access to one? if so that is far and away the easiest way to reheat it, they are already vacuum sealed. 

I believe they are going to be wrapped in peach paper so they should travel halfway decently!

Is the sliced stuff vacuum sealed or just the already chilled whole items? 

Not sure why I don't have a sous vide yet, but usually reheat my vacuum sealed in a big pot of hot water. 

It's become a tourist destination since he started doing tv stuff. It's like trying to get into that pawn shop just south of downtown Vegas that's on Pawn Stars. Crazy lines from tv fans.

I need to do the preorder since I haven't had it since 2010/2011 and would like to see if it's still as quality. When he was in that little blue trailer it was outstanding quality. Dude was really nice and friendly to BS with back then too but not sure if he's changed with fame or not. 

It's still good.  The last time I stood in a 4-hour line was for the opening of Empire Strikes Back, but when I do pre-order or someone else brings me some, it's still always delicious.

Edited by utee94

14 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Is the sliced stuff vacuum sealed or just the already chilled whole items? 

Not sure why I don't have a sous vide yet, but usually reheat my vacuum sealed in a big pot of hot water. 

i think just the chilled is vac sealed?

On 5/19/2019 at 11:24 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

My niece went today (Thursday; last bucket list item before graduation).  Showed up at 7:15 a.m; sat down and ate by 12:00 p.m.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcbc said:

My niece went today (Thursday; last bucket list item before graduation).  Showed up at 7:15 a.m; sat down and ate by 12:00 p.m.

Franklin is not 4:45 minutes in line better than some of the other bbq joints in town. No fucking way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

Franklin is not 4:45 minutes in line better than some of the other bbq joints in town. No fucking way.

Agreed.  When I mentioned preorder to her, she responded, "Yes."  But, still.  Better to have gone while you are in school there with your friends after your college responsibilities have ended completely and have waited, than not to have gone at all. 

11 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Its a tourist destination not a normal food line. I'd never wait in it by myself, but if I have several buddies and some chairs and it's 60 to 70 degrees I'd do it once for the experience. It's more of a social hangout than a line at the post office. 

17 hours ago, crash_davis said:

There isn't a food in the world worth a 4:45 minute line wait. 30 minutes tops, unless I'm at a wait list for a restaurant.

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Wait, you need a reason to drink beer before noon?

I sure as hell don't, and sitting around in a line on an East Austin sidewalk is not the way I want to spend my breakfast beer time.  The lake, the golf course, my backyard, those are all infinitely preferable morning-drinking spots, rather than hanging out with a bunch of hipsters/tourists who are in it mostly for the instagram experience.  I can live without that.

Which is why I like preorder.

But, it takes all kinds, so here's to you, Mr. line-squatting morning drinker! :)

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Gonna try his bbq for the first time Thursday. I'm moving out of state and had to try it once. I've been trying to get it ordered for 2 weeks but they never had a day available. 

Anybody done their curbside yet or know someone who has? Pain in the ass and takes a while? Easy and quick? Something in the middle?

Sell it on the black market and buy a Ferrari?

My birthday is later this week.  Franklin is my treat to myself -- placed an order today for pickup one afternoon later this week, for our quarantine family dinner.  Hey, the fact that I can place a moderate-sized pickup order and get it is a bonus in this situation, I'll take advantage of it.

• Like 1