Franklin BBQ

swTXSU

I've heard Aaron say the flat is his favorite part and takes pride in it, because it's harder than the point to get really good, which I know is pretty common with you top dogs. And I know you'll consider me a tourist, or a yankee, or a traitor, or a cocksucker for usually going straight for the fatty pieces of a brisket first, but damn the lean pieces of that brisket were so much better than I've had before. The whole thing was outstanding, but that stood out to me. 

I do like John Mueller's bark more.  Just that extra pepper and maybe a little thicker than Aaron's? I'm not sure. But this tasted like a highly cared for brisket. That fucker was amazing.  

Franklin.jpg

• Like 1

Treated myself and the family to Franklin tonight - got lots of brisket, some turkey and sausage. Sure, the turkey and sausage were really good, but the family all went on about the brisket - better than they remembered.
Daughter hadn’t had Franklin in 3 years, and had forgotten how amazing it is.
The boy said “you know, I’m always happy when we get Coopers....but this is what it’s supposed to be.” He ate two huge servings.
My wife shook her head and said it’s just the brisket she judges all the rest by.
Hell, it’s become cool to call it overrated and shit, but come on. It’s the stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 9:56 PM, BBQ2Bayou said:

I've heard Aaron say the flat is his favorite part and takes pride in it, because it's harder than the point to get really good, which I know is pretty common with you top dogs. And I know you'll consider me a tourist, or a yankee, or a traitor, or a cocksucker for usually going straight for the fatty pieces of a brisket first, but damn the lean pieces of that brisket were so much better than I've had before. The whole thing was outstanding, but that stood out to me. 

Spoiler

I do like John Mueller's bark more.  Just that extra pepper and maybe a little thicker than Aaron's? I'm not sure. But this tasted like a highly cared for brisket. That fucker was amazing.  

Franklin.jpg

Bryan Bingham and @ChampKind are also well known lovers of the lean. 

On 4/23/2020 at 10:46 PM, Brisketexan said:

Treated myself and the family to Franklin tonight - got lots of brisket, some turkey and sausage. Sure, the turkey and sausage were really good, but the family all went on about the brisket - better than they remembered.
Daughter hadn’t had Franklin in 3 years, and had forgotten how amazing it is.
The boy said “you know, I’m always happy when we get Coopers....but this is what it’s supposed to be.” He ate two huge servings.
My wife shook her head and said it’s just the brisket she judges all the rest by.
Hell, it’s become cool to call it overrated and shit, but come on. It’s the stuff.

Yeah, it's still the best I've had. 

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:
1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:
What are the wait times like these days?  I may be popping in later this week from out of town for my first in-store experience. 

Wait times.....in-store experience....hahaha.

58 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

are you coming from 2019?

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2995808468b70867a17a

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I put my order in just afternoon midnight Wednesday/Thursday for pickup yesterday. The wait in the line of cars down E. 11th to pick up was like an hour long. And they weren't handing out free Lone Star. Still delicious though.

18 hours ago, Deej said:

Picked some up Friday at 11. In and out in 5 minutes. 

Doing it again tomorrow.

They should make this their permanent business model. 

Agreed, though apparently their margins are tight even at $30 a lb. 

Last week I asked them to divide my four lbs of brisket into two 2lb portions so I could drop half of it off at a friend's and they declined with the explanation "we don't have staff for that."  They aren't slicing it and wrapping it until you get there, anyway.  Considering the size of my purchase ($200), I would have thought they could have come up with a better excuse. 

On the bright side, brisket still rocked although I do prefer Louie Mueller's peppery bark. 

• Like 1

Agreed, though apparently their margins are tight even at $30 a lb. 
Last week I asked them to divide my four lbs of brisket into two 2lb portions so I could drop half of it off at a friend's and they declined with the explanation "we don't have staff for that."  They aren't slicing it and wrapping it until you get there, anyway.  Considering the size of my purchase ($200), I would have thought they could have come up with a better excuse. 
On the bright side, brisket still rocked although I do prefer Louie Mueller's peppery bark. 
I guess packaging to go orders takes more staff and time than dining in?
Is Franklin still cooking as much meat now as he did before this change?

8 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
12 minutes ago, futureman said:
no way, josé

Due to demand going down or just packing up that many to-go order taking more time and just not enough hours in the day to get it all done?

I'd guess both, but his pre-corona setup was certainly far more conducive to selling huge amounts of food with less time dedicated to each order.  Even if demand were the same as before, servicing each to-go order takes longer-- probably a LOT longer.

Edited by utee94

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Franklin is now offering nationwide shipping for a 5 lb brisket. The shipping is free and it comes with a bottle of sauce, but it will set you back $249. Man I miss the old days of late 2009 early 2010......

https://www.goldbelly.com/franklin-barbecue/whole-brisket-texas-bbq-sauce?ref=merchant

$50/lb.  Wow.

21 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Franklin is now offering nationwide shipping for a 5 lb brisket. The shipping is free and it comes with a bottle of sauce, but it will set you back $249. Man I miss the old days of late 2009 early 2010......

https://www.goldbelly.com/franklin-barbecue/whole-brisket-texas-bbq-sauce?ref=merchant

Dear lord.    That's ridiculous. 

Edited by Wally Pryor

21 hours ago, Gourmand said:

“At Franklin Barbecue, we’ve been humbled for years by praise that’ll make you blush. 

"Thats why we're charging you $250 for $45 worth of beef" 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/21/2020 at 1:43 PM, Gourmand said:

On 10/21/2020 at 6:33 PM, AustinMT said:

$50/lb.  Wow.

To hell with that.

37 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Nope.  I'm not doing that. Ever. 

I don't hate him for doing it though.  Honestly, it smells like a "I really really don't want to ship briskets, but I'm sick of people asking if I will, so here" kind of move.

Exactly.  Like a  building contractor that already has too much work, but you've asked for a quote on your small home remodel project.  They'll come up with a crazy number, because they don't really want the work.  But hey, if you're willing to pay it, then they can always re-prioritize their scheduling...

36 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Nope.  I'm not doing that. Ever. 

I don't hate him for doing it though.  Honestly, it smells like a "I really really don't want to ship briskets, but I'm sick of people asking if I will, so here" kind of move.

You're probably right and it's likely that a good chunk of the markup is due to the added middleman and shipping costs. If Goldbelly is anything like Uber Eats/Favor, it could be a 30% cost to the business. 

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

A 5-6 pound brisket from Louis Mueller through Goldbelly is $229. 

A 4-5 pounder from Snow's with shipping and handling is $149.

yep. I ordered shipping from Snow's online a few years ago and I think it was around $175 or so for a shitton of food. Included a 4-5 lb brisket, links of sausage, and a giant pork steak. It was all fantastic and would do it again if it were still offered, but it looks like that one was discontinued.

Btw if any of you are interested, now is the time to order from Snow's. Their brisket for shipping is in stock this morning.

https://snowsbbq.com/meats/

Naw.  The slope, once you find the sweet spot, declines so fast that it's EASILY worth it to me.  I can do the same quality brisket for roughly $6 per lb where those are running well over $20/lb and up.  The key is you have to do enough of them to make the slope pay off. 

I do.

And at this point, it's really not all that much work.

45 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Naw.  The slope, once you find the sweet spot, declines so fast that it's EASILY worth it to me.  I can do the same quality brisket for roughly $6 per lb where those are running well over $20/lb and up.  The key is you have to do enough of them to make the slope pay off. 

I do.

And at this point, it's really not all that much work.

It also has the added benefit of making you more of a man.

• Hook 'Em 1