Franklin BBQ

swTXSU

8 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Nope.  I'm not doing that. Ever. 

I don't hate him for doing it though.  Honestly, it smells like a "I really really don't want to ship briskets, but I'm sick of people asking if I will, so here" kind of move.

I will smoke a brisket over 800,000 matches before I'd pay that.  If he doesn't want to ship briskets the nancy ass needs to grow a pair and say "we don't do that".

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Cajun said:
7 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

A 5-6 pound brisket from Louis Mueller through Goldbelly is $229. 

A 4-5 pounder from Snow's with shipping and handling is $149.

Learning to do it yourself is priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Mastercard?

Regarding Franklin charging $50/lb, we have to remember he's shipping mostly to the unfortunate people out of state who can't just walk out of their door and get great bbq. Where I'm sitting, I'm seven minutes to Roegel's, twenty to Champ at Dozier's, and on Saturday, less than two hours to Snows AND I have to pass Truth in Brenham both ways. 

If I lived in Idaho, $50/lb for Franklin would probably seem reasonable. 

I agree that none of us should be willing to pay that, but then...

We don't have to. 

🤘

Edited by DoobieWah
  • Hook 'Em 1

Waiting in line at Franklin isn't like waiting in line for other things.
It really is like tailgating. Grab 3 friends, some tailgate chairs, and a cooler and your interminable 4 hour wait will just seem like a little bit of time bullshitting with your buddies.

Will they supply the friends too? Asking for a friend.

I think it's definitely to discourage orders for whole briskets.  I think it's an issue of space on the pits.  They can't do a ton of online orders for whole briskets and still have enough meat for customers that are picking up meals without massively expanding their operation.  Valentina's was doing something similar a few months back.  One of my friends picked up some barbacoa for us and said Valentina's was selling whole briskets for over $300.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's been a wide-open secret for a fucking decade what Franklin does to make to delicious brisket.  It's how what he does, it's how he does it.  

The best meat and process process process.  And there's no way he's rewrapping his briskets before they go in the warmers.  When I rest in paper, it's perfectly saturated whether it's been 45 minutes or 5 hours.  If I'm putting it in a cooler, I wrap foil around the paper to keep the thing from making a nasty mess in the cooler.

I don't think the type of binder matters.  The rub matters to a degree, but most of the stuff that isn't salt, pepper, or heat isn't making it through to the end of the smoke in a noticeable fashion.  In the end, tenderness matters the most.  And if this guy has to add fat back to make it glisten and tender, I guess you do what you have to do.  But I'd just do it at the initial wrap and not dump out all of the juices before resting to rewrap.  Or just spray it with water or water/acv or water/worscestershire or whatever.

That long rest is part of the ticket, too.

Edited by dcbc

Well said.  I meant to type "it's not what he does, it's how he does it."  

It's just smoke and timing.  Aaron Franklin is the Andy Dufrane of barbecue.  That's all great brisket is really, smoking and time.  

Edited by Lobo

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's just smoke and timing.  Aaron Franklin is the Andy Dufrane of barbecue.  That's all smoking brisket is really, smoking and time.  

I've been in a rut and it was all about my being lazy.  I did a brisket last night.  Grabbed a CAB pretrimmed 7 lber because pickings were slim.  Watched my temps more carefully than I have in a while, got a good probe at 204.  Rested, but sliced without a long rest because it was lunchtime.  Best one I've smoked in a while.  Paying a bit closer attention to the process was the key.  I had some replacement probes that were overdue to be put into service. 

If you want Franklin, go to Franklin.  Otherwise, work on process and decide what works best for you with rub, binder, spritz, wrap, wood, etc.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's been a wide-open secret for a fucking decade what Franklin does to make to delicious brisket.  It's how what he does, it's how he does it.  

This. He’s perfected consistency. From the way he cuts every brisket to the temp and duration. It’s not an unknown secret ingredient. 

Edited by Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

oh, aaron loved aristology. 

I remember he asked me to get him a little meat thermometer.  It would take a man 600 years to kill somebody with that tiny instrument. 

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's just smoke and timing.  Aaron Franklin is the Andy Dufrane of barbecue.  That's all great brisket is really, smoking and time.  

Well, he was good at doing the prison guards taxes.

Wonder what brand and grade Aaron started out smoking, his food was head and shoulders above all the others long before he got the pick of the litter in briskets.
That would be interesting to know. I wouldn't think he was cooking prime brisket right off the bat in the trailer, but then again maybe he figured out early on that it was going to give him the best finished product.

11 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Wonder what brand and grade Aaron started out smoking, his food was head and shoulders above all the others long before he got the pick of the litter in briskets.

i thought he was using prime before (everyone) was using it.

also he pretty much only served his A stuff while everyone else still served their B and C results.

then again he has always been a pretty process heavy dude going back to even his PBS show...he uses creekstone now right?

• Hook 'Em 1

I stopped that video when he questioned whether Franklin could have been using duck fat - GTFO.  Is it that hard to understand that briskets are covered in a layer of beef tallow?

I know Evan LeRoy uses beef tallow for beef cheeks and barbacoa.  Instead of wrapping briskets he makes a foil boat and I wouldn't be surprised if he added some tallow to that boat.  

52 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I stopped that video when he questioned whether Franklin could have been using duck fat - GTFO.  Is it that hard to understand that briskets are covered in a layer of beef tallow?

I know Evan LeRoy uses beef tallow for beef cheeks and barbacoa.  Instead of wrapping briskets he makes a foil boat and I wouldn't be surprised if he added some tallow to that boat.  

they use tallow a ton, Bradley Robinson (Chudds BBQ) there did chuck roast burnt ends in tallow as well.

that is absolutely a clickbait video