Marvel Movies Better than Black Panther

BigBenBamboozle

On 3/28/2018 at 4:08 PM, DarthBalls said:

So true about Winter's soldier's tension feeling organic and earned. It just felt like natural.

Black panther was so busy world building that they forgot to build any characters. It was flat. It was "business as usual" and im sick of it. I don't know if you watch Red Letter Media or not, but I think i have, what they call, Blockbuster Fatigue. I can only see the same thing so many times. I have officially reached my limit. 

I wouldn't know about Black Panther'd third act because i walked out but i assume there is some fighting and some comedic quips and black panther wins? I don't care really. 

The third act of Annihilation was everything i wanted it to be. I was in AWE. I was on the edge of my seat. I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!  Fuck, I didn't even know what was happening when it was on screen happening in front of my face. It was like a breath of fresh air. Wanted to go see it again in the theater but of course it bombed and was only around for a couple of weeks. The theater probably had to make room for more fucking marvel movies!

It bombed cause it was fucking terrible and pointless.     It looked pretty though.

I think its a bit of a reach to call it best picture, but it was a fun watch.  I find these types of movies are best consumed without making them be more than they are.   I have a soft spot for disaster movies.   They all fucking suck, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy something about it.   Superhero movies are just a romp, shut off the brain and enjoy the ride.

I just saw this in the theater last night, and before I get blasted on social media for my obvious racism, I'll bother you dicks with my thoughts and questions.

- I don't understand how BP beat EK in the last battle. He lost the first time in a fair fight. Then he won the second and final fight. But there was no *training montage* or anything else to show how BP grew or learned a new move. Did he just get gud? What did I miss?

- That last fight was crap, btw. Two CG dudes going at it. I can stay home and play Tekken with my kid for that.

- Killmonger was essentially Baron Zemo. They killed my family, now I'm gonna burn the world down. Except Baron Zemo was specific in his plans (destroy Avengers) and also successful (broke up Iron Man and Captain America). Between the two, I think Zemo is more frightening.

- Killmonger was also supposed to be a genius. Naval Academy grad (at 19...okay) and MIT grad. That never came through. He was more like a brute. It was one of those movie things where they just give credentials to people to make them sound cool, I guess.

- BP didn't grow as a character. The mountain guy did. The guy from Get Out did. Those were the only dynamic characters. Blah.

- My one piece of social commentary: Wakanda is almost like an alien world. A homogeneous, extremely advanced civilization existing outside the bounds of the world, with only limited interaction in our world. For now.

- FInal analysis: it wasn't that great from a character development angle, and the plot was pretty boilerplate. Some of the action scenes were good. Some were groaners. I put it in the middle of the pack of the Marvel films. I don't think I need to watch it again.

LOL @ best picture...

It was a fun movie and I loved it but it was flawed in many respects as disco just pointed out.  It was very entertaining but there were some obvious political overtones that weren't as well executed as Winter Soldier.  To say there were contradictions would be an understatement.

I would argue that the growth for BP was the realization that there was something to gain from going out and helping the rest of the world, even though he was only concerned with helping his race (which was somehow glossed over as being okay). 

I am also not sure why they basically had to have a monarchy be their system of government and trial by combat being the way leadership was selected.  It seemed very odd for an advanced civilization to have such a shitty form of government.  It reminds me of the old monty python sketch. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

I just saw this in the theater last night, and before I get blasted on social media for my obvious racism, I'll bother you dicks with my thoughts and questions.

- I don't understand how BP beat EK in the last battle. He lost the first time in a fair fight. Then he won the second and final fight. But there was no *training montage* or anything else to show how BP grew or learned a new move. Did he just get gud? What did I miss?

- That last fight was crap, btw. Two CG dudes going at it. I can stay home and play Tekken with my kid for that.

- Killmonger was essentially Baron Zemo. They killed my family, now I'm gonna burn the world down. Except Baron Zemo was specific in his plans (destroy Avengers) and also successful (broke up Iron Man and Captain America). Between the two, I think Zemo is more frightening.

- Killmonger was also supposed to be a genius. Naval Academy grad (at 19...okay) and MIT grad. That never came through. He was more like a brute. It was one of those movie things where they just give credentials to people to make them sound cool, I guess.

- BP didn't grow as a character. The mountain guy did. The guy from Get Out did. Those were the only dynamic characters. Blah.

- My one piece of social commentary: Wakanda is almost like an alien world. A homogeneous, extremely advanced civilization existing outside the bounds of the world, with only limited interaction in our world. For now.

- FInal analysis: it wasn't that great from a character development angle, and the plot was pretty boilerplate. Some of the action scenes were good. Some were groaners. I put it in the middle of the pack of the Marvel films. I don't think I need to watch it again.

I agree with most of this, but I still thought it was a good movie, worth paying a little extra to see in the theater.

I've seen a couple people in here write that they walked out in the middle of it.  Really?  Do people really do that?  Shit, I saw Highlander 2 in the theater and stayed through the whole thing because I thought maybe it would get better.  Maybe I'm just not that smart.

9 hours ago, Amobie said:

I am also not sure why they basically had to have a monarchy be their system of government and trial by combat being the way leadership was selected.  It seemed very odd for an advanced civilization to have such a shitty form of government. 

It could’ve been clearer but it was just a tradition they continued to do but one that was understood to just be ceremonial even though it may have still been technically the law. No one was really supposed to challenge the heir...until someone did.  His sister alluded to it being pointless by asking why they couldn’t skip it and move on with the coronation. 

57 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It could’ve been clearer but it was just a tradition they continued to do but one that was understood to just be ceremonial even though it may have still been technically the law. No one was really supposed to challenge the heir...until someone did.  His sister alluded to it being pointless by asking why they couldn’t skip it and move on with the coronation. 

The most advanced society in the world picks its ruler through hereditary bloodlines and ritual combat.
And uses mortars and pestles for a lot of things.

• Like 1

In the comics is Captain America as big of an unlikable, unyielding prick as Chris Evans' portrayal in these movies?  I wanted Iron Man to blast a hole through him at the end of civil war. I will probably enjoy his probable upcoming demise in the Infinity War saga. 

Edited by In10se

Yeah I liked it(of course I did). 

As said above it’s not nearly as good as it’s been overhyped.  But it’s also not anywhere near as bad as some have said. 

I personally preform GoTG 1, Iron Man, Civil War, and Avengers above it. BP would be on the same level as Ragnarok and Ant Man imo. All fun films and all at the top 6-7 films in this universe. 

4 minutes ago, In10se said:

In the comics is Captain America as big of an unlikable, unyielding prick as Chris Evans' portrayal in these movies?  I wanted Iron Man to blast a hole through him at the end of civil war. I will probably enjoy his probable upcoming demise in the Infinity War saga. 

You watched Civil war and thought Iron Man was right?  Cap is most true to his character. Never understand how the rebellious millionaire would side with the government(didn’t like it in the comics either). 

• Like 1

Wasn't so much that I agreed with Stark but more of Cap's complete assholishness to everyone and disregard for the deaths and damage they caused. Stark at least felt remorse for the death toll their battles were racking up with innocent civilians. 

6 hours ago, Drew said:

You watched Civil war and thought Iron Man was right?  Cap is most true to his character. Never understand how the rebellious millionaire would side with the government(didn’t like it in the comics either). 

Yeah, the way the movie 'Civil War' portrayed the registration act and the cause behind it was much, much, much worse than the comic. At least in the comic it makes sense as you have these rogue/younger superheroes causing significant damages.

And yes, I'm still bitter that they deviated away from the comic Civil War storyline significantly. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I understood that.  Politically it's a primitive system though.  You'd think that the most advanced civilization in the world would determine leadership from something other than wrestling on top of waterfalls.

Edited by Amobie

1 hour ago, Amobie said:

I understood that.  Politically it's a primitive system though.  You'd think that the most advanced civilization in the world would determine leadership from something other than wrestling on top of waterfalls.

Right they should instead have small groups of appointed representatives  from the different areas of Wakanda and then have them vote based on the voting results of their respective area.

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Right they should instead have small groups of appointed representatives  from the different areas of Wakanda and then have them vote based on the voting results of their respective area.

That's a very subtle way for to suggest that Africans can't be trusted to democratically elect their leadership.  I completely disagree with the notion that Monarchs and dictators are the only way an African nation can be run.

It might not have looked as great on the big screen but leadership shouldn't be determined by who wins a physical altercation.  IMO, that's 100% barbaric. 

List of releases by date:

1. Iron Man (2008)
  2. The Incredible Hulk (2008)
  3. Iron Man 2 (2010)
  4. Thor (2011)
  5. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
  6. Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
  7. Iron Man 3 (2013)
  8. Thor: The Dark World (2013)
  9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
  11. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
  12. Ant-Man (2015)
  13. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
  14. Doctor Strange (2016)
  15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
  16. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
  17. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
  18. Black Panther (2018)

If I were to rank these in order of how much I enjoy re-watching them:

1. Iron Man (2008)
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
  3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
  4. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
  5. Doctor Strange (2016)
  6. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
  8. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
  9. Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
  10. Black Panther (2018)
  12. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
  13. Thor (2011)
  14. Ant-Man (2015)
  15. Iron Man 3 (2013)
  16. The Incredible Hulk (2008)
  17. Iron Man 2 (2010)
  18. Thor: The Dark World (2013)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Yeah, the way the movie 'Civil War' portrayed the registration act and the cause behind it was much, much, much worse than the comic. At least in the comic it makes sense as you have these rogue/younger superheroes causing significant damages.

And yes, I'm still bitter that they deviated away from the comic Civil War storyline significantly. 

You aren't the only one.

Secret War and the Civil War storylines are among the best in history, imo. The Skrull story lost me though.

• 2 years later...

~*~* necromancy *~*~

Just watched it and I hate this fucking movie. I knew I was going to, so I've avoided it.

Short review:|
3/10 - The most advanced civilization on earth recognizes the global suffering of its black brothers and offers an outreach center.

Long review:

1) A superhero movie needs a good guy who fully embraces the values of the audience.
2) A superhero movie needs a bad guy who rejects the values of the audience.
3) The good guy wins.
4) The bad guy loses.
5) And by the end of the story, the world is basically exactly the same as it started.

- T'Challah embodies liberal Hollywood values (monied, woke, representational, democratic, reformist, self-hating rich) - T'Challah
- Killmonger is a revolutionary (anti-democratic, unwoke, revolutionary, self-loving)
- T'Challah wins, but offers the oppressed black diaspora an outreach center
- Absolutely nothing will change for the black people whose suffering was used as a plot point (but they got to see a space ship!)

This shit sucks ass.

The root of Killmonger's message is so attractive that they have to turn him into a super-villain black man. The "we're going to kill the white children!" shit was like something out of a cartoon Ron Paul would have published in the mid 1980s.

I am PUMPED for Black Panther 2: Learn to Code

As a piece of representational culture for black Americans? This movie is very cool. But I'm not a black American so I can't really weigh in on that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

On 4/4/2018 at 2:50 PM, Dutchrudder said:

1. Iron Man (2008)
  3. Iron Man 2 (2010)
  4. Thor (2011)
  7. Iron Man 3 (2013)
  12. Ant-Man (2015)
  18. Black Panther (2018)

1. Iron Man (2008)
  5. Doctor Strange (2016)
  10. Black Panther (2018)
  13. Thor (2011)
  14. Ant-Man (2015)
  15. Iron Man 3 (2013)
  17. Iron Man 2 (2010)

pure crap - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

On 2/14/2021 at 9:20 AM, bad_teammate said:

~*~* necromancy *~*~

Just watched it and I hate this fucking movie. I knew I was going to, so I've avoided it.

Short review:|
3/10 - The most advanced civilization on earth recognizes the global suffering of its black brothers and offers an outreach center.

Long review:

1) A superhero movie needs a good guy who fully embraces the values of the audience.
2) A superhero movie needs a bad guy who rejects the values of the audience.
3) The good guy wins.
4) The bad guy loses.
5) And by the end of the story, the world is basically exactly the same as it started.

- T'Challah embodies liberal Hollywood values (monied, woke, representational, democratic, reformist, self-hating rich) - T'Challah
- Killmonger is a revolutionary (anti-democratic, unwoke, revolutionary, self-loving)
- T'Challah wins, but offers the oppressed black diaspora an outreach center
- Absolutely nothing will change for the black people whose suffering was used as a plot point (but they got to see a space ship!)

This shit sucks ass.

The root of Killmonger's message is so attractive that they have to turn him into a super-villain black man. The "we're going to kill the white children!" shit was like something out of a cartoon Ron Paul would have published in the mid 1980s.

I am PUMPED for Black Panther 2: Learn to Code

As a piece of representational culture for black Americans? This movie is very cool. But I'm not a black American so I can't really weigh in on that.

Tl;dr: if you're sure you're going to hate something and then you watch with with confirmation bias running wild, you'll definitely hate it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 2:50 PM, Dutchrudder said:

1. Iron Man (2008)
  3. Iron Man 2 (2010)
  4. Thor (2011)
  7. Iron Man 3 (2013)
  12. Ant-Man (2015)
  18. Black Panther (2018)

1. Iron Man (2008)
  5. Doctor Strange (2016)
  10. Black Panther (2018)
  13. Thor (2011)
  14. Ant-Man (2015)
  15. Iron Man 3 (2013)
  17. Iron Man 2 (2010)

As this list was compiled 5 months before it's release, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is #1 now. Best Marvel movie by a mile.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Iron Man is still the best IMO.

Not if you grew up reading Iron Man comics and, with the advent of CGI technology, had been waiting for years to see that movie get made because you were looking forward to seeing Iron Man in his Iron Man suit flying around and shooting things up and doing Iron Man things. Had to wait through two shitty Iron Man movies until The Avengers came along and delivered. That wasn’t a very good movie either but at least it was entertaining. (I mean, seriously, if you had the ability to make an aircraft carrier fly then you’d design it so it could operate on land as well as at sea. So fucking stupid. But “Hulk...smash!” was funny.)

13 hours ago, mdmost said:

The Winter Soldier is a fantastic movie. 

It is.  Change all the characters out and make it totally not a comic book movie, and it's still a fantastic movie.  Ominously prescient.

Civil War has grown on me.  Very intimate; just two friends falling out and beating the crap out of eachother.  The movie works because RDJ and Chris Evans are such good actors.