Sports Card Collecting

EZ$

On 1/15/2021 at 4:46 PM, Zwylde said:

It makes me sick thinking about it but that fucking Darren Rovell tweets a new auction record it seems like everyday to remind me but I HAD 3 of these.

Michael-Jordan-rookie.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Sophomore in high school I would buy a pack of these twice a week or so.  Was more into baseball cards but these came out and since I was playing basketball thought it would be cool to have.  Probably ended up with 3 or 4 complete sets.  After he retired and I was a few years out of college with not much money to speak of I figured they were reaching peak value.  Sold all three for $500/piece.  Pretty good return for maybe a $50 investment .  They are now routinely going for $200k, $300k, $400k in auctions.  Of course those prices are for grades of 10 but I no doubt had at least 8's.  I had them in sleeves at least a year or two after purchase and then put into screw down cases once they started getting valuable.  Still got all the rest of the cards though 😂  if anyone wants an Hakeem,  Barkley or Bird.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/michael-jordan-rookie-trading-card-sells-for-a-record-420-000-01598903722

I have one in my safe deposit box in a case.  Sounds like it might be time to get it graded.  Holy shit, had no idea how much they were going for.  I think I bought mine for $40, which was a lot of money to me back then.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I have one in my safe deposit box in a case.  Sounds like it might be time to get it graded.  Holy shit, had no idea how much they were going for.  I think I bought mine for $40, which was a lot of money to me back then.

Let me know if you are looking for a buyer.

eBay stats showed Basketball card sales increased 373% compared to Baseball's 73% during 2020. Pretty insane rise. I have the Upper Deck sets for basketball but just never got into it as much as baseball unfortunately. Now seems like a tough time to get into the market. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Let me know if you are looking for a buyer.
eBay stats showed Basketball card sales increased 373% compared to Baseball's 73% during 2020. Pretty insane rise. I have the Upper Deck sets for basketball but just never got into it as much as baseball unfortunately. Now seems like a tough time to get into the market. 
How do you get cards graded? How safe is it? Needless to say i don't want to send something that valuable off in the mail. 78f42ff2e97834d8856e7268f0a4c094.jpg88fc6c62dab72f02d160ec0c71988401.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

The most popular grading service these days is PSA. There is an insanely long turnaround time because of the resurgent value and popularity of cards. But given the value of that card, you'll submit it with Express service (15 day turnaround, $2,499 max declared value) or Super Express (2 business days, $4,999 max value). If you're not comfortable submitting a card of that value yourself, there are people that will walk it through the grading process for you. You typically need to have an established relationship with them, and it's more common for large submissions. All that said, you have the king of all cards right now, so you can probably find someone who will process just that card for you.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 12:13 PM, CBT said:

And earlier this year, I think he briefly held the '86 Fleer Jordan record until it was demolished. Think he was in about $80K total on two Jordan PSA 10s that subsequently both sold for well north of $100K. He has a third. And yeah, his collection his ridiculous. 

On 2/23/2021 at 9:38 PM, Chewbacca said:

How do you get cards graded? How safe is it? Needless to say i don't want to send something that valuable off in the mail. 78f42ff2e97834d8856e7268f0a4c094.jpg88fc6c62dab72f02d160ec0c71988401.jpg

Very nice card. For a card of that caliber you could probably have it graded and back in your hands in 3 weeks from PSA. Would probably cost to 1-2K to grade though which is the downside.

The market is crazy right now. I was out of it for 25 years and got back in around March and cards have doubled or tripled in “value” since then.  I bought a Rickey Henderson PSA 8 back in the summer for around $100 and now it’s easily going for over $300.  I bought a 1984 Fleer Clemens PSA 8 a couple weeks ago and had it sold for almost double what I paid within 1 hour of taking it out of the envelope and listing it (I had two).  

10 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

The market is crazy right now. I was out of it for 25 years and got back in around March and cards have doubled or tripled in “value” since then.  I bought a Rickey Henderson PSA 8 back in the summer for around $100 and now it’s easily going for over $300.  I bought a 1984 Fleer Clemens PSA 8 a couple weeks ago and had it sold for almost double what I paid within 1 hour of taking it out of the envelope and listing it (I had two).  

There’s some dumb money out there right now.

I may have to go back and look in my stuff.  I know I have a Cal Ripken future stars card in a sleeve somewhere.

Also may have some others from the late 70's through early 80's.  I'd have to find them in all my shit.

I thought this market was dead and figured they were all worth $10-$50 bucks.

Color me shocked as I click through this.  Looks like I have a project.

On 2/23/2021 at 10:38 PM, Chewbacca said:

That is a beautiful card! From the quick scan I did it will come back with a pretty decent grade. Congrats!! I look forward to seeing what grade you get with that.

This is a shot of the display case with the important cards and sports figures from my youth as well as cards I picked up recently of players that were important growing up but I didn't have the funds then to collect the good stuff. (Cutoff to the right is Magic and Texas players collection. The Magic collection, for value, absolutely dwarfs the sports cards total in about a 10th the quantity of cards. But that's another story for another time.) If it's in this case and PSA graded, it's a 9 or a 10. And speaking of crazy prices recently, about 3 Super Bowl wins ago I picked up a PSA 10 (hologramed) 2001 Brady Black Diamond because, of the affordable Brady rookies, it looked by far the best - cool design and coloring. I paid $140. It's been selling at auction from between $5000 (non hologramed) and $10000 (hologramed) within the past few weeks. Jesus.

That 1996 Kobe is also a PSA 10 that I got a few years ago for about $60. It's 5 digits now as well.

Thinking about cashing out my childhood, but probably won't because I'm a sentimental fool.21919359a3eeb51210a7ffe28879cf7d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WillUSAF said:

no back damage. I was very surprised at this 1.5

I know it will be expensive lol  ive been working on this for about 4 years now.

It’s the spot on the front below the glove.  I didn’t look very closely and probably just assumed it was part of the glove when glancing at it for half a second.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 7:12 PM, BoomMF said:

This is a shot of the display case with the important cards and sports figures from my youth as well as cards I picked up recently of players that were important growing up but I didn't have the funds then to collect the good stuff. (Cutoff to the right is Magic and Texas players collection. The Magic collection, for value, absolutely dwarfs the sports cards total in about a 10th the quantity of cards. But that's another story for another time.) If it's in this case and PSA graded, it's a 9 or a 10. And speaking of crazy prices recently, about 3 Super Bowl wins ago I picked up a PSA 10 (hologramed) 2001 Brady Black Diamond because, of the affordable Brady rookies, it looked by far the best - cool design and coloring. I paid $140. It's been selling at auction from between $5000 (non hologramed) and $10000 (hologramed) within the past few weeks. Jesus.

That 1996 Kobe is also a PSA 10 that I got a few years ago for about $60. It's 5 digits now as well.

Thinking about cashing out my childhood, but probably won't because I'm a sentimental fool.

Fantastic collection... I really need to find a good way to put my stuff on display. Getting into graded stuff 5 years ago or so would have been super profitable as I look back. Unfortunately the majority of my collection holds more sentimental than monetary value.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 1:34 PM, ZB'Tejas said:

Fantastic collection... I really need to find a good way to put my stuff on display. Getting into graded stuff 5 years ago or so would have been super profitable as I look back. Unfortunately the majority of my collection holds more sentimental than monetary value.

These are from an Amazon seller (search "graded sports card display") and they're great quality. I'd like a few more to house the pro Longhorns collection (which would need about two of these displays).

And I'm the same way, too sentimental for my own good. Most of these cards take be back to the precise moment in time when I got them and I can still feel that little twinge of excitement when 10-year-old Boom managed to snag them. I mowed lawns all summer for that 1985 Mark McGwire Topps Olympic Team rookie, which I got at a flea market on Harwin in Houston - (Funny-to-me story, when I was little I was the biggest Charlie Hustle fan there was, and though I never got his rookie, I was able to get his 2nd year card which was the prize of my collection for the longest. Then the betting thing happened and I had a "say it ain't so, Joe" moment and turned my back. So, I needed to find a new hero. While thumbing through my cousin's 1987 Topps collection, which is one of the ugliest designs in the modern era mind, I came across a visually stunning card that stood out like a sore thumb. It was of this massive dude wearing green, set against the green A's logo, which popped on that otherwise drab wooden design. I flipped the card over and the factoid was about this guy belting 49 homers as a rookie, an MLB record. Forty-nine homers as a rookie! Well that cinched it, I found my replacement for Pete Rose. This was just in time to catch the Bash Brothers era which began in earnest the next year so things were rosy after all. The moral of this story is I am shit at picking heroes.)

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:36 AM, WillUSAF said:

Picked up this bad boy at a card show yesterday

layne (2).jpg

Where are you going for card shows and are the prices higher or lower than what you find on EBay (same card, but PSA 5 going for $30 and PSA 7 for $100). 

4 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Where are you going for card shows and are the prices higher or lower than what you find on EBay (same card, but PSA 5 going for $30 and PSA 7 for $100). 

I think in general I find eBay has better pricing but card shows are great since no taxes, shipping etc in those prices plus you can barter if buying several things making it around even. Plus you get to see the card in person if not graded.

3 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Is it even worth selling cards if they aren't graded?  I have a bunch of mid-90s basketball cards, including a fair number of Kobe rookie cards.  I'd love to get rid of all of them, but don't know if it's even worth it.

If the cards are in great shape and you think it would get a PSA 7 or better I think they are worth selling. Post some pics here and maybe I will buy them from you.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:26 AM, EZ$ said:

I live near Cleveland, OH (my wife's home) now and I went to a show close to here. I feel that you can get some good deals at shows because the folks with the booths are wanting to sell. I still buy majority of my cards and memorabilia from ebay though I can negotiate better. I bought this PSA 6 for $25. He had it listed at $35. 

On 3/10/2021 at 7:12 PM, BoomMF said:

Thinking about cashing out my childhood, but probably won't because I'm a sentimental fool.21919359a3eeb51210a7ffe28879cf7d.jpg

I'll give you a buck for the Air Bullard

• 1 month later...

Just revisited a part of my collection that hadn't been touched in forever.

1986 Topps football cards.

Looking online, some cards of note:

Jerry Rice 

Steve Young x 3

Bruce Smith

Walter Payton

Is there somewhere local (Houston) that can grade these or at least tell me if they're worth a shit?  I messaged Houston Sports Connection and they don't grade cards..

Just revisited a part of my collection that hadn't been touched in forever.
1986 Topps football cards.
Looking online, some cards of note:
Jerry Rice 
Steve Young x 3
Bruce Smith
Walter Payton
Is there somewhere local (Houston) that can grade these or at least tell me if they're worth a shit?  I messaged Houston Sports Connection and they don't grade cards..

I'll give you $10 for the whole lot.082c5f2ec55d42f515335c0b83f44ad3.gif
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

This may be old news for most of you, but for those of you just getting back into collecting like I am, just know that there's a shit ton of blatant shill bidding happening on eBay.  Here's a cheap card I was following yesterday...I noticed there was a flurry of bids all of a sudden (on a not-very-popular card with few watchers), and looked at the bid history.  These were all actual bids and not automatic ones:

image.thumb.png.ffc0f042bb41730e993056960b8c69fa.png

Notice how the shill bidder/seller kept inching up the price by a dollar until they hit the other bidder's max, then retracted the over-bid that had them winning their own card.  Even more damning is looking at that bidder's stats:

image.png.b96d7eb17a32cd0d8fdaa70e6a9a0b6e.png

2,654 bids in 30 days, 99% of which are only for one seller (himself).  Then a whopping 200 bid retractions in a month.  The nail in the coffin is only having 74 lifetime feedback for that many bids over the course of just a month.  And eBay doesn't do a single thing about it.  Remembering how sleazy some of these people are definitely puts a damper on me getting back into the hobby.  Virtually every card I've been watching from various sellers has the same shady stuff going on.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:18 AM, OU Sucks said:

This may be old news for most of you, but for those of you just getting back into collecting like I am, just know that there's a shit ton of blatant shill bidding happening on eBay.  Here's a cheap card I was following yesterday...I noticed there was a flurry of bids all of a sudden (on a not-very-popular card with few watchers), and looked at the bid history.  These were all actual bids and not automatic ones:

image.thumb.png.ffc0f042bb41730e993056960b8c69fa.png

Notice how the shill bidder/seller kept inching up the price by a dollar until they hit the other bidder's max, then retracted the over-bid that had them winning their own card.  Even more damning is looking at that bidder's stats:

image.png.b96d7eb17a32cd0d8fdaa70e6a9a0b6e.png

2,654 bids in 30 days, 99% of which are only for one seller (himself).  Then a whopping 200 bid retractions in a month.  The nail in the coffin is only having 74 lifetime feedback for that many bids over the course of just a month.  And eBay doesn't do a single thing about it.  Remembering how sleazy some of these people are definitely puts a damper on me getting back into the hobby.  Virtually every card I've been watching from various sellers has the same shady stuff going on.

Shill bidding and all types of shady deals now going on. I've heard of another scheme where someone will buy a $50 card for $100 then just meet the person afterwards and give them the $50 back but boosting the comp prices. You can use PSA price averages to try and avoid some of this but that's hard on newer cards that don't have a big pop report. 

2 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Shill bidding and all types of shady deals now going on. I've heard of another scheme where someone will buy a $50 card for $100 then just meet the person afterwards and give them the $50 back but boosting the comp prices. You can use PSA price averages to try and avoid some of this but that's hard on newer cards that don't have a big pop report. 

Wow, what the hell is wrong with these people?  I also just won an auction for an RPA for a good price (small seller, didn't see any evidence of shill bidding), and the seller probably thought it was too good of a price because he quickly cancelled my order after I immediately paid, citing "item damaged or not in stock".  So the card you took a photo of last week, which was inside a One-Touch, suddenly got lost or damaged.  Surrrreeee buddy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 12:50 PM, OU Sucks said:

Wow, what the hell is wrong with these people?  I also just won an auction for an RPA for a good price (small seller, didn't see any evidence of shill bidding), and the seller probably thought it was too good of a price because he quickly cancelled my order after I immediately paid, citing "item damaged or not in stock".  So the card you took a photo of last week, which was inside a One-Touch, suddenly got lost or damaged.  Surrrreeee buddy.

Since the pandemic started last year I can not tell you how many times that has happened to me. I have gotten to the point that if I really want the card and there is a "buy it now" option I just pay that. There are so many fucking sleazy people out there and all that they are doing is ruining the hobby for some people.

Its too bad that my LCS sucks balls and I have to deal with eBay....

Edited by WillUSAF
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, WillUSAF said:

Since the pandemic started last year I can not tell you how many times that has happened to me. I have gotten to the point that if I really want the card and there is a "buy it now" option I just pay that. There are so many fucking sleazy people out there and all that they are doing is ruining the hobby for some people.

Its too bad that my LCS sucks balls and I have to deal with eBay....

That sucks.  I remember when I was a kid at a mall card show, I watched a father distract a seller, while his 8-10 year old kid was at the other end of the table, sliding a box of cards into a bag (no doubt instructed by his dad).  This hobby really does bring out the sleaziness in people.

• Rage+1 1

I was huge into collecting as a kid, even had a table at a couple of small card shows around the metroplex. Well one guy wrote me a hot check in Richardson for my 1961 Mickey Mantle card (was saving for a nice Ryan rookie). I can still see that fuckers face and that was over 25 years ago.

Also, I'm back dabbling into cards because my kid gets a kick out of it. There is a new scam where people are trimming cards in order to center them for grading. 

Edited by LW Goatman
  • Rage+1 1

When I was big into collecting baseball cards as a kid, my grandmother (who didn't have much money and who certainly didn't know a goddamn thing about baseball cards) sought out a baseball card convention near her home in Sarasota where she bought me a complete set of 1985 Topps cards. 

Or so she thought. 

Some motherfucker saw her coming from a mile away and sold her a full box with most of the stars' cards removed and replaced with what at the time seemed like junk, including gobs of Mark McGuire Olympic cards. 

So ultimately the joke was on him (and I never ran out of pot in high school thanks in part to him), but fuck that guy in the goatass anyway. I just hope he eventually realized his error. 

Collecting anything brings out shitty selfish behavior. Any hobby based on scarcity, valuations, and covetousness will foster some dodgy shit. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom