Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

I like to look at what coaches get on arrival and then leave behind. 

Mack inherited one of the all-time great RBs, persuaded him to stay (probably Sally with the cookies, given Ricky's frequent munchies), two blocks of granite in the middle of the D-line, Q-Jam, Major, Hodges Mitchell, Cavil & McGarity,  Leonard Davis, and DD Lewis. (Who Mack had the sense to move to LB, mostly out dire need, as one of Mackovic's Achilles heels was recruiting LBs. 

Here's what Mack left Charlie: Malcom Brown and Jordan HIcks, Quandre Diggs, and um...a little bit of a fall-off to Hassan Ridgeway, Mykelle Thompson, Geoff Swaim, Duke Thomas (evidently still in the league) and ... Marcus Johnson, I guess. One NFL stud, a couple of solid starters and a few borderline guys.   David Ash and no viable back-up. And a slew of busts (some injury-related like Johnathan Gray and Macolm Brown but many more just shitty evals) and a whole boatload of dickheads. 

Very similar to the thin gruel McWilliams left for Mackovick, minus the dickheads.

Charlie left Herman in much better shape than that, I think we all would agree, with Holton Hill, Dicko, Poona, DeShon, Malik, Ehlinger, Warren III, Conner Williams, Boyd, Locke III, Collin Johnson, Brandon Jones, Shack, the Shark, Roach, Burt, Duvernay, and DaVante and who knows, maybe Lil'Jordan will surprise, somehow, in the league. Charlie's players tend to surprise in the NFL in a good way while late Mack's guys were mainly JAGs in the NFL, at best.

(I tried to weed out transition class guys for the most part, but included Poona for Charlie because there is no way we would have gotten him if not for Charlie.)

On 7/22/2019 at 4:44 AM, Lobo said:

Mackovic accomplished that many conference titles in less than half the time.  

In a 8-team conference without Oklahoma, but those are just minor details right. 

As is making 3 bowl games in 6 years, losing 2 of them.

4 hours ago, Girdwood said:

If he wasn’t such a potato IRL, I’d swear Charlie Strong posted here as MaybeaCoordinator 

Is this an ad hominem attack, or you acknowledging my big ass brain? Either way, argue with the post, not me. 

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

it would be easier to evaluate what Mack left Charlie if Charlie hadn't kicked ten of them off the team or whatever it was

None of them amounted to diddlysquat anywhere else. It would be cooler for you Strong-haters if they did, but they did not.

All of that said, Charlie had to go. I was a big supporter of his right up to, and even for about a week through, the Kansas game, but no matter what I thought about how much he had  walked into a shitshow of epic proportions and improved the talent level immeasurably and set the course for a better future, you just don't lose to Kansas and then get fuckstomped by TCU, again. So he had to go.

Consider him a palate-cleanser, not the "worst coach in Texas history." That would be Evil Mack. 

34 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

In a 8-team conference without Oklahoma, but those are just minor details right. 

How did we beat Nebraska for the Big12 title with "Roll Left" if we were in an 8-team conference without OU?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

How did we beat Nebraska for the Big12 title with "Roll Left" if we were in an 8-team conference without OU?

pyrrhic victory my dude.  a consolation win of conference in a down year. 

team finished 8-5 with a bowl loss. 

mack did better than mackovics 6-2 conf season, for 12 seasons. 

would you take the 1996 longhorns over the 2004 longhorns?

First, I'm wasn't arguing one way or the other. Just reminding you John Mackovic won a Big12 title, since you seemed to have either forgotten or discounted it. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, or don't appreciate it today. Apparently, you're either a Nebraska fan or an aggy. My sympathies. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

pyrrhic victory my dude.  a consolation win of conference in a down year. 

team finished 8-5 with a bowl loss. 

mack did better than mackovics 6-2 conf season, for 12 seasons. 

would you take the 1996 longhorns over the 2004 longhorns?

If each team had equal coaching, I would take the 1996 team over any Mack Brown team except 2005 and 2008. Maybe 2004 and 2009.

The win over Nebraska saved Mackovic's job because that 96 team was terribly mismanaged.

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

it would be easier to evaluate what Mack left Charlie if Charlie hadn't kicked ten of them off the team or whatever it was

Yeah those guys were all real winners.

The talent does not justify anything Chuck did, I mean he went 6-6 with Mack's dudes and then brought his guys in and went 5-7 and lost to Kansas, but Mack's program was absolutely collapsing.

32 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah those guys were all real winners.

my only point was that it's harder to tell precisely how much talent Mack left in the rotting carcass of the program because a lot of what he left-- spoiled, malcontent, drug-addled, whatever-- was excised before Charlie's first game

I'm not advocating for Mack's roster management or latter day recruiting and I'm not arguing Joe Bergeron and Chevoski Collins would have had us in the Cotton Bowl in 2014.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
edit-- "harder", not hard

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Is this an ad hominem attack, or you acknowledging my big ass brain? Either way, argue with the post, not me. 

None of them amounted to diddlysquat anywhere else. It would be cooler for you Strong-haters if they did, but they did not.

All of that said, Charlie had to go. I was a big supporter of his right up to, and even for about a week through, the Kansas game, but no matter what I thought about how much he had  walked into a shitshow of epic proportions and improved the talent level immeasurably and set the course for a better future, you just don't lose to Kansas and then get fuckstomped by TCU, again. So he had to go.

Consider him a palate-cleanser, not the "worst coach in Texas history." That would be Evil Mack. 

Dude, he lost to Kansas. He's sure as fuck is the worst coach in Texas history. 

23 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Mack telling Earl “he was always welcome at UT” after Earl criticized him gently did it for me.  Fuck off Mack.  Earl is Texas royalty.  You were an overpaid employee. 

This right here was one of the heavier straws, although not the final one. Still...

MackBrownTexasFootball - really?

All I am saying is college football coaching is a bitch of a business. It reminds of Hunter Thompson's quote about the TV news industry: "It is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason. There's also a negative side." [To save y'all a fruitless Google to try to prove me wrong, no, he did not say that about the music business. I have the book and it is printed on the page: TV news.]

One year you are a rising star and the next year a fool. I can recall when things got rancid here under Charlie some of y'all were throwing Larry Fedora's name around because he'd had a couple of good years in Chapel Hill. Shit went south there fast, and now his job is held by....the guy who drove our program into the ditch. 

Bobby Petrino was until recently considered a magnificent bastard, but now he just seems like a fraud. He took a very solid program built by Charlie Strong and torpedoed it in a couple of years.

I am relishing the process of witnessing aggy in the midst of this process. The one thing that separates Jimbo from Mack was that Jimbo could see the writing on the wall and bailed before it ruined his reputation. (Now Taggart is trying to pick up the pieces but most likely seeing the ruination of his career, because the Tallahassee situation is uncannily similar to ours year two post-Mack.) Aggy was dumb enough not to see that and mortgaged even more of the future to park a Brinks truck in Fisher's driveway. It is as if they swooped in and "poached" Mack from us in 2010 or so.  (Man, they would have been so much fucking fun, but it would have taken several years to appreciate the joke fully.)

Mack left Charlie a heap of shit. Once Ash went down, any kind of quick turnaround was impossible, whether there was "Coach Potato" on the sidelines or 1978 Tom Landry. You just can't win with no QB for two whole years and a shit offensive line and a bunch of freshmen and sophomores, no matter how talented they may be. It takes more than three years to get out from under all that, and on top of that, it seemed like everything that could have gone wrong did.

Charlie ripped out a bunch of moldy drywall and faulty wiring and repaired the foundation, but left behind a half-finished product. And yeah, after Kansas, he had to go, but he left behind a better program than the one he inherited.

He was a good man who died like a dog here, and a thief took his old job and a pimp is running free at Mt. Vernon HS right now. 

On 7/24/2019 at 11:34 PM, Machinator said:

First time since 2008.

I see Mack is re-creating the "offense sells tickets" buzz of his first run at UNC.  Expect lots of 8-win seasons with no wins against Clemson, which is now playing the role played by FSU in the '90s.

It would be awesome if Spurrier came back just to troll Mack

See the source image

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

All I am saying is college football coaching is a bitch of a business. It reminds of Hunter Thompson's quote about the TV news industry: "It is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason. There's also a negative side." [To save y'all a fruitless Google to try to prove me wrong, no, he did not say that about the music business. I have the book and it is printed on the page: TV news.]

One year you are a rising star and the next year a fool. I can recall when things got rancid here under Charlie some of y'all were throwing Larry Fedora's name around because he'd had a couple of good years in Chapel Hill. Shit went south there fast, and now his job is held by....the guy who drove our program into the ditch. 

Bobby Petrino was until recently considered a magnificent bastard, but now he just seems like a fraud. He took a very solid program built by Charlie Strong and torpedoed it in a couple of years.

I am relishing the process of witnessing aggy in the midst of this process. The one thing that separates Jimbo from Mack was that Jimbo could see the writing on the wall and bailed before it ruined his reputation. (Now Taggart is trying to pick up the pieces but most likely seeing the ruination of his career, because the Tallahassee situation is uncannily similar to ours year two post-Mack.) Aggy was dumb enough not to see that and mortgaged even more of the future to park a Brinks truck in Fisher's driveway. It is as if they swooped in and "poached" Mack from us in 2010 or so.  (Man, they would have been so much fucking fun, but it would have taken several years to appreciate the joke fully.)

Mack left Charlie a heap of shit. Once Ash went down, any kind of quick turnaround was impossible, whether there was "Coach Potato" on the sidelines or 1978 Tom Landry. You just can't win with no QB for two whole years and a shit offensive line and a bunch of freshmen and sophomores, no matter how talented they may be. It takes more than three years to get out from under all that, and on top of that, it seemed like everything that could have gone wrong did.

Charlie ripped out a bunch of moldy drywall and faulty wiring and repaired the foundation, but left behind a half-finished product. And yeah, after Kansas, he had to go, but he left behind a better program than the one he inherited.

He was a good man who died like a dog here, and a thief took his old job and a pimp is running free at Mt. Vernon HS right now. 

Why was Chuckles a "good man"? Because he's black? Or is there something that actually reflects it in factual ways beyond politicizing the motherfucker? He was named the other man in a divorce suit in Louisville, while he was coaching at Texas. He took our program into the fucking toilet in fundamentally embarrassing ways. I mean, we will hear about Kansas for the rest of our lives as fans. The guy was easily the worst coach in UT history statistically. He recruited okay in certain spots and left a fucking shithole on the depth chart at OL. 

Also, the premise that poor, sweet, sweet Charles was left with nothing and could nothing about it for years is laughable. He could have gone out and recruited a fucking juco QB, or several, and had an insta-fix to part of his problems. He didn't just fail to do that in year 1. He failed to do that every year he was here. Why? Because he was a fucking idiot. Coaches everywhere come into bad situations and the good ones aggressively and promptly fix it in an organized manner. The bad ones can't get out of their own way and flounder. And then there's Chuck, who walked out onto the metaphorical 50 yard line of the college football world, pulled his pants down, and aggressively buttfucked Bevo until they both passed out.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Is tire fire the new dumpster fire?

Tire fires are events that involve the combustion of large quantities of tires, typically in locations where they are stored, dumped, or processed. They exist in two forms: as fast-burning events, leading to almost immediate loss of control, and as slow-burning pyrolysis which can continue for over a decade

What say you, surly?  

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why was Chuckles a "good man"? Because he's black? Or is there something that actually reflects it in factual ways beyond politicizing the motherfucker? He was named the other man in a divorce suit in Louisville, while he was coaching at Texas. He took our program into the fucking toilet in fundamentally embarrassing ways. I mean, we will hear about Kansas for the rest of our lives as fans. The guy was easily the worst coach in UT history statistically. He recruited okay in certain spots and left a fucking shithole on the depth chart at OL. 

Also, the premise that poor, sweet, sweet Charles was left with nothing and could nothing about it for years is laughable. He could have gone out and recruited a fucking juco QB, or several, and had an insta-fix to part of his problems. He didn't just fail to do that in year 1. He failed to do that every year he was here. Why? Because he was a fucking idiot. Coaches everywhere come into bad situations and the good ones aggressively and promptly fix it in an organized manner. The bad ones can't get out of their own way and flounder. And then there's Chuck, who walked out onto the metaphorical 50 yard line of the college football world, pulled his pants down, and aggressively buttfucked Bevo until they both passed out.

And he structured his USF contract to fuck Texas. Because that is what good guys do when they give their best but come up just short of previous worst in history and so get fired.

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

And he structured his USF contract to fuck Texas. Because that is what good guys do when they give their best but come up just short of previous worst in history and so get fired.

He didn't do it to fuck Texas, he did it to help his new employer (though I'm sure he didn't mind that his old one was footing the majority of the bill). And yet, he's still struggling at USF.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:39 PM, closetojumping said:

Hello darkness, my old friend. I see I have brought you out again. 

1. The shithole he left behind at OL was slightly less bad than the one Mack left behind. As for QBs, he tried and failed to get Wittek, and that was because a) Wittek's fault; and we should have been relieved because,  b) Wittek sucked anyway. 

2. Always a pleasure to read your honied prose. You are the Percy Foreman of this and all predecessor sites -- you  are able and very willing to defend false premises with salvoes of well-written 100 percent bullshit. I admire that. I do.

But no, Mack did in fact leave behind a program that was rotting and getting funkier by the day.

You just cannot argue against it.

Do you deny that?

Some of the real dedicated recruiting dorks over here that we love and adore once put together a list of Mack's big targets for the years after we finally gave him the boot, and it was pretty terrifying in retrospect. Actually, you could laugh at it, a little bit, because it did not come to pass. Some were run of the mill busts, I seem to recall a criminal or two, but none went on to be a fucking football player worthy of the name. 

Add that to the fact that the University of fucking Texas fucking Longhorns stopped turning out draftable players under Mack's watch. Charlie absolutely reversed that trend. 

My point is, and has been for the last couple of years is, that Charlie Strong left behind a better program than the one he came in to. 

We can argue all you want about who might have been a better hire back then, but what I just said is a fact. I have shown you with the dozen or so NFL quality players he left behind, as opposed to the three or four legit NFL starters Mack left him. You can hate-jerk-it some more if you want about other aspects of the Strong tenure, but that is a fact. He left a better program behind than the one he found. 

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Hello darkness, my old friend. I see I have brought you out again. 

1. The shithole he left behind at OL was slightly less bad than the one Mack left behind. As for QBs, he tried and failed to get Wittek, and that was because a) Wittek's fault; and we should have been relieved because,  b) Wittek sucked anyway. 

2. Always a pleasure to read your honied prose. You are the Percy Foreman of this and all predecessor sites -- you  are able and very willing to defend false premises with salvoes of well-written 100 percent bullshit. I admire that. I do.

But no, Mack did in fact leave behind a program that was rotting and getting funkier by the day.

You just cannot argue against it.

Do you deny that?

Some of the real dedicated recruiting dorks over here that we love and adore once put together a list of Mack's big targets for the years after we finally gave him the boot, and it was pretty terrifying in retrospect. Actually, you could laugh at it, a little bit, because it did not come to pass. Some were run of the mill busts, I seem to recall a criminal or two, but none went on to be a fucking football player worthy of the name. 

Add that to the fact that the University of fucking Texas fucking Longhorns stopped turning out draftable players under Mack's watch. Charlie absolutely reversed that trend. 

My point is, and has been for the last couple of years is, that Charlie Strong left behind a better program than the one he came in to. 

We can argue all you want about who might have been a better hire back then, but what I just said is a fact. I have shown you with the dozen or so NFL quality players he left behind, as opposed to the three or four legit NFL starters Mack left him. You can hate-jerk-it some more if you want about other aspects of the Strong tenure, but that is a fact. He left a better program behind than the one he found. 

You literally failed to address anything I said, then accused me of being full of shit while doing so. Congrats on that attempt at whole cloth deflection. 

I didn’t craft a defense agaisnt Mack Brown as I ran Chuckles over. I don’t need to do so. I despise both guys and they’re independent in terms of what they did or didn’t do. 

I said Charlie isn’t exactly a great guy just because you say he is. I asked for you to defend your position while offering specifics that argue against it. 

I said Choll walked into a bad situation, like most new coaches not named Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day, and he did shockingly poorly compared to even other bad hires. He posted 3 consecutive losing seasons at Texas. A sped like you could probably summon a winning season at least once in 3 tries on UT’s campus  

I referenced he failed to address issues, specifically QB, with any sense of urgency. You limpdicked a response with Max Wittek, then blamed Wittek, and then that’s it. There were 100+ JUCO and transfer QBs signed to FBS schools in Chuckie’s first two years on campus. Max Wittek wasn’t the fucking problem. Dipshit headcoaching was the problem. 

Try as you might to knock the windmills down with a strong lean and blowhard breath, there is no escaping the reality that Charlie Strong was the worst head coach in Texas history. He was an embarressment while here and he’s failing at his new role, on UT’s dime, currently as well. In many ways, you are the posting equivalent of Sweet Chuck’s UT performance - a lot of activity frantically attempting to manufacture some form of disorganized success, but in the end, it’s just discombobulated, hurried stoogery that isn’t necessarily worth the effort for those trapped into observing it. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 6:17 PM, Machinator said:

He didn't do it to fuck Texas, he did it to help his new employer (though I'm sure he didn't mind that his old one was footing the majority of the bill). And yet, he's still struggling at USF.

Only he knows his motivation. My point was that he deliberately, assuming he was astute enough to understand the terms, signed a deal custom crafted to let USF and him take advantage of his former employer. The employer that had already paid him handsomely for what can honestly and without exaggeration be described as statistically the worst anyone has ever done in his former position. Over the course of more than a century. There is a word for guys who do this, and it is not “nice,” and it is not “good” (at least not in the sense of upright and virtuous). He’s gone, and I wish him well. I personally bought into the “good guy” image at one point. But we don’t really have objective evidence of his heroic virtue, or even exceptional virtue.

If he hadn’t structured his contract the way he did at USF, he would have been paid the same by USF (total over X years) but less by Texas, correct? So he would have made less money total between the two schools. Maximizing his money seems to be in his family’s best interest more than it being about “fucking over Texas.”

Edited by Murfdogg21

Jesus, there's a lot of words being wasted on this thread. Defending Charlie Strong by saying he left the program in better shape than he found it is stupid.

It's true that he left Herman a better roster than Mack left him; all that proves, though, is how bad he was at coaching that roster. Thank God firing Charlie became inevitable, because otherwise, we would have been better off letting Ol' Butterteeth continue to mail it in. We'd be like aggy with Jimbo, but at least we wouldn't lose to fucking Kansas.

Thank God our standards aren't as low as this thread makes it feel like they are.

The fact is, the persons who "fucked Texas" are the ADs who signed that fucking contract. I'm looking at DeLoss Dodds and Steve Patterson. You might make an argument that the UT legal staff that okayed those are at least co-traitors. I'm supposing that Jamail or the like would be the brains behind the coaches' side. I cannot imagin signing a contract which allows a fired coach to collect full pay regardless of his employment: in my world, the terms would restrict such payments to situations in which the particular coach is NOT employed in any capacity in which he makes use of the same faculties which he did (or should have) used in his coaching job. Mainly, in general terms, if he has a football-related job, no payments. Mack worked as a talking football head at ESPN, should have had zip coming from us; Charlie worked as a head coach for Directional Florida (insert jokes about "working" here), we should have had no duty to "make up" his salary shortfalls, if any.

Those two guys seem to be reasonably likable people in some circumstances, but come across as completely worthless dog-fuckers in others. 

Fuck. Them. Both.

• Like 1

Good luck with that.  Contract clauses like that are just part of the going rate these days.  I bet Tom has similar language in his contract.  Who gives a shit?  Pay them to leave and move on.   Anyway, sorry for the distraction, let's talk about Charlie fucking Strong some more.