Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

If Mack was brought in to stabilize the program while grooming some up-and-coming coordinator to take over in a few years, this would make some sense. 

But then again, the HC-in-waiting thing didn't really follow the script the first time around.

I think this is probably what they are thinking.  Odds of him saying "put the bb's back in the box" at the first presser?

• Like 1

I can't stand Mack Brown. I hate the way he handled the end of his time at Texas. I fucking hate the way he got fat and lazy after winning the title. I despise his behavior with the press, his real views on the fans, and all of the whiny bullshit he brings to the table every day he shows up to collect money. I cannot fucking handle listening to his fat ass on tv, either. 

That all considered, I think this is a great hire for UNC. If Brown hires young talent to support him, he's got virtually no headwinds working against him. He inherits a modicum of talent to work with and he's in a talent rich area. He's at a school where football is second and he can take his fat fucking time figuring out his roster before there's pressure to win. He can actually develop someone underneath him to inherit the reins, since he really is in his twilight now. He knows how to run a program when motivated. He ran a juggernaut at Texas. He knows UNC. He can handle the role there. 

I also think this is great for the ACC. There's no one in that conference right now doing anything to rival Clemson. Brown will recruit. He'll win some head-up battles with Clemson and FSU, too. He works well with a chip on his shoulder and that old dickhead has something to prove. 

I will cheer for him to be successful to the levels UNC is capable of being successful, and I will be highly entertained by his weak bullshit and my continued loathing of the man. It will make CFB even more fun for me. If UNC fucking blows and this guy takes a complete dump on his legacy at both schools? Shit, that might even be better. I do not feel like I can lose on this one. This hire is great news.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i'm glad he's not our coach anymore, but i don't see any reason for all the "terrible hire" takes.  i'm sure he can get them to 8-4 type of status and that's a fuck ton better than they've been recently. 

If he can pull Kliff, Gene, and Brewster he will be very successful in a conference where Clemson is not in his division and the rest of it is trash year in and year out.

• Like 1

At first I thought he could win with great coordinators, but now I don’t think he can. He’s never been a great x and o guy, and his recruiting may not be very good because he’s too old. With all that said, it’s not a terrible idea for NC to give him two years to get the ship moving in the right direction.

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can't stand Mack Brown. I hate the way he handled the end of his time at Texas. I fucking hate the way he got fat and lazy after winning the title. I despise his behavior with the press, his real views on the fans, and all of the whiny bullshit he brings to the table every day he shows up to collect money. I cannot fucking handle listening to his fat ass on tv, either. 

That all considered, I think this is a great hire for UNC. If Brown hires young talent to support him, he's got virtually no headwinds working against him. He inherits a modicum of talent to work with and he's in a talent rich area. He's at a school where football is second and he can take his fat fucking time figuring out his roster before there's pressure to win. He can actually develop someone underneath him to inherit the reins, since he really is in his twilight now. He knows how to run a program when motivated. He ran a juggernaut at Texas. He knows UNC. He can handle the role there. 

I also think this is great for the ACC. There's no one in that conference right now doing anything to rival Clemson. Brown will recruit. He'll win some head-up battles with Clemson and FSU, too. He works well with a chip on his shoulder and that old dickhead has something to prove. 

I will cheer for him to be successful to the levels UNC is capable of being successful, and I will be highly entertained by his weak bullshit and my continued loathing of the man. It will make CFB even more fun for me. If UNC fucking blows and this guy takes a complete dump on his legacy at both schools? Shit, that might even be better. I do not feel like I can lose on this one. This hire is great news.

Agree with this, in the sense that I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that Brown will suck. You don't win as much as he did and build two programs up (one of which we have seen can be as dysfunctional as they come) without knowing a thing or two. The desire to pull this off is the biggest question with Brown. If I was KK, I would look to take my talents to the NFL as the time has never been more right for that type of offense, but who would bet against Brown on selling a season or two to a good OC? What you can be mad about if you are a UNC fan is that better, lower potential for disaster options existed and it doesn't appear that the admin pursued them exhaustively. I mean, what's the rush here? Was Brown going anywhere?

33 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

If Mack was brought in to stabilize the program while grooming some up-and-coming coordinator to take over in a few years, this would make some sense. 

But then again, the HC-in-waiting thing didn't really follow the script the first time around.

I thought Mack screwed him by not agreeing to an end date? Dude became the HCIW in 2008 when Mack had a contract running through 2016

4 minutes ago, naija said:

Agree with this, in the sense that I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that Brown will suck. You don't win as much as he did and build two programs up (one of which we have seen can be as dysfunctional as they come) without knowing a thing or two. The desire to pull this off is the biggest question with Brown. If I was KK, I would look to take my talents to the NFL as the time has never been more right for that type of offense, but who would bet against Brown on selling a season or two to a good OC? What you can be mad about if you are a UNC fan is that better, lower potential for disaster options existed and it doesn't appear that the admin pursued them exhaustively. I mean, what's the rush here? Was Brown going anywhere?

i agree with you on this, BUT he took over the UNC job 30 years ago (88) and took over the Texas job 20 years ago (98)

a LOT has changed with CFB since 1998. rebuilding a program is totally different. appealing to kids now is totally different. scheme is totally different and has to be able to change quickly based on what is new/different and what talent you have - neither of which were strong points for him at Texas. you have to be willing to make changes with coordinators/coaches when it isn't working - which he has struggled with. 

could it work out? sure. but Mack finished extremely poorly at Texas, has been out of the game since 2013, is now 67 and didn't exactly impress anyone with his work as an analyst. 

1 hour ago, TheFlagship said:

What a horrendous hire. 

I may be in the minority, but I think it is a pretty solid move. Mack has already proved he can win big at UNC and had them as a top 10 program, has ties to the area, and can recruit when he damn well feels like it. I figure he will damn well feel like it at least until he gets extended. His OC hire will be key, especially if he is able to bring on Chizik or someone similar as DC.  

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, exactly this. 

I don't know if he can get them to 8-4 or not, but even if he goes 4-8 three straight years and gets canned, they're hardly worse off and there's a good chance his neurotic anal-retentive routine will help improve a lot of the atmospherics around UNC football, a la Come Early Wear Orange etc etc

BON's staff strike me as the kind of millenial writers who think UNC should hire Kevin Kelley from Pulaski Academy or maybe Condoleeza Rice. Or possibly a Madden champ.

• Like 1

• Machinator changed the title to Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo