Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

On 9/13/2019 at 2:26 AM, Thermos H. Christ said:

Y'all still holding a grudge against Mack need to chill out. He was a net positive for this program, by a huge margin, beyond any doubt. Things went off the rails at the end there and pushing him out was the right and necessary thing to do, but he can't hurt you anymore. It's not like this is Art Briles or Joe Paterno we're talking about, his failings were fielding a mediocre football team and being thin-skinned/egotistical. As far as bad guys among college football coaches, he doesn't even register. How you gonna root against an old man taking one more shot at redemption?

eh whatever. edited. its much more than 'going off the rails' at the end. he was bad for > 5 years there at the end on many levels.

*practicing letting go*

Hope to see him successful at UNC. I love their baby blues. 

Edited by staboner

On 9/12/2019 at 11:26 AM, Thermos H. Christ said:

Y'all still holding a grudge against Mack need to chill out. He was a net positive for this program, by a huge margin, beyond any doubt. Things went off the rails at the end there and pushing him out was the right and necessary thing to do, but he can't hurt you anymore. It's not like this is Art Briles or Joe Paterno we're talking about, his failings were fielding a mediocre football team and being thin-skinned/egotistical. As far as bad guys among college football coaches, he doesn't even register. How you gonna root against an old man taking one more shot at redemption?

This he brought us a natty and the best run since DKR and ppl will still find a way to complain. I swear Surly would complain about tight pussy. 

Edited by TXs
  • Like 2

Gotta admit, I haven't kept up with this thread even though I'm living in the UNC equivalent of West Campus. I haven't heard two words about football from locals, and I haven't seen any blue clock towers, either. Of course, the woods here are so thick and tall, the first time I noticed the stadium,  I was stunned, because I had walked past it five or six times prior without even noticing it was there.
Mack can appropriate all he likes from Austin, it won't matter. This is a basketball town, and not even a five year undefeated streak in football would change that.

Bullshit. They were loving Mack and he had a lot of support and attendance his first term there. There were some bitter fans I ran into after he left. They will all come around if the program reaches 8+ wins.

Damn, I'm rooting for Mack but this quote had me shaking my head

"We're continuing to try to find our identity, and our identity so far is, we start slow, we dig ourselves in a huge hole and we come back and fight," coach Mack Brown said. "The first two weeks, we made the plays to win at the end of a game, and the last two weeks, we've run out of time and didn't have a chance to do the things we need to do."

You never go full aggy, Mack

10 hours ago, Horny04 said:

"We're continuing to try to find our identity, and our identity so far is, we start slow, we dig ourselves in a huge hole and we come back and fight," coach Mack Brown said.

Go back and watch so many of the games you coached at Texas, Mack. Go ahead, watch them. We'll wait... 

On 9/12/2019 at 11:33 AM, WBT said:

Some of them win more than 2 conference championships in 16 years though

If we dont win the Big XII this year it will be the first DECADE ever Texas will have not one its conference and tieing the longest streak ever.  Longest was 1930 to 1942.  2nd longest was 1995 to 2006. 

Half of this decade is directly on Mack and part of the other half is indirectly his fault. 

But you guys go back to beating off to your copy of Tiger Beat with Mack on the cover and bask on the 2 CCs and 1 MNC he brought in 16 years while mostly being OUs bitch for the other years.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Macanudo said:

If we dont win the Big XII this year it will be the first DECADE ever Texas will have not one its conference and tieing the longest streak ever.  Longest was 1930 to 1942.  2nd longest was 1995 to 2006. 

Half of this decade is directly on Mack and part of the other half is indirectly his fault. 

But you guys go back to beating off to your copy of Tiger Beat with Mack on the cover and bask on the 2 CCs and 1 MNC he brought in 16 years while mostly being OUs bitch for the other years.

Shoulda gone with Gary Barnett.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Macanudo said:

don't*

won*

tying*

OU's*

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 12:04 PM, Macanudo said:

I would have settled for just being OU's bitch for those 4 Black Saturdays.   

We were their bitch by the half.   From that point on it was unspeakable. 

On 9/22/2019 at 12:04 PM, Macanudo said:

I was thinking something similar at the game Saturday when looking at the championship years on the stadium.

There was a period in the 60s and 70s where we won something like 8 of 10 swc championships. I know we we had been wandering the desert since DKR but fucking Mackovic even won 2 conference titles and shared another in a third fewer seasons.

• Like 2

Mackovick would stumble along but rise up to a big challenge. Brown was the exact opposite. 

Brown’s best coaching was when he let go of the reins after OU in 2004 and let VY, the OL, and the Defensive leaders take control of the team (and leave Fatdog on the sidelines) and the team didn’t lose again while VY was at UT. 

Edited by Napoleon
Website error

7 hours ago, El Squared said:

FUPM hands should be donated to the Smithsonian whenever he passes, and the world’s clap happiest man.

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Jason Garrett filed a protest claim. 

I see another Texas A&M vs Seattle Seahawks legal battle where college & pro have to just agree to disagree  

On 9/12/2019 at 12:26 PM, Thermos H. Christ said:

I'll forgive him once we fully recover from him and win a Big 12 championship again. 

Just now, Deej said:

Mack Brown will be in his element. He's missed that one big Saturday every Fall where he shits the bed.

I don't know... expectations are so low around here that he may actually perform pretty well tomorrow. I wouldn't, like, put money on it or anything, but he's more likely to shit the bed against NC-State or somebody like that. Hell, he'll probably cause UNC basketball to choke like asthmatic chickens against Duke. But there's literally no dynamic here even remotely like Texas/OU. 

I would describe the atmosphere around here as:  full of pot smoke and patchouli.

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't know... expectations are so low around here that he may actually perform pretty well tomorrow. I wouldn't, like, put money on it or anything, but he's more likely to shit the bed against NC-State or somebody like that. Hell, he'll probably cause UNC basketball to choke like asthmatic chickens against Duke. But there's literally no dynamic here even remotely like Texas/OU. 

I would describe the atmosphere around here as:  full of pot smoke and patchouli.

There was no atmosphere like TX-OU back when Mack's Carolina teams were getting their heads kicked in by FSU either.  It was still the one game he just couldn't win at UNC.