Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Hot take coming in fast.

14 minutes ago, satyanash said:

That's a high bar to cross, worst CFB hire ever.

Mack would have to be worse the Kevin Steele at Baylor, Chuck Fairbanks at CU, Dan Hawkins at CU, Jon Embree at CU and...I think I'm sensing a pattern.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

after BYU, Ole Miss, Cal, and Maryland? no more middle of the pack P5* opponents please

* technically doesn't apply to BYU but whatever

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As innocuous as cal or Maryland 

Sweet Christ, you two are massive pussies. 

Mike Price was the worst hire in the history of college football. I mean, the guy never even got to coach a game there.

And I could give a rat's ass about how this works out for North Carolina, but I'm in for a minimum because of the entertainment value and completely in for the potential schadenfreude. Shit, his introductory press conference will have about 200 posts here. Somebody fire up the bingo card. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

28 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

you don't even have to click on that shit to realize that it's pure garbage.

More from the 'author' in the comments section (he clearly wears skinny jeans):

His first three years at UNC happened

before I was born. You guys remember its 2018 right? Just because something happened 30 years ago doesn’t mean its smart to try and replicate it again.

Edited by clapclapclap

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Return of the Mack

Oh the shark, babe
Has such teeth, dear
And he shows them
Pearly white
Just a jackknife
Has old Macheath, babe
And he keeps it
Out of sight

You know when that shark bites
With his teeth, babe
Scarlet billows
Start to spread
Fancy gloves, though
Wears ol' Macheath, babe
So there's never, never a trace of red

Now, on the side walk, ooh Sunday morning, uh huh
Lies a body just oozing life. EEK!
And someone's sneaking round the corner
Could that someone be Mack the Knife?

There's a tugboat down by the river, don't you know
Where a cement bag's just a drooping on down
Oh that cement is just, it's there for the weight, dear

Five'll get ya ten, ol' Mackie's back in town

Now did ya hear 'bout Louie Miller?
He disappeared, babe
After drawing out all his hard earned cash
And now Macheath spends, just like a sailor
Could it be, our boy's done something rash?

Now, Jenny Diver, Suky Tawdry
Oh, Miss Lotte Lenya, and ol' Lucy Brown

Oh the line forms on the right, babe
Now that Mackie's back in town

I said, Jenny Diver, oh Suky Tawdry
Look out, Miss Lotte Lenya, and ol' Lucy Brown
Yes, that line forms on the right, babe
Now that Mackie's back in town
Look out ol' Mackie is back!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I doubt Mack has forgotten how to recruit. I do know Mack is no longer able to evaluate talent. He'll just go on 247 and find the highest rated guys in NC and the surrounding area and go recruit them.

Well, in his defense, that would be better than the shit show Fedora was bringing them.

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I doubt Mack has forgotten how to recruit. I do know Mack is no longer able to evaluate talent. He'll just go on 247 and find the highest rated guys in NC and the surrounding area and go recruit them.

There is a lot of talent in NC that is leaving NC to the states surrounding it.  If he can get those players and develop them it would be a great hire.  Develop is the keyword though...don't know if he has it in him and if he doesn't then he will need to make the right hires to do it, which he has shown to not be very good at in the latter part of his time here. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

That all considered, I think this is a great hire for UNC. If Brown hires young talent to support him, he's got virtually no headwinds working against him. He inherits a modicum of talent to work with and he's in a talent rich area.

Exactly how good is their roster? Brown captained an immediate turnaround at Texas but with NFL talent all over the place. He also started 2-20 his first time around at North Carolina.

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

If Mack was brought in to stabilize the program while grooming some up-and-coming coordinator to take over in a few years, this would make some sense. 

But then again, the HC-in-waiting thing didn't really follow the script the first time around.

This is exactly what’s happening. Apparently Fedora destroyed the relationships with HS coaches there. Mack is coming to mend fences and groom successor.  

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I demand watch threads of all of his UNC press conferences. I want to hear about the great kids from the great high schools of North Carolina. How NC State is the best in the country. Wake Forest scares you to death. The Duke head coach is a good friend of his.

BUT DO THEY HAVE CASITAS?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Exactly how good is their roster? Brown captained an immediate turnaround at Texas but with NFL talent all over the place. He also started 2-20 his first time around at North Carolina.

Then his UNC team had 6, 7, and 9 wins.

Similar positive trajectory at Tulane.

God knows Texas has never disappointed with top talent...

I think that you could argue that Brown "burnt out" at Texas.  I really think he thought Colt and company were gonna take 'Bama and he was gonna take some time off.  Obviously that did not happen and that's when I think he lost his fire and thus his intensity.  Coaching is I do think addictive, expecially if you really want to make kids grow up into better people.  For the most part I think Brown did a good job of that aspect of coaching at every place he landed, including Texas.  

I also think he has a special place in his heart for North Carolina, as his teams sucked dick his first two years or so and the school stuck with him giving hims time to build a program. I think that being away for a few will have lit Mack's fire again to coach kids.  I know I miss it, and think Mack just wants to go back and make a difference in the lives of young men.  He knows the importance of developing the pipeline with the endorsement of high school coaches, and he will do well at NC IMO.  He also is a loyal guy to work for (despite my hatred of Greg Davis). There are good guys out there that could be potential staff and I think Brown is doing it for reason's other than money.  Hell if you get $500K to go eat dinners and check out some practices, you don't take on a real job like head coach. You go find more endorsement deals... if money is your goal.

I wish Brown and his future staff the very best! Looking at his side of the ACC, I would expect success to be very possible! As dead last and winless in the ACC the only direction to go is Up!  It will never be Mack Brown DKR stadium, but I could could see Mack Brown Memorial in Chapel Hill if Brown revives the program and becomes "the baby blue wizard" of the Chappel Hill as his final legacy.

Edited by horn4life

5 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I think that you could argue that Brown "burnt out" at Texas.  I really think he thought Colt and company were gonna take 'Bama and he was gonna take some time off.  Obviously that did not happen and that's when I htink he lost his fire and thus his intensity.  Coaching is I do think addictive, expecially if you really want to make kids grow up into better people.  for the most part I think Brown did a good job of that aspect of coaching while at every place he landed including Texas.  

I also think he has a special place in his heart for North Carolina, as his teams sucked dick his first two years or so and they school stuck with him giving hims time to build a program. I think that being away for a few will have lit Mack's fire again to coach kids.  I know I miss it and think Mack just want's to go back and make a difference in the lives of young men.  He knows the importance of developing the pipeline with the endorsement of high school coaches, and he will do well at NC IMO.  

There are good guys out there that could be potential staff and I think Brown is doing it for reason's other than money.  Hell if you get $500K to go eat dinners and check out some practices, you don't take on a real job like head coach. You go find more endorsement deals...

I wish Brown and his future staff the very best. Looking at his side of the ACC, I would expect success to be very possible! As dead last and winless in the ACC the only direction to go is Up!  it will never be Mack Brown DKR stadium, but I could could see Mack Brown Memorial in Chapel Hill if Brown revives the program and becomes "the baby blue wizard" of the Chappel Hill as his final legacy.

Hi, Mack!  How’s Sally?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Saw where he might be trying to bring Kingsbury and Chizik with him. That might be a pretty good staff. 

Chizik was just the DC at UNC in 15-16 and gave up 645 yards rushing to a crippled team of rape enthusiasts, and ranked solidly in the bottom half of defense nationally. 

• Like 1

• Machinator changed the title to Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo