Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

3 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

Nope, for the very reason you cite. The overall talent on campus at the end of Mack's tenure was mediocre and would have dwindled fast as recruiting continued to collapse. Mack would have had losing seasons the same as Charlie and there would have been even less in the cupboard when Herman or someone else finally took over. Mack did a lot for Texas, but his time was up and nothing good would have come from dragging that dead horse around any further. 

I hope for Mack's sake this UNC venture doesn't end as badly as it could. That's a rebuild project. He's 68, hasn't coached for five years, and was past his prime with us. Unless his time on the sidelines has given him some seriously renewed vim and vigor, it could be sad.   

I expect it to go exactly like spurrier at SCar.

and he probably landed the job promising Kliff and Chiz, but failing to get those he brings in GDGD and bull Reese, get the gang back together and whatnot. 

21 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Dick Crum is an unfortunate name.

Mack can surely string four wins together to be winningest HC in UNC football history. Wipe that Dick Crum record away. It can’t be that hard. lol. Sorry. Can’t help myself. Not a bad gig to come back to if four wins is all you need...all kidding aside. 

Edited by Nicole44

FUPM is most likely a placeholder for a couple years with maybe landing a few good recruits for the “active “coach that will follow.

If it’s all about ego, he never seemed to have concerns there ....even when  his ego was  pissed upon after Colt.

Certainly not after 2010. He became a smaller, yellower teethed version of Jerrah Jones, “just take the money, the brand sells itself”.

His teams sucked afterwards, no player development even after gutting the staff.

I heard this on Sunday morning and my first thought was “that clap clap clappin’, butter toofed, gold bricking, killing himself in Florida son of a bitch! He just backstabbed his own boy Fedora with the UNC boosters whose taints he used to lick to get himself a P5 gig and back in the national spotlight (at least in his own mind)!”

Edited by Murfdogg21

18 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Even our coordinators could not go after the targets they wanted, so we missed out on guys our coaches felt fit their schemes in favor of guys Mack wanted here who may or may not have fit our schemes. Mostly those recruits were just guys highly rated by recruiting analysts, many of whom didn't know shit from shinola.

In fall 2003 (if not earlier), per a former player who showed interest in coaching after football and asked to sit in meetings with coaches, the first pass screening of prospects was Rivals and Dave Campbell’s. After that it was based on prestige of player’s HS or coach, team’s record (good players come from good teams right?!), and the players’ stats (because high school stats are all that matter too, regardless of competition, right?!). After all that, they may have sent a lower level coach to watch a game, or film. How the player signing might affect Recruiting Rankings and influence other recruits was a big consideration. How the player would develop over 4-5 years and how they fit in with scheme mattered very little. 

I think Mack would do well back at UNC. It's a good gig for him, he did well there back when, and he's probably still a good coach. All he has to do is get past some also-rans and lose to Clemson and a couple other hefties each year and BOOM. Mack's back.
I've always liked UNC. We lived in Charlotte for a bit when I was young and it was my first game. Got to hug Ramsey. Can't say I'm a fan but I like to see them do well.

This.

Sent from Tapatalk.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What a cool deal. Going to coach these kids up. Larry is a good friend a left the program in great shape. Coaching changes scare you to death, but Sally is ready to bake some cookies which will help with explosive plays

so no "bb's back in the box"? I am disappoint. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I am actually planning to move to the Chapel Hill area next summer, so this whole thing seems kinda surreal to me. I seriously doubt I will be investing in UNC football tickets (probably wouldn't have, anyway, but this seals the deal).

Good to hear you’re getting out of the Shithole.

9 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Now that Mack is back is the ACC, let's come up with a list of things that will scare him to death in his new (old) conference:

CLEMSON

1. Tiger Mascot
  2. The way players run don a hill before the game
  3. The football team itself.

NC STATE

Ah I hit send too fast. Run DOWN a hill.

NC STATE

1. Is that a real wolfpack? scares you to death

2. 28 mile road trip?  Too short to get the team focused.

VA TECH

1. Enter Sandman

2. That gobbling sound they play after 1st downs

GA TECH

1. Mack probably remembers how scary the neighborhood around campus was in the early 90's

2. Bees!

FSU

1. That flaming spear seems unsafe

2. So much talent (used even when the team is terrible )

MIAMI

1. Their football program from 20 years ago

MARYLAND

1. What, they left? (Was afraid of snapping turtles)

LOUISVILLE

1. How can a bird have teeth?!?!

DUKE AND WAKE FOREST

1. Devils and Demons? Scare you to death.

PITT, SYRACUSE AND BC

1. road trips up north, it might be cold, even inside the dome.

• Haha 1

• Machinator changed the title to Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo