Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Does Ukraine have any subs of their own?

I don't think so and if they do it's probably rotting away in some shipyard.  I can probably name every country that has a submarine but I don't remember anything about Ukraine.  Maybe a prototype diesel sub but I don't think that's even the case.  It's incredibly expensive to maintain one and they really have no.need for one except til now I guess

All the talk about the oligarchs rising up against Putin is wish casting.  He's there because of them not in spite of them.  They've been able to pillage Russia and flaunt law and order openly because of him.  They don't actually want him to go anywhere.  Sanctions and asset freezing might change things on the periphery but not that much, because these are multi-billionaires.  They've got hidden accounts and assets all over the place.  Plus, if you take a shot at the king and miss, you're dead and not in a pleasant way.  That's a pretty strong incentive for inaction.  Plus what do you think happens to the oligarchs' wealth if/when Putin is deposed?  If there's a popular uprising and a Yeltsin-style populist gets into power over Russia, great for the rest-of-world but for the oligarchs that's their heads on pikes.  At a minimum they're losing almost all of their assets.

If you're a multi-billionaire who has benefitted from the largesse of Putin and him looking the other way, would you rather:

• Take a 50% hit to your net worth in sanctions and confiscations but stay alive, or,
  • Potentially try to replace Putin with a different crony and have a high chance of dying in the process, or,
  • Wait for a popular uprising and potentially lose everything AND die?

Logically your lowest risk option is to stand pat.  Especially if the reports are true that Putin has "sequestered" the oligarchs for their "safekeeping."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I don't think so and if they do it's probably rotting away in some shipyard.  I can probably name every country that has a submarine but I don't remember anything about Ukraine.  Maybe a prototype diesel sub but I don't think that's even the case.  It's incredibly expensive to maintain one and they really have no.need for one except til now I guess

No, they don’t. Their single diesel-electric boat was seized in 2014 in Crimea. I read today they scuttled their largest surface combatant, a frigate. They aren’t going to fight the Russians in the Black Sea so better to make sure they don’t get it.  All the sailors will be more useful ashore.

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Biden administration and its key European allies have reached a preliminary agreement to bar Russian companies, oligarchs and government officials who are subject to sanctions from using the SWIFT system, essentially barring them from international financial transactions — but without interfering with gas deliveries to European nations.

The agreement, referred to in general terms by German officials and confirmed by American and European diplomats, falls short of a blanket cutoff of Russia from the financial messaging system, which some officials see as a nuclear option of sorts. Such a move would have essentially severed Russia from much of the global financial system.

The targeted approach also means that Russia, at least for now, will still be able to reap revenues from its gas sales to Germany, Italy and other European powers.

From NYT. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Translation:

Alexey Danilov:

Cocktail "Resistance" 🔥
 While our partners load planes, cars and cars with weapons for Ukraine, we are preparing our branded "brotherly" gift for the Russian bastard.
 We are arming ourselves, preparing, destroying the occupiers! 💪🇺🇦

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, troph said:

proof the rank and file of the citizens are not bad people

That’s the free Belarus flag (banned in Belarus itself).  Central Europe (most importantly the Balts and Poland) has played home for Belarusian dissidents as well as any of the less “photogenic” Belarusian dissidents and their intelligence services actively help. These guys probably crossed from Poland looking for a fight. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

No, they don’t. Their single diesel-electric boat was seized in 2014 in Crimea. I read today they scuttled their largest surface combatant, a frigate. They aren’t going to fight the Russians in the Black Sea so better to make sure they don’t get it.  All the sailors will be more useful ashore.

Absolutely the right move to scuttle it.  Their ports are unusable for the foreseeable future.  Either fight the Russians or burn it to the ground.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

All the talk about the oligarchs rising up against Putin is wish casting.  He's there because of them not in spite of them.  They've been able to pillage Russia and flaunt law and order openly because of him.  They don't actually want him to go anywhere.  Sanctions and asset freezing might change things on the periphery but not that much, because these are multi-billionaires.  They've got hidden accounts and assets all over the place.  Plus, if you take a shot at the king and miss, you're dead and not in a pleasant way.  That's a pretty strong incentive for inaction.  Plus what do you think happens to the oligarchs' wealth if/when Putin is deposed?  If there's a popular uprising and a Yeltsin-style populist gets into power over Russia, great for the rest-of-world but for the oligarchs that's their heads on pikes.  At a minimum they're losing almost all of their assets.

If you're a multi-billionaire who has benefitted from the largesse of Putin and him looking the other way, would you rather:

• Take a 50% hit to your net worth in sanctions and confiscations but stay alive, or,
  • Potentially try to replace Putin with a different crony and have a high chance of dying in the process, or,
  • Wait for a popular uprising and potentially lose everything AND die?

Logically your lowest risk option is to stand pat.  Especially if the reports are true that Putin has "sequestered" the oligarchs for their "safekeeping."

Sure. But, the flip side of that coin is 1) that doing nothing isn’t without risk, 2) if you can negotiate a deal where taking Putin down acts as a get out of jail free card where you get to keep all your shit that looks mighty nice, and 3) some of them probably hate him and resent him. 

when a despot shows weakness that opens a lot of eyes toward opportunities for people who were before hand on his side/ in his circle. That’s the offer I’d be making anyway. 

47 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Isn't that aviation equipment the Navy uses to "hear" sonobuoys to make sure that there's been no mines submerged in an area to make way for ships?  Makes little sense that they'd be searching such a confined area but maybe satellite picked up Russian vessels in that area for a prolonged period of time?  

Either way, doesn't the Poseidon usually fly like that before combat ships start making their way through a particular sea route?  Not ours, but our allies?  

Poseidon replaced the P3 Orion. Primary mission is ASW. Sonobuoys and a bunch of other detection stuff no one should be specific about 

I’d expect to see grid search… until something is detected 

• Hook 'Em 3

https://www.instagram.com/p/CacVk5ytzpC/

Some heavy fighting.

From the post:

“I can see the fighting from my window, (redacted) It is dark out and the noise is huge. Bullets are flying through the air like water from a hose.

A wounded soldier walked past our house holding his arm. He looked hurt badly and my father went to help him. The soldier yelled to my father to go away and get behind something.

We are not very close to the fighting but I can see shapes move because of the light made of the battle. In a way this is a beautiful vision to see from far away. The lights. But it is not beautiful to experience up close.

I see these lights hanging in the air must have parachutes attached to them. They hang still in the sky for a while and make the ground look white. Maybe I am unwell for thinking this is a pretty sight? It is daylight now and the smoke from the event has reached my house. I will call again later.”
- Ukrainian Civilian. Invasion of Ukraine. Morning of February 26th, 2022. Phone call transcribed by a relative.

This story was documented by @nicklaidthelaw Every witness to war has a story, and every story deserves to be told.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

The idea that modern tech allows putting teenage POWs on the phone to their parents, who don't know what's really going on, is mind boggling.

“Call your mother and tell her where you are and what you were up to.”

I swear, it is the teenage vandal at the cop shop scenario and it is perfectly brilliant from the Ukraine side. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй