Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

9 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I still like your posts. Never mind the reverse bigotry you’re rocking but whatever. I consider this site like my family so perhaps I overshare but IDGAF.  Covid and a shitty marriage nearly crushed me so if I enjoy this space it’s my deal. 

outside of that I feel like the vast majority of my posts on this thread have been good ones and on point. Have yours? or are  you so pathetically resigned to your petty hatred of me you’d rather miss out on being my friend? Your choice.

ukranian drone just took out a Russian system cool according to BBC.

You don’t need to explain yourself. People can think whatever they want for whatever reason they want, man. 

What matters in this life is what you do, not what you say. You do you and people will come around or fuck off. 

1CB97A93-CDA6-4205-9B5C-9AAB24474F8A.gif

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ho Ree Shit, China is now cutting off credits for energy sales from Russia.  WOW!

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/singapore-banks-halt-russia-commodity-101825480.html
Singapore’s biggest banks are restricting trade financing for Russian raw materials, as the war in Ukraine spurs lenders in Asia’s largest energy and commodities trading hub to reduce exposure to the sanction-hit country. …

DBS Group Holdings Ltd., Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp. and United Overseas Bank Ltd. have stopped issuing letters of credit involving Russian energy deals because of uncertainty over the course of sanctions, according to the people, who asked not to be identified as the information isn’t public.

A choke on trade financing in a top commodities hub such as Singapore could snarl the trade of some physical cargoes and add further pressure to prices, even though the U.S. and European Union sought to exclude energy from the latest round of new sanctions.

It’s not just Singapore, but China itself. Singapore is apparently responding to that signal:

Lenders in the city-state, a key trading hub for commodities trade and finance in Asia, join at least two of China’s largest state-owned banks and some banks in Europe in restricting the ability to purchase Russian commodities.

and...

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/banking/bank-of-chinas-singapore-operation-stops-financing-russian-oil-trades-source

Bank of China’s Singapore operation has stopped financing deals involving Russian oil and Russian companies, amid concerns of western sanctions following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, said a source on Monday (Feb 28) with knowledge of the matter.

Bank of China did not immediately reply to requests for comment. …

At least two of China’s largest state-owned banks are restricting financing for purchases of Russian commodities, underscoring the limits of Beijing’s pledge to maintain economic ties with one of its most important strategic partners in the face of Western sanctions.

Although China put out some tweets this a.m. condemning sanctions against Russia, that seems to be theater, and China has acted to disassociate themselves a bit from this mess (toeing a bit more distanced line).  This is like the shittiest news for what's left of Russian's energy economy (no politico/I wish the U.S. would get on board more to stop buying Russian oil - there are numerous ways around it, like a lot).  Anyway, when your one last significant BFF kind of donkey punches you, you are fooked.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

I wonder if the Ukrainians will like being subject to Brussels' whims and laws which would override Ukraine's laws, which is what happens to EU members, and why Brexit happened for the brits to get out of the EU.

But the immediate idea is for Ukraine to survive long enough to become unhappy with Brussels' EU edicts.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Ho Ree Shit, China is now cutting off credits for energy sales from Russia.  WOW!

Singapore’s biggest banks are restricting trade financing for Russian raw materials, as the war in Ukraine spurs lenders in Asia’s largest energy and commodities trading hub to reduce exposure to the sanction-hit country. …

DBS Group Holdings Ltd., Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp. and United Overseas Bank Ltd. have stopped issuing letters of credit involving Russian energy deals because of uncertainty over the course of sanctions, according to the people, who asked not to be identified as the information isn’t public.

A choke on trade financing in a top commodities hub such as Singapore could snarl the trade of some physical cargoes and add further pressure to prices, even though the U.S. and European Union sought to exclude energy from the latest round of new sanctions.

It’s not just Singapore, but China itself. Singapore is apparently responding to that signal:

Lenders in the city-state, a key trading hub for commodities trade and finance in Asia, join at least two of China’s largest state-owned banks and some banks in Europe in restricting the ability to purchase Russian commodities.

and...

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/banking/bank-of-chinas-singapore-operation-stops-financing-russian-oil-trades-source

Bank of China’s Singapore operation has stopped financing deals involving Russian oil and Russian companies, amid concerns of western sanctions following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, said a source on Monday (Feb 28) with knowledge of the matter.

At least two of China’s largest state-owned banks are restricting financing for purchases of Russian commodities, underscoring the limits of Beijing’s pledge to maintain economic ties with one of its most important strategic partners in the face of Western sanctions.

Although China put out some tweets this a.m. condemning sanctions against Russia, that seems to be theater, and China has acted to disassociate themselves a bit from this mess (toeing a bit more distanced line).  This is like the shittiest news for what's left of Russian's energy economy (no politico/I wish the U.S. would get on board more to stop buying Russian oil - there are numerous ways around it, like a lot).

Hello Corner,  this is my back. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Totally coincidentally, half of them are former Unites States Navy SEALS who still possess all of their equipment.

good luck getting there though.  wait a tick.  it says here a globemaster is taking off this afternoon for a routine training exercise that lands 3 miles from the Ukrainian border.  wouldn't you know it, there are still 100 empty seats!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

and...

Although China put out some tweets this a.m. condemning sanctions against Russia, that seems to be theater, and China has acted to disassociate themselves a bit from this mess (toeing a bit more distanced line).  This is like the shittiest news for what's left of Russian's energy economy (no politico/I wish the U.S. would get on board more to stop buying Russian oil - there are numerous ways around it, like a lot).  Anyway, when your one last significant BFF kind of donkey punches you, you are fooked.

I said long upthread that China is going to watch how the world reacts to this as a litmus test for an invasion into Taiwan or other "disputed" territories with their neighbors in Asia. I thought the world would be silent cucks but the world is rejecting this bullshit. Genocide within China's border is one thing. Invading a neighboring country may be the new line that you can't cross. Here's to hoping anyway.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

I said long upthread that China is going to watch how the world reacts to this as a litmus test for an invasion into Taiwan or other "disputed" territories with their neighbors in Asia. I thought the world would be silent cucks but the world is rejecting this bullshit. Genocide within China's border is one thing. Invading a neighboring country may be the new line that you can't cross. Here's to hoping anyway.

All China cares about is money. The math is easy. Will we sell more rubber dog shit to the West or to Russia?  Without the west's addiction to cheap manufacturing, China's economy is arguably as bad as Russia's.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

Good points, and of course I don't want to jump the gun or too broadly infer, but this seems to be a clear signal that China only goes so far.  One thing China will never do, unlike Mad Vlad, is to jump into something because it tickles their balls.  To quietly start lopping off Russian credits on about their only remaining good source of income is a subtle but decisive statement.  Like you, I'm hoping that the Chinese are seeing the amazing unification of NATO Europe and a lot of new trade customers, and responding accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, phdhorn said:

Good points, and of course I don't want to jump the gun or too broadly infer, but this seems to be a clear signal that China only goes so far.  One thing China will never do, unlike Mad Vlad, is to jump into something because it tickles their balls.  To quietly start lopping off Russian credits on about their only remaining good source of income is a subtle but decisive statement.  Like you, I'm hoping that the Chinese are seeing the amazing unification of NATO Europe and a lot of new trade customers, and responding accordingly.

China doing this is especially surprising because a Russian minister tweeted yesterday basically saying the world my be against Russia, but they have support from important countries specifically naming China.

China's response: "Yea, about that...."

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, crash_davis said:

China doing this is especially surprising because a Russian minister tweeted yesterday basically saying the world my be against Russia, but they have support from important countries specifically naming China.

Yeah, I think China is definitely trying to put a lot of distance between them and this thing, while trying to walk the tightrope.   No one will mistake them for Uncle Sam's BFF but they do need stiff trade to augment their shaky economy, and this is clearly a "best interests" thing for them.  Whether it amounts to much, or isn't eventually overturned, we'll see.

But man that's gotta hurt in the meantime.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

the moral of the story? if you are going in to invade a country, go big or go home.

plus use your air superiority to take down any competition in the air and then bomb every other strategic target to dust. then use your troops.

basically they have fucked up the invasion every was possible, exposed their military as a fraud, brought the EU together, taken a flamethrower to their economy, got GERMANY to spend 2% of their GDP on defense, push countries historically on the fence about joining NATO to potentially start the process and all of this while being led by a 70 year old who has no clear successor.

And given us a generational opportunity for cool new memes.

40 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

If you haven’t read the article the Russians mistakenly put out, it is pretty chilling:

What's pretty interesting about that is the juxtaposition of Russia (not the Soviet Union) against "the West."  I will defer to the Russia scholars, but I believe it is correct to say that for most of Russia's history, at least the Tsarist times, it was more western than eastern or anything else, despite its eastern geography and ethnicity of many of its people.

And its ruling classes, except for the Soviet era, strove to be western and never gave a fuck about any inherent "easternness" to its people, and that latter would include the Soviet regime.  It didn't give a fuck about "culture," but rather its political ideology only.  It can't honestly say that it has ever striven for an "eastern" cultural identity like many of the countries that article itemizes as being opposed to the west.

I suppose that strikes at the heart of the "problem with Russia."  It has always been dominated by western influences, even including communism, which is a western but fringe-western conception.  Yet it does have substantial "eastern" people, but they've never had any influence on the state, unless you want to count the Mongol invasion, opposition to which is Russia's raison d'etre.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Also, the Chinese may be renegotiating whatever deals they have with the Russians in real time, which is there way. No deal is ever final with them. If the landscape changes, they reserve the right to alter terms. 

“Oh, I know we discussed cash for O&G, but we’d also like to discuss ownership of that big nickel mine.”

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Only if their compliance department lets them.  Last Thursday, a giant email went out from our compliance department saying that no new Russian counterparties will be approved and that all transactions with existing counterparties have to be approved by compliance prior to execution.  I imagine approvals for transactions will be few and far between.

compliance departments... Mark Rich laughs in your general direction (well he would, if he wasn't dead).

Would an outright and verified assisination of Zelensky be WW3? Would NATO still stand aside for the time being or would that be too much? Seems like the worst possible thing Putin could do at this point other than going full nuclear.

Edited by 'stache

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

This is my only source. I tried following news media for 10 minutes but it's so far behind Surly, it's sad and pathetic.

Not to mention the constant my-team editorializing and back-patting. The CNN promos are gross. "Look how awesome we are with all our people in Ukraine."

Thanks Surly!

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Also, the Chinese may be renegotiating whatever deals they have with the Russians in real time, which is there way. No deal is ever final with them. If the landscape changes, they reserve the right to alter terms. 

“Oh, I know we discussed cash for O&G, but we’d also like to discuss ownership of that big nickel mine.”

Yeah, there was no way China wasn't going to sit back, let this play out, and take advantage of the situation at every opportunity.

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

If they can’t sell their oil, which is pretty much their sole export, then this is for the most part done in the big picture scenario.

With the rubble getting crushed and no way to quickly stabilize balance sheets by selling crude in a hard currency other than rubbles, you are going to see a level of economic devastation to international Russian firms due to monthly and quarterly interest payments on their international paper not seen in a long time.

This is a simple exercise of why currency markets exist. If your currency crashes you then move out of that currency to pay your upcoming bills by selling assets to some else for their currency. This allows time for your home currency to stabilize. If no one will buy (either because of the SWIFT ban or global political pressure) to provide you access to foreign currency then you are at the mercy of paying what is due in your home currency via an exchange rate , which will further drive down the value. 

Russian firms are either going to have to pay a huge increase because the rubble is now trash and they have limited international currency reserves and such they are going to get slaughtered on the exchange rate or will have to default.

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй