Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Your burner phone? Like your adulterer phone? Not trying to be a jerk. I just don’t know of another reason why someone has a burner phone. 

I have one. My main phone is company provided. As a result, I don’t control the account and can’t add international calling when traveling abroad. I have a Google Fi burner that I activate when I travel.

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Curious what the implications of flooding this dam are before we all cheer - loss of hydropower and/or drinking water for civilians?

If UA is in fact responsible, I assume that they calculated that the side effects were not as bad as the implications of the armored divisions reaching Kyiv. But at the very least, lots of property was destroyed and will have to be rebuilt after the war.

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think he does have some territorial ambitions. He came up under the USSR and pretty clearly sees Russia as the rightful ruler, whether directly or at least through puppets/spheres of influence, in most of that territory. Belarus and Ukraine seem to be the most important because they’re the most historically and culturally linked to Russia. Honestly, naked expansionism is one of the few explanations for this that isn’t really shredded by logic. Not to say Putin is a rational actor here or that what he’s doing is justified. Just that you can’t you can’t point out an obvious hole in that rationalization the way you can with others.

Curious what the implications of flooding this dam are before we all cheer - loss of hydropower and/or drinking water for civilians?

I think all it means is they let out enough water to flood the where the wetlands/flood plain for the river were before they built the dam to make a huge mud pit. Think more in terms of irrigation cubic feet of water being deployed rather than dam destroyed.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think he does have some territorial ambitions. He came up under the USSR and pretty clearly sees Russia as the rightful ruler, whether directly or at least through puppets/spheres of influence, in most of that territory. Belarus and Ukraine seem to be the most important because they’re the most historically and culturally linked to Russia. Honestly, naked expansionism is one of the few explanations for this that isn’t really shredded by logic. Not to say Putin is a rational actor here or that what he’s doing is justified. Just that you can’t you can’t point out an obvious hole in that rationalization the way you can with others.

As long as they didn't destroy it and just opened the flood gates it shouldn't be too bad. You have 1.3 million Ukranians gone.  That takes a lot of the demand away.  I don't think Ukraine tapped into the western European grid either. So anything they would supply is to Russia and they probably aren't.keen on that.

You know who else is shitting their pants on this, the De Beers group.  For years they have paid both the Soviets and Russians to suppress the diamond market by not flooding the market with their supply.  Given the economic realities now present, I suspect smuggling these diamonds into the market will become a major focus.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I remember our troops welding whatever metal they could find to their Humvees before the up-armored versions were produced and delivered to Iraq. I wonder if this is the Russian attempt at the same with the materials on hand with wood being more durable and as plentiful as vodka bottles. 

That's what I'm assuming.  

For those of you in need of a break: UT Baseball about to start v LSU! Shriners tournament. 

i still feel like Ukraine can win this if the weapons keep coming and foreign fighters keep signing on. I think Putin knows this. He’s fighting wars on a couple of fronts even if he’s unaware of this.

2 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Translation: The Russians entered the elevator to cover the area from the roof of the office building, and the Ukrainians turned off their power 

Have to imagine it's not a great idea getting in an elevator while invading another country.  I know stairs suck, but generally they can't be turned off.  Lazy idiots.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I remember our troops welding whatever metal they could find to their Humvees before the up-armored versions were produced and delivered to Iraq. I wonder if this is the Russian attempt at the same with the materials on hand with wood being more durable and as plentiful as vodka bottles. 

Yeah my buddy in Germany now (as an armory advisor; side note, he beat surly in letting me know the B-52s were on site early this morning) told us how they found big ass steel doors in the Iraqi homes, took them off and put them on their vehicles during his first tour.

We laughed a lot when he told us after his first night back but honestly, we were just happy he had made it back. To all those who served and dealt with supply bullshit, cheers, y’all kick ass. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Have to imagine it's not a great idea getting in an elevator while invading another country.  I know stairs suck, but generally they can't be turned off.  Lazy idiots.
It's not like they're kitted out. I wonder how much a Russian conscripts ruck weighs.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

As long as he remains in power, I think we can count on him doing something outrageous with respect to "the West" every few years whether that be invading or sword-rattling at a NATO country (seems unlikely now that he has to know that he would get his shit pushed in)  or fomenting another Brexit or destabilizing the US, or whatever.  I'm not sure that will intentionally include WWIII, or a nuclear conflict, but he's sufficiently unstable that it might regardless of his intentions.

EWGCX79UcAI_7if?format=jpg&name=small

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Unless somebody drops a grenade through a vent.  Those look like better equipped Ruskis than some of the conscripts we've seen. 

My thoughts exactly, this might be a last known photo, those guys are regulars, not conscripts.

Posting this here in case this is up anyone's alley -

https://warontherocks.com/2022/02/we-are-hiring-a-half-time-production-editor/

Metamorphic Media is looking for a smart, self-starting, and highly organized individual to be responsible for production of the Texas National Security Review as well as the journal’s social media channels. Candidates for this position must be able to set and keep deadlines, have a sharp eye for detail, and be able to work as part of a small, dynamic team. This is a half-time position (20 hours a week) that begins in April 2022.

Metamorphic Media is a privately held company that works with world-class organizations to build, operate, and grow powerful media brands related to global and military affairs. Our flagship publication is War on the Rocks and we are also proud to run the Texas National Security Review (https://tnsr.org) in partnership with the University of Texas at Austin.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

39 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I thought the problem was that Poland didn't want the F-16s because their pilots were more familiar with the MiGs and they had better access to parts and repairs for them.

Also, looks like Ukrainians do have night vision, in case that was still in question:

FNGabziWQAce1SF?format=jpg&name=large

FNGabzjXsAAKf5K?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by KYHorn
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I thought the problem was that Poland didn't want the F-16s because their pilots were more familiar with the MiGs and they had better access to parts and repairs for them.

I was told it’s impossible to make F16’s work.  Not to rehash all that shit again, especially while I’m drunk.  

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I was told it’s impossible to make F16’s work.  Not to rehash all that shit again, especially while I’m drunk.  

I believe discussion was that F-16's to Ukraine wouldn't work, because their pilots aren't trained and are a bit busy for the training right now. NATO can pick up the slack while the Polish pilots get trained. 

5 minutes ago, Pods said:

I believe discussion was that F-16's to Ukraine wouldn't work, because their pilots aren't trained and are a bit busy for the training right now. NATO can pick up the slack while the Polish pilots get trained. 

Yep.  But was told that type of plan - exactly what I said was possible...was not only a pipe dream, but if the Russians saw any US bird in the war, it would mean WW3.  Actually my old ass Dad said it was plausible.  

Anyways, not about being right.  Let’s just get them some F16’s w mercenary pilots.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I believe it's the Ukranians don't know how to fly US aircraft. So the move is to get Migs from Poland. But Poland uses those Migs and so in return wants US aircraft but that takes time (not sure if due to bureaucracy or build-time) so that they aren't short any aircraft. Poland is the main entry into Ukraine for western goods and equipment and so they have real risk to consider. (edit: for example if planes or other weapons are being transported into UKR from POL, RUS may decide to attack and there's always a chance that such an attack could carry into POL airspace, even by "mistake" so the Poles justifiably don't want to give up any firepower.)

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Pods said:

I thought Poland and Romania were handing over Russian made aircraft to Ukraine and getting F-16s as replacements. 

The Ukranians fly MIGs.  The Polish fly MIGS and F16s.  The Polish cannot legally give away F16s.  So it would be a swap the Polish gives the MIGs to the Ukrainians.  And we give them F16s.

The problem is we can't just let 70 Ukrainians jump next door to Poland and pick up fighter planes and go bomb a Russian convoy.  That is a fight with the Russians.  Hell even picking up 70 empty planes where do the Ukrainians park it.  

No one is going to let the Ukrainians fly combat missions out of their air space.  Or even fly planes there.   

Do I ship 70 MIGS by ground and let the Russians capture or destroy it?  

You can't get fighter planes over there unless you seriously want to cross a line with Russia.  A no fly zone would piss Russia off less in my opinion than giving the Ukranians a few fighter squadrons.  And it's not like the Ukrainians can't fly an F16.but it's probably not the best time to see if they know how to.

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I thought Poland and Romania were handing over Russian made aircraft to Ukraine and getting F-16s as replacements. 

I just read it again - this is what seems to be going on.  But again - if they’re pilots aren’t trained what good would that do?

1 minute ago, FartingMonk said:

The Ukranians fly MIGs.  The Polish fly MIGS and F16s.  The Polish cannot legally give away F16s.  So it would be a swap the Polish gives the MIGs to the Ukrainians.  And we give them F16s.

The problem is we can't just let 70 Ukrainians jump next door to Poland and pick up fighter planes and go bomb a Russian convoy.  That is a fight with the Russians.  Hell even picking up 70 empty planes where do the Ukrainians park it.  

No one is going to let the Ukrainians fly combat missions out of their air space.  Or even fly planes there.   

Do I ship 70 MIGS by ground and let the Russians capture or destroy it?  

You can't get fighter planes over there unless you seriously want to cross a line with Russia.  A no fly zone would piss Russia off less in my opinion than giving the Ukranians a few fighter squadrons.  And it's not like the Ukrainians can't fly an F16.but it's probably not the best time to see if they know how to.

I think we end up giving jets, specifically Migs.  Not sure how but it will get done and I agree, no combat missions taking off from anywhere but Ukraine.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I just read it again - this is what seems to be going on.  But again - if they’re pilots aren’t trained what good would that do?

Don’t know about the training part. A plane is a plane though right? I’ve flown a Baron so I could probably fly a f-16 /sarcasm