Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 hours ago, dimyh said:

@956 Worldwide @Shady Ray

Any updates on the general public perception in Germany/EU at the moment? We are past the initial shock phase and was curious how strong their sanction sentiment was running. Would love to see a quick Russian capitulation but this could easily become a multi year economic struggle. Definitely need EU on board and committed if we are ever going to bury this neo-Soviet nonsense.

Where Russia has fucked the canine here is the fact that they have no carrots left for the EU, even Germany— only sticks. And their stick is a piss poor one.  It turns out that even Western Europeans don’t like to be explicitly blackmailed, they can only swallow tacit energy blackmail. And Russia can’t eat natural gas. They have to sell it somewhere, and the infrastructure to shift to China is decades away.  They fucked around and found out, it will be painful all around but it turns out that Western Europe is rich and has real friends and is better positioned to ride this out than Russia itself. 

Now what you will see, and are seeing, is a sort of general discontent with rising costs, inflation, high gasoline prices, etc. The thing is- that will manifest itself differently across the EU bloc. They are on different election cycles, the populations have different tolerances, and no one nation is strong enough to really turn the ship around. Sanctions that bite were imposed as a bloc and they’ll only be lifted as a bloc. The East isn’t going to buckle as long as Russia keeps fucking shit up in their neighborhood.  The Germans and French tried to use diplomacy and a measured approach for as long as they could. But once Putin went in hot and out of control he lost leverage. He’s ALREADY done the worst he can do.  There’s nothing left to appease him with. So it’s hard to see Europe as a whole winding this down. Public opinion will be voiced on secondary issues and not explicitly linked to Russia and taking a softer line. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Between Russia seizing those companies' assets, and Europe deciding to wean itself off of Russian o&g, as well as the potential for Russia to fuck around in the future, yeah, I don't see most of those companies coming back for a very long time.  Not to mention the publicity - a lot of companies that tried to remain in Russia are getting absolutely dragged through the mud.  And then there is the issue of Russia trying to force companies to use the ruble as well.

Things like this are a clear sign that the EU is done with Russia:

Considering how fast American corporations lasted withholding political donations from Cruz, Hawley, et al, I don't have a lot of faith in them not going back sooner rather than later.

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Speaking of pilots, this was one of the Russian pilots captured back on March 5 (they shot down several Russians that day).

On the one hand, a lot of conscripts look malnourished/weak.  

On the other hand....Air Force or....Chair Force?

FNGCh3FXIAIpkRh?format=jpg&name=large

How do you say "McPoy" in Russian?  

1 hour ago, F250 said:

I've had a similar conversation with my kid. This kind of thing was the norm during the Cold War that the younger generations never experienced.

Regarding the concern about nuclear annihilation. Gen-X to Millenials and Gen-Z.

first time GIF

I was discussing and laughing about this with my fellow Gen x olds when the resident millennial piped in with,

" that happened in the 60s. Yall all have as much experience as I do."

You could a hear a pin drop as we all gave her the laser eyes. 

She will be getting copies of Red Dawn and The Day After with the production dates circled.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

44 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I was discussing and laughing about this with my fellow Gen x olds when the resident millennial piped in with,

She will be getting copies of Red Dawn and The Day After with the production dates circled.

PwyOH9.gif

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Russians putting their tanks/vehicles into fixed positions in a country swarming with drones looking for them, and at a time of year when their heat signature will stand way the hell out against the surrounding terrain (that is at or just above freezing).

Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office

And they aren't gonna bug out across any wheat fields.

20220326_200749.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Russians putting their tanks/vehicles into fixed positions in a country swarming with drones looking for them, and at a time of year when their heat signature will stand way the hell out against the surrounding terrain (that is at or just above freezing).

Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office

That was my first thought. They are going to glow in the dark. Dug in huh? Well, if you're gonna just sit there...

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Hunt for Red October would be an honorable mention, to show the tension that existed in the 80s.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2